Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens work shirts - non iron?

• 14-05-2015 7:53am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need some new shirts for work. I hate ironing and a few friend mentioned the non iron shirts are a lot easier. Does anyone have them and what brands are good?

Comments

I find the most comfortable convenient shirt for my work is the "common Wifebeater". Oh I work in a prison canteen!!! context is everything! ha ha ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Marks & Spencers.

But I can't say I've ever used them. The non iron trousers are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I have non-iron shirts from M&S, Olymp, and Eterna.
    What I find is that the "non-iron" treatment tends to wear out after a while and I end up ironing them anyway. Which is fine as I enjoy ironing - I find it very theraputic (don't ask !)

On saying that, they still are easier to iron than a non-non iron shirt, and have less wrinkles to start.

The best approach I find is to set them to the lowest spin on the washing machine, take them out of the machine as soon as it is finished, and hang them up to dry on a hanger. This minimises the amount of wrinkles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Some shirts are unironable bu I do find the non-iron or easy-iron ones are almost pefect once you hang them up or, worst case scenario, if you do have to iron them it is a fairly simple task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

I'veheard that the M&S ones are good although I have never used them myself. I don't know how non iron these clothes are and I assume you may actually need to give them the rub of an iron after a wash. I'm sure someone with more expertise will be along soon to tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I've had M&S non-iron and you always have to iron them, unless you want to look like you've slept in your shirt. There's no fully "non iron" shirt out there.

Bite the bullet and iron your shirts. Always iron them damp, and do enough for the week so you don't have to think about it again. Do it with music on, or on front of the TV, so you don't notice the time go by.

Worst case, bring them in bulk to a dry cleaners, they often will iron shirts for reasonably cheap.

Problem with non-iron shirts is the chemical they use to make them non-iron; not good for the material nor can I imagine for your skin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Dont worry I still iron my shirts! I bloody hate ironing though so anything that will make it easier is a plus. I have one or two shirts that come out of the wash with almost no wrinkles so 30 seconds with the iron and its good. Other need several minutes of pressing the creases out of them! Some shirts look terrible by the end of the day just wearing them!

A friend told me Banana Republic non irons are amazing - but I thought I'd ask here too

Zascar wrote: »
    Dont worry I still iron my shirts! I bloody hate ironing though so anything that will make it easier is a plus. I have one or two shirts that come out of the wash with almost no wrinkles so 30 seconds with the iron and its good. Other need several minutes of pressing the creases out of them! Some shirts look terrible by the end of the day just wearing them!

A friend told me Banana Republic non irons are amazing - but I thought I'd ask here too

It's a combination of the quality of the thread (like with bed sheets) as well as the timing. There's a sweet spot where you can iron a shirt in no time at all, not quite wet, not quite dry... I do believe the word I'm looking for is "damp". :)

But yeah. Better quality shirts will iron better. I have a shirt from Louis Copeland that irons SO well, and cheaper shirts that are a harder slog.

One tip - white shirts are harder to iron / show creases more than say check or striped shirts. No idea why, I've just always found that. I have two gingham check shirts from TM Lewin and I can iron them in about a minute each, even if completely dry. I also have white TM Lewin shirts, ostensibly the exact same shirt, that I have to rewash if I let them go dry before ironing!

So try out a check / gingham / striped shirt and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

M&S non-iron are pretty much all I buy. They do still need to be ironed but they're an awful lot easier than other shirts I own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Hey Zascar, fancy meeting you on a fashion and appearance thread :)
    I was in the same predicament last week and went into m&s and bought 6 slim/tailored fit easy iron shirts, all in white.
    They look well but defo need to be ironed.
    Hate ironing, so I am looking into getting something like this : its a steam press, looks like you just flatten out the shirt and clamp it down, as you can tell I'm no expert

v9xNTNxl.png

• Advertisement

Seems like an awful lot of money to avoid five minutes standing up with an ironing board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Maybe, but not only do I hate ironing, I'm particularly bad at it too

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I have TM Lewin non-iron shirts and they work well, they are easy to iron and much faster than the standard shirts.....

You could get something like this if you need a hand. For me I always do the collar first and then the sleeves, then the body, avoids re-creasing the body of the shirt. If you leave the sleeves last that will happen.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2285689/Trail/searchtext%3ESTEAM+IRON+GENERATOR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

Don't sweat it, it M&S...no dogging around.

Advertisement