Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Act Of Aggression.

• 14-05-2015 8:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

So the closed beta for this is on this weekend. Looking forward to it supposedly going back to what made RTS great like the c&c golden age.
    Anyone else apply get a key and so on.

From the people who made Act of War and the wargame series.

http://www.actofaggression-game.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Apologies for the bump of an old thread, but I was wondering if the OP played the closed beta? I have only just been made aware of this game and having been a huge CnC Generals, World in Conflict and general RTS fan, I would love to hear your thoughts on it. Or if somebody has played it, please do leave your impressions.

The trailer looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Yep. Only saw info about this, couple days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

just wishlisted it on steam - apparently if you preorder it you get beta access mid-july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

Me too, if its anything like c&c generals, i cant wait to play it.

Just thought I would give an update for those interested in Act of Aggression.

I bought this back in July and have been playing a little here and there. I have only really devoted time to it in the last couple of days as I was playing other games. This is CnC Generals 2.0. In fact, it is quite creepy how much it is like Generals.

Three factions: Chimera, Cartel and the U.S.

Good humour! It isn't cringeworthy like Red Alert 2/3. For example, when you select the Abrams tank he says "Abrams reporting. Bringing democracy one shell at a time", or something to that effect.

The graphics are quite nice. They aren't at the standard of the Wargame series because this is a fast-paced, plenty of explosions, plenty of units with quite large and dense maps, kinda game.

It appears to be really well built. My 5 year old laptop is able to play this game, albeit on the lowest settings, but very smooth. And having said that, my current rig (4770K, 8gb 2133Mhz RAM, R9 290) can't max out the settings as it dips below 60fps.

A good sountrack! Fast, adrenaline pumping music along the lines of a CnC game.

A lot of units and tech upgrades! A lot to choose from so you can really focus on what type of army you want to build.

The resource management system is a little complex. There are 3 resources: oil, aluminIum( :P ), and rare earths. From what I understand, oil is converted into cash which is used to buy things. Where as aluminium and rare earths are needed for the more advanced tech stuff. Sometimes you need a combination of all three to buy certain units or upgrades. There are also banks you can occupy with troops (the more troops the greater the output) and they provide a steady flow of cash.

The 3 factions feel very different, but I haven't noticed serious balancing issues (yet!). I have been mostly playing US, and a little of Chimera.

The game is still in beta and the developer has been adding content over the last few weeks (the Cartel faction were added recently).

There is no tutorial mode yet, which is disappointing as you are kinda landed in it when you start Multiplayer or Skirmish.

Overall, this is Generals 2.0 or as close as we will (probably) ever get to a new CnC Generals. There are certainly Starcraft 2 elements as the game feels a little faster-paced than Generals. This is NOT a new Wargame. I feel bad for the developers (Eugen Systems - who made Wargame) as they are getting a lot of flack from general idiots on the forums complaining about how this is a $hit sequel to Wargame. This isn't meant to be Wargame. If you like CnC Generals, Starcraft, other CnC titles you will enjoy this game. I can't wait to get home and dive into this again.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will do my best to answer them!

Act of Aggression is currently priced at €38 on Steam (15% off for pre-ordering) and it launches on September 2nd.

• Advertisement

Have a Q for ya ;)

Is there any urban battles?

I was a huge fan of 'World in Conflict' and loved fighting it out in cities, going building to building, blasting and ruining the place as I go.

Also: any suicide / terrorist units like in Generals?

Have a Q for ya ;)

Is there any urban battles?

I was a huge fan of 'World in Conflict' and loved fighting it out in cities, going building to building, blasting and ruining the place as I go.

Also: any suicide / terrorist units like in Generals?

Hmm, there are areas of the map that are built up and you can station men in the buildings for defensive/ambush bonuses. The banks are usually located in urban areas.

No terrorist units. The Cartel are more like mercenaries for hire. From what I have seen so far they don't have a unit that can blow itself up. :)

Falthyron wrote: »
    Hmm, there are areas of the map that are built up and you can station men in the buildings for defensive/ambush bonuses. The banks are usually located in urban areas.

No terrorist units. The Cartel are more like mercenaries for hire. From what I have seen so far they don't have a unit that can blow itself up. :)

Cheers :)

Pity though, I like the GLA type action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

got a refund for this game just their.

played a total of 14 hours of it, have it 3 weeks i guess steam gave me a refund due to it still be in early access.

Anyway I enjoyed the game, minor things annoyed me and the balancing is decent (although its not perfect yet) chimera are OP in my opinion

but the reason for the refund is I just dont have the time to put the hours into this game, I love strategy games but I think I am past my time of quick button and mouse reflexs and hotkeys etc...

but its worth a buy for any c&c fan :)

This has just been released, but if you want the 15% discount you have until 6pm this evening (GMT) to buy it.

Going to get stuck into the Single Player campaign later! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Falthyron wrote: »
    This has just been released, but if you want the 15% discount you have until 6pm this evening (GMT) to buy it.

Going to get stuck into the Single Player campaign later! :D

From the reviews I've read the single player campaign is kind of bad and phoned in, it's multiplayer where this game will live or die.

Advertisement