Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spar in Ballinteer.

Options
  • 14-05-2015 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

I was passing down Ballinteer Avenue the other morning - it looks like the Spar in Ballinteer is closed down. When did this happen? Also the newsagents in superquinn up the road is closed. These two shops have been around since the late 1970's - I wonder why they closed down now, what with the upturn in the economy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Ages ago, check the south dublin county forum for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I see it now. But not much information why it shut down other then competition with Centra. I always felt it offered a better/wider range of products then the centra on ballinteer road.

Very few independent newsagent/grocers these days - everything is either centra/spar or londis.

Centra used to be Lawlors grocery store (which also housed the post office) and spar used to be called 'Merry Go-Round'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Good riddance to it.

I had a "very polite" conversation with the owner one night as he tried to charge me €2 each for 2L bottles of Ballygowan water that were clearly marked with the €1 promotional price label. Suffice to say I didn't accept getting ripped off in that fashion.

Its mickey mouse crap like that that turns customers away, so I have no sympathy when hearing that they closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Good riddance to it.

I had a "very polite" conversation with the owner one night as he tried to charge me €2 each for 2L bottles of Ballygowan water that were clearly marked with the €1 promotional price label. Suffice to say I didn't accept getting ripped off in that fashion.

Its mickey mouse crap like that that turns customers away, so I have no sympathy when hearing that they closed down.

He was also a 'cash only' merchant

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭srfc d16

Good riddance to it.

Multipack bars being taken out of the packet and sold in the little tubs on the counter always seemed strange to me. I was always a bit suspicious of the 2 finger kitkats that had the paper (with the bb date on it) taken off them with just the foil left on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement