Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translating a CV into employer friendly language

Options
  • 14-05-2015 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Looking to change jobs after twelve years and need impartial professional advice to translate my CV into employer-legible language. My role has been pretty specific (community work, training, communications), but I have a developed a lot of skills around it and I'm not clear about how to prioritise and present the overall to a wider audience. I contacted a recruitment company but they just wanted a finalised CV uploaded to a website. Any recommendations on where I could find a CV-whisperer in the midwest!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Never heard of a CV whisperer. Your CV should be tailored for every new job you are applying for. That's the theory of it at least. I do know a few people who just update their CV every time they change jobs, but continue getting a stream of inquiries from job agencies. It seem to depend on how transferable your skills are. What kind of work are you now hoping to secure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 autumnrain

Thanks Greenmachine.
    I work in a small very specific training and development groups. My skills are transferable, (facilitation, training, management), and I have completed studies in leadership and management recently and want to use that learning. I am, and will be, applying to adult education services, community development networks etc. and I'm clear on the areas I want to get into.
    As I apply however, I realise that my description of my work is not helping as it sounds so specific and a lot less transferable than it actually is. (I'm not in a position to give examples here, but I'm basically talking myself down not up).
    I also am having difficulty with a lot of the newest terminology in government agencies, and am unclear about levels/expertise being requested.
    So I would like to have an hour or two with someone who could clarify a few points and have a look at how legible my CV is to potential employers in my areas of interest. It seems a good use of my time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As Greenmachine mentioned, you really need to tailor your cv to specific jobs you are applying for so that you can relate your own directly relevant experience.

Advertisement