Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta issue

Options
  • 14-05-2015 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

I signed up to a Setanta offer last month to watch a single game. I emailed after the game requesting a cancellation. They emailed back to say they cannot accept cancellations for the first ten days and there is a minimum subscription of two months.

My argument is that (a) the offer was misleading as there was no mention of two month minimum and (b) that the cancellation rule was misleading as all that was mentioned was that 30 days notice was required.

Both of these points appear to be hidden in the terms and conditions.

Offer: http://i61.tinypic.com/2btljb.jpg

Do I have a leg to stand on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Tusky wrote: »
    I signed up to a Setanta offer last month to watch a single game. I emailed after the game requesting a cancellation. They emailed back to say they cannot accept cancellations for the first ten days and there is a minimum subscription of two months.

My argument is that (a) the offer was misleading as there was no mention of two month minimum and (b) that the cancellation rule was misleading as all that was mentioned was that 30 days notice was required.

Both of these points appear to be hidden in the terms and conditions.

Offer: http://i61.tinypic.com/2btljb.jpg

Do I have a leg to stand on?

Clearly in the offer it states no contract and 30 days notice to cancel. Take a screenshot of the offer and get on to Advertising Standards. Have you outlined the above to setanta?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Seems fairly simple.

Even if you cancle the following day, month 2 payment will be due before 30day cancellation can be effected, so 2 x 9.99 payments will be made before cancellation would be valid.

The only way you could possibly argue is if you signed up in a 31 day month and this meant 30days would still fall within the first month.

But my guess is somewhere it says that you agree to T&C's - possibly even in your original contract with your TV provider.

delahuntv wrote: »
    Seems fairly simple.

Even if you cancle the following day, month 2 payment will be due before 30day cancellation can be effected, so 2 x 9.99 payments will be made before cancellation would be valid.

The only way you could possibly argue is if you signed up in a 31 day month and this meant 30days would still fall within the first month.

But my guess is somewhere it says that you agree to T&C's - possibly even in your original contract with your TV provider.

But the cancellation notice was given on the same day, thats 30 days from the original day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

second thing on their subscrition faq's - also in T&C's - so not hidden and quite well flagged.

Can I get Setanta Sports for just one month?

We offer our customers a minimum subscription term of two months and we won’t tie you in to a contract for a year. You may cancel your subscription any time after the first ten days of your initial subscription by providing us with 30 days notice which will take effect 30 days after your next billing date.

delahuntv wrote: »
    second thing on their subscrition faq's - also in T&C's - so not hidden and quite well flagged.

Can I get Setanta Sports for just one month?

We offer our customers a minimum subscription term of two months and we won’t tie you in to a contract for a year. You may cancel your subscription any time after the first ten days of your initial subscription by providing us with 30 days notice which will take effect 30 days after your next billing date.

It doesn't say that on the screen the op linked to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Clearly in the offer it states no contract and 30 days notice to cancel. Take a screenshot of the offer and get on to Advertising Standards. Have you outlined the above to setanta?

I have emailed them and am awaiting a response. It's all well and good having terms and conditions, but that doesn't mean that your offer/advert/whatever can be intentionally misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

It doesn't say that on the screen the op linked to.
    It's a screenshot of part of a webpage, there's a link to the FAQs and the T&Cs at the bottom of the webpage which the screenshot does not show.

They agreed to cancel the account and won't be taking further moneys from my account. Fair play to them. Good customer service in fairness. Still think key terms like that should be displayed clearly in the main part of an offer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Think you were lucky there,it is not an on demand channel and if everyone started signing up to see 1 game and cancelled after final whistle where would they be?.
    Would probably up the price for everyone else to cover their costs.

sham58107 wrote: »
    Think you were lucky there,it is not an on demand channel and if everyone started signing up to see 1 game and cancelled after final whistle where would they be?.
    Would probably up the price for everyone else to cover their costs.

The way I see it I paid €9.99 for one game which is a hefty price. If I knew you had to sign up for a minimum of three months I wouldn't have done it, and they would be €9.99 down. People should know what they are signing up to - the offer should be clearer. I'm guilty of not reading the terms and conditions but the main details of the offer should be clearly displayed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement