Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memphis,Texas,New Orleans

Options
  • 14-05-2015 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Is this route realistic with a 7 days between Memphis and New Orleans? Is it worth goin to Texas? Is there much to do and see there or is there better places to go and visit in the other direction eg Mississippi Alabama Georgia ? Would like to spend some time in smaller citys or even the bigger ones if there is fun stuff to do. Any advice ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

where in texas? what mode of transport are we talking; flying, driving?

i have been to biloxi which is about 90 minutes drive east of new orleans and thats like a mini vegas (if gambling and a beach is your thing). east of that then you are talking the northern florida beach cities of pensacola, panama city beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

rossie1977 wrote: »
    where in texas? what mode of transport are we talking; flying, driving?

i have been to biloxi which is about 90 minutes drive east of new orleans and thats like a mini vegas (if gambling and a beach is your thing). east of that then you are talking the northern florida beach cities of pensacola, panama city beach.

Renting car in Memphis dropping it off in New Orleans . Nowhere in particular in texas we are open to suggestions where ever people can recommend in any of the states or citys within that radius . Which side offers more for someone who has never been before down florida and the gulf of Mexico coast or through Texas and over to New Orleans

Thanks for reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Memphis to Dallas is 8 hours drive on a good day, probably would allow 12 hours in case...and around 18 in total to Austin (my personal favorite city in Texas) Personally, I would skip texas altogether and drive down through arkansas to New Orleans.

The other side of it, what time of year are you talking about doing this? Weather up until September in the plains is uncomfortable to downright dangerous if you aren't used to driving in bad thunderstorms/tornado weather...not to mention the heat and humidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

Memphis to Dallas is 8 hours drive on a good day, probably would allow 12 hours in case...and around 18 in total to Austin (my personal favorite city in Texas) Personally, I would skip texas altogether and drive down through arkansas to New Orleans.

The other side of it, what time of year are you talking about doing this? Weather up until September in the plains is uncomfortable to downright dangerous if you aren't used to driving in bad thunderstorms/tornado weather...not to mention the heat and humidity.

Will be going early june. Ya we have looked into stopping off in arkasas for a day or two fishing . Texas was just a idea in some of the people travelling with suggested so tought we would get some info on it and come up with a provisional plan . Is there any smaller citys to visit. We were thinking of visiting Dallas Austin or Houston and maybe stop of smaller places along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Renting car in Memphis dropping it off in New Orleans . Nowhere in particular in texas we are open to suggestions where ever people can recommend in any of the states or citys within that radius . Which side offers more for someone who has never been before down florida and the gulf of Mexico coast or through Texas and over to New Orleans

Thanks for reply

I would certainly skip Texas. Have you saved 3/4 days for New Orleans? There's also the Bayou outside NO with is worth exploring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Not sure what the draw is for Texas. Must come from TV.

Basically, Austin is the only place worth seeing. I hear. Never been to Austin. Only been to the less interesting parts of Texas - and there are many.

I agree with InTheTrees. NOLA is where you should spend time. Do some research beforehand. Bourbon St may seem like the place to be, but there are many more interesting parts of the city. Me, I'd stay in the Garden District, right on the trolley line. Go visit some old cemeteries, walk some of the fancier neighborhoods (you'll be amazed), eat at Commander's Palace, find some neighborhood bars. Another favorite: drive out to one of the old plantations. Oh, there's a six Flags in New Orleans. It's closed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

"N'Warlins" is well worth a visist alright but be careful visiting the cemeteries, apparently there are a few homeless people living in some of them and there have been a few incidents of crime in some of them particularly the ones surrounded by large walls where people can't really see into them. There are plenty of organised tours that bring you into one of them and explain what it is about them that make them so unique.
    We did one a few weeks back when I was there and it was well worth it, it was a small minibus with about twenty people on it, it did a tour of all the city and the suburbs, the French Quarter, some of the wards including the lower ninth ward (Hurricane Katrina), the nicer more exclusive areas, the lake, the levees, the garden District, the park and a brief stop in a cemetery. It takes about two to two and a half hours and shows you all you need to see.
    Go see Bourbon Street, the Americans rave about it but to be honest it's just like a bigger version of Temple Bar only with drunken adults instead of drunken kids falling about the place or 'Pard-eeeing" as the Americans call it....

Advertisement