Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

political avatars.....

Options
  • 14-05-2015 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭

What's the boards policy on this?

Seen a few of these 'Vote Yes' avatars around the site and regardless of how I'm voting I think we have had enough with the million signs up around the place!

Not looking for a political/morale argument here just saying I come on boards for a break from the norm.....
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Moving from Politics (General) to Feedback. Might be a more suitable place for your query. The mods there will decide if it is suitable and if so they can unlock it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

/reopens thread

Unlike, for example, RTE, Boards is not required to give equal time or space to both sides of the debate. If people want to make a silent statement with their avatars (like my own, as it happens) then there's no reason they can't. Nobody will be asked to remove their "pin". :)

Like sigs, avatars are only subject to to general site rules concerning shilling or inappropriate material.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,093 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Coming from modding a forum with stringent no-politics rules in effect (R&R) we've never had any issues with sigs or avatars (eg. "Sherlock Moment," or hell even my own sig). I guess it wouldn't be a problem unless it was a problem (eg. someone uses a graphic abortion-issue image as their avatar or sig).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tbh, is it not a good, informative thing?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

K-9 wrote: »
    Tbh, is it not a good, informative thing?

Can only speak for myself, as someone who is very middle of the road not really invested in the whole thing either way....

It's getting a bit much, as these things tend to do, as I stated, signs everywhere, Facebook dwateoyed, radio shows dominated by it.... Again, as I said come on board to get a break from it all and was just wondering if there was some sort of policy against this, obviously not so can close this and move on!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You can always disable sigs/avatars until after the election if it's really annoying you

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Can only speak for myself, as someone who is very middle of the road not really invested in the whole thing either way....

It's getting a bit much, as these things tend to do, as I stated, signs everywhere, Facebook dwateoyed, radio shows dominated by it.... Again, as I said come on board to get a break from it all and was just wondering if there was some sort of policy against this, obviously not so can close this and move on!

Why would you expect a massive discussion forum, a place where people talk and debate about stuff on their minds, their opinions, their feelings - to _not_ be a place for showing one's colours; be they rainbow or not?!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

As far as I understand, all of the main political parties are advocating a Yes vote, so this doesn't seem like it could be political. (sorry if you don't like my sig :o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

This thread inspired me to change my avatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Define "political".

Work and Jobs had a thread where some posters were firmly convinced that the gay-marriage referendum is a human rights issue, not a political one. They weren't even vaguely swayed when I said if it's subject to a vote in the country, then it's political.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Define "political".

Work and Jobs had a thread where some posters were firmly convinced that the gay-marriage referendum is a human rights issue, not a political one. They weren't even vaguely swayed when I said if it's subject to a vote in the country, then it's political.

So voting to give women the vote or to ban slavery means women voting and slavery are political issues, not human rights issues?

Interesting.....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Cabaal wrote: »
    So voting to give women the vote or to ban slavery means women voting and slavery are political issues, not human rights issues?

Interesting.....

I never said it wasn't a human rights issue.

But I said it was a political issue. Which seems to be the opinion of the person who started this thread, at least.

They aren't mutually exclusive.

And this nicely makes my point: how does someone seeking to ban political avatars decide which issues are political and which aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

Cabaal wrote: »

Interesting.....

I believe it falls under human rights, it is only a political issue for the government of the day that wishes to extend human rights to everyone.

Hate to state the obvious here but political or not, since when did Boards become a place to escape this kind of issue It's a forum for every kind of discussion. The OP originally posted this thread in the Politics forum, for jaysus sake. Ridiculous argument. Like going on your holidays to Greece to escape the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Hate to state the obvious here but political or not, since when did Boards become a place to escape this kind of issue It's a forum for every kind of discussion. The OP originally posted this thread in the Politics forum, for jaysus sake. Ridiculous argument. Like going on your holidays to Greece to escape the sun.

Where would you like me to ask a question about a political avatars?

It's hardly a riduclous argument..... You'll notice I have that singular post in that section, hence you should be able to deduce from that, I was looking for advice in an area of the site of which u was unfamiliar....

Hence my annoyance at the bombardment of the entire issue....

And like I said, I have no preference either wayhow the vote goes..... that is not the point I was making. I never said boards was a place I could 'escape the issue' But there are sub forums such as 'politics' where I can easily avoid this issue entirely, which is my right.... But when others choose to amend their avatars then if goes outside that sub forum into the main site domain.... My point was very very simple, don't be so dramatic please.... As you put it 'jaysus sake'

Anyhow, the question has obviously been answered so why can this not be closed?

It's hardly a riduclous argument..... You'll notice I have that singular post in that section, hence you should be able to deduce from that, I was looking for advice in an area of the site of which u was unfamiliar....

And like I said, I have no preference either wayhow the vote goes..... that is not the point I was making. I never said boards was a place I could 'escape the issue' But there are sub forums such as 'politics' where I can easily avoid this issue entirely, which is my right.... But when others choose to amend their avatars then if goes outside that sub forum into the main site domain.... My point was very very simple, don't be so dramatic please.... As you put it 'jaysus sake'

Tbh, I use real life to get away from Boards.

Not too sure what point you were making but best of luck with it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

get busy livin' brah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Cuban Pete

You've excellent taste in music, efb.

Advertisement