Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB - Bike size

• 14-05-2015 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi guys,

From what I can see a lot of 5'10" people uses Medium, is there anybody else of my height that uses Large?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Yanu wrote: »
    Hi guys,

From what I can see a lot of 5'10" people uses Medium, is there anybody else of my height that uses Large?

Thanks

6' and ride a medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Hi guys,

Thanks

I'm 5'9 and use a medium, I've tried a large frame that my friend has and had a bit of difficulty controlling it as well as my medium frame, although completely different bikes - just felt a little...stretched on the larger frame, I think if maybe your legs were particularly long maybe you might want a larger frame then?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Yanu

Thanks guys.
    I don't have long legs, I'm kind of well proportioned I guess…
    At the moment I use a 27.5 hard tail and it's a large. I find it comfortable but I'm not very experienced, only started 4 months ago and don't really know what to look for when choosing the size. I'm now shopping for a ful sus and I'm a bit concerned as they are pricey and don't want to throw money away.
    I sat on a process 153 medium the other day and I found it too small, the large seemed to fit better. Of course I have only tried it in the car park of the shop and not on the trail. It seemed I was falling towards the front of the bike…
    As I said, I don't know much about it and looking to see if anybody else is 5'10" and feels the same way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Thanks guys.
    At the moment I use a 27.5 hard tail and it's a large. I find it comfortable but I'm not very experienced, only started 4 months ago and don't really know what to look for when choosing the size. I'm now shopping for a ful sus and I'm a bit concerned as they are pricey and don't want to throw money away.
    I sat on a process 153 medium the other day and I found it too small, the large seemed to fit better. Of course I have only tried it in the car park of the shop and not on the trail. It seemed I was falling towards the front of the bike…
    As I said, I don't know much about it and looking to see if anybody else is 5'10" and feels the same way

It really depends on the bike. I had a shot of a medium Process at a demo day and I felt ok on the medium - I'm 5'4". The small Precept was too small for me. There's a size chart on the Kona site if you haven't seen it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Thanks guys.

I would say if you're new and looking for a full sus you should probably go with a medium for your size, probably the main reason why you feel the medium is small is because your used to the bigger size but you will quickly adjust, for the longer rides and the steep assents and descents you want something that fits just right really...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

I'd go with a larger frame, but shorter stem and wider bars. Unlike road biking, long stem doesn't help on MTB. Cramped cockpit will really feel wrong on steeper descends.

Most manufacturers have sizing charts, worth checking them. Recommended sizes differ amongst models even within same brand.

I'm 6"2 and ride XL.

From the kona website 5'6" to 5'10" can use small and medium, 5'9" to 6' can use medium and large.
    Basically I could use any bike?!?! :)
    Thanks for answers

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nordicb

If you have access to both M and L, worth checking if you can see front wheel axle through handlebars while seated normally on proper saddle height and position. You knee ball has to be approx over pedal axle when pedal cranks are horizontal.
    If the wheel axle is inside, but not too much, you may feet shorter stem and wider bars to improve handling, that would be a good size to get. If it is outside, the bike is too small. This applies more to road bikes, but works quite well on MTBs, that do not have crazy geometry.

Kind regards

nordicb wrote: »
    If you have access to both M and L, worth checking if you can see front wheel axle through handlebars while seated normally.
    If the axle is inside, but not too much, you may feet shorter stem and wider bars to improve handling, that would be a good size to get. If it is outside, the bike is too small. This applies more to road bikes, but works quite well on MTBs, that do not have crazy geometry.

Kind regards

Thanks, I'll check that out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm 6ft 3 and use a medium (both hard-tail bikes, 26" wheels). I prefer having something I can stand over and move/throw about. That said, whilst my Orange feels like a medium, my Klein frame 'feels' larger; so your mileage may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer & model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Very much depends on the brand and your riding style. I'm 5'11" and have ridden Medium in the past but have switched to Large for the last couple of bikes. I prefer the stability of the larger frame but I'm a bit of a "Wuss"! Most of my mates would advise going with the smaller frame for it's "chuckability"! Try and get a spin on both before buying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I'm 5'10" and have a 19" Trek, that would prob be considered borderline between medium and large, and it's very comfortable and controllable.

On the other hand, took my wifes 15" Merida out on the trail and it was impossible to stay off the front (but she is 5'2" after all), a sure sign the top tube was too short, if you're buying and a large seems the slightest bit on the long side for reach, remember you can buy a shorter stem, just try a few bikes, if you can throw the bike around and hang comfortably off the back, while also being comfortably seated, you're on to a winner, the last place you want to be on a mountain bike is over the front. Size is just a guide, but ask the advice of the staff also, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Advertisement