Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good olive oil in glass bottles, not too dear

Options
  • 14-05-2015 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Lidl has been my olive oil source for the last few years - I buy six bottles and work my way through them, then buy six more.

But now Lidl has stopped using glass bottles and is using plastic. I don't mind plastic for some things, but I'm not cracked on it for oil, worrying about possible cancer implications.

http://www.nrdc.org/living/shoppingwise/food-storage-containers.asp

Where can I now get olive oil as nice as Lidl's and at as good a price, but not in plastic containers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭livingthedream

Hi,

Light degrades olive oil apparently so it's best to not buy in glass bottles.

As you like to buy in bulk anyway, why not buy a 5ltr tin of it and decant a small amount into a fancy bottle for daily use as needed?

That's what I do, I usually get it from http://thebestofitaly.ie/ along with a couple of other items once every so often and have it delivered.

~LTD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Lidl's glass bottles were dark green, so light wasn't a question.

The oil sold by Best of Italy is €30 for five litres; Lidl's oil was €18.65 for five litres. A reasonable price is part of my requirement ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Joolzie

Why not treat yourself to a bottle of the new and eclectic Camelina oil, and enjoy it while you decide? It has more health benefits than olive oil, and is made from false flax. Newgrange Farm in Co Meath make it, they do the Rapeseed oil as well. You can buy it in glass bottle in Dunnes Stores. Tesco are going to do it, but it's not in stock there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Joolzie, my fallbacks are Irish organic rape oil and camelina oil, the rape delicious in vinaigrette. But I liked that Lidl olive oil in the green bottles. What a pity.

Joolzie, my fallbacks are Irish organic rape oil and camelina oil, the rape delicious in vinaigrette. But I liked that Lidl olive oil in the green bottles. What a pity.

I feel your pain..:) That oil was unbelievable VFM. 750mls for €3.29, I used my share of it. Prolly the best VFM now would be Tesco Italian green O/Oil 500mls for €3.49 in glass bottle. I'll let you know if I discover anything better.

• Advertisement

Joolzie, my fallbacks are Irish organic rape oil and camelina oil, the rape delicious in vinaigrette. But I liked that Lidl olive oil in the green bottles. What a pity.[/QUO

Well don't loose hope yet. I was out shopping this morning in Dunnes. What did I see? 750mls
    virgin olive oil, glass bottle for €3.29.
    Knock yourself out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Off topic but I was shopping with a Macedonian friend of mine some time back ahead of a barbecue. She spent more on olive oil than I spent on Bourbon. It was eye opening.

Advertisement