Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Looking for bike advice!

• 14-05-2015 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi guys,

Long story short, passed my theory, applied for licence, booked IBT for next week. Im looking to get onto a bike as soon as possible, as I need a new form of transport. Have the gear ready to go also.

First question; What bikes would you suggest to start looking at? Im 19, A2 learner licence, budget of about 2500-2700 euro. No bike preference at all, so long as it is reliable, and NOT a scooter.
    I was looking at Kawasaki Ninja 250R, which is in around my price range for a 08 bike, but theres only 1 or 2 of those up for sale. I was also looking at the 250 Yamaha Dragstar, which is also within my price range for the 2003-2005 years.
    Any opinions regarding those 2 bikes, or any more suggestions?

Second question; Does the year of the bike really matter? I mean, bikes usually have a hilarious mileage compared to cars, and are not that "worn out" mechanically. Should I keep my options open for bikes before 2003?

Third question; Im getting quotes from Liberty, for roughly 1,000 - 1,100 euro for both the Ninja 250R (09), and 250 Dragstar (04) assuming I will get a level 4 liberty assessment during my IBT, which is not all that bad, but are there any other companies I should look into?

Think thats all I have to ask for now,
    Please feel free to correct me if Ive said something wrong. Any advice and tips will be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

First do your ibt and then you should know a lot more than you know now.
    The 2 bikes you mentioned are totally different bikes with a big difference on insurance costs. Different riding positions, etc.
    I suggest that you try the school bikes and see how they feel.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Liberty is the only company AFAIK that will insure you at 19.
    I would recommend the CB500, but don't think they will quote you on anything bigger than a 250.

What style of bike do you like?

I would go for a naked bike, somewhere in between a sportbike and cruiser.
    A nice comfortable riding position and no fairings to damage when you end up dropping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vladpills

Hi,

LookBehindYou, I have already tried riding both a cruiser which was a Virago 125, and a CBR125 on private property multiple times to get the idea of how the different styles of both bikes feel. While I did enjoy the sharper turning ability of a CBR, I also liked the "slow and heavy", stretch your arm kind of feeling of the Virago. From THAT experience, I found both of the bikes extremely enjoyable to ride, and could not pin-point any reason why I would pick one over another. Especially in the kind of red light green light red light riding I plan to be doing. Perhaps the it vastly depends on the model, and ofcourse engine size, and I will follow your advice regarding IBT and get the instructor what things I should consider and look for.
    Regarding the insurance.....30 euro difference.

Pugzilla , Carole Nash offered a premium of about 1200 for each of the bikes, but still more expensive than liberty. Afraid not :/ Im bound to 250, but im sure itll be more than enough for commuting :) Like I said, from what ive tried so far, I liked both cruiser and sportbike.
    You hit the nail on the head with the "naked bike", though I didnt have the chance to try one yet, I would imagine its between a sportsbike and cruiser.....bit of both worlds, but its hard to find one, of a decent year, for a decent price, with only a 250 engine :/
    I was looking at a Suzuki Inazuma 250, very new, but they are abit out of my price range, and then turned to Hornet 250.....thus the question regarding old bikes, because most of them are roughly 20 years old but fairly cheap.

Thanks for the advice lads. much appreciated.

Feel free to throw more bike suggestions, what makes and models I could have a look in if youve any ideas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Vladpills

Hi,

LookBehindYou, I have already tried riding both a cruiser which was a Virago 125, and a CBR125 on private property multiple times to get the idea of how the different styles of both bikes feel. While I did enjoy the sharper turning ability of a CBR, I also liked the "slow and heavy", stretch your arm kind of feeling of the Virago. From THAT experience, I found both of the bikes extremely enjoyable to ride, and could not pin-point any reason why I would pick one over another. Especially in the kind of red light green light red light riding I plan to be doing. Perhaps it vastly depends on the model, and ofcourse engine size, and I will follow your advice regarding IBT and get the instructor to show me what things I should consider and look for.
    Regarding the insurance.....30 euro difference.

Pugzilla , Carole Nash offered a premium of about 1200 for each of the bikes, but still more expensive than liberty.
    Afraid not :/ Im bound to 250, but im sure itll be more than enough for commuting :) Like I said, from what ive tried so far, I liked both cruiser and sportbike.
    You hit the nail on the head with the "naked bike", though I didnt have the chance to try one yet, I would imagine its between a sportsbike and cruiser.....bit of both worlds, but its hard to find one, of a decent year, for a decent price, with only a 250 engine :/
    I was looking at a Suzuki Inazuma 250, very new, but they are abit out of my price range, and then turned to Hornet 250.....thus the question regarding old bikes, because most of them are roughly 20 years old but fairly cheap.

Thanks for the advice lads. much appreciated.

Feel free to throw more bike suggestions, what makes and models I could have a look in if youve any ideas :)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I think the hornet 250 is a great bike, it's a 4 cylinder as well so makes more power than most other 250s.

As you said they're on the old side, but that means it will hurt less if you damage it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Honda Rebel 250, Suzuki Marauder GZ250, Kymco Venox 250 for cruiser styles.

Honda CBR250R, Kawasaki Ninja 300, Hyosung GT250R for street/sports style.

Be aware that an R in the vehicle model designation gives insurance companies free reign to ass-rape you without lube :D

Advertisement