Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! FRENCH - predictions, guesses and discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭linguist

Stooped, I've been told and I think you can take it as being true, that the papers can be finalised quite late. For example, in 2013, the horse meat scandal broke in January and made the paper.

My main reasons for believing that Charlie Hebdo won't come up are that I can't see terrorism fitting with the syllabus and the level of controversy involved. Now, let's not think for one minute that those setting the paper didn't anticipate people would be thinking like this, and that's why I have a niggling feeling about a question on reading habits which might allow you a passing reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lala0815

Any one have any phrases on water charges ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 25696951

I was just wondering if it is okay to copy a full sentence from the articles that need to be answered in french.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Yeah- unless it needs to be manipulated like if it says What did Charlie do everymorning? and In the text the speaker is Charlie saying I walked every morning unless it says Trouvez or Citez then you have to say He went for a walk every morning :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Jm12334567

Can anybody help me out need a few phrases for the environment and alcohol any help would be much appreciated !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hannahdfghjkl

What are the grind school teachers predicting?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 25696951

Yeah- unless it needs to be manipulated like if it says What did Charlie do everymorning? and In the text the speaker is Charlie saying I walked every morning unless it says Trouvez or Citez then you have to say He went for a walk every morning :P

will I still get marks if it is not manipulated?? btw thanks for telling me :)

25696951 wrote: »
    will I still get marks if it is not manipulated?? btw thanks for telling me :)

Yout like 2 or 3 out of the 5- generally its an easy manipulation so if you change it do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BuckleyCX

I am doing ordinary level French as a single subject in order to satisfy the entry requirements for NUI colleges. I was hoping somebody could clarify the following for me. For the written expression, the marking scheme states:
    Two points required for 5 marks (3 + 2)

And this is what you are asked for, as per the marking scheme again:
    C1 - There is no food in the house / at the moment.
    C2 - You have gone to the butcher’s / to buy some meat.
    C3 - You will make the dinner / this evening.

I am just wondering if that is what they are considering two points - for example, C3: are "you will make the dinner" and "this evening" considered the "two points required"?

I would greatly appreciate any clarification as I have no teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Can anyone help me out on what I should focus on for tomorrow?
    I'm looking for about 425 points but the thing is I got a D1 in the mock (with a crap oral) but I need a C2. Is this possible? My actual oral went sooooo much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

I didn't see a thread for French, so uh, work away lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 k0tryy

I'm absolutely terrified of tomorrow, I've got French hl and history hl both for which I've studied a bit but I don't think I'm prepared at all. Any advice on how to study for French the night before? Any tips on what topics to cram? History is gonna destroy me so I'm focused on french

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Quarks wrote: »
    I didn't see a thread for French, so uh, work away lads.
    You didn't look too hard! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

So how is it going to go down - Listening first or after ? Timetable shows it after, but for some reason I think it was on first last year..
    I have History after, so I'll be trying to bomb the exam as quickly as possible, so that I can study for History, though if it's after.. will they let me leave? The french exam is a really short one, you can finish it within 90min., 2.30hours is way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

You didn't look too hard! :p:D

Ah ****e, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Quarks wrote: »
    Ah ****e, sorry.
    Lol, no worries! :p

How do you guys study for the comprehensions???? I have a fear I wont understand it at all..I really need to do well in this and I want to so badly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

How do you guys study for the comprehensions???? I have a fear I wont understand it at all..I really need to do well in this and I want to so :(

I never fully understand the comprehension. I normally don't even bother to read them anymore. I just start the questions straight away. Look for the word in the paragraph that's in the question and then I decide which line to copy around the word. It's probably terrible advice but it works for me. I got 96/120 in the mocks on my comprehensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BuckleyCX

I am doing ordinary level French as a single subject in order to satisfy the entry requirements for NUI colleges. I was hoping somebody could clarify the following for me. For the written expression, the marking scheme states:
    Two points required for 5 marks (3 + 2)

And this is what you are asked for, as per the marking scheme again:
    C1 - There is no food in the house / at the moment.
    C2 - You have gone to the butcher’s / to buy some meat.
    C3 - You will make the dinner / this evening.

I am just wondering if that is what they are considering two points - for example, C3: are "you will make the dinner" and "this evening" considered the "two points required"?

I would greatly appreciate any clarification as I have no teacher.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

Has anyone got a list of tougher vocab that is likely to come in a listening generally? I do ok in them generally but it's hearing the word and not knowing what it means is the worst. Any vocab notes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 ChloeMarrinan

Thinking the most likely topics will be obesity, something about the environment, maybe equality in some shape or form, terrorism and drugs, is there anything else I should cover to have a broad range of subjects revised before going in?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Thinking the most likely topics will be obesity, something about the environment, maybe equality in some shape or form, terrorism and drugs, is there anything else I should cover to have a broad range of subjects revised before going in?

I'm learning homelessness and old people too because of the homeless man that died last year I think it was and because of the abuse going on in certain elderly homes

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Famoso

Would it be a bad idea putting all my eggs in one basket here and just revising Racism tonight?

Famoso wrote: »
    Would it be a bad idea putting all my eggs in one basket here and just revising Racism tonight?

Yep theres more than one essay to do and a max of one would be racism

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I don't think there's any major point in learning off topics such as racism or the marriage referendum. The question will be asked in such a way that won't let you have a general paragraph on how smoking is bad for your health. It will go like, are nuclear power plants the way forward?

Better just to learn some key vocab and a couple of phrases that can be used anywhere. The rest of the answer will be based on the work you've put in in the last two years.

I don't think there's any major point in learning off topics such as racism or the marriage referendum. The question will be asked in such a way that won't let you have a general paragraph on how smoking is bad for your health. It will go like, are nuclear power plants the way forward?

Better just to learn some key vocab and a couple of phrases that can be used anywhere. The rest of the answer will be based on the work you've put in in the last two years.

Have you got key vocab for the listening? I understand it's pretty general but there are certain phrases that come up a lot. Apologies this question is for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DaveMc90

I only do ordinary French outside school incase I want to go to a certain college which requires a third language and I've neglected it completely all year , got 59% in the mock with no study , and advice going into the exam to ensure I get at least my pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Broseph wrote: »
    Have you got key vocab for the listening? I understand it's pretty general but there are certain phrases that come up a lot. Apologies this question is for everyone

I don't have key vocab as such but I have collected a bit over my time!

en etat d'ébriété - drunk state
    Malfaiteurs - criminals
    Râter - fail
    Des risqué inutiles - silly risks
    Noyade - a drowning
    Cauchemar - nightmare
    Le droit - law
    Les lettres - arts
    Direction - management
    Randonnée - hiking
    Apéritif - predrinks
    Le panneau indicateur - signpost
    Ralentissement - slow down
    Impérmeable - raincoat
    Sec - dry
    Bénévole - voluntary
    Percuter - crash into
    Griller un feu rouge- jump light
    Retroviseurs - car mirrors
    Garer - park
    SNCF - railway services
    Brume - mist
    Grève - strike
    Réz de chaussee - ground floor
    Crosière - cruise
    Patron- boss

I don't have key vocab as such but I have collected a bit over my time!

en etat d'ébriété - drunk state
    Malfaiteurs - criminals
    Râter - fail
    Des risqué inutiles - silly risks
    Noyade - a drowning
    Cauchemar - nightmare
    Le droit - law
    Les lettres - arts
    Direction - management
    Randonnée - hiking
    Apéritif - predrinks
    Le panneau indicateur - signpost
    Ralentissement - slow down
    Impérmeable - raincoat
    Sec - dry
    Bénévole - voluntary
    Percuter - crash into
    Griller un feu rouge- jump light
    Retroviseurs - car mirrors
    Garer - park
    SNCF - railway services
    Brume - mist
    Grève - strike
    Réz de chaussee - ground floor
    Crosière - cruise
    Patron- boss

That's exactly what I need listen thanks a lot for that. If anyone has any other vocab reply to my comment. Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 hannahdfghjkl

I have racism, terrorism, drugs, alcohol, the environment and crime. Will I be okay, please help. :( Oh and since people think the environment will be up with the theme of water does anybody have a paragraph on it they wouldn't mind sharing. I've nothing, thank you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement