Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Wanting equality and respecting a view that undermines equality wouldn't make any sense. I agree if someone is voting no and is civil about it (unlike some utterly rotten no voters, who never get as much focus on them as the yes voters who might be shouty but they're nowhere near as bad as those who resort to the venomous tactics of the no extremists) they don't deserve abuse, but their view certainly doesn't deserve to be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Wanting equality and respecting a view that undermines equality wouldn't make any sense. I agree if someone is voting no and is civil about it (unlike some utterly rotten no voters, who never get as much focus on them as the yes voters who might be shouty but they're nowhere near as bad as those who resort to the venomous tactics of the no extremists) they don't deserve abuse, but their view certainly doesn't deserve to be respected.

Well that lack of respect is not showing equality. Its not that complicated to grasp. I'm not arsed going in circles I merely pointed out my musings regarding the hypocrisy of a portion of "yes" people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

But why should they respect a view that champions a group of people having less rights? It's not the entire yes side anyway. If people are voting no and the reason isn't some pathetic getting back at yes voters who annoy them nonsense, then I and any yes voters I know, while we disagree with them, realise we have to leave them to it. It's understandable too when it comes to older people as the idea of marriage being anything other than what they're used to must be hard for them to get their heads around.

You can look at things from different perspectives. I know people who would be against gay adoption and would lable the whole country backwards because of lack of abortion or because of religious education in schools. You just have to find the right angle and you can feel superior to anyone regardless of how "backwards" you are on other issues.

Btw I am firmly on the yes side but that kind of nonsense will just alienate people and make them keep their opinions to themselves. And then you get situations like in UK where you discover that less social media approved option has way higher support than it was indicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

The West Is Best!

Excuse me for using terms that might not be considered politically correct, but all Knackers share two things in common:

1. Being a different breed of humans
    2. Dublin accents.

Again, I Declare War On Dublinia!

haha you wont get far... you'll all come up slinging spuds at us and winking in that weird glinty way that culchies do... (what is that!?) and we'll just stab ye, or shoot ye, or get one of the gangs to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Nobody has to respect any view - that thing about not respecting a view means being a hypocrite if one wants equality, is nonsense.
    It's like saying that those who disrespected the views of those who didn't want blacks to be treated equally in the southern US were being hypocrites.

And again, where's the criticism by the "Oh the yes campaigners are bullies" crowd of elements of the No campaign who say stuff along the lines of gay marriage as a step in the direction of legitimising paedophilia, which is surely the worst kind of campaigning of all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Rural Ireland are entitled to vote any way they choose to. If the majority vote NO, then that's their prerogative. Masks are beginning to slip from the YES side ie. Vote how we want our else.

Obviously it's their perogative and entitlement to vote No, just as it's walkingshadow's entitlement to judge, should a No vote come to pass, that Rural people are on average backward and conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

andrew wrote: »
    Obviously it's their perogative and entitlement to vote No, just as it's walkingshadow's entitlement to judge, should a No vote come to pass, that Rural people are on average backward and conservative.

Says who though? Those that might not get the result they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Well, here's my take on it:

I'm a culchie and live in a small village. About an hour from Galway city. MOST of the older people (probably around 50 and upwards) are voting no in the marriage referendum - Including my mother and father. They just "can't understand" why gay people need to marry and why not just be happy with a civil partnership. I have tried to convince them to vote yes (I will vote yes and I'm straight but I've 2 male friends who are gay and I know this referendum means a lot to them) but they just think the whole thing is ridiculous.

As for young people, I believe most like me will vote yes but there's a lot of No's too but that's nothing to do with the fact that we're not city slickers!

It baffles me why peole would think that in general residents in rural Ireland are "backward". Only difference is that we live in rural, country places!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Citroen2cv

For the upcoming SSM referendum, I keep hearing on mainstream media predicting a urban/rural divide in the referendum, with urban area mainly voting yes and rural voting no. This may well be how the results end up, but this I say would more be down to the age demograph, with a lot of younger people having moved from rural areas to the town and cities and having joined the election register in that urban area. So it is a bit unfair this view that younger people in rural areas are backward.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Says who though? Those that might not get the result they want?

Well, says walkingshadow, I presume. Perhaps others advocating for a Yes vote will feel the same way, I don't know. I know that's probably how I'd feel about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sure if the Government don't get the result they want they will just have another vote like on Lisbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

We'll know after Friday if rural Ireland is as backwards as people say.

Or maybe not. I mean if someone takes the time to weigh up the pro's and cons before they vote one way or the other how can they be called backward just because they don't share your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Sure if the Government don't get the result they want they will just have another vote like on Lisbon.

I'd heard this expressed as a reason to vote No. It's possibly the worst reason I've heard yet.

haha you wont get far... you'll all come up slinging spuds at us and winking in that weird glinty way that culchies do... (what is that!?) and we'll just stab ye, or shoot ye, or get one of the gangs to do it.

So ye would never consider doing the manly thing and going toe to toe with us?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Or maybe not. I mean if someone takes the time to weigh up the pro's and cons before they vote one way or the other how can they be called backward just because they don't share your opinion.

Because voting not to extend marriage equal rights to all members of our society is an inherently backward attitude, wherever the person lives.

Because voting not to extend marriage equal rights to all members of our society is an inherently backward attitude, wherever the person lives.

But that is only your opinion. We live in a democracy(BTW the first shots fired to acheive that democracy were fired in Tipperary) and if a majority see the referendum as giving rise to further problems down the road then calling them backward as a result is plain stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Could'nt be futher from the truth. I love going there and sell loads of my products to Dubs. I find it incredibly easy to sell to them and to be honest I find them a bit gullible and not as discerning as country folk.

I laughed. I'm going to get myself some burn cream :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

But that is only your opinion. We live in a democracy(BTW the first shots fired to acheive that democracy were fired in Tipperary) and if a majority see the referendum as giving rise to further problems down the road then calling them backward as a result is plain stupid.

Name one "further problem down the road"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

andrew wrote: »

But so are Urban Irish people on average.. I was on the train going to Dublin talking to a very (presumably) wealthy Dublin man who had travelled a lot, been on all sorts of cruises, ates all kinds of culinary delights and seemed rather open minded.

Then he started going on about the referendum & how it's so unnatural for two men to do this or that. And there I am sitting in silence, the backwards country man in a wooly jumper who's a yes voter.

What most urbanites don't want to admit is that is that all the things that can be said about Rural Ireland can be said about Urban Ireland too.
    Reading this thread, I honestly can't wait to see the percentage of no votes from Cork, Dublin, Limerick etc...we'll see if the emperor has clothes then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

well, we can just hope that the culchies try to be "cool" and "with it" enough to vote yes.

although, the massive chip on their shoulder will prevent this most likely, and they'll see it as a vote against dubs rather than a vote against sense.

• Advertisement

An opinion is not immune from judgement or criticism. Saying 'that's just my opinion' is not a justification of that opinion, it's just a statement that it's something you think.

For example, if it was someone's opinion that black people are not equal to others, then that would be a racist, backward opinion. Saying 'well that's just my opinion' would not make that opinion any less racist or backward, and it would be accurate to call anyone with that opinion aracist and backward. If the majority of people held that opinion, it would still be racist and it would still be backward. If people expressed that opinion democratically, it would still be racist and backward. (I'm not for a second implying that you're racist by the way, just using it as an example). Replace 'black' with 'gay' and 'racist' with 'homophobic' and you see what I'm getting at.
    But so are Urban Irish people on average.. I was on the train going to Dublin talking to a very (presumably) wealthy Dublin man who had travelled a lot, been on all sorts of cruises, ates all kinds of culinary delights and seemed rather open minded.

Then he started going on about the referendum & how it's so unnatural for two men to do this or that. And there I am sitting in silence, the backwards country man in a wooly jumper who's a yes voter.

Reading this thread, I honestly can't wait to see the percentage of no votes from Cork, Dublin, Limerick etc...we'll see if the emperor has clothes then.

Urban Dubliners have tended to vote less conservatively, as far as I know. See for example the Divorce referendum, or protection of life in pregnancy results here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

What most urbanites don't want to admit is that is that all the things that can be said about Rural Ireland can be said about Urban Ireland too.

Am, since when does voting no equate to being backward? Since when has popularity been redefined as progressive? Backwards is rejecting any form of change without due consideration. That doesn't mean we shouldn't reject certain changes if we feel their not right.

well, we can just hope that the culchies try to be "cool" and "with it" enough to vote yes.

Us rednecks don't do people pleasing and we aint that insecure that we will be voting to 'fit in' with any populist view. Some will vote no and some will vote yes and you can depend on them to turn up and vote anyway. A Friday vote will probably suit a lot of Dubs as its the day that a lot of them get out of bed to collect their welfare .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Us rednecks don't do people pleasing and we aint that insecure that we will be voting to 'fit in' with any populist view. Some will vote no and some will vote yes and you can depend on them to turn up and vote anyway. A Friday vote will probably suit a lot of Dubs as its the day that a lot of them get out of bed to collect their welfare .

Dublin has the lowest rate of unemployment in the country!

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

But it has the highest rate of homelessness.

BTW, being a drug dealer or a member of a gang doesn't count as being employed.

False.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

False.

Go on...

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Go on...

Isn't it obvious? Highest rate of homelessness. Anyone with a home must have a job. And because I have never seen a hobo outside of Dublin, it means your statement is false.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I purposely moved to an area with houses dotted sporadically all over the place to avoid any kids we have from hanging about in an estate/on the street in the evenings. The area we lived before this had a family that moved down from Dublin, noisy little sh*ts with no manners and no respect. There was no way I'd have kids of mine growing up like that.

To be fair, every small town in the country has people like that (locals too - not just blow-ins) I was raised in the middle of nowhere, we're a little less isolated now but to me, it's a much better environment for kids to grow up in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

With all the talk about the upcoming referendum on gay marriage, I often hear people worry that it will be rejected due to the conservative, backward nature of rural Ireland. Obviously rural Ireland is not as cosmopolitan as Dublin and so the people there are less exposed to gay culture so perhaps their opinions stem from innocent ignorance. I'm not familiar with Ireland outside of Dublin but I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?

Never seen a more obvious reverse psychology attempted post to get possible no voters from the sticks to (prove em all wrong) and vote yes pmsl

Advertisement