Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Because voting not to extend marriage equal rights to all members of our society is an inherently backward attitude, wherever the person lives.

I'm pro gay marriage but I feel like this is misleading and I see it everywhere right now. 'Equality' seems like an inappropriate word here. The law is already equal. Gay or Straight, regardless of your sexual orientation, the law treats everyone the same. You can marry someone of the opposite sex.

And, clearly, nobody is actually arguing for the rights of anyone to marry anyone else. While I'd support such a law, we're not fighting for that. That would require allowing incest and polygamy (both of which I support - consenting adults should be free to do whatever they want, IMHO, but that's just me).

So a lot of people are saying equal rights to all members of society - but this gay marriage thing isn't about that. It's about extending the already equal rights pertaining to who they can marry, so that they can marry certain types of people that they can't currently marry, but will still leave lots of other people who love each other and want to get married, out in the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Name one "further problem down the road"

I'm not an advocate for any group yes or no. In fact I have a problem with gobshytes putting a sticker on their lapel and telling me how to vote, I'm well able to make up my own mind.In fact its nauesating watching the political party's being so exercised about gay people when its not that long ago when all of them stood by as gay people were treated as criminals and forced into back alleys and public toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

False.

True according to the CSO, but I'm sure you're research will prove the CSO wrong. :)

Dublin has the highest rate of employment and the lowest rate of unemployment. The Border region has the lowest rate of employment and the South-East has the highest rate of unemployment.
    In fact I have a problem with gobshytes putting a sticker on their lapel and telling me how to vote

They're trying to sway opinion, nobodies telling you how to vote, that's up to your if your old enough. This happens in most countries, people wave flags, wear badges, put up posters, have debates etc... It's a shame you have a problem with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

UCDVet wrote: »
    You can marry someone of the opposite sex.

Congratulations, you have solved the problem. Gay people can just marry people of the opposite sex. How come no one has ever thought of that before?

Paddy Power are giving 20-1 for North Tipp to reject the gay marriage, those odds are attractive enough to swing my vote anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Paddy Power are giving 20-1 for North Tipp to reject the gay marriage, those odds are attractive enough to swing my vote anyway.

Ah no they aren't
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/other-politics/irish-politics?ev_oc_grp_ids=2041388

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Why is a love of the GAA used to call somebody backward, I live in an Urban area and love GAA and if the turnout at Dublin matches is anything to go by so do many others living in urban area's. I really don't think it's an urban vs rural thing, it's an age thing urban area's tend to have younger populations compared to rural area's which have an aging population and many of the young people may have left the area. Anyway just because someone is voting no in the SSM referendum does not make them backward and to suggest it does is pure ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Congratulations, you have solved the problem. Gay people can just marry people of the opposite sex. How come no one has ever thought of that before?

sure can the gays not just marry the lesbians? or perhaps my thinking is geographically hindered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

The problem isn't one of equality though. Everyone is treated equally. Saying, 'Gay people can't work here' or 'Gay people can't adopt children' - those are example of inequitable treatment.

And it's also not about equality for all, as the proposed changes to marriage law will only extend who you can marry. There will still be people who legally cannot marry whom they choose.

Again, I'm pro-gay marriage, I just think the wording is completely wrong. It's not about equality (the same laws apply to everyone) and it's not 'for everyone' (I still won't be able to marry my sister, if we wanted to, or marry three dudes whom all which to be married to each other).

It's about changing a law to let some more people marry some more other people. And I support it 100%, just not the campaign slogans.

But they are giving North Tipp 20-1 to return the highest no vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

There will still be people who legally cannot marry whom they choose.

I still won't be able to marry my sister, if we wanted to, or marry three dudes whom all which to be married to each other.

It behoves you then to create the pro-incest/polygamy groundswell.

Political movements start with one man & a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Well, here's my take on it:

I'm a culchie and live in a small village. About an hour from Galway city. MOST of the older people (probably around 50 and upwards) are voting no in the marriage referendum - Including my mother and father. They just "can't understand" why gay people need to marry and why not just be happy with a civil partnership. I have tried to convince them to vote yes (I will vote yes and I'm straight but I've 2 male friends who are gay and I know this referendum means a lot to them) but they just think the whole thing is ridiculous.

There's no way you're going to change older peoples' minds, like all the sh*t that went down in the church and many of them are still slavishly devoted to it and they will ignore or filter out all the 'bad stuff'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

The problem isn't one of equality though. Everyone is treated equally. Saying, 'Gay people can't work here' or 'Gay people can't adopt children' - those are example of inequitable treatment.

Why isn't 'gay people can't marry one another' not also an example of inequitable treatment?
    And it's also not about equality for all, as the proposed changes to marriage law will only extend who you can marry. There will still be people who legally cannot marry whom they choose.

Again, I'm pro-gay marriage, I just think the wording is completely wrong. It's not about equality (the same laws apply to everyone) and it's not 'for everyone' (I still won't be able to marry my sister, if we wanted to, or marry three dudes whom all which to be married to each other).

It's about changing a law to let some more people marry some more other people. And I support it 100%, just not the campaign slogans.

At worst, then, it's about eqality for more people, which is good.

But more than that, gay people are born gay, it's not just a preference. So, their innate desire to marry one another should be recognised. Being polyamerous or incestuous strikes me as more of a preference than being gay, so there's not so much of a need for the government to recognise it (though I wouldn't really have a problem with either of those things).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

We'll know after Friday if rural Ireland is as backwards as people say.

No we'll just know what way people voted in various constiuencies.

There's no way you're going to change older peoples' minds, like all the sh*t that went down in the church and many of them are still slavishly devoted to it and they will ignore or filter out all the 'bad stuff'.

Do you not realise that 90% of 'the sh*t that went down in the church' as you call it happens within the family circle, dads, brothers,uncles, cousins, family 'friends' etc. Its the big Elephant in the room that permeates society as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Do you not realise that 90% of 'the sh*t that went down in the church' as you call it happens within the family circle, dads, brothers,uncles, cousins, family 'friends' etc. Its the big Elephant in the room that permeates society as a whole.

Families aren't organisations that kept records of creeps and moved them on to other families to do more damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I'm a huge Meath Gaa fan, I love most sports actually but Gaa is my no.1, I grew up on and still live on a farm and I was raised catholic, although religion wasn't very important in our house. I'm an atheist now, my 2 sisters are agnostics (or something to that effect) and my parents go to mass maybe 4 or 5 times a year and guess what, we're all voting Yes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Families aren't organisations that kept records of creeps and moved them on to other families to do more damage.

No. Families are the organisations that covered it up, shoved their pregnant single daughters into Magdalen laundries or to "work in England with Auntie Molly" and their gay children into loony bins and pretended everything was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    No. Families are the organisations that covered it up, shoved their pregnant single daughters into Magdalen laundries or to "work in England with Auntie Molly" and their gay children into loony bins and pretended everything was grand

Their also the ones who stood by their gay son Dave and unmarried daughter Michelle.....
    Dont see where your going with that.

And which institution had the families of Ireland brainwashed into believing that those people were evil sinners and that sending them away was the right thing to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Ah now its stop bashing country folk and blame the church. That took longer than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

But that is only your opinion. We live in a democracy(BTW the first shots fired to acheive that democracy were fired in Tipperary) and if a majority see the referendum as giving rise to further problems down the road then calling them backward as a result is plain stupid.

Because the majority always pick whats best :roll eyes: If the majority of irish people voted to ban all african immigrants due to the crime problems they are more likely to cause 'further down the road'. You wouldn't consider that backward? Lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

But that is only your opinion. We live in a democracy(BTW the first shots fired to acheive that democracy were fired in Tipperary) and if a majority see the referendum as giving rise to further problems down the road then calling them backward as a result is plain stupid.

"BTW the first shots fired to acheive that democracy were fired in Tipperary"

You have a very limited knowledge of Irish history. Have you heard of 1798, The Fenian Brotherhood, 1916 or are you too busy eating your dinner in the middle of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

well, we can just hope that the culchies try to be "cool" and "with it" enough to vote yes.

although, the massive chip on their shoulder will prevent this most likely, and they'll see it as a vote against dubs rather than a vote against sense.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"BTW the first shots fired to acheive that democracy were fired in Tipperary"

You have a very limited knowledge of Irish history. Have you heard of 1798, The Fenian Brotherhood, 1916 or are you too busy eating your dinner in the middle of the day?

With all due respect to the men of 1798 apart from knocking a few good old republican songs such as the croppy boy & Boulavogue out of their endevors they did'nt acheive a lot. The shots fired in Solohead Co Tipp kick started the revolution.

I'm a huge Meath Gaa fan, I love most sports actually but Gaa is my no.1, I grew up on and still live on a farm and I was raised catholic, although religion wasn't very important in our house. I'm an atheist now, my 2 sisters are agnostics (or something to that effect) and my parents go to mass maybe 4 or 5 times a year and guess what, we're all voting Yes!

And what has that got to do with the title of the topic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Rural Ireland backwards? If not costing the state billions and not having a load of junkies walking the streets is backwards, then I suppose rural Ireland is backwards.

And what has that got to do with the title of the topic?

My post was in relation to the very first post, where he mentions the referendum, the Gaa, the catholic church and farming.

So have I got your special permission to post now? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Am, since when does voting no equate to being backward? Since when has popularity been redefined as progressive? Backwards is rejecting any form of change without due consideration. That doesn't mean we shouldn't reject certain changes if we feel their not right.

I felt he was backward because he said gay couples are unnatural & disgusting. (and yes the word disgusting was used). He was like 'could you imagine two fellas...' and cut off there and said it was disgusting. The implication I got was referring to physical activity. Another man agreed with him and I just started an unrelated conversation with his wife who seemed a bit embarrassed.

With that in mind, I really can't see how he could have considered this very deeply - it seems more like dismissal of the concept of homosexuality itself as inherently wrong in the first place. Therefore I feel he fits your definition of 'Backward'.

I know people who have gay friends and are voting no, I don't consider them backwards. I know one gay guy who's voting no and I don't think he's an internalised self-hating 'phobe either. I have time for people who are considering voting No because they worry about implications on children -even if I disagree and see their worry as misguided. Their not coming from a place of hate. There's always some who are slow to come around to changes to the status quo & I think they'll see that they were wrong one day.

What I don't have time for is people who think it's disgusting for two male or two female adults to be attracted to each other or have sex.

• Advertisement

My post was in relation to the very first post, where he mentions the referendum, the Gaa, the catholic church and farming.

So have I got your special permission to post now? :P

So you reckon if all families voted the same way like yours does that it would be a sign that they were progressive and not backward?

Advertisement