Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have a feeling it will probably still be a No here, but it will be pretty close. Which is a huge leap in itself as even twenty years ago it would have been a resounding no. But times have changed, the oulwans who never left their own parish are all died off, even people of my Dad's generation are voting yes because they've seen a bit of the world, and are more tolerant and understanding of things than their parents would have been.

Very happy to day I was wrong.

First time for everything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

It will be great to see Vincent Browne in The George later surrounded by poppers

(that's what I call champagne corks btw,in case people get the wrong idea)
    I don't want to 'rub people up the wrong way'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It will be great to see Vincent Browne in The George later surrounded by poppers

(that's what I call champagne corks btw,in case people get the wrong idea)
    I don't want to 'rub people up the wrong way'
    Ooooh fancy that Matron

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

With all the talk about the upcoming referendum on gay marriage, I often hear people worry that it will be rejected due to the conservative, backward nature of rural Ireland. Obviously rural Ireland is not as cosmopolitan as Dublin and so the people there are less exposed to gay culture so perhaps their opinions stem from innocent ignorance. I'm not familiar with Ireland outside of Dublin but I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?

and where exactly do your opinions stem from?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

Can a mod lock this thread, obliviously started by a troll.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I holidayed as a 70's kid all over Ireland and even in the pre interwebs and multichannel Ireland no, rural Ireland was not "backward". A teeny bit more religious than the cities maybe, more parochial, but that was about it. When I hit my teens I noticed a slight lag in fashions in music and film type stuff with rural peers I met. Ireland itself had a lag to such things even in the cities. Films that would be out in the US in say 74, might not fully hit us until six months to a year later and there could be a lag from urban to rural. The biggest difference I noticed was in Dublin say, many, even most people had "piped TV" so had the UK channels and were exposed more to that media and culture(and their imported US stuff), but in rural areas they were usually stuck with RTE as their lot. They only heard one voice as it were. In TV land anyway. Still, you also had radio and TV coming in from outside. The backwards stuff is a nonsense really and today it's an even bigger nonsense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

Wibbs wrote: »
    I holidayed as a 70's kid all over Ireland and even in the pre interwebs and multichannel Ireland no, rural Ireland was not "backward". A teeny bit more religious than the cities maybe, more parochial, but that was about it. When I hit my teens I noticed a slight lag in fashions in music and film type stuff with rural peers I met. Ireland itself had a lag to such things even in the cities. Films that would be out in the US in say 74, might not fully hit us until six months to a year later and there could be a lag from urban to rural. The biggest difference I noticed was in Dublin say, many, even most people had "piped TV" so had the UK channels and were exposed more to that media and culture(and their imported US stuff), but in rural areas they were usually stuck with RTE as their lot. They only heard one voice as it were. In TV land anyway. Still, you also had radio and TV coming in from outside. The backwards stuff is a nonsense really and today it's an even bigger nonsense.

Exactly, people in Dublin had BBC and thought they were avant garde.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I used to think the old "Dubs reckoning they were more advanced and cultured than the rest of the country" was at best a Ross O'Carroll Kelly type joke, or at worst an exaggerated stereotype.

But this referendum campaign really has opened my eyes how common it is for many Dubs to think every last soul outside the city is a turnip juggling, mass attending cave dweller who is holding back the country's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Top Ten Yes Constituencies
    • Dublin South East: 74.9 pc
    • Dublin North: 72.6 pc
    • Dublin Central: 72.4 pc
    • Dublin South Central: 72.3 pc
    • Dun Laoghaire: 71.6 pc
    • Dublin South West: 71.3 pc
    • Dublin Mid-West: 70.9 pc
    • Dublin West: 70.6 pc
    • Dublin North West: 70.6 pc
    • Dublin South: 69.9 pc
    Top Ten No Constituencies

• Roscommon-South Leitrim: 51.4 pc
    • Donegal South West: 49.9 pc
    • Cavan-Monaghan: 49.4 pc
    • Mayo: 48 pc
    • Donegal North East: 47.5 pc
    • Galway East: 46.7 pc
    • Sligo-North Leitrim: 46.4 pc
    • Longford-Westmeath: 46.4 pc
    • Tipperary North: 45.3 pc
    • Limerick: 45.3 pc

Allez les Bleus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

John_Rambo wrote: »

Allez les Bleus

I'll hazard a guess and say that those 10 locations which voted 'no' have probably been also hit hardest by emigration leaving the older conservative voter behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Allez les Bleus
    Am I to think you imply that anywhere that is not Dublin is rural?

Backwards to vote no? I wish we would go backwards if forwards mean further towards cultural marxism and degeneracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

This referendum has shown that the OP is incorrect in posing the argument that rural Ireland is backward.

Backwards to vote no? I wish we would go backwards if forwards mean further towards cultural marxism and degeneracy.

What degeneracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Allez les Bleus

Lots of young people and graduates leave rural Ireland to work in Dublin. Plenty of us Culchies vote in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

With all the talk about the upcoming referendum on gay marriage, I often hear people worry that it will be rejected due to the conservative, backward nature of rural Ireland. Obviously rural Ireland is not as cosmopolitan as Dublin and so the people there are less exposed to gay culture so perhaps their opinions stem from innocent ignorance. I'm not familiar with Ireland outside of Dublin but I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?

my mom is from the sthicks, she wants me to marry a good catholid girl.

so yay, it is a bit backward to say the least.

* she thinks my Thai girlfriend is some queer suicide bomber of sorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

"Top ten no constituencies", nine of which voted yes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I'll hazard a guess and say that those 10 locations which voted 'no' have probably been also hit hardest by emigration leaving the older conservative voter behind.

Only 1 constituency returned a no majority. The other 9 in that 10 all still returned a majority yes. All in all, only 2 constituency in the entire country voted (marginally) against marriage equality. In the main, that says to me that the majority of the country is forward thinking.

Only 1 constituency returned a no majority. The other 9 in that 10 all still returned a majority yes. All in all, only 2 constituency in the entire country voted (marginally) against marriage equality. In the main, that says to me that the majority of the country is forward thinking.

My point was in relation to the 10 constituencies displayed by a poster, showing the 10 highest no votes in the country. I know how the vote went. Thanks.

No.

I just put up the results. And, like you I didn't bitch and moan about anywhere in Ireland, I didn't put anywhere down, namecall, get catty etc... unlike most of the posters on this thread. I defended my city, the part of Ireland that had the most yes votes.

Proud of Dublin, proud of Ireland. Well done Ireland. The whole country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'll bust your head if you trample my crops.

• Advertisement

What degeneracy?
    Find your nearest dictionary.

Find your nearest dictionary.

I know what degeneracy is,I'd like you to illustrate where it is in relation to the yes vote?

I know what degeneracy is,I'd like you to illustrate where it is in relation to the yes vote?
    Sexual deviancy.

Sexual deviancy.

Ha ha. It's because of this type of bigotry that I got off my arse and went down with the family to vote yes yesterday. Your bitterness makes me glad I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It can be backwards and forwards, does spirals not go both ways.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Ha ha. It's because of this type of bigotry that I got off my arse and went down with the family to vote yes yesterday. Your bitterness makes me glad I did it.
    Deviancy, to deviate from the norm. Heterosexual sex being the norm. How does calling a spade a spade make me a bigot?

Deviancy, to deviate from the norm. Heterosexual sex being the norm. How does calling a spade a spade make me a bigot?

Ireland says you're incorrect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Heterosexual sex being the norm.

According to who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

By that logic red heads are deviants cos they aren't the norm like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

there may be evidence to support OP's theory considering Roscommon and part of Leitrim's response to the referendum. lots of bad publicity it seems.

Advertisement