Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

According to who?
    According to fact?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Well I'm from the best county in the world, or as you might know it, Mayo.
    I think it will really help in the progression of this thread if I give you my personal opinion on gay marriage.
    Remember, this is my own personal opinion. Some may hate it, but unfortunately I have to be honest.
    I think it's sick, revolting and far from normal.
    You cannot start a herd with two bulls.
    I'm proud of my country and its history. I will not stand for its reputation being ruined by it allowing people of the same sex to marry.
    If the Yes votes won and gay people got married, those couples would get harassed by hardcore Catholics and homophobes. I've seen it happen in this country on TV already, with single homosexuals that is. They were viciously attacked with the attacker calling them "queer" and other words that would insult a gay guy.
    The only people from the west of Ireland who will vote Yes would be those Roscommon fools.

So there you have it.

I'm Voting NOrmality I came up with the slogan myself. ;)

Ironic comment is ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Clearly most of it isn't. I am amazed. Look at Mayo for example which voted 78% against divorce. Now 52% for Marriage equality. Of course a hardline rump remains in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I'd say there's a few fellas who all along would have been saying 'Of course I want to marry you darling if only they would allow it' ,starting to feel a little hot under the collar now!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

mohawk wrote: »
    By that logic red heads are deviants cos they aren't the norm like.

As are left handed people, where do you draw the line if there is to be line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Deviancy, to deviate from the norm. Heterosexual sex being the norm. How does calling a spade a spade make me a bigot?

So the yes vote won. Yes is the norm.... You're a deviant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Robsweezie wrote: »
    there may be evidence to support OP's theory considering Roscommon and part of Leitrim's response to the referendum. lots of bad publicity it seems.

Guess who's from Roscommon?

This guy: http://www.johnwaters.ie/

Mr John Waters himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Guess who's from Roscommon?

This guy: http://www.johnwaters.ie/

Mr John Waters himself.
    2% of all No voters are from Roscommon.

They really are the worst, even the 49% of them who voted Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I would suspect that a high proportion of the No vote was also relatively soft. A lot of them fell for the nonsense doubts about irrelevant matters that were seeded by the No vote rather than something about not liking gay people.

There's undoubtedly a hardcore there who are genuinely not happy about gay people or gay marriage. I think though they're a small minority.

The next few years will see plenty of same sex marriages, life will go on and hopefully many of them will realise it's that the world didn't end and the country is a far stronger place for what happened on Saturday.

I genuinely think we're seeing the start of a new era in Irish politics - I saw a lot of political leadership from some people and I saw a lot of others showing their true colours and I've lost respect for them as a result.

Hopefully some of those politicians and others who were prepared to take a stand will have a much greater influence on Ireland over the coming years.

I don't think this is a backwards or conservative country. I think though we've been run by too many "greasy till" populists who had no vision and were entirely about protecting a status quo that suited their needs.

I'm hoping this really is a corner that we've turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes, and I'm from "rural Ireland".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

remember this is from a few years back....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Only in Ballygobackward and it's environs. I believe they voted NO there. Don't know the county.
    Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I live in Cavan now but born and raised a dub and I can say yes they are backwards or whatever else you want to put it. It's even that bad you do hear them talking about who wasn't at mass that week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I live in Cavan now but born and raised a dub and I can say yes they are backwards or whatever else you want to put it. It's even that bad you do hear them talking about who wasn't at mass that week !!

I've been living in Cavan for 5 years now and I've never had that conversation with anyone, or heard anyone else discuss it.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I've been living in Cavan for 5 years now and I've never had that conversation with anyone, or heard anyone else discuss it.

What part do you live in then because the town I'm in is pure backwards. The people from Dublin get blamed on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Bailieborough, I lived in Kingscourt before for 8 years, it's right on the Meath/Cavan border. Where are you living?

Dubs do get blamed for everything but in a lot of cases (in my experience) it's justified.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Bailieborough, I lived in Kingscourt before for 8 years, it's right on the Meath/Cavan border. Where are you living?

Dubs do get blamed for everything but in a lot of cases (in my experience) it's justified.

Ballyjamesduff myself ah I just think it's mad the carry on some of the so called locals have against the dubs. I was out Sunday and a few of us had a laugh about the whole Cavan loosing they took it so hard it was unreal yet last year it was ok for them to slag off the dubs in the football.
    In fairness the dubs around here are quiet and I'm not being biased at all. The locals moaned about drugs and it was their kids selling them and not the dubs. I do think they are backwards and very backwards if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

I'd imagine the voting results in the referendum shattered some idiotic views of rural people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

It's the Irish I tell ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

magma69 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the voting results in the referendum shattered some idiodic views of rural people.
    Here here.

Anyway everyone knows the Irish are backwards cnuts!

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the voting results in the referendum shattered some idiodic views of rural people.

Not really in Cavan it barely scraped past with 50.56% of the people saying yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Maybe they were talking about an vulnerable neighbour for whom it would be out of character to miss mass. It doesn't always have to be a negative thing to have neighbours looking out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

fryup wrote: »
    remember this is from a few years back....

That's bad even by Irish standards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

It's ironic that some think rural dwellers are backward given the level of ignorance on display.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    I would suspect that a high proportion of the No vote was also relatively soft. A lot of them fell for the nonsense doubts about irrelevant matters that were seeded by the No vote rather than something about not liking gay people.

Many would find that quite offensive. The No proponents raised legitimate concerns.
    To equate tallies in this referendum to backwardsness is non-sense.
    What if I said I would suspect that a high proportion of the Yes vote was due to
    complete indifference so might as well vote that way as I pass the
    station on my way to work and i'm covered in stickers saying I will.
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    The next few years will see plenty of same sex marriages, life will go on and hopefully many of them will realise it's that the world didn't end and the country is a far stronger place for what happened on Saturday.

Hopefully, can't see how it will be far stronger though.
    I saw a lot of others showing their true colours and I've lost respect for them as a result.
    How did they lose your respect?
    I don't think this is a backwards or conservative country.
    Not backwards, but somewhat conservative.
    Robsweezie wrote: »
    there may be evidence to support OP's theory considering Roscommon and part of Leitrim's response to the referendum. lots of bad publicity it seems.

More equating No votes with backwardness. Was the SSM vote an easy way out of amending the Civil Partnership Bill?
    Only 1 constituency returned a no majority. The other 9 in that 10 all still returned a majority yes. All in all, only 2 constituency in the entire country voted (marginally) against marriage equality. In the main, that says to me that the majority of the country is forward thinking.
    More of the same. Just because a region didn't vote the way you wanted
    doesn't mean they didn't have the best interests of the society at heart.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    Ireland says you're incorrect.
    No, Ireland had a vote. Whoever said heterosexuality must, as a result, be deemed deviant behaviour should dislodge their head from wherever it's stuck.
    I used to think the old "Dubs reckoning they were more advanced and cultured than the rest of the country" was at best a Ross O'Carroll Kelly type joke, or at worst an exaggerated stereotype.

But this referendum campaign really has opened my eyes how common it is for many Dubs to think every last soul outside the city is a turnip juggling, mass
    attending cave dweller who is holding back the country's progress.

Yes, they don't all think that though. Some if them even travel down the country from time to time. Some even move here!

Bringing the GAA and the church into a debate about rural backwardness doesn't make
    sense either. Isn't there a huge interest in Dublin in GAA?.

I don't agree with the church in Ireland on everything (including reasons to vote
    No in the referendum) but general Catholic teaching on how to treat others is still
    a decent moral fabric.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

thee glitz wrote: »
    Whoever said heterosexuality must, as a result, be deemed deviant behaviour should dislodge their head from wherever it's stuck.

I see you quoted me here. Please don't misrepresent me. I didn't say hetrosexuality must be deemed deviant behaviour.

In fact, nobody did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I see you quoted me here. Please don't misrepresent me. I didn't say hetrosexuality must be deemed deviant behaviour.

In fact, nobody did.

I did not quote you on that, I said whoever. Apologies for any confusion caused.

It was mickydoomsux who sought a source backing up the claim that heterosexuality is normal and mohawk, who said
    By that logic red heads are deviants cos they aren't the norm like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What part do you live in then because the town I'm in is pure backwards. The people from Dublin get blamed on everything.

I'd say if you were to leave the town then it might not be as backward.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Ballyjamesduff myself ah I just think it's mad the carry on some of the so called locals have against the dubs. I was out Sunday and a few of us had a laugh about the whole Cavan loosing they took it so hard it was unreal yet last year it was ok for them to slag off the dubs in the football.
    In fairness the dubs around here are quiet and I'm not being biased at all. The locals moaned about drugs and it was their kids selling them and not the dubs. I do think they are backwards and very backwards if you ask me.
    If you think it's that bad why don't you get the fcuk out of there instead of bitching on here about it ;)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If you think it's that bad why don't you get the fcuk out of there instead of bitching on here about it ;)

I will when I finish college and in a position to sell my home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

thee glitz wrote: »
    I did not quote you on that, I said whoever. Apologies for any confusion caused.

It was mickydoomsux who sought a source backing up the claim that heterosexuality is normal and mohawk, who said

So, you've caused confusion, well done. Nobody said hetrosexuality was deviant.

Advertisement