Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

typical Wickla household.....

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OldRio

I find the rural hatred of Dublin strange and bemusing. The cost of living is higher, but it doesn't cancel out what I earn compared to the minimum wage job I'd be in if I stayed in my hometown.

I can understand that work opportunities are far better in the city. Yet I would not swap the quality of life I have here in rural Leitrim for any city or large town in Ireland.
    Probably down to my age:D Although living over sixty minutes from a hospital is not the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Nope. I've got a solid career in Dublin. I'd have a choice between the local Spar, a pub job or maybe if I was lucky a few shifts at a factory.

yes, because all jobs in the country are minimum wage jobs:rolleyes:

OldRio wrote: »
    I can understand that work opportunities are far better in the city. Yet I would not swap the quality of life I have here in rural Leitrim for any city or large town in Ireland.
    Probably down to my age:D Although living over sixty minutes from a hospital is not the best.

I couldn't ever go back to Leitrim!
    Quality of life? I'd have zero life down there, nothing to do & no one to do it with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

It's like comparing apples and oranges. It all depend where you "are" in your life.
    Young free single / couple looking for a high income job , great social life, big selection of shops and facilities? City life is your only man.
    Rearing kids or heading into retirement ? Hands down no contest no argument rural Ireland is the standout winner.
    I was lucky enough to manage to spend my feckless young adult life in Dublin before returning to my hometown to rear my daughter with my my jackeen husband in tow.
    Neither he nor I would ever go back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OldRio

bubblypop wrote: »
    I couldn't ever go back to Leitrim!
    Quality of life? I'd have zero life down there, nothing to do & no one to do it with!

Sorry but I have plenty to do and plenty of people to do it with.:D

We have never been as busy as we are now. As wokingvoter said it depends on 'were you are in your life'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There is life beyond the Pale! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

It is just the rural shops that are the problem, gossiping over the counter and what not, this used to be the case in cities too before the chain supermarkets took over. I prefer large stores so you can go to self checkouts without the annoying people behind the counter putting on false niceness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nope. I've got a solid career in Dublin. I'd have a choice between the local Spar, a pub job or maybe if I was lucky a few shifts at a factory.

The factories in Galway pay quite well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement