Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

^ What is the source of that chart?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Unfortunately, Donegal are the forgotten county.

Donegal's main problem is that it has no railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've always found the Dubs to be quite backwards and conservative. But the overall Dublin population is more forward thinking because of all the blow-ins.

Wheres Nox001 when you need him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'm an inner city northside Dub born, bred & buttered & I prefer rural Ireland TBH :eek:

Backward people & ideas are not geographically based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I remember getting quite a frightening response when I came out to a rural friend in Co.Wexford around 2000. He blabbed to an older relative who confronted my father to pass on a message the former would never speak to me again. He also broke my confidence by telling the whole village. So I went back into the closet and made out it was just a phase. However I was pleasantly surprised how well my parents took it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

an older relative who confronted my father to pass on a message the former would never speak to me again.

I can never get my head round this. Why would anyone be so angry about something that has no effects on them?

I remember getting quite a frightening response when I came out to a rural friend in Co.Wexford around 2000. He blabbed to an older relative who confronted my father to pass on a message the former would never speak to me again. He also broke my confidence by telling the whole village. So I went back into the closet and made out it was just a phase. However I was pleasantly surprised how well my parents took it.

:( Hard to get my head around that one.

I'm glad your parents were good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Sorry bout that but did no urban friends not accept the decision or spaz out?
    Like I'm sorry it happened dont get me wrong but I doubt the "rural friend" made much difference. "urban friend" could be a dick aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Rubbish. Mayo will vote Yes now that footballer Aidan O'Shea has endorsed the yes campaign. I'd be disappointed if it isn't a yes from Mayo, though I do seem to be the only person wearing my yes equality badge around town. The rest must keep forgetting theirs at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Little Britain, with Irish accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

fiachr_a wrote: »
    Donegal's main problem is that it has no railway.

Do keep up http://www.antraen.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

K4t wrote: »
    Rubbish. Mayo will vote Yes now that footballer Aidan O'Shea has endorsed the yes campaign. I'd be disappointed if it isn't a yes from Mayo, though I do seem to be the only person wearing my yes equality badge around town. The rest must keep forgetting theirs at home.

He 's probably only endorsing the yes side because Ger Brennan is endorsing the no side :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Doubt the no side will be that high in Galway East.

Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

No, but it suits a lot of people's agendas to make out that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

c_man wrote: »
    No, but it suits a lot of people's agendas to make out that it is.

Never underestimate "the agenda".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,213 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

is a handpainted sign up in a field in oranmore co galway ..

'ya cant start a herd with two bulls' it says

'vote no'

had to laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

bjork wrote: »
    You should take a spin out the old west clare road...It's like wall street below. Johnjoe O'Reilly opened a centra and sells lottery tickets. You wouldn't see the like in New york. I went to dublin once with my mother. It was terrible. There was no where for her to sit down and rest, full of places to rest your aunt though.

Ye telt dat joke all wrong,and spoilt it, so ye did!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

McGaggs wrote: »
    I've always found the Dubs to be quite backwards and conservative. But the overall Dublin population is more forward thinking because of all the blow-ins.

Weren't the labour party the biggest in Dublin at the last general election? Hardly conservative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I'm an inner city northside Dub born, bred & buttered & I prefer rural Ireland TBH :eek:

Backward people & ideas are not geographically based.

Stereotyping, I'm a northside dub too, and I do be too busy breaking into houses and acting in Love/Hate to care about oul' gay referenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Religion: Presbyterian atheist
    GAA: Load of bollocks, especially hurlystickball. I'm a rugby man.
    Gays: Great bunch o lads
    Farming: Nope
    You: Ignorant Twat

Aidric wrote: »
    Weren't the labour party the biggest in Dublin at the last general election? Hardly conservative.

I don't see them pushing for change.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

McGaggs wrote: »
    I don't see them pushing for change.

pushers out #sinnfein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

The OP sounds like someone who has never ventured outside The Pale and bases all their opinions on rural Ireland on lazy stereotypes...which is fairly backward in itself.
    . I'm not familiar with Ireland outside of Dublin but I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?

It'd be like me saying that all Dub's preoccupy themselves with drawing the dole, joyriding, and heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Rural Ireland=Real Ireland.

Dublin has never been Irish. It's a mixture of Vikings, Normans, Sassenachs and Palesmen. Never feel right there, so many people living on top of each other. It's like what rodents do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Reiver wrote: »
    Never feel right there, so many people living on top of each other. It's like what rodents do.

At least rodents are civilized enough not to speak in that rotten dirty accent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jonnypacket

Reiver wrote: »
    Dublin has never been Irish. It's a mixture of Vikings, Normans, Sassenachs and Palesmen.

Looks more like a mixture of Nigerians and Pakistanis these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Candie wrote: »
    Wheres Nox001 when you need him.

I was about to say the same thing :pac:

Advertisement