Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Intifada wrote: »
    A lot of the time when I go to Dublin it is quite hard to discern "gay culture" from the hordes of metrosexual embarrassments that pass for lads up there.

Head over to Flannerys next time you're up. You'll find the shirts tucked into boot cut jeans and brown shoes brigade in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

Looks more like a mixture of Nigerians and Pakistanis these days.

Really? Admittedly it's been a while since I was there but that's not the impression I was left with.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Looks more like a mixture of Nigerians and Pakistanis these days.

No problem whatsoever with them. At least they come from places with a distinct culture, language, history.

Dublin is just a wretched hive of scum and villainy. The island was doing fine before it and continue to do so long after it's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jonnypacket

Reiver wrote: »
    No problem whatsoever with them. At least they come from places with a distinct culture, language, history.

I never said they were a problem. Their mere presence culturally enriches us, just like it enriched the children in Rotherham. Diversity is strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Cormac... wrote: »
    Typical farmer, pretending like he got nothing, don't let them fool ya! Hard done by me hole. Probably has like 8 farms

With lots of 'road frontage'
    I always wondered why this 'frontage' makes land more valuable.Is it because advertising boards for local businesses can be placed on the side of the road therefore increasing the revenue for the landowner?Or am I way off the mark?
    Back on topic,in the internet age we live in no place could really be considered backwards,some of the people on the other hand...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

At least rodents are civilized enough not to speak in that rotten dirty accent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

With lots of 'road frontage'
    I always wondered why this 'frontage' makes land more valuable.Is it because advertising boards for local businesses can be placed there,increasing the revenue for the landowner?Or am I way off the mark?
    Back on topic,in the internet age we live in no place could really be considered backwards,some of the people on the other hand...

planning permission. with the right road frontage you could practically be a millionaire :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I must have been imagining a Dublin footballer on the radio earlier this week so encouraging people to vote no

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

I never said they were a problem. Their mere presence culturally enriches us, just like it enriched the children in Rotherham. Diversity is strength.

Do want me to carry your tar as your brush seems awful big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I must have been imagining a Dublin footballer on the radio earlier this week so encouraging people to vote no

Is Ger Brennan the only high profile Dubliner to support the no vote though?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

<snip> Too stereotypical

Well I'm from the best county in the world, or as you might know it, Mayo.
    I think it will really help in the progression of this thread if I give you my personal opinion on gay marriage.
    Remember, this is my own personal opinion. Some may hate it, but unfortunately I have to be honest.
    I think it's sick, revolting and far from normal.
    You cannot start a herd with two bulls.
    I'm proud of my country and its history. I will not stand for its reputation being ruined by it allowing people of the same sex to marry.
    If the Yes votes won and gay people got married, those couples would get harassed by hardcore Catholics and homophobes. I've seen it happen in this country on TV already, with single homosexuals that is. They were viciously attacked with the attacker calling them "queer" and other words that would insult a gay guy.
    The only people from the west of Ireland who will vote Yes would be those Roscommon fools.

So there you have it.

I'm Voting NOrmality I came up with the slogan myself. ;)

I'd like to see a Dub express themselves as eloquently.

bjork wrote: »
    planning permission. with the right road frontage you could practically be a millionaire :pac:

aha! This makes sense to me now.As a backward dub,this would never have occurred to me.I just notice when approaching country towns there is always ad boards for local pubs,garages etc.
    Learn something new every day as the they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

With all the talk about the upcoming referendum on gay marriage, I often hear people worry that it will be rejected due to the conservative, backward nature of rural Ireland. Obviously rural Ireland is not as cosmopolitan as Dublin and so the people there are less exposed to gay culture so perhaps their opinions stem from innocent ignorance. I'm not familiar with Ireland outside of Dublin but I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?
    A very backward Jackeen if ever there was one :rolleyes:

Rural Ireland=Real Ireland.

Dublin has never been Irish. It's a mixture of Vikings, Normans, Sassenachs and Palesmen. Never feel right there, so many people living on top of each other. It's like what rodents do.

Don't forget the dirty Russian gangs.Those dirty ****s.

I am in love with your statement "Rural Ireland = Real Ireland". I'm adding it to my signature.

I'd like to see a Dub express themselves as eloquently.

Ask me bollix :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jonnypacket

Most gays I know couldn't wait to leave their little rural village and move to Dublin. I can't imagine that there is much of a gay scene in Mayo, for example. No gay bars, not a massive pool of potential partners etc. Even buying lube in the local shop would get awkward as everyone tends to know each other in small rural communities and gossip spreads fast. Dublin is the centre of gay Ireland and that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I have no farm, hate the GAA ( no club here anyway) and I'm not a Catholic, and you have the cheek to call me backwards?!!

Most of the people around here are voting yes, including the priest and the retired COI minister I was talking to in the pub the other night, so take your assumptialisations elsewhere.

Nice word.......assumptialisations...

Ask me bollix :pac:

Ya right bud?

Nice try. Clearly you have family outside the M50, you're merely a blow-in there so it wouldn't be a fair test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Sure we're all a wee bit gay out in the sticks anyway.

I honestly only know 1 person that's going to vote no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

With all the talk about the upcoming referendum on gay marriage, I often hear people worry that it will be rejected due to the conservative, backward nature of rural Ireland. Obviously rural Ireland is not as cosmopolitan as Dublin and so the people there are less exposed to gay culture so perhaps their opinions stem from innocent ignorance. I'm not familiar with Ireland outside of Dublin but I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?

the guy that programms the hologramms in dublin airport lives in the muddy bit of mayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Who would want to live in a big city if they did not have too.
    Country living with a few acres and a detached house, no roving street gangs outside your house or some neighbours complaining about noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Backward!?!?! Nothing wrong when you live on the manor. :cool:

Dublin is the centre of gay Ireland and that's just the way it is.
    Rural Ireland=Real Ireland.

Dublin has never been Irish. It's a mixture of Vikings, Normans, Sassenachs and Palesmen. Never feel right there, so many people living on top of each other. It's like what rodents do.

I have confirmed my suspicions. I always knew that foreigners brought gayness into this country.

I declare war on Dublinia!

I have confirmed my suspicions. I always knew that foreigners brought gayness into this country.

I declare war on Dublinia!

I've no problem with gays. Dubs are my issue. The West remembers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The West remembers.

Remembers what?

Remembers what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Rural backwater, No.

Thirty years ago we certainly were, but not any more . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Even buying lube in the local shop would get awkward as everyone tends to know each other in small rural communities and gossip spreads fast.

Not at all. You can use it for delivering calves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Rural Ireland is not backwards. On the contrary, it is very progressive compared to rural areas of the US and much less isolated than rural areas of Canada or Australia.

The main 2 issues with rural Ireland are stereotypes and neglect by governments. The typical stereotypes are the GAA-loving, Catholic, Guinness and whiskey drinking culchie who works in an agricultural or machinery related job. Other interests of such include listening to and singing songs by the Wolfe Tones and telling old ghost stories. A lot of this is there and is grand but is just one dimension of rural Ireland. The intolerant person who ONLY watches GAA and who opposes SSM for the sake of it and the like are thankfully rare. Rural Ireland has as many people in services and professional sectors as in the affore-mentioned nowadays.

Government neglect has caused a lot of hardship for rural communities of late. Post offices, Garda stations, shops, pubs, butchers, hairdressers/barbers, hotels, restaurants, chippers and taxi services have ceased in many and/or scaled back their services. Some counties like Mayo have been hit harder and are more isolated than others. Criminals have often relocated their deeds from cities to rural areas. With less Gardai, they can operate more freely. All these do need to be reversed and we need business and services back in rural areas to keep people safe and secure.

Advertisement