Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Tis my field.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Reiver wrote: »

Did you have a bad winter or something?
    What do you remember about 1923.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Ya right bud?

Nice try. Clearly you have family outside the M50, you're merely a blow-in there so it wouldn't be a fair test.

Fair point,I have a distant cousin in panama,exports coffee,bananas and various other commodities out of there don't you know.He's doing quite well for himself out there too according to the Sunday world.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Ballyseedy amongst others. The Jackeens did worse in Kerry than the Brits ever did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

If you don't know....

there's no point in tellin' ya.

• Advertisement

Ballyseedy amongst others. The Jackeens did worse in Kerry than the Brits ever did.

Whatever that is, it must have been very tough on you, to hold onto that for 92 years!

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

The West Is Best!

Excuse me for using terms that might not be considered politically correct, but all Knackers share two things in common:

1. Being a different breed of humans
    2. Dublin accents.

Again, I Declare War On Dublinia!

Whatever that is, it must have been very tough on you, to hold onto that for 92 years!

They impounded the Marita Ann as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

You'd think we were all wildlings or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I'd hate to live anywhere that wasn't a city. The noise, the people and lights really are addictive. Maybe I'm just a moth :pac: My experience of the country, albeit small experience, has been far from great. The loneliness of acres of land paired with the limited oppurtunity for interactions with people and not cattle was torture. And then when I was around the people I wanted to leave because my god the people I was around (in farming areas and small towns {yes Galway centre is a town not a city}) had no social etiquette and were not at all inclusive.

I live in Dublin and country people often find it unfriendly but I've never had an experience of entering somewhere completely foreign with total strangers in Dublin and not leaving having felt like I was alone or unwanted, experiences which I did have in the country.

So yes, I think it is.

• Advertisement

You'd think we were all wildlings or something.

Girls night on the town out wesht.....

main-qimg-28536fa995f0a3ed29e6c019dede5c3e?convert_to_webp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

is a handpainted sign up in a field in oranmore co galway ..

'ya cant start a herd with two bulls' it says

'vote no'

had to laugh

The AI man has the last laugh, nor many bulls get to meet fanny......

Other interests of such include listening to and singing songs by the Wolfe Tones

Damn right. That's one stereotype you got right.

That thing about ghost stories, no. Not fake ones anyway.

During the Troubles, some man was killed and chopped up into bits on my bog. Occasionally I've seen a man walking around with a long coat that you'd usually have worn decades ago. I've also been right beside him. He seemed to not look at or take any notice of me. When I asked him "Who the hell are you?" he never responded.
    I also have a photograph of a ghost's face. It's very, very clear. It was taken in an old house and it's a long story and I've already gone off-topic so you'll have to PM me if you want to learn about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

With lots of 'road frontage'
    I always wondered why this 'frontage' makes land more valuable.Is it because advertising boards for local businesses can be placed on the side of the road therefore increasing the revenue for the landowner?Or am I way off the mark?
    Back on topic,in the internet age we live in no place could really be considered backwards,some of the people on the other hand...

Banks like road frontage too if you are borrowing as collateral, as it is easier to sell if you mess things up and can't pay them back.

Rural Ireland is a really nice place to live.

Unfortunately, there are a number of people who still think that Dublinia is a better place to live than Ireland. We should have a poll.
    Obviously the West is best but I want to settle things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

Lau2976 wrote:
    I'd hate to live anywhere that wasn't a city. The noise, the people and lights really are addictive. Maybe I'm just a moth My experience of the country, albeit small experience, has been far from great. The loneliness of acres of land paired with the limited oppurtunity for interactions with people and not cattle was torture. And then when I was around the people I wanted to leave because my god the people I was around (in farming areas and small towns {yes Galway centre is a town not a city}) had no social etiquette and were not at all inclusive.

I'd hate to live in a city, the noise, the lights and all those people would drive me crazy. The peace and comfort of acres of land with no need to interact with people and only a few cows, along with the sound of all the birds and insects us pure bliss.

I love going outside at night and actually being able to look up and see stars rather than a dull orange glow. I also prefer the country smells, wild flowers and freshly cut grass, even slurry and silage to the smell of too many people crowded together, too much traffic, rubbish and too many takeaways you get in big towns or cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Ranchu wrote: »
    Is Ger Brennan the only high profile Dubliner to support the no vote though?

I heard Ger on the radio the other morning, and despite giving a convincing and passionate account of himself, he was continually referred to as "The Dublin Footballer"
    The fact that he is a teacher in a good sized secondary school was not mentioned. As such, as well as his personal convictions, he would be voicing the general opinions of his employers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Dey be ridin der sisters on beds of straw.

In Dublin there does be alot of crime and sure it's only themselves to be blamed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I heard Ger on the radio the other morning, and despite giving a convincing and passionate account of himself, he was continually referred to as "The Dublin Footballer"
    The fact that he is a teacher in a good sized secondary school was not mentioned. As such, as well as his personal convictions, he would be voicing the general opinions of his employers.

The two may go hand in hand in Gers case but I'm not sure he is doing it at the behest of his employer. In the context of this thread I think that the only reason his story is getting so much press is because he is from Dublin whereas the vast majority of the high profile proponents of the no side are from outside Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

eternal wrote: »
    Dey be ridin der sisters on beds of straw.
    Dey'd be a better chance of that happing in Dublin when ye never leave it there's bound to be a bit of inbreeding going on. Only saw now a corkman who thinks he's a dub.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Dey'd be a better chance of that happing in Dublin when ye never leave it there's bound to be a bit of inbreeding going on. Only saw now a corkman who thinks he's a dub.

It is indeed distressing how many immigrants to the city forget their heritage and "go native". The amount of Kildare and Meathmen trying it is absolutely appalling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Sam Kade wrote: »

I'm a woman and never said I was from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I am from Kerry
    I live on a farm
    Don't play GAA
    Do play soccer
    Will be voting Yes
    Don't listen to ra music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?

Probably as true as your claim that Dublin is cosmopolitan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I take issue with an earlier statement that Donegal is the forgotten county. It is not, it is Carlow (scallion land) or had ye all forgotten that?

Most of my elderly farmer neighbours are voting No, don't like the look of 'dem gay lads in Dublin', as seen on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

When you live in the country/sticks for many many years, a person gets the feeling of normality with the beauty of nature and the country-side, and
    therefore feels everything is placid and 'normal', even in regards to the few persons they might associate or meet with, as they would have the same
    feeling in this placid reality of saneness and stability.

Now, add 10 new folks from a city-life culture to live in this close knit community of a few country folk and things get a bit strange, as these new city
    folk will have different feelings and thoughts regarding their outlook on life coming from a city culture/more open-minded let's say.

The farmers and country folk meet these city dwellers and have a few pints and a chat. The 10 city-folk say they are all gay and love their same-sex
    people. The farmers are astonished and shocked by this, while a neuron-flash of sheep with stretched out back legs floats slowly past in their visual
    cortex. The country folk are afraid and feel a strong feeling of dread and fear from these gay 'happy' nut-cases from the city.
    The farmers and fellow folk of which lived in a placid normality of their world has changed to fear and repulsion. What I am trying to say is in regards to

the prime directive... of which states as follows...

The Prime Directive is the guiding principle of the United Federation of citizens. The Prime Directive prohibits gay people from interfering with the internal development of natural civilisations. This conceptual law applies particularly to civilisations which are below a certain threshold of cultural development; preventing gay people from using their 'so-called' superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them.

When a city-folk of gay spacers interferes with an old and normal and basic culture of realism and common sense the country folk are destroyed by the gay 'happy people'. Then the world ends up being gay. After 26 million years the earth itself turns gay. The earth in its gayness (happiness) wants to electromagnetically connect to venus because venus just turned gay at this time. On the earths following collision with venus, mars says HEY!!! NO.

We just averted an intergalactic kegger.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Doris300

Intifada wrote: »
    A lot of the time when I go to Dublin it is quite hard to discern "gay culture" from the hordes of metrosexual embarrassments that pass for lads up there.

disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Most rural folk I know are highly independent and well able to make their own minds up. The "rural" folk of the stereotype can generally be found living in an urban setting (yes folks, Ballygobackwards is actually a settlement of a few hundred, complete with state provided plumbing). A phrase comparing the capacity of a depleted vessel and decibels comes to mind...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Advertisement