Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

We'll all know what way areas voted next week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I don't know which is worse to assume everyone from the country is backward or to assume everyone from a city is progressive.

Moronic post.

I never even mentioned the word backward. Please don't misrepresent me. Cities are progressive, treat yourself to a city break sometime, you'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

John_Rambo wrote:
    Interaction with people is actually a good thing. You should try it in real life, not on the internet.

Nooooooooooo, I've never been a people person. I chat to the lads at work, the family at home, wave to the neighbours when I'm out doing the lawns and that's enough for me.

I've been to a good few cities and other than Rome I really wasn't terribly keen on them. It just wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,747 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Moronic post.

I never even mentioned the word backward. Please don't misrepresent me. Cities are progressive, treat yourself to a city break sometime, you'll see.

I was in a large city abroad in the US, my friend who is also white suffered racism from a black person in a city.
    Never experienced that problem in rural areas.

The biggest protest to having the Queen visit was in Dublin, not elsewhere outside Dublin where she visited.
    A SF person attended her visit to Cashel, even though the party were boycotting it.

Rural can be more progressive than Urban.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tenz

I was walking up South William st. a while ago and I spotted a guy walking towards me in a dress with make up and high heels. I distinctly remember a mix of fear, apprehension, bravery and defiance in his face as he walked towards me.

If he lived in rural ireland, he'd be known as the local oddity. "Sound lad, but a wee bit queer in the head. Sure didn't he have an uncle the same."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I have no farm, hate the GAA ( no club here anyway) and I'm not a Catholic, and you have the cheek to call me backwards?!!

says the backwards man

:cool:

RobertKK wrote: »
    The biggest protest to having the Queen visit was in Dublin, not elsewhere outside Dublin where she visited.even though the party were boycotting it.

The Irish Farmers Association had a huge protest in Dublin. Hundreds of farmers protested. Dublin cares more about farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

The Irish Farmers Association had a huge protest in Dublin. Hundreds of farmers protested. Dublin cares more about farmers.

Most of Ireland's potatoes are grown in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

no wonder there was a famine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

No. You're welcome. It's not a case of safely in numbers. There's a huge degree of acceptance, non-judgement and we basically don't really care how you dress or behave as long as you're not harming or being rude.

I've been verbally abused by strangers in the street twice in my life. Both times were in Dublin. And that was while visiting. Once I was called a queer because I had short hair and was holding my boyfriends hand so from the back they thought I was a man also.
    Another time I bent down to get something out of my bag and a group of lads roared across the road at me about the ample size of my arse. Combine that with the junkies harassing me outside the train station and I don't find Dublin all that welcoming. I like the city but I don't think it's without it's flaws.

I've lived in other Irish cities and am now settled in a large town.
    I think in terms of the referendum and the no vote, most rural areas (and I'm not talking larger towns) have an aging population who are proven to actually vote and be more conservative. A lot of younger people are living abroad or in cities and then there's a lot who are registered to vote locally but in college or working elsewhere so will be no shows.

So it looks from voting that rural areas are behind the times. But probably a lot of the younger people and middle aged are yes voters but registered in cities or whatever.
    The town I live in is very progressive and the gay people I know are out and don't get any crap for it. They are accepted.
    Very rural areas though tend to be more conservative than in towns from my own experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

This mornings Newstalk snippet from Donegal suggests it is a little bit of Alabama towed across the Atlantic. Some of them said they were voting no because men and men kissing is "just wrong".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Obviously rural Ireland is not as cosmopolitan as Dublin

Well you learn something new everyday. Apparently Dublin is now cosmopolitan.

With all the talk about the upcoming referendum on gay marriage, I often hear people worry that it will be rejected due to the conservative, backward nature of rural Ireland. Obviously rural Ireland is not as cosmopolitan as Dublin and so the people there are less exposed to gay culture so perhaps their opinions stem from innocent ignorance. I'm not familiar with Ireland outside of Dublin but I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?

We have a saying down our way that goes
    "Ah, Rural Ireland. Where Men are Men and sheep are afraid"
    We also export our offspring to the Cities, where they go and breed quare creatures that pass as humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Cities are progressive, treat yourself to a city break sometime, you'll see.

Yeah that's the main reason for visiting a city alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Its very exaggerated, I know a few 'out' gay and lesbian men and women from places like Clare and Mayo and they're treated just as well there as in Dublin. Obviously the percentage of people voting no will be higher outside of the GDA but overall ireland is a liberal accepting country no matter where you go. Rural people are just less exposed to gay people, not less accepting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Certain secluded rural areas of my home county in the midlands are like the foothills of Georgia, full of big ignorant hayseeds with a disdain for 'townies' and no respect for the rule of law in this country. The likes of Drink driving, no tax and insurance, 12 year olds driving farm machinery on the public roads.

They're not all quaint loveable rogue types either, many of them from my experience are downright nasty, especially with drink on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

With all the talk about the upcoming referendum on gay marriage, I often hear people worry that it will be rejected due to the conservative, backward nature of rural Ireland. Obviously rural Ireland is not as cosmopolitan as Dublin and so the people there are less exposed to gay culture so perhaps their opinions stem from innocent ignorance. I'm not familiar with Ireland outside of Dublin but I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?

I live in a rural area and plan to vote yes. However, I grew up in an urban area. Also, my other half and I lived in cities for years and have travelled far and wide. We are also relatively young and quite educated. We also work in urban areas. As such, we have been subject to a range of influences, and I think that's what matters.

I can only speak based on my own experience but there is definitely homophobia amongst the older generation here - no doubt. From what I've seen, they associate it with sexual deviancy and even paedophilia. I do not know one single "out" gay person in the entire parish, which says a lot. It will change, but it will take a generation to die out.

People in my area are indeed very fixated on the GAA! However, bear in mind I am a rural dweller and could barely tell you the difference between a hurley and a sliothar and wouldn't even watch an all-Ireland final if my county was in it.

Farming is very important for the older generation, but the younger generation generally lack interest in it.

As for the Catholic Church, in general the younger people have no interest but the older people are quite religious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I live in rural Ireland three of my best friend's are gay. Me and my family will be voting yes... I'm surprised stereo typing in this day and age still come into play in someone's thought process. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Satori Rae wrote: »
    I live in rural Ireland three of my best friend's are gay. Me and my family will be voting yes... I'm surprised stereo typing in this day and age still come into play in someone's thought process. :/

Well the stereotypes are not completely unfounded like, Id eat my hat if the percentage of no votes wasn't considerably higher in say rural clare than south dublin..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

KCC wrote:
    I can only speak based on my own experience but there is definitely homophobia amongst the older generation here - no doubt. From what I've seen, they associate it with sexual deviancy and even paedophilia. I do not know one single "out" gay person in the entire parish, which says a lot. It will change, but it will take a generation to die out.

They associate being gay with paedophilia? Seriously? I've never met anyone, townie or culchie, of any age, quite that dumb.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Be Yourself

No it's not. Don't believe what the Dublin based media tells you.

Aha ha ha :D Looks who's talking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

I've met people from Dublin who are far more backward than anyone I've met from the 'country'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well the stereotypes are not completely unfounded like, Id eat my hat if the percentage of no votes wasn't considerably higher in say rural clare than south dublin..

Well I can only speak for my family and two others in this area all raised catholic all voting yes except one family member born and bred in a town still living in a big town who is voting no, encase one day the gays over rule us....unfortunately their words :/

Anyone can be backwards no matter where they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I find it interesting the amount of thanks this sort of anti-gay post. You see, that's the beauty of cities. You can (most of the time) dress how you want. People are made welcome. Sure millions of rural people from all over the world have made Dublin their home. Hipsters, rockers, lovers, ravers, elderly, foreigners, LBGT, visitors etc.

I was walking up South William st. a while ago and I spotted a guy walking towards me in a dress with make up and high heels. I distinctly remember a mix of fear, apprehension, bravery and defiance in his face as he walked towards me. I got the impression this might have been one of his first outings in this attire. I had my two year old on my shoulders.

His eyes caught mine and I nodded and smiled, he returned my smile, waved at my two year old boy, threw his shoulders back, stuck his chin up in the air and marched on by me with a quick hello leaving me in a whirl of excellent perfume. If you're reading this my friend, you looked fantastic.

I love city life. I love the warmth of the city, my close knit community, the interaction I have with an amazing mix of people, the opportunities it affords me, the random conversations, the depth of culture, the beaches, parklands, woodlands, wildlife... everything about it.

I don't care if you're metrosexual, gay, straight, rural. I'm accepting. Cities are accepting, that's the nature of them.

Interaction with people is actually a good thing. You should try it in real life, not on the internet. ;)

Not always.

I happened to be in Dublin one day and also saw a fella in a dress coming towards me, it wasn't the culchie (me) that started shouting abuse at him, no it was a few Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

There's only one answer to this - Banjo Duel. If the misfortunate, heroin-addled City fella has no banjo, give him one. Gentlemen, start your engines. We're from Chountah Limerrigg, junowhattah-fcukan-mane??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Certain secluded rural areas of my home county in the midlands are like the foothills of Georgia, full of big ignorant hayseeds with a disdain for 'townies' and no respect for the rule of law in this country. The likes of Drink driving, no tax and insurance, 12 year olds driving farm machinery on the public roads.

They're not all quaint loveable rogue types either, many of them from my experience are downright nasty, especially with drink on them.

I find that compliance with the law, be it here or down the country, has a direct correlation with the likelihood of enforcement.
    It's lax in the cities, but since half the garda stations were closed down you're a likely to see a police officer patrolling in rural Ireland as you are to see a chimp on unicycle playing the national anthem on a kazoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,172 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

conorhal wrote: »
    I find that compliance in the law, be it here or down the country, has a direct correlation with the likelihood of enforcement.
    It's lax in the cities, but since half the garda stations were closed down you're a likely to see a police officer patrolling in rural Ireland as you are to see a chimp on unicycle playing the national anthem on a kazoo.

I happened to be in Dublin one day and also saw a fella in a dress coming towards me, it wasn't the culchie (me) that started shouting abuse at him, no it was a few Dubs.

Yeah, right, same street as my story too was it? Jaysus, if you're going to make up stories to make a place you don't like seem bad at least don't replicate my story exactly and stick a negative spin on the end of it.

Don't believe a word of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah, right, same street as my story too was it? Jaysus, if you're going to make up stories to make a place you don't like seem bad at least don't replicate my story exactly and stick a negative spin on the end of it.

Don't believe a word of it.

I'm not making anything up, and I don't like being called a liar.

Advertisement