Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm not making anything up, and I don't like being called a liar.

Dry your eyes. You took my story, replicated it, a guy wearing a dress, in Dublin, and in your version of the story you (a countryman) didn't start shouting abuse at him, but a few Dubs did? You were a 100% sure they were Dubs? I suppose they had thick Dublin accents and Dublin Jerseys, singing Molly Malone, eating coddle and you were talking to them and they told you they were from Dublin?

Pants on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Dry your eyes. You took my story, replicated it, a guy wearing a dress, in Dublin, and in your version of the story you (a countryman) didn't start shouting abuse at him, but a few Dubs did? You were a 100% sure they were Dubs? I suppose they had thick Dublin accents and Dublin Jerseys, singing Molly Malone, eating coddle and you were talking to them and they told you they were from Dublin?

Pants on fire.

Looks like you're not as accepting as you think you are , Johnny boy.

Looks like you're not as accepting as you think you are , Johnny boy.

I'm very accepting. But I think it's low to make up stories to put a place down. You will notice that I didn't put rural places down in my posts. All I did was explain how my city works, how I view it and how I like it.

I told a truthful story, something that happened and resonated with me, it struck me. Nothing amazing happened, nothing terrible happened. They guy was obviously nervous and indeed he could have got abused by anyone the second he walked around the corner. But, the fact remains that he felt confident enough to do it. In Dublin.

Then you come along with your half baked story, didn't even say where it happened. You're post is a cheap nasty pot-shot lie. ;)

I'm very accepting. But I think it's low to make up stories to put a place down. You will notice that I didn't put rural places down in my posts. All I did was explain how my city works, how I view it and how I like it.

I told a truthful story, something that happened and resonated with me, it struck me. Nothing amazing happened, nothing terrible happened. They guy was obviously nervous and indeed he could have got abused by anyone the second he walked around the corner. But, the fact remains that he felt confident enough to do it. In Dublin.

Then you come along with your half baked story, didn't even say where it happened. You're post is a cheap nasty pot-shot lie. ;)

I know what happened, you come on and accuse me of lying to discredit your story, and now now you're saying I'm a lowlife as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not always.

I happened to be in Dublin one day and also saw a fella in a dress coming towards me, it wasn't the culchie (me) that started shouting abuse at him, no it was a few Dubs.

Dublin is accepting of gay people, transvestites aren't treated the same.I think it will be a while before transgender are as accepted even in cities

• Advertisement

I know what happened

Sure. I presume you were on your own, nobody else witnessed it! :):pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I love Dublin and disagree with a lot of the negativity towards it, but it's ludicrous to be so defensive of it as to deny there can be a narrowminded element there.
    It's not all sophistication and enlightenment and acceptance in any capital city - not even New York, London or Paris.

I don't think all of rural Ireland is "backwards" either. Some of it wouldn't be great to be growing up in gay etc, but this does not apply to all of rural Ireland by a long shot.

Sometimes Irish people can be a bit keen to do the auld self flagellating "We're so backward in the country but Dublin is a bit more enlightened thing" as a default, but while that was probably more true 30 years ago, things have changed massively and it's not so cut and dry as that any more.

Sure. I presume you were on your own, nobody else witnessed it! :):pac::pac:

Still calling me a liar so I see.

Still calling me a liar so I see.

Tell us the full story, what street did this happen on? What time of the night was it, I presume it was night time and you were staying over in the city?
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Dublin is accepting of gay people, transvestites aren't treated the same.I think it will be a while before transgender are as accepted even in cities

Yeah, agreed to a point. You don't see them that often, and I did point out that the guy had a sense of fear and trepidation about him. He wasn't 100% confident.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

John_Rambo, knock it off please. Don't call other users a liar without any proof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

There are backwards people everywhere, the people make the place I find

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I love Dublin and disagree with a lot of the negativity towards it, but it's ludicrous to be so defensive of it as to deny there can be a narrowminded element there. It's not all sophistication and enlightenment and acceptance in any capital city - not even New York, London or Paris.

Very true..........New York isn't actually the capital though, kinda beside the point but I just thought I'd mention it anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Just Be Yourself

Why are lads walking around in dresses in Dublin? What the hell's going on?!

I love Dublin and disagree with a lot of the negativity towards it, but it's ludicrous to be so defensive of it as to deny there can be a narrowminded element there.
    It's not all sophistication and enlightenment and acceptance in any capital city - not even New York, London or Paris.

I don't think all of rural Ireland is "backwards" either. Some of it wouldn't be great to be growing up in gay etc, but this does not apply to all of rural Ireland by a long shot.

Sometimes Irish people can be a bit keen to do the auld self flagellating "We're so backward in the country but Dublin is a bit more enlightened thing" as a default, but while that was probably more true 30 years ago, things have changed massively and it's not so cut and dry as that any more.

Hmm..my gay friend from galway says he is one of only 5 openly gay people in the city of galway that he knows of..I can think of 5 gay people in my year in college alone who are openly gay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Hmm..my gay friend from galway says he is one of only 5 openly gay people in the city of galway that he knows of..I can think of 5 gay people in my year in college alone who are openly gay

Maybe he just doesn't know a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Ive been reading the feed on the facebook page of a 'straight' man who I have been with a few times in 2013. He is saying he will vote no, and has got 44 likes for saying that. What follows is a litany of incredibly vulgar homophobic abuse, including a doctored version of one of the no posters with disturbing undertones regarding same sex parenting. This lad is rural and was always going on about religion when I knew him. I think whats becoming clear to many LGBT people now is what some men in rural Ireland actually think of us in their heads. However there were also one or two critical remarks by females. Not that surprising given women overwhelmingly support gay marriage in polls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Well I just said rural Ireland has changed somewhat, I didn't say completely.

I'm very surprised at the prospect of people feeling they have to hide being gay in Galway. University/party town with a fairly bohemian, arty ethos going on? Don't buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

There's a bit of the "only gay in the village" vibe coming off this thread.

As a dub I'd bet a lot of rural Ireland is safer for gays and inter racial dating than some parts of feral lumpen Dublin.

Well the stereotypes are not completely unfounded like, Id eat my hat if the percentage of no votes wasn't considerably higher in say rural clare than south dublin..

It might be interesting to compare votes in poorer parts of Dublin.

Lots of fellow dubs with rose tinted glasses here. Dublin isn't New York. It's got a pretty reactionary underclass ( I'm not saying working class deliberately) and I've see verbal attacks on people all the time largely racist but I'm sure gay where it's obvious (my gf is Indian).

• Advertisement

It might be interesting to compare votes in poorer parts of Dublin.

Lots of fellow dubs with rose tinted glasses here. Dublin isn't New York. It's got a pretty reactionary underclass ( I'm not saying working class deliberately) and I've see verbal attacks on people all the time largely racist but I'm sure gay where it's obvious (my gf is Indian).

Oh yeah Id agree with that. I was just talking about south dublin where I live. Id prefer be coloured or gay in mayo than inner city north dublin definitely

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Well I just said rural Ireland has changed somewhat, I didn't say completely.

Are we supposed to follow Dublin?

For the third time in this thread,
    I Declare War On Dublinia!

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Not that surprising given women overwhelmingly support gay marriage in polls.

I'm finding out new stuff everyday.

I have learned of a third reason we have gayness in Ireland.

1. Dublin
    2. Foreigners
    and now...
    3. Women

To remove gayness from Ireland we need to remove Dublin, foreigners and women.

For the fourth time in this thread,
    I Declare War On Dublinia! (and women, and foreigners)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

For the fourth time in this thread,
    I Declare War On Dublinia! (and women, and foreigners)

Yeah, that wan't amusing the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I would say that a lot of the feral scumbags roaming around Dublin who make obscene comments about being anti same sex marriage out in the street just to make undue attention to themselves are simply not representative of the more tolerant people living there in the first place. Most of the stuff said from the Dublin scummers would be irrelevant and instantly ignored because it paints city people living there in a negative light in which it shouldn't be at all.

Tbh I hate that light being painted on me as a Dubliner because of the city's past from it's drug problems and all that crap. The amount of times that I have seen them verbally harassing other people in Dublin City Centre including harassing me over the years would tell you that a lot people just act like pricks there through no fault of my own. And that is a sad feature of living in Dublin because any major problems that these people encountered in the past would never come close to being solved and never even come close to even forgive and forget.

The irony in that though is those sort of incidents is not really heard about in rural Ireland because they are more of a rare occurrence in the countryside. That would be the general idea from my experience from going on holidays in different parts of Ireland on various occasions. I do feel more safer and secure in the country rather than going about my daily business in the city because I see less occurrences of crime there when I am there on holiday. In that I see far less people in the country shooting up on heroin from a dirty needle in broad daylight that would go rather unnoticed in a place like Dublin. And for that; I am very grateful in a place like the Irish countryside to keep me away from seeing that ****e on a regular basis.

If I had an opportunity to live in the country; I wouldn't want to live in a farmhouse environment in where they would be too much work to look after a farm and to be responsible for looking after farm animals and look after a big farmhouse on top of that. I also wouldn't do that for health reasons as I would suffer from hayfever during the summer time. I think a smaller house in a rural area will be more manageable for my needs. I also wouldn't mind a few gay friends either as I do know of a few gay people living in Dublin and they are generally very easy going and friendly.

So that's my two cents about living in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I love the way talk of racism and homophobia in Dublin gets tagged to the inner city, as if middle class people are somehow incapable of being bigots. Give over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

FTA69 wrote: »
    I love the way talk of racism and homophobia in Dublin gets tagged to the inner city, as if middle class people are somehow incapable of being bigots. Give over.

They are the biggest bigots of all, intellectual hypocrisy.

Well I live in middle class Dublin and its really not okay at all with the vast majority of people, a person saying they're voting no would be met with a gasp

And putting down or being mean to somebody just because they're a different race? That just does not ever happen, ever

The more wealthy a region or area is the more it corresponds me with liberal values , this trend is noticed almost everywhere in every place on earth

Actually the thread is about "backwards country people", it's a bit odd to ignore that generalisation and get upset about dubliners.

Furthermore a criticism of inner city Dublin does not exempt other bigotries elsewhere. Nevertheless I think there are safer parts of the city to be gay or different than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

So that's my two cents about living in Dublin.
    Are wan 'a dose spare bud?

Advertisement