Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is rural Ireland as backwards as people say?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

But thank you for your lighthearted jibes at people suffering from mental health issues.

Phew... glad you liked them man, I was worried it'd come across a bit crass and tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The amount of people (of all generations and walks of life) who have said that to me, isn't even funny.
    Maybe you look like a stereotypical love\hate dub and they're afraid to say it to you.

I look about 15 years old:P Ive heard people say they like Dublin and others said they didn't like it but any who said that said they didn't like ireland over all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

pconn062 wrote: »
    It's very true, I'm currently playing hurling with 2 sheep, a cow and the local priest.

I bet you it goes to a replay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

With all the talk about the upcoming referendum on gay marriage, I often hear people worry that it will be rejected due to the conservative, backward nature of rural Ireland. Obviously rural Ireland is not as cosmopolitan as Dublin and so the people there are less exposed to gay culture so perhaps their opinions stem from innocent ignorance. I'm not familiar with Ireland outside of Dublin but I imagine rural dwellers are more fixated on farming, GAA and the Catholic church. How true is this?

I guess us rural folk wouldn't be as smart as city folk. I mean we are so dumb that we actually pay less for houses, accommodation in general, drink, rates. We don't get up at 6 in the morning to get to work in time. We don't lock our doors at 7 in the evening and we are not scared to let the kids out to play on their own. As for Dublin being cosmopolitan, it would only make up a suburb of a real city like Bejing NYC, Rio,London . Not to mention the fact that the real money movers and shakers in Dublin and Ireland in general are culchies.

Most gays I know couldn't wait to leave their little rural village and move to Dublin. I can't imagine that there is much of a gay scene in Mayo, for example. No gay bars, not a massive pool of potential partners etc. Even buying lube in the local shop would get awkward as everyone tends to know each other in small rural communities and gossip spreads fast. Dublin is the centre of gay Ireland and that's just the way it is.

You're certainly selling Dublin there johnny .I mean who could resist being able to 'buy lube in the local shop' and live in the centre of gay Irelamd!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Why do you think your "cool and forward thinking" culture is better than theirs?

Why do you want to exterminate Irish culture?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Oh but I always feel so terribly terribly sad when people froma tiny island with tiny towns and tiny cities have to play "My tiny place is better than your tiny place".
    Get over your selves.

PS Longford has a drug problem...HOWS THAT FOR COSMOPOLITAN LOOSERS!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Oh but I always feel so terribly terribly sad when people froma tiny island with tiny towns and tiny cities have to play "My tiny place is better than your tiny place"

Then the ones that did a weekend break in Munich chime in to tell us how tiny our cities and towns are and how sophisticated they are and how sad we make them feel?
    Nope the information was volunteered unasked. The reason that most of my posts hate Dublin is that I've just joined and its an issue I feel particularly inscensed about.

Well, if you're particularly incensed about your own irrational and immature hatred of your capital, the cultural centre and the the economical powerhouse of the country you should probably post about it in Personal Issues. You'll most likely get help and advice there.
    I guess us rural folk wouldn't be as smart as city folk. I mean we are so dumb that we actually pay less for houses, accommodation in general, drink, rates. We don't get up at 6 in the morning to get to work in time. We don't lock our doors at 7 in the evening and we are not scared to let the kids out to play on their own. As for Dublin being cosmopolitan, it would only make up a suburb of a real city like Bejing NYC, Rio,London . Not to mention the fact that the real money movers and shakers in Dublin and Ireland in general are culchies.

Yeah, you're right in a way, whilst there's a strong work ethic in the city (people do get up early and work hard) the house prices are high for a reason. People want to live there.

Great that you don't have to lock your doors at 7pm. I guess the rise in rural break ins is a myth and it's the correct decision to close down rural Garda stations.

And you're also correct about not letting the kids play out on their own. They are let out to play with their friends, you see we have communities, not houses dotted sporadically all over the place. As for Dublin being cosmopolitan, that it is. Send me a PM or drop over to the Dublin City forum. Myself or other Dubliners would be delighted to advice you where and what to do in your capital.

The fact that 90% of the prison population is made up of Dubs must reflect something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

The fact that 90% of the prison population is made up of Dubs must reflect something?
    Considerably higher population than anywhere else?

• Advertisement

Considerably higher population than anywhere else?

30% of the population.

Imagine having to spend 4 hours per day driving in and out of work in some pseudo cool job in Dublin where some young Yank in a pink t sirt will tell you how wonderful ye dub guys are and what a quaint little city ye have.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,204 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Do people really still go to Dublin to do their Christmas shopping? There really isn't any need, any medium sized town has enough to keep anyone going these days.

I thought we were discussing our country here, the North is a separate country and can't be included in any comparisons.

Yep. A lot of people still go to Dublin to do shopping. Lets face it, somewhere like Arklow can't compete with Dublin for shopping. Not saying Arklow is a kip, I've never actually been there, but the simple size difference means there are far more options and some people will go there.

The same way people from Dublin will leave the city for weekends away in the countryside. It's not that Dublin is bad it's just that it's not Killarney.

And belfast was mentioned in the post I was replying to.

Well as someone who is not from Dublin and who is from an area that's a mixture of urban and rural, I'm as neutral as one can get - and the extremes from either direction are just as insufferable.

You also have feck all jobs which is why Dublin is filled with culchies (like me) who went there for work.

You really seem to hate Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

30% of the population.

Well, the city itself is just over 1 million people, which is 22% of the population, the GDA which actually includes wicklow,kildare and meath makes up 36% of the population.

Lovely, so he got some stereotypical pictures of some drunk, fighting Irish and you consider that showing him culture? Puhlease!
    And as well, I've lived in Belfast. I've been there for the marches (which btw don't just happen July). No, its not ideal but tbh I've never felt less welcome than anyone else. My first night in Belfast, my friends and I walked into the first pub we saw. We had just called out our order, when my eye fell on a massive portrait of Rev. Ian Paisley right behind the bar. Were we run out of the place with pitchforks? No, we were not. Half the bar were buying us drinks and telling us our accents were lovely (never happens in Dublin). Why? because they know how they are perceived and want to show that they are just as human as everyone else.
    You can quote EU surveys about people not marrying outside their religion, but it simply isn't the reality on the ground (except on Andersontown Road and East Belfast say), having spent a lot of time in both I'd pick a Belfastian(of any religion) over a Dubliner any day of the week, less of a misguided superiority complex, and more open minded of places that don't have a postcode beginning with D.

As it happens I brought him to trinity, Dublin castle (that was to see the chester beatty library because of the ancient religious manuscripts) and the national museum....on saturday. This was an evening after work when we went into town. Feel free to cast aspersions and make judgement. Also feel free to hate Dublin.

And I'd trust a logical analytical survey over your personal experience anyday. Because that's the way surveys work. You get a large enough sample size and you can actually make a judgement on the rest of the population.

If you want to disagree come up with a different survey or just simply choose to disbelieve maths.

I've been to belfast on an intervarsity years ago. The guys in the queens team were from both sides of the divides and they got on great. We got on great with all of them.

A survey that says over 50% of people doesn't mean that all of them are like that. I've met the guys who aren't But I'm also willing to bet that a lot of guys in the pub you were in wouldn't want a load of catholics to start buying up property on their street. And I still wouldn't turn up at a bonfire in July. Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Grayson wrote: »
    Not saying Arklow is a kip, I've never actually been there

If you had, you would know that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My first night in Belfast, my friends and I walked into the first pub we saw. We had just called out our order, when my eye fell on a massive portrait of Rev. Ian Paisley right behind the bar. Were we run out of the place with pitchforks? No, we were not. Half the bar were buying us drinks and telling us our accents were lovely (never happens in Dublin).

I'm just seeing this now!! AMAZING story hahahahaaaa!!! Half the bar were buying you drinks and telling you your accents were lovely! :pac::pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

wakka12 wrote: »
    Well, the city itself is just over 1 million people, which is 22% of the population, the GDA which actually includes wicklow,kildare and meath makes up 36% of the population.

My mistake then. Son in fact 22% of the population(Dubs) make up 90% of the prison population, nuff said.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »

You really seem to hate Dublin.

Could'nt be futher from the truth. I love going there and sell loads of my products to Dubs. I find it incredibly easy to sell to them and to be honest I find them a bit gullible and not as discerning as country folk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

We'll know after Friday if rural Ireland is as backwards as people say.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

So you'll blame a NO vote on Farmers and Rural Folk:confused:

Deathwish4 wrote: »

No I will not. It will be interesting after Friday to see how the various constituencies vote, and what constituencies are more progressive than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Rural Ireland are entitled to vote any way they choose to. If the majority vote NO, then that's their prerogative. Masks are beginning to slip from the YES side ie. Vote how we want our else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Deathwish4 wrote: »

That what I love about they "yes" side. Equality is what they champion....unless you vote no...then you are a bigot and not to be treated equally.....or if your from a rural area your "backwards" and also don't deserve to be treated equally.

Their over the top preaching has actually begun to majorly unravel now.

That what I love about they "yes" side. Equality is what they champion....unless you vote no...then you are a bigot and not to be treated equally.....or if your from a rural area your "backwards" and also don't deserve to be treated equally.

Hey asshole, I live in rural Ireland.

Hey asshole, I live in rural Ireland.

Hey homo sapien, I live in rural Ireland.

But why should they respect a view that champions a group of people having less rights? It's not the entire yes side anyway. If people are voting no and the reason isn't some pathetic getting back at yes voters who annoy them nonsense, then I and any yes voters I know, while we disagree with them, realise we have to leave them to it. It's understandable too when it comes to older people as the idea of marriage being anything other than what they're used to must be hard for them to get their heads around.

• Advertisement

But why should they respect a view that champions a group of people having less rights? It's not the entire yes side anyway. If people are voting no and the reason isn't some pathetic getting back at yes voters who annoy them nonsense, then I and any yes voters I know, while we disagree with them, realise we have to leave them to it. It's understandable too when it comes to older people as the idea of marriage being anything other than what they're used to must be hard for them to get their heads around.

Does equality not mean treating everyone equal? Thats basically why they should respect the views of those saying no. Everyone irregardless of their side should be treated equally if they actually do preach equality otherwise its not really equality. They say one thing but then discriminate against those who disagree. It is ridiculous.

(no I'm not saying this to you but there are certain yes voters who have been vicious in defending the "yes" and attacking or labelling the "no", which is completely counter-productive to their view and just makes them appear intolerant bigots themselves while preaching the opposite)

Advertisement