Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options
  • 14-05-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭

Director Gareth Edwards has found another rebel fighter to battle the Empire. Sources tell Variety that Diego Luna is in talks for a lead role alongside Felicity Jones and Riz Ahmed, with Ben Mendelsohn set to star as the film’s primary villain Source

Ben is a great actor, so good choice as the villain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

As much as I'm really liking the whole concept and story of the film, the last line in this story brought a big smile to my face. Nothing too spoilery but sensitive types might ignore it :)

http://comicbook.com/2015/06/13/star-wars-rogue-one-details-rumored-to-be-revealed/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Jesus for a a split second i got Gareth Edwards mixed with Gareth Evans. Now THAT would be a star wars film i'd get behind.

Looking forward to this, the idea behind it sounds deadly and i'd be all over a real gritty star wars film just to see how it looks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Got a first look at some of the cast from this; certainly looks like the grubby, used aesthetic of the original trilogy is present here too:

http://www.starwars.com/news/rogue-one-the-daring-mission-has-begun-cast-and-crew-announced

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Some set photos on TMZ.

Nothing too spoilery

http://www.tmz.com/2015/09/15/rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-set-photos/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

If the two problems with Edwards' Godzilla (lumpen pacing and lack of personality to anything) are gone this could be something special.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,480 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Without googling, I don't know who penned the Godzilla script, but it and the casting seemed like the biggest flaws of the film, out of reach of Edwards who had some nice ideas in putting Godzilla outside or obscured by the frame.

The script kept wedging human interest drama in a monster film where none belonged. Course it also focused on the wrong set of protagonists, headed by a dull jar head portrayed by a dull actor. The existence of Elizabeth Olson's character remains a mystery too.

Can't see those problems existing in Rogue One, seems like any genre pilfering would be more straightforward (heist, gangster, espionage etc.), and less prone to tinkering for the sake of test audiences

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I think he'll be guided, if not herded by Disney on the stuff you mention.
    As it's the first of the outlier films, they'll want it done right so that people will get on board for it and the others to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm excited about it largely because it's a return to the very familiar universe of A New Hope - and it will be exciting to see all the iconic visual elements that made it such a success return to the big screen.

I thought Gareth Evans when I saw Gareth Edwards as well! Now that really would have been interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Are they all not meant to be Bothans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Think it was the Bothans who stole the plans for the second Death Star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

300BD68F00000578-3394413-image-a-53_1452539106613.jpg

300C07FA00000578-3394413-image-a-55_1452539119242.jpg

300C0B3400000578-3394413-image-a-56_1452539121094.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Somebody recorded the Rogue one teaser trailer here

Yeah now I'm excited for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

This could be really great . there are so many directions Disney could go hopefully they don't completely over the top like marvel producing year after year of saturation

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It will be interesting to see what rating this film gets. Based on that trailer alone it may not be for young kids.

This could be really great . there are so many directions Disney could go hopefully they don't completely over the top like marvel producing year after year of saturation

Well they are until 2020. Given the success of TFA I doubt very much they will stop there, although I hope they wait a few years before going down the route of another trilogy.

There are so many potential anthology films they could do. Obviously we have Rogue One and the Han Solo film in 2018 and it looks like a Bobba Fett film in 2020, but I'd love to see a film about Palpatine in his younger days, maybe telling us how and why he turned to the dark side up to the point where he kills Plaguesis to become a Sith Master. That would be so dark and could be potentially brillant if done properly. The new trilogy will open up the possibility of further stand alone films too. There is amazing potential there for Disney. The $4bn they paid for Star Wars will be chicken feed by the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Will Rogue One be a feature length film ?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,834 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Will Rogue One be a feature length film ?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Teaser trailer attached to the super bowl perhaps??

Cool thing...Hayden interviews Lucas using fans questions
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7RN3t2v14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

bilston wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what rating this film gets. Based on that trailer alone it may not be for young kids.

??? A shot in a forest and a VO?

??? A shot in a forest and a VO?

The screams in the background make me think it could be quite dark. Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Disney have two missions here....first is to explain to joe public that these films arent part of the new trilogy and are supplementary to the star wars story...they wont do this successfully but they'll come close(how often do you get asked about which star wars to watch first and in what order? that.) and second is to get joe public and their kids engaged, hence Vaders appearance in this one.

Rumours are he features heavily. He'd have to, but even though we know what happens, and the plans get stolen, they cant render him impotent, so i'd say he's a central character in this and we're gonna see him kickin ass and them visualising the fear and reputation he has in the OT..so i think they'll go as far as they can with that, being Disney, who knows how far that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I think spin offs are a great Idea ,but I do think they could spin them off further away from the original stories. I think the Fett movie could be really cool because it will be away (hopefully ) from the original stories. Bringing Vadar back is money in the bank however there is a whole universe to explore with different time lines Disney could create something magic if they go off the beaten track a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Stupid teaser trailer, doing such a good job at teasing me.

Wow. Trailer description just landed.

Black screen. Lucasfilm logo. Vader breathing for a bit then he says 'Rebel scum' into action shots, including him slashing and leaping with lightsaber and shots of rebel X wings getting torn up and some ground troops and close off shot of a delivery(?) to the bare bones Death Star and voice saying ' we need a new hope'.

david75 wrote: »
    Wow. Trailer description just landed.

Black screen. Lucasfilm logo. Vader breathing for a bit then he says 'Rebel scum' into action shots, including him slashing and leaping with lightsaber and shots of rebel X wings getting torn up and some ground troops and close off shot of a delivery(?) to the bare bones Death Star and voice saying ' we need a new hope'.

I see what they did there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

NEED THIS TRAILER NOW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hopefully the Fett story will be good.

I remember when I was younger at the time of ESB, he was such a cool character, so mean and unafraid of Vader. Like a man with a great back story.

Howver, watching the old films again with my own child, I realised just how under utilised he was in the films. Lot of standing around, bit of walking, and not much else. Plus for such a great character to suffer such a tacky ending as a blind man spinning around and knocking him off a ship, like something out of a Charlie Chaplin film.

Advertisement