Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Tony EH wrote: »
    No one said it was "just words".
    He could have done. They're just words and words that could conceivably be said by someone.

Okaaaay then.
    Um...of the top of my head, 'Hancock' was a good script. But a pretty awful film. 'I am Legend' too, for that matter, which went from great book, to good script to rubbish film. Both starring another limited actor, strangely enough. :pac:

My apologies, probably a tad silly of me to ask you for examples as going by those two "great scripts" above, we differ wildly on our movie tastes....

Anyways, let's leave talk of the prequels to their own threads where I personally never have to venture and move back to discussing Rogue One.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

He could have done. They're just words and words that could conceivably be said by someone.

Again though. There's more to an acting performance than simply mouthing your lines.
    I however believe that the script is more than "just words".
    No one said it was "just words".
    Okaaaay then.

The "words" are the lines the actor is speaking. You're missing the point.
    Anyways, let's leave talk of the prequels to their own threads where I personally never have to venture and move back to discussing Rogue One.

Which you think is going to be shit.

The "words" are the lines the actor is speaking.

Which is called "the script" :(
    You're missing the point.

As I have only the weakest of grasps of what point you're now trying to make, this indeed maybe true. Let's leave it there shall we?
    Which you think is going to be shit.

Finally back on topic. Yes, based solely on this one trailer and the director's past works, I believe that at best, Rogue One will be a dissapointment that simply covers old ground, or at worst, a dull, soulless, overly sombre distraction until Episode VIII arrives, but again, I sincerly hope I'm wrong as I adore old school Sci Fi.

Which is called "the script" :(

No.

A script isn't JUST the actors lines.

No.

A script isn't JUST the actors lines.

I won't bring this thread around in circles any longer, I already stated two pages ago;
    I didn't for a moment say that was the case, I however believe that the script is more than "just words".

So... Rogue One... What's this film all about then ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

With a bit of editing and different music I think Anakin's journey into the dark side is pretty emotional:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

"I don't like sand, it's coarse and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here where everything is smooth"

It's the way he phoned it in. Like he was just reading out the lines.

It should have been more like:

"I... don't like sand! *laughs, due to the irony of the fact that he comes from Tattooine*... it's...coarse, and irritating...not like here... (looks around)... not like here (looks at Padme, reaches out and touches her arm gently)... where everything is... smooth"

OK, it's still pretty awful but if he had just put some emotion into the lines it would've been better. I really think a re-edit of the prequels would just show all those scenes of them in the meadow etc with music over them, no speech, like we get it - they're falling in love. We don't need dialogue to know that.

ANYWAY. Rogue One will be ace. I hope Vader isn't in it, or if he is, not that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

My thoughts on what might happen in Rogue One:

- I reckon Vader's role will be small and he won't be on screen until the end.
    - Ben Mendelsohn's character will be given the task of hunting down the mercenaries who stole the plans to the Death Star.
    - He will ultimately fail and die (since he isn't in A New Hope or Empire or Jedi).
    - At this point Vader will be put in charge to replace Mendelsohn as ordered by the Emperor.
    - 'Rogue One' as we currently know is Luke Skywalker's callsign in Empire Strikes Back, so I reckon the reasons for the film being called Rogue One relates to how Luke honours their achievement by creating Rogue Squadron and becoming Rogue One in their memory.
    - Boba Fett will be in this movie, most likely as a background character or a fleeting cameo.
    - We might see the Millenium Falcon.

Really looking forward to Rogue One though. Plenty of potential and it will be interesting to see a war film set in Star Wars! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Good spot.

Boba fetts ship was shown as one of the toys in this and some footage of it or one identical to it at some toy fair.

Also heavily rumoured to have Han Solo cameo in this with the new actor playing him in the Solo movie which it looks to be this guy. Wish they had chosen Taron Eggerton from Kingsman.
    http://makingstarwars.net/2016/04/alden-ehrenreich-to-play-han-solo/

Wish they wouldn't make a Han Solo film, full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It should have been more like:

"I... don't like sand! *laughs, due to the irony of the fact that he comes from Tattooine*... it's...coarse, and irritating...not like here... (looks around)... not like here (looks at Padme, reaches out and touches her arm gently)... where everything is... smooth"

Maybe it's the way you punctuated it but when I read it, it was in Shatner's voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Once Han Solo isn't Jack Reynor I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think these stand-alone movies could retrospectively fix some of the flaws in the prequels. Give me the Anakin/Obi Wan buddy movie that Ep II should have been so that I have a reason to give a **** about the events of Ep III.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I think these stand-alone movies could retrospectively fix some of the flaws in the prequels. Give me the Anakin/Obi Wan buddy movie that Ep II should have been so that I have a reason to give a **** about the events of Ep III.

Well, it definitely seems like Ewan McGregor will be getting his own movie, so hopefully that'll redeem him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

All this chat about McGregor getting his own movie is interesting but when could we expect it to be released? Rogue One is this year and the Han Solo movie is pencilled in for 2018 with Ep 8 and 9 in 2017 and 2019, I'm not sure if it is confirmed but there was talk of a Bobba Fett movie in 2020 so really we're talking 2020 or 2021 before this would be released. Would Disney and Ewan McGregor really be holding discussions this far out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

bilston wrote: »
    All this chat about McGregor getting his own movie is interesting but when could we expect it to be released? Rogue One is this year and the Han Solo movie is pencilled in for 2018 with Ep 8 and 9 in 2017 and 2019, I'm not sure if it is confirmed but there was talk of a Bobba Fett movie in 2020 so really we're talking 2020 or 2021 before this would be released. Would Disney and Ewan McGregor really be holding discussions this far out?

Sure.

- 6 months to find a writer and director, attach McGregor and decide on the overall direction of the film.
    - A year to write a script.
    - 6 months to write a new script and find a new director after the previous one is sacked/leaves over creative differences.
    - 6 months to shoot
    - 1 year in post-production, release date delays, etc.

That's 3-4 years right there. So if they are aiming for 2020 or 21 they would have had informal discussions with McGregor by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

An Obi Wan movie? Any source on this? While I'm not against the idea, i struggle to see what they'd do with it, or where it would be set. After III Obiwan went to hiding, and as far as we know, stayed there until Luke found him. And we all know what happened after that. So would it be a movie about him being in hiding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,372 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

As much as I like the idea of some of these backstories I think Id be happier if they did different stories with new characters, Rogue one makes sense as its a story thats mentioned in a new hope.

Agreed fully.

I really don't want a film about Han Solo without, you know, HAN SOLO and there was only one man for that part.

Likewise, we know that Kenobi largely arsed about on Tattooine keeping a close eye on Luke for 18 years, so Anakin couldn't get his hands on him. So, a film about Kenobi might be a bit stale or feel a bit "off". Although, I'm not as adverse to that as I am the fake "Han Solo" one.

Star Wars isn't James Bond. You can't just interchange main actors with these characters and expect things to run smoothly with fans. I think this "Han Solo" thing will be huge miss step for the Mouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You can't just interchange main actors with these characters and expect things to run smoothly with fans.

No-one but Alec Guinness can play Obiwan?

No-one but David Prowse can play Vader?

• Advertisement

Any tall guy can play a guy in a mask. But yeh there's only one voice for Vader.

As for Kenobi, McGregor did an ok job pretending to be Alec Guinness, but it never sat right. Especially as Guinness was in his late 50's when he played the role and McGregor was still only in his early 30's in episode III meaning that Kenobi aged weirdly. All of that felt really wrong.

But Guinness inhabited the role for half of Star Wars. Ford did it for 4 films. Replacing an old Alec Guinness with a young McGregor sufficed because of the considerable age gap. But that's going to be nigh on impossible to do with Ford.

Besides, Han Solo was only about 30 in Star Wars. Not that old and it'll be unconvincing to have a 20 something year old pretender to the throne running around with the same name.

It'll be "jarring" to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

I am looking forward to Rogue One, it seems interesting and it looks fantastic...

But I am unconvinced by these "anthology" movies, especially nostalgia trips for established (and now redundant) characters. I don't really want a Han Solo film, an Obi Wan film, a Boba Fett film etc. etc.

I much prefer the way they are treating the Marvel movies. A series of films independent but connected, advancing along the same timeline.

I would prefer Ep VII to be followed by, say a movie about Poe Dameron and his squadron, which would link into Ep VIII followed by maybe a Knights of Ren/New Republic movie etc.

Just my opinion and I'll watch anything Star Wars but I just prefer when a story moves forward, even slowly, than revisiting old stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm sure that they will do both. I'm absolutely certain that stuff happens in Rogue One which advances the story of the new sequels or gives them some more context.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I'm sure that they will do both. I'm absolutely certain that stuff happens in Rogue One which advances the story of the new sequels or gives them some more context.

I hope not, would rather it just did its own thing and I expect it,will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm pretty sure Disney ruled out a Marvel-esque crossover universe at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,774 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If comparing to the Marvel system, then Rogue one feels more like one of the adjacent television series like Agents of Shield or Daredevil.

I like the idea of these 'Star Wars stories' exploring the expanded universe, like movie adaptations of the old books, rather than telling us more about characters we already know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Rogue One visual effects crew reaction video... to a bunch of reaction videos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Reactions to reactions...where will it end :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Myrddin wrote: »
    Reactions to reactions...where will it end :D

It'll end at reactions to reactions to reactions, obviously.....

Please let it stop now, pleasepleaseplease

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Sarah Hogan

Really looking forward to this movie.

Advertisement