Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Minor Spoiler:
    So it looks like Mads Mikkelsen is playing Felicity Jones' father in the film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

david75 wrote: »

Nothing confirming it there. Still rumours / speculation.

Yeah they hired the guy who originally cast vaders helmet to make coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Think they will have a small Vader reveap next trailer to get people talking. There's still a lot of people I know who think it's the next main Star Wars sequel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Leak today of character names and some new ships from the visual dictionary:
    https://stormtrooperlarry.com/2016/05/17/massive-star-wars-rogue-one-leak/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Went to see Captain America Civil War today and there was a Trailer for Rogue One and it looked brilliant!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's just pick-ups. Every movie does them these days. Blockbusters have what, three times as many shots as they used to? Big sloppily edited action scenes shot by second and third units? They are going to miss stuff. TFA had them as well.

It's not testing well. Extensive reshoots ordered.

That's not just pick ups.

• Advertisement

Tbh I know Disney only have thee bottom line and shareholders really at heart but they shouldn't try emulate the success of force awakens not make this film like that. It is the flag ship of their stand alone films and the success of them will depend a lot on this but let it be its own thing I reckon.

By about 2020 /22 I reckon the world at large will be bored of annual Star Wars films but it's also rumoured there'll soon be 2 a year not just one at Christmas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    It's not testing well. Extensive reshoots ordered.

That's not just pick ups.

Only according to a tabloid rag. It wouldn't be the first time planned for pickups have been falsely twisted into "extensive reshoots".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I hope it isn't to add in some unneeded humour.

I really hope it isn't to add in some unneeded humour. :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, that article stinks of blatant attempts to stir up some imagined 'discontent', probably because Force Awakens was such a success; gossipmongers love nothing more than bringing a success story down a peg. Sure, there may yet be some truth in it, but as already mentioned re-shoots are normal.

Perhaps. But as pointed out, it's not "testing well". That could mean that elements within the test audience aren't taking to it for whatever reason.

Perhaps they were expecting 'The Force Awakens 2' and got something with an entirely different vibe.

Never underestimate the power of stupid in some audiences.

...or maybe it's just some clickbait bollocks. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,491 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Tony EH wrote: »
    Perhaps. But as pointed out, it's not "testing well". That could mean that elements within the test audience aren't taking to it for whatever reason.

Perhaps they were expecting 'The Force Awakens 2' and got something with an entirely different vibe.

Ockham's Razor for the internet age; a rumour, all things being equal, is probably clickbait boll*cks until proven otherwise. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

They don't test screen Star Wars films. They never have and never will.

Some more details here from a more reliable source

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-orders-reshoots-star-wars-898562

My initial reaction was disappointment the supposed reshoots were to add more 'levity into the story and restore a sense of fun': my personal hope for these spin off stories was that they explore other tones and perspectives of the cinematic Star Wars universe.

Thinking on it a little more though, it occurs that if they're describing this tested version as more of a 'war' movie, there's a chance that first cut is a humourless, miserable slog; something Zack Synder would be proud of. In which case, lightening the mood a little would be a pretty good idea all told.

I'd also prefer a darker movie, then again, if it is going to be "Star Wars" (and I use the quotes on purpose) it probably does need to have some fun elements to it. Especially if they want to join it up to ANH.

BTW, has Alden Ehrenreich been confirmed as Han Solo now? I didn't think it had been confirmed. Variety on saying "tapped" and "rumours": http://variety.com/2016/film/news/alden-ehrenreich-han-solo-spinoff-star-wars-1201754043/

(relevant to the thread as there was mention of him showing up in Rogue One).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

doubledown wrote: »
    They don't test screen Star Wars films. They never have and never will.

Some more details here from a more reliable source

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disney-orders-reshoots-star-wars-898562

They do test internally, which can include family as well. Devin Faraci is reporting issues as well and his track record as regard sources has been pretty much spot on with these movies so far.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/31/rogue-one-goes-in-for-reshoots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

They do test internally, which can include family as well. Devin Faraci is reporting issues as well and his track record as regard sources has been pretty much spot on with these movies so far.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/31/rogue-one-goes-in-for-reshoots

Yes, of course. I meant that they don't do traditional test screenings with a cross-section of your average audience in the mid-west and have them fill out scorecards and the like.

It would seem that there is no smoke without fire and this film may require a bit of work to get it where they want it, which is fine. I hope it's good, I really do. But these spin-offs don't concern me much. It's the episodes I want them to get right. And I don't have much faith in Edwards as a director after the soulless, joyless dud that was Godzilla. We'll find out in December I guess.

pixelburp wrote: »
    My initial reaction was disappointment the supposed reshoots were to add more 'levity into the story and restore a sense of fun': my personal hope for these spin off stories was that they explore other tones and perspectives of the cinematic Star Wars universe.

Thinking on it a little more though, it occurs that if they're describing this tested version as more of a 'war' movie, there's a chance that first cut is a humourless, miserable slog; something Zack Synder would be proud of. In which case, lightening the mood a little would be a pretty good idea all told.

No, it won't. It never does. All it achieves is adding something stupid into a scene that, more often than not, doesn't need it and destroying the atmosphere.

It isn't "lightening the mood" generally, it just ends up being dumb and ruining the tension that was established when writing the scene in the first place.

Far, far too often film makers wreck a nicely built up scenario by trying to shoehorn some "humour" (often woefully unfunny "humour") into a film that absolutely doesn't need it. By and large, it takes everything that's been at stake throughout the movie and says don't worry, everything's grand, laugh at this dumbass "joke" that the studio execs told us we had to include.

I'd also prefer a darker movie, then again, if it is going to be "Star Wars" (and I use the quotes on purpose) it probably does need to have some fun elements to it.

Why?

Why?

Cos all the other "Star Wars" movies have fun elements in them. I'm not saying it, they are.

Depends what one calls "fun".

Seeing a Star Destroyer chase down a rebel ship in the opening minutes of 'Star Wars' was fun.

Watching John Boyega in 'The Force Awakens' whooping and hollering like an idiot, while blowing up people who were his mates just seconds before is stupid.

Depends what one calls "fun".

Seeing a Star Destroyer chase down a rebel ship in the opening minutes of 'Star Wars' was fun.

Watching John Boyega in 'The Force Awakens' whooping and hollering like an idiot, while blowing up people who were his mates just seconds before is stupid.

Well everyone has a different definition of fun. And what they expect from a SW movie. I thought the initial Rey / Finn interaction was great fun, I sort of didn't want to see any of the old cast yet, I was enjoying it.

Fun could be action fun, or dialogue fun, or more physical, or a pure comic moment. I think a SW movie should have these things. We don't want Rogue One to turn into Batman Begins now, do we? :)

Why not?

Why not be serious about a relatively serious subject. We're pretty much talking about a suicide mission to nick the plans for a planet destroying vehicle. Sure, you can have the odd quip here and there, but if you have buffoonish characters littering the show cracking unfunny, forced, jokes in an attempt to add some "levity", the tension breaks down and the comic relief ends up being annoying. Sometimes no levity is actually needed.

That kind of stuff is very hard to do. It has to flow naturally. When it's forced, it never works.

Why not?

Why not be serious about a relatively serious subject. We're pretty much talking about a suicide mission to nick the plans for a planet destroying vehicle. Sure, you can have the odd quip here and there, but if you have buffoonish characters littering the show cracking unfunny, forced, jokes in an attempt to add some "levity", the tension breaks down and the comic relief ends up being annoying. Sometimes no levity is actually needed.

That kind of stuff is very hard to do. It has to flow naturally. When it's forced, it never works.

And are you saying TFA was forced? I found some of the Han Solo stuff to be forced, but I thought the Finn / Poe / Rey stuff to be quite flowing.

No, some of 'The Force Awakens' "humour" was just badly written, although their are some very funny moments, BB-8's thumbs up and the Stormtrooper noping out when they hear Kylo going off on one. However, a lot of Finn's character stuff was crap, especially considering he was supposed to be serving with a strict military force for almost his entire life. He didn't work for me in a lot of ways. Too much comic relief and not enough oomph for my liking for that guy.

Definitely some of the Han Solo stuff was off kilter too, but his interaction with Chewbacca worked very well.

But, the film as a whole could have done without a lot of the humour that was shoved in, frankly. That whole Rathtar sequence could have been cut and nothing would have changed.

My issue is that too many films these days have jokes inserted that just don't work and are written by someone who just isn't funny, or else they have characters that are clones of the smartarses that populate Joss Whedon's scripts.

I'd rather have a film that makes me feel tense than relieved comically.

• Advertisement

Definitely some of the Han Solo stuff was off kilter too, but his interaction with Chewbacca worked very well.

This for me was the worst part. They really wanted it to be "classic Han and Chewie" but I found it to be very forced.

Yes Finn's character was not what we expected from a Stormtrooper. But then again, what do we know about "off duty" Stormtroopers? Nothing. Do they get to kick back in the canteen and drink a beer or have lunch or play games?

Remember in ANH, when the two Stormtroopers were chatting away while Obi-wan was disabling the tractor beam? Maybe they are normal guys. The non-clone ones anyway. ;)

Perhaps it was perfectly logical for Finn to be like that. They aren't robots, or automatons. They are trained in combat, sure. But perhaps his wide eyed innocence comes from that fact that he's never been away from the First Order, so everything he's seeing and experiencing is brand new. You know, like a child would be. :)

Advertisement