Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

But The Hollywood Reporter, citing anonymous sources, reported in May that Disney had demanded reshoots for Rogue One to lighten the mood and "restore a sense of fun to the adventure".

:rolleyes:

Oh dear. Stupid "jokes" ahoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tony EH wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Oh dear. Stupid "jokes" ahoy!

I had the same thought, but hopefully it's not the case. Apparently its too dark or something, which would have been a really interesting break from the established saga...which is a shame as these expanded stories do provide a fantastic platform for some experimentation. However, there's also the chance it was so gloomy that it was a misery fest. Star Wars should also be uplifting too, so who knows. Fingers crossed they haven't taken something like Saving Private Ryan & turned it into Dead Snow :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Based on Edwards's previous films I'd imagine the problem is that it's too dull and humourless rather than too dark. Darkness and humour are not mutually exclusive. Empire is the darkest and funniest of the original trilogy and probably all of the films prior to TFA. Kershner was repeatedly telling the actors to "say something funny". And you know what his biggest criticism of TPM was? Not enough humour.

They added jokes and whole action sequences to TFA during reshoots as well. Abrams just did a better job of keeping it secret.

oops wrong thread !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Rumour is Vader will be in this and will be shown to be more bad ass than we've seen him in the other films, so much so that it's thought he'll have to be toned down.
    Source? If Vader was in this, I think we'd know about it now. I can't see him being in this movie and there being no tie in - after all, Vader sells a lot of toys. A LOT.

If they're going to do a Vader movie, they'd go all out and make it a VADER movie, but somehow I don't think we're going to see one. I reckon Vader's story has been told.

Yes! My early mention of rumours of Vader being in the film have paid off given it was met with others doubting it.

But isn't Vader in the trailer ? there is a robed figure going into a room with some Royal guards - looks like Vader to me.

Getting excited about this film now, it could be great.

Myrddin wrote: »
    I had the same thought, but hopefully it's not the case. Apparently its too dark or something, which would have been a really interesting break from the established saga...which is a shame as these expanded stories do provide a fantastic platform for some experimentation. However, there's also the chance it was so gloomy that it was a misery fest. Star Wars should also be uplifting too, so who knows. Fingers crossed they haven't taken something like Saving Private Ryan & turned it into Dead Snow :o

Apparently it's been handled like a war film, which would have been great IMHO. Sounds like one too. A kind of 'Dirty Dozen' in space from what I can gather.

SPR -> Dead Snow = Great analogy. :pac:

Based on Edwards's previous films I'd imagine the problem is that it's too dull and humourless rather than too dark. Darkness and humour are not mutually exclusive. Empire is the darkest and funniest of the original trilogy and probably all of the films prior to TFA. Kershner was repeatedly telling the actors to "say something funny". And you know what his biggest criticism of TPM was? Not enough humour.

They added jokes and whole action sequences to TFA during reshoots as well. Abrams just did a better job of keeping it secret.

'The Empire Strikes Back' was funny? I don't remember too much funny, I have to say.

'Return of the Jedi' was probably the lightest of the originals and suffered all the more for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

'The Empire Strikes Back' was funny? I don't remember too much funny, I have to say.

'Return of the Jedi' was probably the lightest of the originals and suffered all the more for it.

There was plenty of humour in 'Empire'; whether it was the first scene with Yoda, anything involving Yoda & R2-D2, or even the continual snark & banter between the Falcon crew. Heck, there were even prime pieces of slapstick: Han getting whacked by his toolkit for instance.

The film never telegraphed the humour, but it was there & deeply engrained in the drama.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Empire is very funny. It's a dark film but not an especially serious film. It's a lot of fun to watch with none of the po-faced character interactions that plagued Jedi and the prequels, which are pretty humourless for the most part.

I wouldn't consider it to be the funniest, but to each his own I guess.

There's little moments, but nothing like 'The Force Awakens' goofery or even Jedi.

Hopefully the suits don't null the tension too much in 'Rogue One'. If it's a couple of cobbled together, reshot, addon scenes, I can Premiere them out.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

LOLin at the guy who said it doesn't say Vader is back.

James earl Jones is. To voice a stormtrooper no doubt *eyeroll*

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/james-earl-jones-returns-as-darth-vader-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My understanding is that rogue one is about the stealing of the plans for the death star and it would make sense if it is to have vader in it as, in episode 4 he's chasing the plans. That said not sure how I feel about him being in a film at all they could easily make sh1t of his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

salmocab wrote: »
    they could easily make sh1t of his character.

You are 17 years too late to worry about that possibility.

Vader in the era of Star Wars, later Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope is super simple.

He's bad. He wears a black hat. He kills people.

Nothing more is required - no character arc, no journey, nothing. We know he will survive, we know he will not recapture the plans, we know many Bothans will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Vader will be grand so long as he doesn't have to go near sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Goldstein wrote: »
    Anakin wrote:
    "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

I would pay good money to hear James Earl Jones utter those immortal words!:pac::D:P

Goldstein wrote: »

This, of course, is why Vader did not go after the escape pod himself in Episode IV, retrieving R2D2 and the plans personally and ending the movie early. Instead left it to his useless underlings while he brought Leia to the Death Star for questioning.

Sand is the key to all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

*in deep JEJ voice* "I WISH I COULD WISH MY FEELINGS AWAY"

Vader in this is a bit of a disappointment for me. I'd rather he wasn't in it, or just mentioned like a shadowy threat...a 'phantom menace' if you will. :) They should just push forward with the new characters and tell the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Vader in this is a bit of a disappointment for me. I'd rather he wasn't in it, or just mentioned like a shadowy threat...a 'phantom menace' if you will. :) They should just push forward with the new characters and tell the story.

It's called a fan **** and you can expect many in the upcoming Disney Star Wars films

• Advertisement

Ooooh, I see what you did there.

Anyway, I think Vader will just be a cameo in this. If Disney are smart.

However, I would really like to have seen a Vader film, set before this one? But with 'Rogue One' out, I don't think that will happen. Plus, a film focusing on Vader's subjugation of planets and races in the 20 years between Revenge of the crap and Star Wars would probably be too "serious" for Disney suits and they'd demand to lighten it up with some goofball clowns and jokes.

It's called a fan **** and you can expect many in the upcoming Disney Star Wars films

Agreed. But I actually don't mind that Vader is in this. It makes sense. He was charged with being the Emperor's envoy to oversee construction.

The Han Solo film...now there's fan ****. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Agreed. But I actually don't mind that Vader is in this. It makes sense. He was charged with being the Emperor's envoy to oversee construction.

The Han Solo film...now there's fan ****. :rolleyes:

Two words: Boba Fett.

Oh jesus...that too.

:(

Poor old Boba isn't what he used to be anyway. When George made him a Kiwi, he effectively destroyed him.

God...those bloody sequels...Has there ever been a series films to undo so much good as those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You are 17 years too late to worry about that possibility.

Ah but I have rather cleverly decided that Anakin and Vader are in no way the same character so he has only been in 3 movies as far as Im concerned, in fact there only have been 3 movies.

Were getting a full trailer for rogue one next week on the 15th on the ABC network. Reported to be three minutes long. I'm not buying that but we'll see.

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/07/new-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-trailer-to-air-july-15th-on-abc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Two words: Boba Fett.

A bit like the way Cheers so succesfully spun off Fraiser, it's something that works with minor characters that are interesting and who you have a lot of lattitude to play with in a way that never works with the major characters *cough*Joey*cough*.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Walter E GO

Three minute long trailer airing on the 15th.

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    Three minute long trailer airing on the 15th.

Nearly time to unfollow the thread, so...

Advertisement