Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

carlo5 wrote: »
    Of course they had to use the most famous character somewhere in the new series. And then sell new Vader figures :P

Who cares we are going to get some Vader action!

Also the timelines of the movie and given the subject of the film (stealing the plans for the Death Star) it makes perfect sense to have him in it!

I'd love to see a movie of him hunting down the Jedi after ROTS.

There are so many potential stand alone movies they could do and with the new trilogy there will be many more potential films in another 3 or 4 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If the house of mouse make enough money from 'Rogue One' and 'Han Solo', prepare for a ton of these standalone's. Disney will try and milk everything from the Star Wars teat, before people get sick to death of it.

'Greedo: The Early Years - A Star Wars story' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Tony EH wrote: »
    Disney will try and milk everything from the Star Wars teat, before people get sick to death of it.

REBOOT! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

If the house of mouse make enough money from 'Rogue One' and 'Han Solo', prepare for a ton of these standalone's. Disney will try and milk everything from the Star Wars teat, before people get sick to death of it.

I'd say you've started a new thread naming potential other standalone movies:

Tarkin and Vader's day off - Tarkin 'borrows' the Emperors Porshe and sets off with best buddy Darth for the day.

Forcebusters: Whosa you gonna calla ? - unemployed Jar Jar Binks sets up an agency to eliminate those pesky Force ghosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

God, just the very thought actually invoked a physical shudder of revulsion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Why not a "Birth of the Jedi" movie? Going back a LONG time ago. No one really knows where they came from. Do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Why not a "Birth of the Jedi" movie? Going back a LONG time ago. No one really knows where they came from. Do they?

Maybe set it in a galaxy FAR, FAR away?? :p

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Maybe set it in a galaxy FAR, FAR away?? :p

It would have to be far far FAR AWAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It would have to be far far FAR AWAY!

This one is near, that one is far far away.

I hope not.

TBH, the Jedi are one of the worst things about Star Wars. It arguably became much, much worse when Lucas pushed them to the fore in the prequels.

Star Wars works much better when they're something that's from an "hokey religion" that used "ancient weapons".

To much Jedi supermen does more to wreck Star Wars than anything else. Well, maybe crap attempts at humour that fall flat on their face is worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

david75 wrote: »
    This is great. Podcast documentary about the production and reshoots of Empire. Loads of stuff in here I didn't know. Including dialogue I'd never head :)

Han (to Leia) : you look nice. You should wear girls clothes more often.

https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/forcecenter/id1050464506?mt=2#episodeGuid=http%3A%2F%2Fforcecenterpod.podomatic.com%2Fentry%2F2016-07-21T06_00_00-07_00

Is it the second most recent one this is in? Sorry I don't use iTunes (android). I'd like to hear that episode before going through all the rest.

I hope not.

TBH, the Jedi are one of the worst things about Star Wars. It arguably became much, much worse when Lucas pushed them to the fore in the prequels.

Star Wars works much better when they're something that's from an "hokey religion" that used "ancient weapons".

To much Jedi supermen does more to wreck Star Wars than anything else. Well, maybe crap attempts at humour that fall flat on their face is worse.

It wasn't the fault of the Jedi, it was the fault of the prequels. Positioning the Jedi as something more like priests crossed with ninjas, all hooded and mysterious, would've been great. Instead we got the council and all that nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I hope not.

Wut? The Jedi are awesome.

A 'birth of the Jedi' film would be horrible though. Somethings should be left a mystery.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Wut? The Jedi are awesome.

Except they're not though.

They're a bunch of semi-mystical, waffley, overpowered, supermen that are a template for anything that's desired, with some of the most dubious hippie "logic" I've seen in any film ever.

They're actually pretty terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Im very meh about more jedi stuff but there is so much that could be done in the star wars universe that doesn't include the jedi or the bloody skywalker family. I like the idea of the stealing of the death star plans for rogue one and Id like to see more stories related to the rebellion.

That's the aspect of Star Wars that's always interested me the most. Ya know, the actual war in the Star Wars. It's part of the reason that the original films were and always will be far, far superior to those wretched prequels. Although it's certainly not the only reason.

There are tons of stories that can be told that could take advantage of that "war" angle, but instead we keep getting guff about jedi's and other rubbish.

Personally, I am more looking forward to the likes of 'Rogue One' than the current trilogy, which has already gone down the ex machina route to get their heroine out of tight spots and I've no doubt that it'll just get worse as the trilogy continues.

Even the standalone Han Solo film is more appealing at the moment and that's borderline heresy to likes of me. Hopefully that abandons the jedi completely, or else Solo's scathing putdown in 'Star Wars' about "hokey religions" is going to look stupid.

The jedi are always at their best when they're the "weirdos" in the galaxy. Old style warrior monks that wield strange (and what should be limited) powers, that are largely background characters, the Skywalker family excluded of course.

When they're put front and centre, with their boring and (yes Han, your right) hokey, pseudo, philosophy they bring the whole Star Wars saga down several notches. Childish crap about light and dark sides is ok for two year old's, but it quickly grows annoying to anyone over the age of five.

Lucas had the right idea with his original conception about a young man learning about a dead religion and studying its ways, but who was part of a bigger universe. But, he completely lost the run of himself with the prequels when he tried to expand on that religion, with utterly dreadful nonsense like miracle births, prophecies, balance and all that other rubbish.

Because, just like real religions, the jedi fall apart under the slightest scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

That's the aspect of Star Wars that's always interested me the most. Ya know, the actual war in the Star Wars. It's part of the reason that the original films were and always will be far, far superior to those wretched prequels. Although it's certainly not the only reason.

There are tons of stories that can be told that could take advantage of that "war" angle, but instead we keep getting guff about jedi's and other rubbish.

Personally, I am more looking forward to the likes of 'Rogue One' than the current trilogy, which has already gone down the ex machina route to get their heroine out of tight spots and I've no doubt that it'll just get worse as the trilogy continues.

Even the standalone Han Solo film is more appealing at the moment and that's borderline heresy to likes of me. Hopefully that abandons the jedi completely, or else Solo's scathing putdown in 'Star Wars' about "hokey religions" is going to look stupid.

The jedi are always at their best when they're the "weirdos" in the galaxy. Old style warrior monks that wield strange (and what should be limited) powers, that are largely background characters, the Skywalker family excluded of course.

When they're put front and centre, with their boring and (yes Han, your right) hokey, pseudo, philosophy they bring the whole Star Wars saga down several notches. Childish crap about light and dark sides is ok for two year old's, but it quickly grows annoying to anyone over the age of five.

Lucas had the right idea with his original conception about a young man learning about a dead religion and studying its ways, but who was part of a bigger universe. But, he completely lost the run of himself with the prequels when he tried to expand on that religion, with utterly dreadful nonsense like miracle births, prophecies, balance and all that other rubbish.

Because, just like real religions, the jedi fall apart under the slightest scrutiny.

I know from having read many of your posts that the prequels are something that you hate from the bottom of your heart. And I understand that, I really do. I too wish they had never existed (or at least I wish they had been done properly). But I think you need to get over it, or try and put it to one side.

The concept of the Jedi and the Force is integral to Star Wars. It always will be. I think it's great that we're getting films that move away from the Jedi story and they could potentially be the best films in the whole series. But statements like the 'childish crap of the light side and dark side' seems completely at odds with what helped bring Star Wars to where it is today.

You must learn to let go of the prequels. Clouded your judgement, they have!

I can assure you, I'm well over them. :D I don't even consider them as part of Star Wars any more. Star Wars begins, for me, with 'Star Wars' (1977). Maybe 'Rogue One, if it's any good. ;)

However, they still remain of use when pointing out things that can be done wrong in a franchise that you would have to actually go out of your way to screw things up in. I, too, wish they were done properly. They could have been great. There's actually a good story there to be told.

Of course the Jedi and the Force are "integral" to Star Wars. But it works better when they are in the background or at least not so much to the fore. Like a lot of things in Star Wars actually.

There's so much to do and so many stories to tell.

BTW, the "childish crap" would be things like the bad guys calling themselves Darth Sidious or General Griveous...FFS. Or things like "dark" and "light" sides of the Force and all that noise. Especially when they refer to themselves as either shade. :pac: It's just always a bit of a let down. Frankly it sounds better as Jedi and Sith.

As someone who's loved Star Wars since I was four, it's impossible not to have any criticism of its more stupider elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I decided to watch all 7 star wars movies again starting with TPM yesterday...feck it gets worse the more I watch it. I'm trying to think of a positive from it and I suppose the duel between Qui Gonn, Obi Wan and Darth Maul is pretty good and the Duel of the Fates soundtrack is good. Other than that it is terrible terrible terrible. It wasn't even a necessary movie. The only important part was the discovery of Anakin which could have been the start of AOTC before fast forwarding 20 years.

Lucas should have started the prequels with AOTC, then done ROTS and finallu have a film about Vader wipinh out the Jedi and Luke and Leia growing up on Tatooine and Alderaan respectively. Although he would probably have done it badly so maybe it was better he didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

bilston wrote: »
    I decided to watch all 7 star wars movies again starting with TPM yesterday...feck it gets worse the more I watch it. I'm trying to think of a positive from it and I suppose the duel between Qui Gonn, Obi Wan and Darth Maul is pretty good and the Duel of the Fates soundtrack is good. Other than that it is terrible terrible terrible. It wasn't even a necessary movie. The only important part was the discovery of Anakin which could have been the start of AOTC before fast forwarding 20 years.

Lucas should have started the prequels with AOTC, then done ROTS and finallu have a film about Vader wipinh out the Jedi and Luke and Leia growing up on Tatooine and Alderaan respectively. Although he would probably have done it badly so maybe it was better he didn't.

Thing is, we have the benefit of hindsight on our side now to see what the Star Wars prequels have become. But back when they first came out, Lucas couldn't have known what people would think of Phantom Menace or the other prequels for that matter. So I give Lucas the benefit of the doubt for trying to create a prequel that tells the story of Anakin Skywalker and how he became Darth Vader, and that includes PM. I still think it's the weakest of the franchise but i've accepted it for what it is. The Lightsaber duel between Qui Gonn, Obi Wan, and Darth Maul was the saving grace of that film.

• Advertisement

I still like TPM and think it's the best prequel. Why? No Hayden Christensen. Liam Neeson. Darth Maul and duel of the fates. Obi-wan not looking ridiculous. Shot on film and not digital. Naboo looks great. The queen's clothes. The underwater sequence (very Empire). Tattooine. Non-cgi Yoda (though it didn't look much like the original Yoda). No Hayden Christensen. Pod race.

No Hayden Christensen.

But what about Hayden Christensen?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I'd really like to see Hayden in 8. Let him have a chance to redeem himself. Johnson is an actors director. Imagine getting to see force ghost Anakin talking to Kylo. Or Luke!?! That would be so awesome to see.

It is probably more likely than obi wan force ghost which were pretty sure isn't happening. The Jedi temple set built here was built 5 feet off the ground as was the dagobah set so rumours abound we will see force ghost yoda.

But I'd definitely be up for seeing Hayden as Anakin again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Very little new footage

but still (for me) Very much more HYPE! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

That same alarm sound effect was in the trailers for Prometheus as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I still like TPM and think it's the best prequel. Why? No Hayden Christensen. Liam Neeson. Darth Maul and duel of the fates. Obi-wan not looking ridiculous. Shot on film and not digital. Naboo looks great. The queen's clothes. The underwater sequence (very Empire). Tattooine. Non-cgi Yoda (though it didn't look much like the original Yoda). No Hayden Christensen. Pod race.

No Hayden Christensen.

I like TPM too. It's a solid 6/10 kids movie and by far the best of the three Prequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think TPM gets a harder time then it possibly deserves due to the hype and expectations that followed it.

Equally Revenge of the Sith probably gets more love then it deserves as most people walked into it at rock bottom and was surprised to see a 2.5/5 film.

I would love it if the preq5were just deemed non-canon and someone else remake them but as mentioned above start the whole thing as Anakin is in his 20's (never happen in fairness)

I have allot of hope for this film and even a single scene of this rumored R-Rated Vader scene of hacking off heads etc would be a big step in making up for those films.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

People saying TPM wasn't needed should listen to Lucas talk about the prequels..

He cleared up exactly what they were about. The entire 6 movies were about the one family. Lucas Star Wars was all about the skywalkers. That's how he made them and that was the story he wanted to tell.

I would say they are very comparable with the hobbit in that the prequels didn't meet expectations and disappointed in many ways. One big problem was the time lag whereby technology changed so much that the prequels were pretty much unrecognisable in comparison to the older ones.

Another was that it wasn't an overly interesting story and we knew where it would end up. I felt that Palpatines rise was the best part of the prequels and that he stole the show in ROTS. Seriously he was superb in that.

I've watched the prequels plenty of times and don't have the same hate as others. I love the universe created and whatever anybody says, Lucas started something wonderful and should be lauded for creating such an amazingly enjoyable franchise. People who get hung up on the prequels need to just Let that go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

ziedth wrote: »
    I think TPM gets a harder time then it possibly deserves due to the hype and expectations that followed it.

Equally Revenge of the Sith probably gets more love then it deserves as most people walked into it at rock bottom and was surprised to see a 2.5/5 film.

I'd probably agree with tht to be fair, though when watching all 6 (OT & PT) in the run up to TFA opening last year I was surprised at how bad Attack of the Clones was. I hadn't remembered it being 'that' bad but rewatching it after a gap of a few years was an eye opening experience. Its by far the worst of all 7 in the series to date.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Advertisement