Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Attack of the clones is the worst of the prequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree, TPM probably has the most offensive standalone elements of all three but on later viewings I've actually found it to be a fairly good film in it's own right - shot on film, reasonably strong characters, some excellent fight scenes and an amazing score.

ROTS is an effects driven rodeo ride and even though it's a shameful end to the prequel trilogy and the worst realized bridge between III and IV imaginable, it's still very easy to watch due to the scale of the whole affair.

AOTC sort of falls in between....just unbearably cheesy and cringy in the same vein as the films that flank it, but without any overly memorable set pieces or stand out moments to redeem itself. It should have been an intense transition piece to line up a powerful EpIII, but it was just utter lifeless, unconvincing b-grade nonsense from start to finish.

I used to think that TPM was Lucas' greatest crime, but on repeat viewings - at least six by this point - TPM has earned back a good deal of my respect, it wasn't the movie fans deserved or wanted but it tried and it hit some high notes along the way. AOTC however is the exact opposite, having seen it twice I don' think I could sit through it again.

In fact I think TPM is my favorite of the prequels - maybe partially because every time I watch it I realise that it's not quite as fatally bad as is often made out, and if the following sequels had learnt lessons from it's reception and delivered a solid II and III, time would probably have been a little kinder to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I can't see how anyone would think AOTC is better than TPM.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

DvB wrote: »
    I'd probably agree with tht to be fair, though when watching all 6 (OT & PT) in the run up to TFA opening last year I was surprised at how bad Attack of the Clones was. I hadn't remembered it being 'that' bad but rewatching it after a gap of a few years was an eye opening experience. Its by far the worst of all 7 in the series to date.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I remember coming out of 'The Phantom Menace' thinking that was a weird experience. It was like a ripoff Star Wars film. The kind they used to make in the 80's. But, I said to myself, it can simply serve as a weak entry in the series and boy was it weak. Every sin of the Ewoks was forgiven. When stacked up against medicholrians, miracle births, that stupid pod race with a kid, the commentators, the Gungans, Anakin amking C3PO, those ineffectual battle droids, a kid flying a spaceship, Binks and much, much more, the "teddy bears that could" didn't seem that bad after that.

Still, I thought it might get better on a subsequent viewing and that the next two films would set the balance right again. It didn't.

Then I saw the title of the next film, and I kid you not, my mates and I fell about the place laughing. It sounded like some terrible B Movie from the 50's. 'Attack of the Clones' ? Good god. Still I thought, it's just a title and we'll get to see the Clone Wars that Kenobi mentioned in 'Star Wars'. Except we didn't. What we got was some of the most inept storytelling I have ever seen in a major motion picture, coupled with some of the most awful acting (some of which came from good actors!). We get to see yet some more characters from the real Star Wars shoehorned into this abomination, just so there could be some sort of tie in. Did we really need Boba Fett in there? Plus his old man is the face of the entire Clone Army? FFS. The Clone Army was just a bunch of Kiwis. That was the least of its sins though. The entire film was a complete mess from beginning to end, with a love story that was so central to the entire trilogy that never convinced anyone for a single second.

I've never understood why some people consider it an improvement over 'The Phantom Menace' though. That really does boggle the mind. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

• Advertisement

Jimmy Smits confirms cameo in Rogue One A Star Wars Story - http://bit.ly/2b2l6K4 -

So we're finally getting a proper trailer for this on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Almost there....almost there

Q55EE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

What time does the trailer "drop"?

here it is :) wait til the very very end :)

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/763927709521018880

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Looks excellent,Love the tone.
    It's got a kinda grimy look about it,will definitely be more darker than any of the previous films.........i hope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Looks excellent,Love the tone.
    It's got a kinda grimy look about it,will definitely be more darker than any of the previous films.........i hope

Is that a new hope? :D

Looks great! I think Force Awakens stirred excitement through nostalgia, but I think the interest in this stems from a genuine excitement of a movie that looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Can all movies please stop having characters predict the percentage chance of failure.
    We get it, insurmountable odds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Film continues to look intriguing, but man that soundtrack is basically the most generic modern trailer music I've ever heard! Twinkly remix of classic theme and roaring Inception horn present and correct :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I was a bit ambivilant about the first trailer but this one hits my sweet spot. After TFA I'm getting a bit of 'Deathstar mcguffin' fatigue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I thought that looked OK, was not blown away by it by any stretch. The tone is darker than any previous SW film and some of the visuals look great, I did love the final reveal at the close of the the trailer. I am fingers crossed this will be on par of better than TFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yeh, it's pretty straightforward trailer fare. Most trailers are the same these days anyway. Hollywood won't break formula.

Still the film shines through. I personally can't wait.

One thing though. I REALLY hope that Asian guy with the cataracts isn't some sort of blind Jedi superman. That'll suck absolute balls.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, it's pretty straightforward trailer fare. Most trailers are the same these days anyway. Hollywood won't break formula.

Still the film shines through. I personally can't wait.

One thing though. I REALLY hope that Asian guy with the cataracts isn't some sort of blind Jedi superman. That'll suck absolute balls.

Don't think he's a Jedi, but since they cast Donny Yen in the role you can expect him to single handedly kick the crap out of a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Film continues to look intriguing, but man that soundtrack is basically the most generic modern trailer music I've ever heard! Twinkly remix of classic theme and roaring Inception horn present and correct :pac:

I thought it was amazing when the re-orchestrated version kicked in around half way through.

I wonder if this trailer is in cinemas today? I'd pay to see suicde squad just to see it on the big screen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Can all movies please stop having characters predict the percentage chance of failure.
    We get it, insurmountable odds.

Never tell me the odds!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Not a lightsaber in sight!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Good trailer. It has me far more interested than the last one. Some lovely shots establishing scale.

Lots of speculation online seems that it'll end with Vader murdering the entire cast without breaking a sweat, reestablishing one of cinema's great villains after the prequels emascualted him. I think there's a lot of wild optimisim in that, but it does seem like a plausible direction for it to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Looks superb and like how I felt about TFA trailers, this is gonna nail it. .

My children (2 boys 7+5) loved the trailer and were pleading that we goto it when its released... That's the thing when you have kids, there is an extra dimension to these kinds of films that people without children just don't get. There are few movies that get me and my children excited, so for that alone the trailer is awesome!

For me, this is a guaranteed quality movie on different levels. My own childish excitement to see how they actually got the plans to the deathstar, how it all ties in with A New Hope, new characters and how my children react in the cinema...

Not trying to wish my life away but roll on December!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭ShakerMaker91

Loved the new trailer can't wait for it now shame it's not out until December!

I'm as excited as anyone but let's temper expectations. Remember that the first trailer for phantom menace was one of the greatest trailers ever seen. Still look at it sometimes wondering why didn't we get that movie? This did Look amazing, every single shot, but the dialogue was completely clunky. Again it's just a trailer but still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Wow!!!
    Some great visuals in that trailer ! the Death Star eclipse !!!! :eek::eek: and of course Vader!

This could be better than TFA!!

can't wait..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

I am doing my best to avoid spoilers for this but I just watched the new trailer and OH MY GOD HK-47...

Sorry, I just had a nerdgasm.

Anyway, this look bloody fantastic. My hype levels are soaring...

Advertisement