Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Synopsis of the book Catalyst which is coming and set in the run up to R1
    War is tearing the galaxy apart. For years the Republic and the Separatists have battled across the stars, each building more and more deadly technology in an attempt to win the war. As a member of Chancellor Palpatine’s top secret Death Star project, Orson Krennic is determined to develop a superweapon before their enemies can. And an old friend of Krennic’s, the brilliant scientist Galen Erso, could be the key.
    Galen’s energy-focused research has captured the attention of both Krennic and his foes, making the scientist a crucial pawn in the galactic conflict. But after Krennic rescues Galen, his wife, Lyra, and their young daughter, Jyn, from Separatist kidnappers, the Erso family is deeply in Krennic’s debt. Krennic then offers Galen an extraordinary opportunity: to continue his scientific studies with every resource put utterly at his disposal. While Galen and Lyra believe that his energy research will be used purely in altruistic ways, Krennic has other plans that will finally make the Death Star a reality. Trapped in their benefactor’s tightening grasp, the Ersos must untangle Krennic’s web of deception to save themselves and the galaxy itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

Michael Giacchino taking over scoring duties from Alexandre Desplat

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/76248

Personally I'm delighted about this news. He has been one of my favourite composers since I first heard his score for Medal of Honor back in 1999. Even then I felt like he was a natural successor to Williams. I'm confident that even if the film doesn't turn out great the score will be worth listening to.

His scores for Medal of Honor, Medal of Honor Underground and Medal of Honor Frontline are incredible and I still listen to them to this day. His music for The Lost World video game is a lot of fun too.

Rogue one has a new composer for the score ... Michael Giacchino scored the new Star Trek films(the main theme of which is wonderful I think) and is heir apparent to john Williams apparently. But how is he going to write and record an entire score with only a couple of months to go??

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/09/michael-giacchino-to-compose-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

david75 wrote: »
    Rogue one has a new composer for the score ... Michael Giacchino scored the new Star Trek films(the main theme of which is wonderful I think) and is heir apparent to john Williams apparently. But how is he going to write and record an entire score with only a couple of months to go??

Like a lot of in-demand Hollywood composers, he does 4-5 films a year, so a few months is the norm. Composers have been brought in a lot later, sometimes with only 2 or 3 weeks to write a score. The film has probably already been temp tracked as well, so creative choices about the kind music needed in each scene will have already been made by the director/editor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looking forward to hear Giachinno's take. There is nobody not named 'John Williams' who seems better suited to tap into this series' mood and sound while bringing their own twist to the mix. Was actually a bit disappointed he wasn't appointed for The Force Awakens in the first place, although Rey's Theme and a few others justified the return of the veteran :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Looking forward to hear Giachinno's take. There is nobody not named 'John Williams' who seems better suited to tap into this series' mood and sound while bringing their own twist to the mix. Was actually a bit disappointed he wasn't appointed for The Force Awakens in the first place, although Rey's Theme and a few others justified the return of the veteran :)

I love film scores and I have to say since the days of Alias I have love Giachinno's scores and music.
    He did a great job with the Star Trek reboots. Whether you like the films or not, the scores are great. He also took over the mantel from Williams for Jurassic World, so I think the Rogue One score is in safe hands with him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

is the Han Solo prequel still in the pipeline ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

philstar wrote:
    is the Han Solo prequel still in the pipeline ??

It's in pre production

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Han Solo prequel is set for a 2018 release afaik... so a SW film every year till the "final" episode :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i wonder who'll they get to play him ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

philstar wrote: »
    i wonder who'll they get to play him ??

Alden Ehrenreich was cast a few months back. Leaving aside the discussion on whether we need a Han Solo film, I think he's a great choice. Stole the show in Hail Caesar! earlier this year.

alden-ehrenreich-story-julian-sancton.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Na we don't need a Han Solo movie.Love to see one about the ancient Jedi.

Am I correct in saying the Han movie is released the may after episode 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I'd love to see Star Wars movies based on Knights of the Old Republic. There is a lot of potential there I think. Or just the Old Republic itself, back during the time of the Sith Empire.

I mean imagine this trailer brought to life.

If they go back to that period I think it'll be the long rumoured tv series not in film form. It would suit it better to establish it as a seperate entity set long long ago before this time the current series are set in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

the Star Wars galaxy means that they can almost go anywhere with the movies, I love the idea behind rogue one as its a story we know a small bit about but no details, Im not as keen on the idea of Hans or Bobas back stories it seems like a lazy path to take. Id like to see more on the rebellion between episode 3 and 6 but without too much Jedi stuff.

The only standalone i want to see is the Obi Wan story. There's a huge amount of time they can play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The only standalone i want to see is the Obi Wan story. There's a huge amount of time they can play with.

Agree, and that's only if Ewan McGregor is Obi Wan.

I don't want to see any other stand alones really. I just don't want to see new actors take the part of beloved characters, like Han for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Agree, and that's only if Ewan McGregor is Obi Wan.

I don't want to see any other stand alones really. I just don't want to see new actors take the part of beloved characters, like Han for instance.

Not even "Mon Mothma: A Bothan Love Story"?

Or "Ree-Yees Begins"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'd genuinely love a Boba Fett stand alone, as long as he didnt have the kiwi twang to his voice though... I'll never forgive Lucas for ballsing up such an iconic character with the whole Jango Fett clone malarky.... head banging stuff.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

So bob iger was quoted indirectly in rolling stone and apparently rogue one, the Han movie and the third untitled movie are being written as a trilogy of their own and will be related.

That's cool in one regard. Sad part is it most likely means the untitled standalone probably is about boba fett. Nobody I know wants to see that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

So bob iger was quoted indirectly in rolling stone and apparently rogue one, the Han movie and the third untitled movie are being written as a trilogy of their own and will be related.

That's cool in one regard. Sad part is it most likely means the untitled standalone probably is about boba fett. Nobody I know wants to see that film.

Yeah, I don't get what kind of great story they could tell about Boba Fett. It's not like he has (or needs) much character depth. I wouldn't mind seeing him as a side character in another standalone movie. Even a role in the Han Solo movie could work and may even add a bit of a long running conflict between the two that ties in with Boba ultimately capturing Han in ESB.

The untitled standalone could be Obi Wan. There's a lot of potential there for a rogue Jedi post Episode III.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

So hang on, the Rogue One movie will be related to the Han movie? What's Han got to do with the rebellion at this stage? Nothing. He was a mercenary smuggler, nothing more. I'm struggling to think how they'll link him to the rebellion.

The Han movie should, at least, show how he came to have a bounty on his head, and that would involve some Jabba The Hutt for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

So hang on, the Rogue One movie will be related to the Han movie? What's Han got to do with the rebellion at this stage? Nothing. He was a mercenary smuggler, nothing more. I'm struggling to think how they'll link him to the rebellion.

The Han movie should, at least, show how he came to have a bounty on his head, and that would involve some Jabba The Hutt for sure.

Well maybe he unknowingly smuggled some of the guys who stole the death star plans or something small that subtly ties in. When he dumped Jabba's cargo, what if he had those guys with the death star plans aboard and he jettisoned for that reason. They find another way to get the plans to Leia and he gets a Jabba bounty on his head. I don't think it has to be a major story reason how they may interconnect.

Obviously something like this would mean he would have to be in Rogue One which is not going to be the case, but you catch my drift.

Well we're 2/3 being set prior to a new hope. So the relationship is probably that the third will he also set then. So good chance it's the obi wan film too. They're listening to the fan base and it's almost entirely cries for obi wan. McGregor said he'd love to do it. I'd say it'll be that. Probably won't be announced til celebration next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I reckon it would be awesome if Obi one (McGregor) was in the Han movie for a minute or two with the idea of making a standalone Obi One movie.

In terms of Timeline, I am not sure what they are going to do if these three movies are a trilogy. Rogue one seems to come soon before "A new hope" and I presume it will end with something like R2D2 getting the plans and Leia going off in her ship (before she gets intercepted by Darth in ANH).

So, the Han solo movie will have to be set before that, as will pretty much any other part of that "trilogy". Seems like a weird way to make a trilogy, in prequel mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Obi One :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Drumpot wrote: »
    I reckon it would be awesome if Obi one (McGregor) was in the Han movie for a minute or two with the idea of making a standalone Obi One movie.

You mean like Obi Wan drops into the movie randomly and says "we should make a standalone movie with me", and then moves on? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

You mean like Obi Wan drops into the movie randomly and says "we should make a standalone movie with me", and then moves on? :pac:

:D

I thought it might be a bit more subtle but that would be mighty . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

This is not the stand alone movie you are looking for.

Advertisement