Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

You think they are all going to die? Man that would be awesome! A suicide mission that's actually a suicide mission. It's almost unheard of in Hollywood cinema. Usually one person dies, maybe. I'm sceptical Disney doesn't secretly have Felicity signed up for a trilogy.

Watch the supercut trailer. We see about three main characters about to meet their doom. None of the R1 team are making it out alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

david75 wrote: »
    Joss Whedon has come out and said after he saw the rogue one trailer, he wants to direct a Star Wars movie that like R1 is its own thing and unmarried to the saga.

Should Disney sack Colin Trevorrow and replace him with Whedon?
    I knew that its saga but he knows Star Wars. He'd make an amazing Star Wars film.

My vote is yes immediately.

Thoughts?

Absolutely no to Whedon. His tiresome tongue-in-cheek shtick would be awful for a Star Wars film. It would be a terrible fit. I'll admit to have never been a fan and find his smart arse character dialogue unrealistic and tedious after a while.

While I thought 'Firefly' was decent enough, it worked well in that offbeat context. But, if I was Kathleen Kennedy etc, I'd say thanks Joss...but no thanks.

Star Wars needs a director that knows how to handle drama, which I find almost completely absent from Whedon's tool belt.

Tony? Hope you see this. This is what I meant about the new Star Wars books and comics adding to the narrative and canon simply but effectively. With just one panel.
    https://twitter.com/david75donovan/status/789554609601781760

That's all fine and well Dave, but this should be in the film - although it wasn't because they want to milk the Phasma nerd **** for more films :rolleyes:. But, People won't and shouldn't have to seek out other material to fill in the spaces for a movie. If people have to do that, then that picture has failed to deliver its story successfully IMO.

The vast, vast majority of filmgoers for any film simply don't and won't go off and pick up a comic series, or a book to augment the experience in the cinema. It just doesn't happen.

And it really shouldn't happen either.

I was just thinking the other day that Rogue One's ending will probably be a sign of what's to come and whether Disney secretly views all these standalones as potential spin-off trilogies/series. Because if they are really committed to standalone films then I can see a lot of good directors showings interest in doing one.

As far as I'm aware, 'Rogue One' ends on the Tantive IV. There may even be a possibility of a cameo by the two lads and a flash by of a Princess Leia stand in to complete the connection to 'Star Wars'.

TBH, though, if David is correct and they all bite it in the end that would be one hell of an ending for s Star Wars film.

But, there's no way on earth that Disney would see that happen.

Burgo wrote: »
    Honestly the writing for the avengers films was pretty dire too in my opinion.
    The humour just felt all wrong and really out of place.

Also in related star wars news Donald Glover has officially been cast as Lando.
    http://www.slashfilm.com/han-solo-donald-glover-lando-calrissian/

/\

This is the kind of thing that's going to kill Star Wars. The mouse is going to "member berry" everything until it becomes insipid and bland and it'll eventually leave a bad taste in everybody's mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

Has anyone seen any trailers for this in the cinema yet? I have a limitless card for Odeon so would be at the cinema a fair bit, that said I have yet to see a trailer for it. Am I the only one?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Tony EH wrote: »
    This is the kind of thing that's going to kill Star Wars. The mouse is going to "member berry" everything until it becomes insipid and bland and it'll eventually leave a bad taste in everybody's mouth.

In fairness there would be worse uproar to never feature any classic characters. To some it's pandering, to others it's getting to see more stories of characters they love. Second movie in and they've gone and started a film with a cast of main characters who are all new, that's a good and bold move. They could have easily played it safe and done the Han Solo movie in place of it so they could appease the Member Berry levin' fans.
    ps3man wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any trailers for this in the cinema yet? I have a limitless card for Odeon so would be at the cinema a fair bit, that said I have yet to see a trailer for it. Am I the only one?

It's frustrating how little this and TFA were shown in cinemas. If I was to have relied on the cinema only for trailers then I would barely have known that Star Wars was alive and kicking again. But I'll tell ya I know all too well about Bridget Jones and Keeping up with the Jones'.:(

I heard it was going in front of doctor strange. Meaning the trailer.
    But it'll be all over the place from novermber onwards.

Will there be a teaser for 8 in front of rogue one is the big question.
    Can't see them crossing the streams like that but at the same time it would make a lot of sense to do it.

In fairness there would be worse uproar to never feature any classic characters. To some it's pandering, to others it's getting to see more stories of characters they love. Second movie in and they've gone and started a film with a cast of main characters who are all new, that's a good and bold move. They could have easily played it safe and done the Han Solo movie in place of it so they could appease the Member Berry levin' fans.

Um, I think Disney knows that a Han Solo film has to be handled with care. You're dealing with the most beloved character of the entire franchise there and the very fact that one is going to exist will have a lot of people up in arms. You simply can't recast Han Solo and expect an easy ride.

I actually predict that this Han Solo film might be a bit of a damp squib for Disney. Unless the story is absolutely top notch, I can't see it doing great tbh and in many ways I hope that's the case. I think a young Han Solo/Lando/Boba/Jabba/Yoda and what ever your having yourself cheapens the whole series. These characters are established in people's minds. It won't be easy having stand-ins represent the actors that came before, especially in the case of Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams, who are particular to the their Star Wars characters. I'm not saying they're great actors or anything, but imagining anyone else in those roles is impossible.

I think a much better course of action is for Disney to concentrate on the new trilogy and make new stand alone films with entirely new characters like they are with 'Rogue One'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'd rather they do an animated young han solo film with Harrison Ford voice but that ain't gonna happen

• Advertisement

Um, I think Disney knows that a Han Solo film has to be handled with care. You're dealing with the most beloved character of the entire franchise there and the very fact that one is going to exist will have a lot of people up in arms. You simply can't recast Han Solo and expect an easy ride.

I actually predict that this Han Solo film might be a bit of a damp squib for Disney. Unless the story is absolutely top notch, I can't see it doing great tbh and in many ways I hope that's the case. I think a young Han Solo/Lando/Boba/Jabba/Yoda and what ever your having yourself cheapens the whole series. These characters are established in people's minds. It won't be easy having stand-ins represent the actors that came before, especially in the case of Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams, who are particular to the their Star Wars characters. I'm not saying they're great actors or anything, but imagining anyone else in those roles is impossible.

I think a much better course of action is for Disney to concentrate on the new trilogy and make new stand alone films with entirely new characters like they are with 'Rogue One'.

I have the same trepidation about the Han film but they have Kasdan writing it(literally the voice/spirit of Han) and Lorde and Miller also writing and directing. They're great at his kind of his humour. This will be a buddy cop/feel good film but whatever the story it'll be a lot lighter in tone than probably any SW I reckon.
    No bad thing. If it's done right.

So over the course of the last number of pages (and I sposed the FA thread) shoehorning old cast members in is a cash grab, but the new characters (Finn/Poe) are forced and annoying....we are a tough crowd for sure but I'd take more new films over none tbh. Unless basically nobody wants or needs new Star Wars films? Haha

50 days...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

50 days...

tumblr_n1pyhhwUV41rlo1q2o1_1280.jpg

Will there be

A long tme ago in a galaxy far far away?

Will there be the music?

Will there be the crawl?

I need Star Wars music. And a long time ago...I can probably live without a crawl

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, if these spin offs are to be their own beasts, it's probably best they don't adhere to the titles, crawl formula. it'll seem a more unique, tonally creative set of properties if directors can put their own stamp on all aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

pixelburp wrote: »
    Honestly, if these spin offs are to be their own beasts, it's probably best they don't adhere to the titles, crawl formula. it'll seem a more unique, tonally creative set of properties if directors can put their own stamp on all aspects.

Perhaps a brief flash of the STAR WARS text akin to the old LUCASFILM logo of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So over the course of the last number of pages (and I sposed the FA thread) shoehorning old cast members in is a cash grab, but the new characters (Finn/Poe) are forced and annoying....we are a tough crowd for sure but I'd take more new films over none tbh. Unless basically nobody wants or needs new Star Wars films? Haha

There is such an appetite for Star Wars.

I don't know if anyone plays the games, or keeps tabs on the MMO Star Wars, but the stories happening there are incredible. Some of the games cinematic trailers are better then some entire Star Wars films.

If I could have them do anything, it's to just move away from the Skywalker stuff and jump right back to Jedi vs Sith in their pomp. The lightsabres and Jedi/Sith stuff is actually my main draw to star wars. It's why I look on Episodes 1-3 more fondly then others because I enjoyed the lightsabre duels in them immensely.

I actually get a bnit "ugh" when it comes to X-Wings and Tiefighters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Absolutely no to Whedon. His tiresome tongue-in-cheek shtick would be awful for a Star Wars film. It would be a terrible fit. I'll admit to have never been a fan and find his smart arse character dialogue unrealistic and tedious after a while.

Indeed. Reminds me of CSI and that, very annoying.

TheDoc wrote: »
    There is such an appetite for Star Wars.

I don't know if anyone plays the games, or keeps tabs on the MMO Star Wars, but the stories happening there are incredible. Some of the games cinematic trailers are better then some entire Star Wars films.

If I could have them do anything, it's to just move away from the Skywalker stuff and jump right back to Jedi vs Sith in their pomp. The lightsabres and Jedi/Sith stuff is actually my main draw to star wars. It's why I look on Episodes 1-3 more fondly then others because I enjoyed the lightsabre duels in them immensely.

I actually get a bnit "ugh" when it comes to X-Wings and Tiefighters

There is a HUGE demand for a knights of the old republic film or even better a tv series. They are working on a tv series and bets and hopes are that it'll be in that period. 1000 years before a new hope. Nothing but Jedi and Sith. I could take or leave that TBH but there's a massive demand for it.

• Advertisement

I have no interest in a TV series whatsoever. I can only imagine it being ****e or becoming ****e. A film, maybe.

By those lights Battlestar galactica game of thrones the flash etc all should have been sh!te. They weren't at all. You haven't seen it yet. Let's not bother doing anything cos it will all be sh!te won't get us anything.

By those lights Battlestar galactica game of thrones the flash etc all should have been sh!te. They weren't at all. You haven't seen it yet. Let's not bother doing anything cos it will all be sh!te won't get us anything.

The Star Wars universe has/is being exploited enough.

No. we it's fans are. I'm not into the cynical view. I want all the Star Wars they give me. And there's a new consistent quality that's been lacking up til now. So it's a universe that has endless possibilities. So let them go explore it. What's he harm?

No. we it's fans are. I'm not into the cynical view. I want all the Star Wars they give me. And there's a new consistent quality that's been lacking up til now. So it's a universe that has endless possibilities. So let them go explore it. What's he harm?

I agree with your point, but only to an extent.

TFA was undoubtedly a quality movie. Disney did well with it - showed SW respect. Big budgets, good cast, famous director etc.

Now we have Rogue One. That looks good too, from what ive seen of it.

But in this proliferation of content, there is a danger of both a) over saturation and b) drop in quality.

I would be wary of a tv series because can it maintain the quality we have seen so far? Cast, budget, director? Where will the plot go? It may become some aimless, almost exploitative monster, like Lost.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I agree with your point, but only to an extent.

TFA was undoubtedly a quality movie. Disney did well with it - showed SW respect. Big budgets, good cast, famous director etc.

Now we have Rogue One. That looks good too, from what ive seen of it.

But in this proliferation of content, there is a danger of both a) over saturation and b) drop in quality.

I would be wary of a tv series because can it maintain the quality we have seen so far? Cast, budget, director? Where will the plot go? It may become some aimless, almost exploitative monster, like Lost.

They've been doing a lot to tie in all the current platforms together bringing strands in books and comics etc to add to the new established canon and set things up to make the story started in FA but also the OT richer. Say they did a knights of the old republic series. It's a thousand years before. No need for any of that. Other than Jedi v Sith as a basis.

They're more likely to play in that timeline on tv than in the current timeframe

They could do books or tv about Luke's 'lost' 30 years or a series about bounty hunters or Sith or the crime bosses/hutts etc. They can go anywhere.

Comic book movies are oversaturated and have seen a huge drop in quality but they're such a broad church it should be easy for them to be amazing and they haven't been.

SW will eventually hit a bum note. Possibly 8 will be that note. It's gonna be too different to be acceptable IMO. But they won't know unless they try. And even if it's generally accepted as bad, it'll still have people think te great. Like the prequels.

Whole new generation now that have the prequels as their first experience of Star Wars and they defend it vigorously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The 3D trailer for this I saw before Dr Strange was pretty epic

I did a podcast interview about Star Wars if you wanna listen and rip the absolute sh!t out of me l. It's a great podcast too if your looking for thoughtful insightful chat.
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/unmistakably-star-wars/id1059559814?mt=2&i=376913723

Is it ok if we listen to it after 'Rogue One' comes out? ;)

:pac:

• Advertisement

Haha! It doesn't touch rogue one at all I don't think?
    Can't remember TBH I was bit locked doing it. Nerves got to me

Advertisement