Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 krennic77

david75 wrote: »
    It Is definitely the ghost from Rebels.

There's even more on the way. Think I wanna tune out until I see the film but I can't.

IT IS USELESS TO RESIST.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Didn't realise this was been shown in 2D 70mm at select IMAX screens.

Now I need to make a call on seeing it for free on a standard screen opening night versus holding out and paying £22 to see it in its optimal format.

Don't know if any of you watch Star Wars Rebels. Anyways this saturdays episode apparently confirms Obi Wans relationship to Rey.
    He's rumoured to appear before the end of the season as Maul has discovered his whereabouts and has gone to find him to settle that old score and Ezra and Kanan look like they want to find him too.

Let's see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AmyKeeler

Interesting piece on this in the Guardian today. They're suggesting Disney are intentionally limiting the potential success of Rogue One so as not to 'muddy the waters' with the other mainstream titles in the new Star Wars series. Seems an odd choice to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

AmyKeeler wrote: »
    Interesting piece on this in the Guardian today. They're suggesting Disney are intentionally limiting the potential success of Rogue One so as not to 'muddy the waters' with the other mainstream titles in the new Star Wars series. Seems an odd choice to me...

I haven't seen the article yet but I imagine they don't want to emphasis every film the same way they would promote the legacy films. If they did then they would be accused of diminishing returns and what could be deemed negative press from it.

AmyKeeler wrote: »

Got a link? Not seeing it on their site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Mizu_Ger wrote: »

Thanks. I don't agree with it. They want the standalones to be successful in their own right. But seperate from the saga. I still think it was a bad idea to break up the release of the saga films by inserting these standalones. But only time will tell if that was a good or bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

From the Guardian;

It’s possible that Edwards, the man behind highly innovative sci-fi film Monsters, might in fact have made a movie so interesting it was actively distracting.???

This article is satirical isn't it?

• Advertisement

This part was interesting. Especially if they are revealing Reys lineage in Rebels.

“Disney would have been looking at the film through two lenses,” says Nash. “How do we make a great film and how do we fit it into the overall mythology? They want the secondary films [a young-Han-Solo movie is also on the way] to build into making the next main story even more interesting.

Pennys has a TON of Star Wars stuff if you're lookin for presents. Got these only €7 each
    https://instagram.com/p/BNzM6USBj1e/

https://instagram.com/p/BNzMmwEBVqY/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Don't know if any of you watch Star Wars Rebels. Anyways this saturdays episode apparently confirms Obi Wans relationship to Rey.
    He's rumoured to appear before the end of the season as Maul has discovered his whereabouts and has gone to find him to settle that old score and Ezra and Kanan look like they want to find him too.

Let's see.

What now ??

Maul ?

Yeah they brought Maul back in the clone wars series but he's a big part of the Rebels series.you can read how and why here

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth Maul

So I just read :

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38259838

Iedit . who am I fooling !! !

'Can we get trump supporters to boycott oxygen and water next? That'd be great!'

I'm on board with that.

'Can we get trump supporters to boycott oxygen and water next? That'd be great!'

I'm on board with that.

Great !!!!

You must be a PROGRESSIVE LIBERAL!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm on board with that.

Great !!!!

You must be a PROGRESSIVE LIBERAL!!!!

Or just normal...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Aha, I knew there was something missing from the run-up to this film, but of course it's so obvious now: what's a modern-day blockbuster these days without the requisite cadre of raging, Twitter knuckle-draggers to really make you question the point of humanity. Episode VII, Ghostbusters etc. etc.

Anti-Trump messages. Bloody hell. If a fictitious and exagerratedly evil empire feels like a cutting rebuke of their political choice, it's probably not a good sign & maybe these people should re-think pinning their flag to that particular mast.

To quote a guy

If Star Wars — an obvious allegory about Nazism — feels like an attack on your candidate, the problem isn’t with Star Wars… #DumpStarWars

• Advertisement

But don't you think a Star Wars film should have zero political statements ?
    In a story set in a different f*cking galaxy after all ?

This message doesn't belong in this film - in either side.

To quote a guy

If Star Wars — an obvious allegory about Nazism — feels like an attack on your candidate, the problem isn’t with Star Wars… #DumpStarWars

Not obviously about nazism to me ... but can't you just insert any "evil" ideology in there to represent the empire ?

To me it's about a war involving some force sensitive beings that happened in a galaxy far far away ... a long time ago - so f*ck all this symbolism..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And the right wing constantly go on about "precious snowflakes" on the left.

IT'S A FUCKING FILM FOR CHRISTS SAKE. :pac:

#triggeredbystarwars

Laughable.

Tony EH wrote: »
    And the right wing constantly go on about "precious snowflakes" on the left.

IT'S A FUCKING FILM FOR CHRISTS SAKE. :pac:

#triggeredbystarwars

Laughable.

I agree ... but there should be no message in the film, thats why it annoys me ...

Star Wars history for you if you don't think it's allegorical.

Lucas wrote it as a direct respons to Vietnam and then mined further and portrayed the nazis via the empire.

The empire only hired white humans. Males mostly. No aliens among their ranks.

And if you don't think art should be able to respond to real world political climate then you really are part of a bigger problem. .
    It's the job of art to speak to the time it's in.

You don't have to acknowledge it or let it diminish your enjoyment but it was always there

Few realize that the original Star Wars movie (1977) was an allegory about America and the Vietnam War. “Come again?!”, you say? In 2005, George Lucas revealed that Star Wars “was really about the Vietnam War….” He first conceptualized a Flash Gordon-inspired space saga in 1971 and began writing
    Vietnam-Legos Flowers the script on April 17, 1973 at age 29, in the midst of the United States’ escalating conflict in southeast Asia. Recall that Lucas (born May 14, 1944) wore a black beard back then, a proud counter-culture badge of honor in a divided America that was rapidly changing. The passions and conflicts of his era informed his world view.

Here's a podcast with three published current Star Wars authors talking about how Star Wars is fundamentally political and speaks to its time.

Also there's a quote in revenge of the Sith that Lucas put in that he literally took from George w bush's mouth. 'If you're not with me then you're my enemy'

Well worth a listen it's fascinating
    Episode description in the pic
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/podcast/full-sith-star-wars-news-discussions/id591644330?mt=2&i=378325286

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I can't get the article to open. Is this a real world change or Alex Jones world?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

But don't you think a Star Wars film should have zero political statements ?
    In a story set in a different f*cking galaxy after all ?

This message doesn't belong in this film - in either side.

The Empire have always been nazi standins, it's well documented. I mean their uniforms alone should be enough of a hint as to where the inspiration is being drawn from. And given the shadow of ww2 was still fresh enough in the mid 70s (the ww2 film genre was still pretty strong back then too), it's unsurprising that's the creative well Lucas & co. delved into.

And honestly, the naxis are pretty weak 'politics' by all accounts. They're a fairly unambiguously evil ideology and history, their use is hardly controversial or topical

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    I can't get the article to open. Is this a real world change or Alex Jones world?

It's a podcast.

Advertisement