Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well having read the reactions on Twitter of those who attended the Premiere last night it appears we are in for a treat.

Of course the obvious health warning would be that those invited to the Premiere would be positively predisposed to the film in the first place.

But very positive sounds anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Avoid reading any reaction pieces if you can.
    Already seen two spoilers I'd really rather not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

bilston wrote: »
    Well having read the reactions on Twitter of those who attended the Premiere last night it appears we are in for a treat.

Of course the obvious health warning would be that those invited to the Premiere would be positively predisposed to the film in the first place.

But very positive sounds anyway.

3B42E3AD00000578-0-image-a-54_1481440562175.jpg

3B43110400000578-0-image-a-53_1481440552956.jpg

3B42DE5000000578-0-image-a-55_1481440565156.jpg

3B42DA9D00000578-0-image-a-62_1481440582631.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

There is a press screening today in Dublin. Actually it's on right now as I write.
    Lucky bashtardos

These arrived in the post today :)
    https://instagram.com/p/BN7FF7XBzx5/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Review embargo ends 10pm (GMT) tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

Falthyron wrote: »
    Review embargo ends 10pm (GMT) tonight.

Embargo is 5pm tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Seven minute long prologue of 'Dunkirk' to be shown before Rogue One in IMAX screens. I am guessing this is limited to the U.S.? Was the Dark Knight Rises prologue shown in U.K. cinemas?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/world-war-2-action-movie-from-dark-knight-director/1100-6446193/

Seven minute long prologue of 'Dunkirk' to be shown before Rogue One in IMAX screens. I am guessing this is limited to the U.S.? Was the Dark Knight Rises prologue shown in U.K. cinemas?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/world-war-2-action-movie-from-dark-knight-director/1100-6446193/

I really like the sound of Dunkirk...just from looking at the cast and director...although...Harry Styles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Yep, I saw TDKR one so would assume the Dunkirk one will be shown before all proper 70MM IMAX screenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭orubiru

But don't you think a Star Wars film should have zero political statements ?
    In a story set in a different f*cking galaxy after all ?

This message doesn't belong in this film - in either side.

To be fair, a society that draws it's understanding of history and politics from a 2 hour action movie filled with cliches and tropes probably deserves to have celebrity buffoon leaders.

Star Wars is political or allegorical in a VERY broad sense.

Even people who say Star Wars is about the Vietnam War are talking about the most basic understanding of that situation possible.

Same with "The Empire are Nazis" thing. Listen, take any brutal regime from human history and you could say The Empire is just like that.

It's funny that in a movie where the bad guys are called "The Empire" that people think it's some kind of profound statement to compare them to powerful and brutal regimes from human history.

Well, duh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i just hope its not CGI'ed to death...the trailers keep me hopeful

Thats the one thing i was disappointed with the Force Awakens that the main baddie Snoke was CGI'ed would have preferred if it was a human character

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

RTE have savaged it in Alan Corrs review

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/movie-reviews/2016/1213/838585-rogue-one-is-utter-spaceballs/

I am still going to go, have got to make up my own mind on this one.

Don't expect to see any positive reviews in Irish media. They all seem to hate anything sci fi or comic book based.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

RTÉ wouldn't be my go to place for film reviews. At the moment it's a very respectable 82% on rotten tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Trying to avoid spoilers for this, but just skimming reviews it would appear this is a more adult, darker Star Wars movie, which some dont seem happy with. If that is the case I would be perfectly happy with a more grown up Star Wars.

Like many I thought TFA was ok but unoriginal, not the amazing movie some people thought it was(92% on Rotten Tomatos, seriously!!).

Anyways, I think I might enjoy this one more as I really liked the look of the trailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

philstar wrote: »
    i just hope its not CGI'ed to death...the trailers keep me hopeful

Thats the one thing i was disappointed with the Force Awakens that the main baddie Snoke was CGI'ed would have preferred if it was a human character

Didn't he alwsys appear via a projection skype type thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Trying to avoid spoilers for this, but just skimming reviews it would appear this is a more adult, darker Star Wars movie, which some dont seem happy with. If that is the case I would be perfectly happy with a more grown up Star Wars.

Oh. Was kinda so so on this in the build up as I just expected it to be another by the numbers Disney machine roll out but that does have me more interested

I've read (or skimmed through) two negative reviews so far...RTE and the New Yorker...all other reviews I've seen are positive to varying degrees.

It certainly seems as though it will have a darker tone and may not appeal to young kids so much...that's fine by me...

The reviews are pretty open about the identity of some characters which I'm surprised about...so avoid if you want it all to be a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

RTÉ wouldn't be my go to place for film reviews. At the moment it's a very respectable 82% on rotten tomatoes
    I would agree generally however i would find Harry Guerin a good reviewer, have found his reviews to be fairly spot on.

This review was by Alan Corr who is a bit hit and miss in my books.

However i would always find the review websites need about a week for the a fair reflection of the movie score to be found.

It's being voted down on some sites by the #dumpstarwars morons apparently.

A few US reviews I've read have been negative. Yet virtually all the UK reviews I've read (only Irish one I'very read is RTE) have been positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

RTE have savaged it in Alan Corrs review

http://www.rte.ie/entertainment/movie-reviews/2016/1213/838585-rogue-one-is-utter-spaceballs/

I am still going to go, have got to make up my own mind on this one.

RTE's film reviewers are woeful. I don't trust a word of any of their reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Chris Stuckmann on YT has posted a good balanced non-spoiler review.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Lukeskyrunner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

david75 wrote: »
    These arrived in the post today :)
    https://instagram.com/p/BN7FF7XBzx5/

Damn I booked my tickets today for Thursday. Can anyone go to that showing it was not on there website when I was on it but that might be because I did not look at Wednesday so maybe it was is there.

Also I noticed some screenings are booked out but its nothing like when 'The Force Awakens' came out. There was way more hype and way more screening booked out and cinema,s booked out by this time already.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement