Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

AMKC wrote: »
    Damn I booked my tickets today for Thursday. Can anyone go to that showing it was not on there website when I was on it but that might be because I did not look at Wednesday so maybe it was is there.

Also I noticed some screenings are booked out but its nothing like when 'The Force Awakens' came out. There was way more hype and way more screening booked out and cinema,s booked out by this time already.

Nah it's invite only. Irish premiere. A lot less marketing and push than force awakens cos business reasons. Force awakens needed to remind people Star Wars was back and ongoing. This doesn't need to do that. It's a one off story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The vast majority of reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are positive.

Avoid all that though. Reviews mean nothing in the long or short run. Some of the best films ever were slammed upon release only to become classics later when people who read the reviews ignored the film and then eventually watched.

Film critics are hardened cynical and simply see too many films to take any joy from it. Even to enjoy or appreciate the monumental effort it takes from hundreds of people to make a film.

I don't even like them when they rarely agree with a film I like. I'm probably speaking of Irish film journos. They all seem so bitter and jaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

david75 wrote: »
    Avoid all that though. Reviews mean nothing in the long or short run. Some of the best films ever were slammed upon release only to become classics later when people who read the reviews ignored the film and then eventually watched.

Film critics are hardened cynical and simply see too many films to take any joy from it. Even to enjoy or appreciate the monumental effort it takes from hundreds of people to make a film.

I don't even like them when they rarely agree with a film I like. I'm probably speaking of Irish film journos. They all seem so bitter and jaded.

Being a bit harsh on film critics there I think!

Yes, they see a lot of films, but I don't think that means they can't tell a good film from a bad one. If anything that probably makes them better at it! I think most critics are very aware of how difficult a collaborative process making a film actually is - certainly more than the average man on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Saying a film critic doesn't like movies is like saying a food critic doesn't like food, of course they're going to come across as more cynical but generally that's because they're not as attached to a franchise as the fans and they can look at it from a slightly more objective perspective. You don't always have to agree with a critic, you never have to agree with one, but this idea that film critics are out to get the industry is all a bit mad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is an absurd generalisation. Many great contemporary film critics display enviable understanding and passion for film as a medium. The best ones throughout history have directly influenced the very language we use to talk about cinema. Don't mistake taking cinema seriously as hardened cynicism. If anything, I'd go as far as suggesting there are many easy-going critics out there currently, ensuring franchise blockbusters - rarely (the odd Mad Max: Fury Road aside) any sort of peak of cinematic expression - get a more generous and positive airing than they often deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Your post makes sound like the critics you are complaining about.

Anyhow, critics are just like the rest of us and they have an opinion so I don't regard one review as vital to a film.

However, with ratings like Rotten Tomatoes, compiling the reviews then it's good to get an overview as a mass of critic are generally rate.

Rogue One has 84% positive so far so that is a very good sign.

To be fair I really only had one or two in mind that have always felt the need to take down two particular genres they don't like. And they've been doing it forever.

Read the New York Times review? Sorta like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/review/a816789/rogue-one-review/

Digital Spy do a good review,no spoilers either.

TLDR: 5 Stars and watching it before going back to A New Hope makes the latter even better.

It'll be Sunday before I get to see it and I actually can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I thought The Force Awakens was a giant pile of dogcrap, so I've every low expectations for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

To be fair I really only had one or two in mind that have always felt the need to take down two particular genres they don't like. And they've been doing it forever.

Yeah I think it's down to personal taste. It's better to find a critic who's tastes are similar to your own and it can be interesting to hear their opinions on the film then. But at the same time that's all it is, an opinion and I'd usually not give any more weight to a critic writing a review for the New York times than I would to a friend telling me they didn't like a film. Different people can take different things away from each film and you can't really know if you'll like a film or not until you watch it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Then don't decry all critics like you did! :p I mean if nothing else, you realise we're all critics here on Boards? In some way shape or form anyway. Granted we don't have publications to print our thoughts, and some go into more detail than others, but by and large the whole point of this corner of the internet is to facilitate the amateur critics amongst us in debate. To dump on 'critics' is to self-dump :)

I dug out the New York Times review & it seemed pretty positive, you sure you meant that particular one?

It seems a pretty constant trend at this point that with any highly anticipated or hyped film, critics inevitably draw flak for sounding a contrary opinion, or not being as breathlessly excited as the fans. The metacritic culture so to speak.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Then don't decry all critics like you did! :p I mean if nothing else, you realise we're all critics here on Boards? In some way shape or form anyway. Granted we don't have publications to print our thoughts, and some go into more detail than others, but by and large the whole point of this corner of the internet is to facilitate the amateur critics amongst us in debate. To dump on 'critics' is to self-dump :)

I dug out the New York Times review & it seemed pretty positive, you sure you meant that particular one?

It seems a pretty constant trend at this point that with any highly anticipated or hyped film, critics inevitably draw flak for sounding a contrary opinion, or not being as breathlessly excited as the fans. The metacritic culture so to speak.

Everyone's critic ;)

Seeing this later. Excited but really tempered expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 krennic77

Off to see it at midnight. The "studio interference" and re-shoot talk is a bit of a concern but I'm just delighted to be able to see another Star Wars movie. I thought TFA was a solid 7.5/10 movie and if this is around the same, I'll be satisfied. One thing is for certain - this will be the most visually impressive and immersive Star Wars movie yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought The Force Awakens was a giant pile of dogcrap, so I've every low expectations for this one.

I ain,t as big a Star Wars fan as I am a Star Trek fan but even I will say that thats harsh. It was not a giant pile of dogcrap maybe it was not very original but it certainly was not crap either. Maybe you should try not to take the film so seriously and just sit back relax and enjoy it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Here's exactly who I meant earlier and look at the headline. Hasn't even researched it. Star Wars isn't science fiction.

I blame Star Wars for science fiction’s downfall

http://on.irishtimes.com/0PcuZiy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Can't be any worse than The Force Awakens which was absolutely awful.
    Was not a fan of the prequels but I would watch them again before watching The Force Awakens again.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

It's getting 83% fresh on Rottentomatos, whose review scores I usually agree with.

At this stage, 8 movies into the franchise, if people are expecting complete originality, then you're going to be disappointed. If, like the Bond movies you want to see 'the formula', then happy days.

It always amazes me how people complain that Force Awakens was a retread of the original Star Wars, yet somehow forget that Return of the Jedi was an even more blatant retread of the original movie only two movies later.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 krennic77

PWEI wrote: »
    Was not a fan of the prequels but I would watch them again before watching The Force Awakens again.

Rather you than me, mate!

• Advertisement

Just out of seeing it.

Remember me saying this. Those people that complained force awakens was too much like Star Wars will say this is too different.

I have a one sentence review but I'll save it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I absolutely fcuking loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

Roar wrote: »
    I absolutely fcuking loved it.

Same here. Just out of 00.01 screening in Point Village. There was surprisingly only 10 mins of ads and the movie started at 00.11!

Without posting any spoilers (yet) I thought CGI
    Tarkin
    was fantastic, as were Alan Tudyk (K2) and Donnie Yens Characters

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Really loved it.

So many Easter Eggs that will take multiple viewings to get them all

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Just back... and WOW! That was a perfect tribute to the original Star Wars movie. I didn't watch a single trailer for this or read a review, went in absolutely cold to this and was blown away. Lots of surprises for me, nothing ruined, had my jaw drop a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Absolutely adored that.. really don't think it could have been more..

Little hat tips to what was to come scattered throughout but not too in your face..

Story was exactly what it should have been..perfect

Can't really think of too much wrong with it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

PWEI wrote: »

Lay off the crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

That was just wow

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭curryman

got to agree WOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

That last 60 seconds....
    Just wow.

Whole film was great, but the end had my heart going crazy

Advertisement