Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just out from my second viewing. Now it makes sense. And the emotional power came. It doesn't have huge big problems apart from pacing issues (hello reshoots) and trudging repetitive exposition at a few points. it's got a great many smaller problems that sting the scenes they're in. You'll see them. but they're small things Star Wars fans will maybe not see or forgive and certain film fans with an eye or critics will. It has film making problems. It doesn't really have Star wars problems.

There are a bunch of references fans will get. (Watch for the blue milk!) and a certain name gets called at some point that roused a gasp around me. And loads of others.

The end though. Holy ffffffffffffff. The best Star Wars in all Star Wars.

Needs a few more views but this isn't the instant grab force awakens was. Think this might need to be let sit and come back to it sparingly to really appreciate.

Please go home and put on a new hope immediately after seeing it. It changes a new hope so much for the better and a new hope raises it somehow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So you are having a quiet drink with your mate in a Tatooine cantina and commenting on what a stroke of luck you had in getting the last transport a couple of days ago. Then some cocky little farm boy ruins your day by knocking your drink over and his old mate chops your hand off.

Win some, loose some I guess.

Need to go watch again now. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Special shout-out to Vue for ruining the last few mins (somewhat important part some might say), by having the lights come on full blast. Their timing no doubt messed up by them shoehorning 30mins of adverts beforehand.

Thanks very much. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've never been a huge Star Wars fan - I've found them all to be enjoyable and a bit of fun, but in general they don't fill me with the same delight and awe as certain other franchises. I'm not saying I dislike them in any way, just that I'm no superfan.

That said, having just gotten home from the midnight screening of Rogue One, I genuinely loved every moment of this film. For me, it hit all the right notes, had a solid self contained story with fully formed and likeable characters, yet still managing to tie in seamlessly to the franchise, visually stunning, and was a little more grown up than previous outings, which was refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 krennic77

david75 wrote: »
    Just out from my second viewing. Now it makes sense. And the emotional power came. It doesn't have huge big problems apart from pacing issues (hello reshoots) and trudging repetitive exposition at a few points. it's got a great many smaller problems that sting the scenes they're in. You'll see them. but they're small things Star Wars fans will maybe not see or forgive and certain film fans with an eye or critics will. It has film making problems. It doesn't really have Star wars problems.

There are a bunch of references fans will get. (Watch for the blue milk!) and a certain name gets called at some point that roused a gasp around me. And loads of others.

The end though. Holy ffffffffffffff. The best Star Wars in all Star Wars.

Needs a few more views but this isn't the instant grab force awakens was. Think this might need to be let sit and come back to it sparingly to really appreciate.

Please go home and put on a new hope immediately after seeing it. It changes a new hope so much for the better and a new hope raises it somehow.

I'd agree with a lot of what you've said there. I HATE heavy exposition but thought this wasnt too bad at all in that sense. A few brief moments did seem like reshoots/interference but whilst it's not perfect it's a pretty good movie and well worth its place amongst the original trilogy imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Which scenes were re-shot? I know the stuff they filmed in the Underground was part of that, but I can't remember where those scenes slotted in now...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

My initial thought was 7/10 but that may change when I see it again with my sons on Friday.

Anybody recognise some of the pilots at the end ;)

I enjoyed it and the ending was.. I mean I thought it was superb... i don't know whether to watch the awesomeness unfold or my children's faces!!! That alone was worth going to midnight showing!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Just back. Saw it at the 3D IMAX Midnight Showing in Cineworld.

That was so good!

Go see, go now! :)

Parents note on Rating but no plot giveaway:
    This film can be upsetting for adults, for younger children it might be very upsetting in places. There's a lot of emotions being worked heavily in the 2nd half of the film

As for the film and story...
    I thought it was done so well. I mean like, it might be cos I'm just back but.. I really liked The Force Awakens but I thought this film was better.

They had no opening crawl, just like skipped that part but it felt fine. No big loss, they went straight to work on the story.

It laid the backstory quick enough (with the childhood and the father getting taken off to work on the Death Star) and caught you up on the... I guess.. present of the film after that.

Everything felt fine, like "Hello, you are watching a Star Wars film, this is fine".

Then it was an emotional ride of hope within hopelessness. Starting with the lack of support by the Rebels Council group thing. You could tell Jyn was going to go off and do the assault but it felt hopeless and too much to expect any chance from.

But then Cassian Andor and his soldiers stepping up was such a solidarity moment. I'll need to check that again later, it got me right in the feels this time.

Then K-2SO almost crossing the line with humour but stopping just short and then taking all the hits and going out like that. I knew it was Alan Tudyk so it tapped into my memories of that feels from Wash in Serenity.

Then every moment of the battle felt meaningful. They did this so well. Nothing felt gratuitous. Each time someone died, I got more and more emotionally... I dunno... kinda a mix of sad,angry,hopeless.

I honestly thought Cassian Andor was gone and that it was done fine. Having him back had me unsure.

But then how it ended, with them holding each other like that on the beach. It just made sense. It excused what I thought had been a little bit of a cheat.

Then

YEAH THEN! On top of all this... bringing us back to the space battle. Bringing the story together with Episode 4. Nicely done.

Leia cameo was handled well. CG seemed to be used but the scene was short so felt ok.

Finally! Did you see how Ominous Vader was ... DID YOU SEE THAT DARK MIST!!!
    :eek:

Top Marks! :)

Also.. kinda aside
    Cool to hear General Syndulla being called at Yavin 4. Nice nod to Star Wars Rebels
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 krennic77

Watching the trailers again, especially the first one - it's clear they reworked a LOT of the ground battle at the end. It's not just that certain shots don't appear, complete concepts were abandoned.

krennic77 wrote: »
    Watching the trailers again, especially the first one - it's clear they reworked a LOT of the ground battle at the end. It's not just that certain shots don't appear, complete concepts were abandoned.

Well Its not just the reshoots. The scar tissue from trying to splice the original and the reshot material is quite glaring. But further than that the editing stumbles quite a lot, exposing it.
    It could well just be it doesn't move or flow like Star Wars I'm used to. Certain Force awakens scenes could have benefitted from being slowed down or having a few extra beats.

This could benefit from certain scenes being trimmed down and sped up a little.

It feels like a much much longer film than Force awakens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I didn't notice any reshoot splicing?

Then again I never so much as watched a trailer for this.

What was so glaring???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seemed that the Empires quartermaster department had nothing much to do between the events of Rouge One and A New Hope, so repainted all their cargo containers, turbo lifts and a few other things from orange to grey.

Sure that I'd not seen as much orange things is Star Wars previously, but there seemed to be lots of it in this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Watched it last night in Cineworld and I thought it was excellent. I'm old enough to have seen the first Star Wars in the cinema many years ago and this is up there with the best films in the series. Far superior to The Force Awakens in my opinion.

I enjoyed The Force Awakens but felt that it was relying too much on the nostalgia factor in terms of character moments and action/music beats. Rogue One stands on its own two feet as a story and as a film.
    The only thing that took me out of the film was whenever Grand Moff Tarquin was onscreen. Peter Cushing was such an immense screen presence and elevated every scene his character was in during the original 'Star Wars'. The FX used to recreate him here are not quite right. They have the same problem as the shots of young Jeff Bridges in 'Tron Legacy' in that Cushing appears vaguely lifeless in an uncanny valley way.

Although I have to say that the final shot of a young Leia was jaw-dropping. It was perfect. Whether that was because they were able to use Carrie Fisher as part of some FX capture process I'm not sure, but they spent time getting this one right.

Well Its not just the reshoots. The scar tissue from trying to splice the original and the reshot material is quite glaring. But further than that the editing stumbles quite a lot, exposing it.
    It could well just be it doesn't move or flow like Star Wars I'm used to. Certain Force awakens scenes could have benefitted from being slowed down or having a few extra beats.

This could benefit from certain scenes being trimmed down and sped up a little.

It feels like a much much longer film than Force awakens.

I thought the film flowed very well in terms of pacing. If you go into a film with preconceived ideas about reshoots and the like you might start looking for evidence of this stuff during the film. I had not read much about the film before seeing it and nothing stood out that felt jarring or obviously out of step with the rest of the story.

The action scenes were generally well choreographed and felt logical in terms of location and story.

robinph wrote: »
    Seemed that the Empires quartermaster department had nothing much to do between the events of Rouge One and A New Hope, so repainted all their cargo containers, turbo lifts and a few other things from orange to grey.

Sure that I'd not seen as much orange things is Star Wars previously, but there seemed to be lots of it in this film.

The Empire also seems to have suddenly discontinued production of the K-2SO droid.
    Although maybe after they discovered how easily the Alliance were able to reprogram it, they quickly decided to destroy every trace of its existence from the galaxy!

How did R2-D2 and C3P0 get from Yavin and onto the blockade runner so quickly? They were stood in a hangar watching all the X-Wings depart for Scariff, and I assume that the X-Wings didn't hang around to wait for a couple of hours just so a stupid protocol droid whos memory gets regularly wiped could get on a transport as all the fighters and capital ships came out of hyperspace together. But somehow the droids had made it onto the ship that was docked with the main command ship in time.

Do the rebels have a teleporter just for droids as it looked like they were otherwise left on their own on Yavin at that point? I'm also assuming that the time between the end of Rouge One and ANH was only a matter of an hour or so at most whilst the ships hyperspaced to Tatooine, certainly no time for going back to collect R2 and his forgetful friend.

I thought the 3D was less intrusive in this film than it had been in TFA. There wasn't any shots of Star Destroyers flying out of the screen to poke you in the face just because they wanted to prove that it was 3D. The 3D effects just did their thing without slapping you about the face and making you feel sick, which is as it should be. From TFA I felt as if the 3D was making you miss things going on in the background, didn't feel like that for this film and I barely noticed it was there.

The Empire also seems to have suddenly discontinued production of the K-2SO droid.
    Although maybe after they discovered how easily the Alliance were able to reprogram it, they quickly decided to destroy every trace of its existence from the galaxy!
    I guess they must have had a self destruct mechanism built into them, but would have expected to see piles of spare droid parts scattered about in ANH then and a bunch of confused looking people wondering why all the droids had just vaporised minutes earlier. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Unreal! So much better than I was expecting :D

I thought this was out on the 18th. whoops

robinph wrote: »
    How did R2-D2 and C3P0 get from Yavin and onto the blockade runner so quickly? They were stood in a hangar watching all the X-Wings depart for Scariff, and I assume that the X-Wings didn't hang around to wait for a couple of hours just so a stupid protocol droid whos memory gets regularly wiped could get on a transport as all the fighters and capital ships came out of hyperspace together. But somehow the droids had made it onto the ship that was docked with the main command ship in time.

Do the rebels have a teleporter just for droids as it looked like they were otherwise left on their own on Yavin at that point? I'm also assuming that the time between the end of Rouge One and ANH was only a matter of an hour or so at most whilst the ships hyperspaced to Tatooine, certainly no time for going back to collect R2 and his forgetful friend.

I thought the 3D was less intrusive in this film than it had been in TFA. There wasn't any shots of Star Destroyers flying out of the screen to poke you in the face just because they wanted to prove that it was 3D. The 3D effects just did their thing without slapping you about the face and making you feel sick, which is as it should be. From TFA I felt as if the 3D was making you miss things going on in the background, didn't feel like that for this film and I barely noticed it was there.
    you hear Bail Organa call for Captain Antilles when he finishes his chat with MonMothma about the Jedi. Antilles is the captain of the blockade runner and owns the droids at this point so they would have left with Bail which is before it all kicks off. Plus that's the ship they've been on and assigned to since the end of revenge of the Sith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I enjoyed it though I found
    Vader's "Be careful you don't *choke* on your ambition" line while *using* Force Choke to be too way Joss Whedon quippy. Likewise the references to "hope wins a rebellion".

Like the new characters a lot though. Felt more like a PC game in some ways?

The final moment, with Vader finally realised and the seeing Leia and knowing you were fine minutes away until A New Hope was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,636 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was really thinking they were going to link it to The Force Awakens by having...

Jyn & Cassian be Rey parents at one stage so glad they didn't go that route

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Nevermind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

Spoiler:
    In one scene, two stormtroopers are chatting and one of them mentions something going obsolete (I cant remember what he says), I assumed it was referring to a ship or a weapon, or even the clones, but couldn't link it anything. Does anyone know what I'm talking about :confused:? Was this throw away line of dialogue a way to explain how something that is used in the prequels is not used in A New Hope and beyond? Or am i looking into everything:o too much

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

How does this compare to "The Force Awakens"... Darker? More atmospheric? Or does it have the same feel to it? I'm not really into Star Wars so I've never watched episodes IV, V or VI and of the "new" ones, I only liked episode III....so a lot of the nostalgia elements of episode VII didn't mean anything to me, nor did I find the film all that great either but I really like the look of Rogue One.

Spoiler:
    In one scene, two stormtroopers are chatting and one of them mentions something going obsolete (I cant remember what he says), I assumed it was referring to a ship or a weapon, or even the clones, but couldn't link it anything. Does anyone know what I'm talking about :confused:? Was this throw away line of dialogue a way to explain how something that is used in the prequels is not used in A New Hope and beyond? Or am i looking into everything:o too much
    Think it was about the T-15, or similar, and a virtually identical line is used in several of the films but with different model numbers.

siblers wrote: »
    How does this compare to "The Force Awakens"... Darker? More atmospheric? Or does it have the same feel to it? I'm not really into Star Wars so I've never watched episodes IV, V or VI and of the "new" ones, I only liked episode III....so a lot of the nostalgia elements of episode VII didn't mean anything to me, nor did I find the film all that great either but I really like the look of Rogue One.

It should be enjoyable without being into Star Wars and should be able to stand on it's own. It adds to the Star Wars universe and there are links to things that are recognisable in the other films, but knowledge of the Star Wars universe is certainly not required. It is sci-fi without the added on "magic" of the other films. The Star Wars elements of it can be incidental to the story if you want and just see it a a war film that happens to be set in space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

An enjoyable romp. Some good jokes and the usual cringey Hollywoods tropes. Exactly as I expected really. On the other hand
    the ending isn't the usual blockbuster stuff. I was waiting for a last minute escape but it never happened and the film is all the better for it.

What impressed me most is that they've somehow rinsed one more story out of the
    Death Star (coming just a year after TFA's Starkiller Base)
    . I rolled my eyes when I initially heard of the plot outline because it seemed like another re-run of the original trilogy. But it works.

My only real complaint is with some of the combat. The handheld weaponry in the Star Wars universe feels so light and flimsy. I've just never been convinced by the ground battles (except in Star Wars Battlefront ;)). But that's a legacy issue and can't be blamed on this film. It just really stood out for me here because of the war movie vibe they're pushing for.

Finally, can someone clear up one of the plot points for me?
    Right at the end Jyn has to readjust an antennae in order to transmit the data. Straight away the antennae is destroyed. After that she runs back to successfully upload the package? Did I overlook something? How did she send the link without an antennae?

Pickpocket wrote: »
    An enjoyable romp. Some good jokes and the usual cringey Hollywoods tropes. Exactly as I expected really. On the other hand
    the ending isn't the usual blockbuster stuff. I was waiting for a last minute escape but it never happened and the film is all the better for it.

What impressed me most is that they've somehow rinsed one more story out of the
    Death Star (coming just a year after TFA's Starkiller Base)
    . I rolled my eyes when I initially heard of the plot outline because it seemed like another re-run of the original trilogy. But it works.

My only real complaint is with some of the combat. The handheld weaponry in the Star Wars universe feels so light and flimsy. I've just never been convinced by the ground battles (except in Star Wars Battlefront ;)). But that's a legacy issue and can't be blamed on this film. It just really stood out for me here because of the war movie vibe they're pushing for.

Finally, can someone clear up one of the plot points for me?
    Right at the end Jyn has to readjust an antennae in order to transmit the data. Straight away the antennae is destroyed. After that she runs back to successfully upload the package? Did I overlook something? How did she send the link without an antennae?
    you didn't know this was about the plans to steal the Death Star??
    The control panel was hit. The antenna was the giant dish above her which she moved before it got hit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

you didn't know this was about the plans to steal the Death Star??
    The control panel was hit. The antenna was the giant dish above her which she moved before it got hit

I think you mean the death star plans...not a plan to steal the death star. That would be quite impossible given its size.

Advertisement