Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I saw this last night at Vue cinemas (thanks for turning on the lights 2-3 minutes before the film ended, by the way...!) and I have spent most of the day mulling over what I saw.

I am divided, I think. I should mention I am a life-long Star Wars fan; have watched the movies religiously and played so many games set in the Star Wars universe. But, there is something about this movie I can't put my thumb on. It is not a bad movie. I didn't walk out of the cinema thinking that was a waste of money or a disappointment. I think it is a good movie, but with serious reservations.

Firstly, the film is quite disjointed. It opens up with numerous scenes jumping between three different planets and the reason for this is difficult to discern.
    Jyn is in a prison on one planet, then we jump to Cassian on another for a quick scene (character building I guess?), then back to Jyn who is no longer in a prison, but now in a transport on another planet, and then finally we arrive on Yavin IV with Jyn (after being freed) where Cassian is.
    This all takes place in a period of about five minutes.

Secondly, the intro
    splash screen of 'Rogue One' was timid and really unnecessary. If the decision to remove the 'Star Wars' splash screen was made then stick with it. Don't remove it when the audience would normally expected it, to then re-insert it five minutes into the film where it isn't expected. You have introduced the world, characters, tone, and then take the audience out of that to remind them they are watching 'Rogue One'?
    Bizarre decision.

Thirdly, I don't understand the purpose of this film. It isn't exactly a story that needs to be told. The Star Wars universe is rich and the creative minds in charge of coming up with a story could go anywhere and to any time (lets not forget it takes place 'A long time ago...'). This story isn't essential to enjoying the main saga. I believe there are two reasons for the direction this movie took in terms of storyline.
    One: The introduction of Kyber Crystals and Jedha in anticipation and preparation for Episode 8. This was a way for the writers to give tacit information about what will happen in Rey's story, i.e. building her lightsaber, Luke hunting down the Jedi Temple (possibly on Jedha), and understanding the more practical side of the force. Two: Transforming and re-marketing the old trilogy. Rogue One injects excitement, tension, and fear into the first chapter of the original Star Wars. If you were to watch Rogue One and move directly on to A New Hope, you can't help but experience the transfer of that tension from one film to the next. It presents even greater fear and danger about Leia's mission and the imminency of the need to destroy the Death Star.

Fourthly, it suffers greatly from pace and it can not hide the production problems it had. Some scenes looked very different
    (particularly, as Baze Malbus walks out to die after seeing Chirrut get hit by the explosive - the background looks very CGI intensive as if it had to be re-shot off location). When you measure scenes from the final product with those of the trailers we have seen, there are a lot of changes. "I rebel", running through the London Underground set, and the TIE-fighter appearing at the top of the antennae ray come to mind. The scene with Vader on (what I think was) Mustafar in the Bacta tank seemed to foreshadow Kylo Ren's recovery in Episode 8 and also an after-thought to include more Vader. The scene serves no purpose whatsoever, except to see how Vader recouperates. Krennic whining about losing the Death Star and wanting to keep control, but Vader considers him to already be in charge anyway is redundant.

Finally, there are a number of other minor issues such as peculiar dialogue, the AT-AT reacting to the missile hit as if it was alive and turns away from pain, moderate amounts of character development being absent, the score being a little underwhelming (just as it is about to take-off into a William's special, it fizzles out into the new score), a genuine confusion as to the relationship between Jyn and Cassian, and the over exposition reminiscent of some of Lucas' work on the prequels.

As for the good? Well, there is a lot of good. K2-SO is fantastic and definitely a subtle nod to HK-47 from Knights of the Old Republic.
    Tarkin was truly excellent. I was very impressed with how detailed he was and even had the ticks done perfectly.
    Felicity Jones was great, as was Donnie Yen. It felt like a decent war movie, not cringey, but not exactly the Thin Red Line either.

I have tickets to see it again on Saturday and I am looking forward to seeing it, but I don't know why. It doesn't have the allure of mystery that a new saga episode might have, even though we never knew how the plans for the DeathStar were stolen in the first place. Perhaps my expectations were too high? Maybe I can't get past the different style? I can't help but shake that this is a completely unnecessary film, but happens to satisfy the more action-orientated desires of fans of this universe. For me, it is a good movie for what it is, i.e a war movie. As crazy as it sounds, I just don't think it is a Star Wars movie, in terms of tone and style, despite it being very much embedded in the Star Wars universe. And there is a small part of me that can't help but think that this movie is designed to enable plot-points and scenarios for the main saga to come. Coupled with the obvious production problems, pacing, and struggle to identify its place, I feel the 'spin-offs' have yet to prove they are fit for purpose with this outing.

6.5/10... for now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Falthyron wrote: »
    I saw this last night at Vue cinemas (thanks for turning on the lights 2-3 minutes before the film ended, by the way...!) and I have spent most of the day mulling over what I saw.

I am divided, I think. I should mention I am a life-long Star Wars fan; have watched the movies religiously and played so many games set in the Star Wars universe. But, there is something about this movie I can't put my thumb on. It is not a bad movie. I didn't walk out of the cinema thinking that was a waste of money or a disappointment. I think it is a good movie, but with serious reservations.

Firstly, the film is quite disjointed. It opens up with numerous scenes jumping between three different planets and the reason for this is difficult to discern.
    Jyn is in a prison on one planet, then we jump to Cassian on another for a quick scene (character building I guess?), then back to Jyn who is no longer in a prison, but now in a transport on another planet, and then finally we arrive on Yavin IV with Jyn (after being freed) where Cassian is.
    This all takes place in a period of about five minutes.

Secondly, the intro
    splash screen of 'Rogue One' was timid and really unnecessary. If the decision to remove the 'Star Wars' splash screen was made then stick with it. Don't remove it when the audience would normally expected it, to then re-insert it five minutes into the film where it isn't expected. You have introduced the world, characters, tone, and then take the audience out of that to remind them they are watching 'Rogue One'?
    Bizarre decision.

Thirdly, I don't understand the purpose of this film. It isn't exactly a story that needs to be told. The Star Wars universe is rich and the creative minds in charge of coming up with a story could go anywhere and to any time (lets not forget it takes place 'A long time ago...'). This story isn't essential to enjoying the main saga. I believe there are two reasons for the direction this movie took in terms of storyline.
    One: The introduction of Kyber Crystals and Jedha in anticipation and preparation for Episode 8. This was a way for the writers to give tacit information about what will happen in Rey's story, i.e. building her lightsaber, Luke hunting down the Jedi Temple (possibly on Jedha), and understanding the more practical side of the force. Two: Transforming and re-marketing the old trilogy. Rogue One injects excitement, tension, and fear into the first chapter of the original Star Wars. If you were to watch Rogue One and move directly on to A New Hope, you can't help but experience the transfer of that tension from one film to the next. It presents even greater fear and danger about Leia's mission and the imminency of the need to destroy the Death Star.

Fourthly, it suffers greatly from pace and it can not hide the production problems it had. Some scenes looked very different
    (particularly, as Baze Malbus walks out to die after seeing Chirrut get hit by the explosive - the background looks very CGI intensive as if it had to be re-shot off location). When you measure scenes from the final product with those of the trailers we have seen, there are a lot of changes. "I rebel", running through the London Underground set, and the TIE-fighter appearing at the top of the antennae ray come to mind. The scene with Vader on (what I think was) Mustafar in the Bacta tank seemed to foreshadow Kylo Ren's recovery in Episode 8 and also an after-thought to include more Vader. The scene serves no purpose whatsoever, except to see how Vader recouperates. Krennic whining about losing the Death Star and wanting to keep control, but Vader considers him to already be in charge anyway is redundant.

Finally, there are a number of other minor issues such as peculiar dialogue, the AT-AT reacting to the missile hit as if it was alive and turns away from pain, moderate amounts of character development being absent, the score being a little underwhelming (just as it is about to take-off into a William's special, it fizzles out into the new score), a genuine confusion as to the relationship between Jyn and Cassian, and the over exposition reminiscent of some of Lucas' work on the prequels.

As for the good? Well, there is a lot of good. K2-SO is fantastic and definitely a subtle nod to HK-47 from Knights of the Old Republic.
    Tarkin was truly excellent. I was very impressed with how detailed he was and even had the ticks done perfectly.
    Felicity Jones was great, as was Donnie Yen. It felt like a decent war movie, not cringey, but not exactly the Thin Red Line either.

I have tickets to see it again on Saturday and I am looking forward to seeing it, but I don't know why. It doesn't have the allure of mystery that a new saga episode might have, even though we never knew how the plans for the DeathStar were stolen in the first place. Perhaps my expectations were too high? Maybe I can't get past the different style? I can't help but shake that this is a completely unnecessary film, but happens to satisfy the more action-orientated desires of fans of this universe. For me, it is a good movie for what it is, i.e a war movie. As crazy as it sounds, I just don't think it is a Star Wars movie, in terms of tone and style, despite it being very much embedded in the Star Wars universe. And there is a small part of me that can't help but think that this movie is designed to enable plot-points and scenarios for the main saga to come. Coupled with the obvious production problems, pacing, and struggle to identify its place, I feel the 'spin-offs' have yet to prove they are fit for purpose with this outing.

6.5/10... for now!

Really well written and all of it fair and a great example of my thing about people saying force awakens was too much like Star Wars and not liking it and rogue one not being Star Wars enough for expectations and not sure if they're liking it.
    I feel like it's a good war movie. I'm not sure if it's a good Star Wars movie. Going again in an hour. Let's see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Far too violent for kids, I seen kids as young as probably 8 or 10 in the cinema. Seeing what Vader did at such a age can leave a scar potentially. Better than Force Awakens. So many people died in the movie!

The Vader scene at the end was absolutely outstanding too, people who love Vader will probably have had an orgasm when they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The Vader scene at the end was absolutely outstanding too, people who love Vader will probably have had an orgasm when they see it.

I am a 38 year man who cannot wait to bring my kids to it tomorrow for that scene alone. . I was at the midnight showing last night.

If people didn't absolutely love the pure awesomeness of that closing act, then they shouldn't bother watching anymore Star Wars ever again . . That was just poetry in motion . . .

I started watching a new Hope earlier and I think it adds so much to that movie alone because you know exactly where the rebel ship that Leiah is on has just come from . . Its just deadly .

Just a suggestion but should "SPOILERS" be added to the thread name ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

david75 wrote: »
    you didn't know this was about the plans to steal the Death Star??
    The control panel was hit. The antenna was the giant dish above her which she moved before it got hit
    I did. As I said, when I first heard of the basic plot outline I wasn't very interested in seeing the film because it sounded like the same old thing all over again. But I was pleasantly surprised by how the story plays out.

I thought the control-panel was at the centre of the structure and the antenna was out toward the ledge. She can't send the data because the antenna needs to be adjusted. She walks out and adjusts it, then the it's blown up, then she walks back to the control panel and sends the data, without an antenna. But if I've got that wrong then that explains things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'm 99% sure the antenna doesn't get blown up at all...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Spoiler:
    In one scene, two stormtroopers are chatting and one of them mentions something going obsolete (I cant remember what he says), I assumed it was referring to a ship or a weapon, or even the clones, but couldn't link it anything. Does anyone know what I'm talking about :confused:? Was this throw away line of dialogue a way to explain how something that is used in the prequels is not used in A New Hope and beyond? Or am i looking into everything:o too much

I thinks it was the K-2SO droids .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rogue One, far more than the actually enthusiastic Force Awakens, seems content to aim for merely 'good enough'. It wants to be a 'good enough' Star Wars film that's just different enough from what came before. It wants to be a 'good enough' war film, and a 'good enough' heist film to boot. The problem is it doesn't quite reach the low bar it sets for itself.

I guess in hindsight it makes sense that this was 'reshot' to some degree, and it's hard to tell how much of this is as Edwards intended (we have to take it for granted that these days the balance between 'director's intentions' and 'studio interference' is worryingly lopsided). It's overly busy, as if constantly trying to figure out what it wants to focus on - there's no breathing room, and instead a busy barrage of half-realised 'stuff'. A hugely disappointing Giacchino score is equal parts lifeless & insistent, and zaps any sense of flow that managed to escape the haphazard narrative construction. Characters talk in exposition as opposed to credible dialogue, and few if any make a lasting impact (and most of the ones who do do so for the wrong reasons) - certainly it has no single hero or villain to make a major impact (Donnie Yen comes closest, his character combing religious fanaticism to the force with some kickass if underutilised martial arts), and the shades of grey aren't very interesting either. It's not bold enough to detach itself from or significantly re-imagine the Star Wars aesthetic, and not quite Star Wars enough to do its familiar sights & sounds justice - it exists instead in an awkward middle ground, occasionally fetching but wildly inconsistent. It never settles on a cohesive identity and the rather lazy fan service lacks wit & substance.

Only rarely does it have anything interesting or fun to say. The Jedha scenes briefly embrace the contemporaneous real world parallels of the 'Empire vs Rebels' conflict in a way no entry in the series has - and while it doesn't have anything at all to say about it, at least its there. The last act is a bit more coherent than the rest, with some solid space-based action in particular that feels like A New Hope in a good way. But it also surmises many of the film's faults. Why watch this timid, shallow war fantasy when you can watch countless superior war films without the Disney blockbuster filter? What happened to the film's allegedly darker tone and visual identity
    in this sun-soaked tropical paradise
    ? Why is it trafficking in such woeful, cheap war movie clichés when it hasn't even remotely earned our emotional attachment?

Of course, it should also be pointed out that Rogue One commits something bordering on a cinematic war crime to boot. There is an appallingly misjudged CGI creation that in its way is worse than Jar Jar Binks. Sure,
    there are ethical concerns in virtually resurrecting Peter Cushing for a posthumous performance. But perhaps more damning are the in-the-moment implications. There is no clear advantage to his inclusion beyond fan service (just hire somebody else if he must be included), and the fact that we must stare so deep into uncanny valley means his appearances instantly pull you out of the scenes. The animation is technically impressive, but not nearly good enough to do what it needs to, and as a result the inescapably creepy, awkward scenes serve as massive distractions in a film that already had enough trouble pulling me in.
    (Even with that it's Forest Whitaker who takes home the worst actor award for his farcically ill-judged appearance here)

The last couple of minutes of Rogue One are probably the best in the film. The montage editing has an urgency and weight absent elsewhere
    Cassian and Jyn's final scenes are visually impressive and almost poignant, although of course would have been more so had the film actually explored that relationship in any depth
    . But of course they have to go and force us to pay one more visit
    to the uncanny valley, with a belated appearance of a dead-eyed Carrie Fisher 3D model
    that once again destroys any hopes that you could become immersed in this wholly unsatisfying Star Wars story.

As I personally feared, the first of the major Star Wars spin-off (a concept which, I hasten to add, has plenty of potential) feels like a mere stop gap, cursed by its fundamental redundancy but not 'good enough' to overcome it. Oh well. At least we only have to wait 12 months for the feature presentation.

Did anybody else like the fact that the movie addresses
    exactly why there was such a ridiculously vulnerable spot on the death star
    (planted by a rebel engineer)? That was considered a plothole by many, even parodied by comedic shows highlighting how ridiculous it was that the death star would have a hole that would blow up the entire thing if a rocket got in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Drumpot wrote: »
    Did anybody else like the fact that the movie addresses
    exactly why there was such a ridiculously vulnerable spot on the death star
    (planted by a rebel engineer)? That was considered a plothole by many, even parodied by comedic shows highlighting how ridiculous it was that the death star would have a hole that would blow up the entire thing if a rocket got in!

Legitimately the best part of the movie for me.
    They've been getting stick about that for years, so to be able to spin an entire (very enjoyable, IMO) movie which will net them a huge amount of cash out of it is nothing short of genius!

That is the best example of turning a weakness into an advantage that I've seen in a long time. I thought it was both hilarious and really added to the Star Wars universe in general.

If people didn't absolutely love the pure awesomeness of that closing act, then they shouldn't bother watching anymore Star Wars ever again . . That was just poetry in motion . . .

I started watching a new Hope earlier and I think it adds so much to that movie alone because you know exactly where the rebel ship that Leiah is on has just come from . . Its just deadly .

I agree that the scene is full of tension and excitement - a tumultuous ending and a great way to end the movie. But...
    It creates a large plot-hole on the continuity. Vader saw the Tantive IV leave the Rebel capital ship with the plans on board. He was within a few metres before it took off. How can Leia (in A New Hope) stand there and argue with Vader that she was on a diplomatic mission? The ship was just in a massive space battle and caught leaving the scene of the crime...

And secondly, the Rebels know why Jyn and her crew go to Scariff, she told them about these plans that can reveal a weakness in the Death Star. Fast forward to A New Hope (which takes place a couple of days/hours after Rogue One) where Leia has to explain to General Dodonna upon arriving at Yavin IV what is inside R2-D2 and what it can do. It seems a little out of whack.

Don't get me wrong, they also address solid continuity issues like
    Red 5 dying in the battle so Luke can take that call-sign.
    So, its not all bad. It just seems like that by being careful about the issue of plot-holes continuity they actually created more/other ones.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just back from it and by the end was blown away by how good it turned out. A little slow to start and I also felt it was projected abnormally on the dark side, but a very satisfying watch.

One major recommendation I have is if you are intending to see it, do it sooner rather than later. There are so many unexpected twists, you'll kick yourself if you hear a spoiler in advance.

Ha, just watching Empire strikes back and my son points out that the callsign of the pilot who finds hans and Luke stuck out in the snow is "Rogue 2". . Rogue 3 fights against the At-Ats. .
    Also, anybody notice some of the pilots at the end who were also in the final battle of deathstar in ANH?).

Falthyron, I agree your second point is hard to explain. EDIT - All that Leia she says in ANH is " you must use the information in this R2 unit to help plan the attack, its our only hope". I don't think that's much of a problem in the context you mentioned. Its like when two people meet with a pressing matter, one of them is looking to embrace the other just wants to get down to business and states what they both know.

I feel the first one could be simply that Leih didn't know
    Vader literally saw her ship flying away. She could be just chancing her arm or she might think he wouldn't take her prisoner when she was such a high profile
    member of the senate (that as far as she was concerned hadn't yet been disbanded).

Seriously though . .
    Vader mowing down rebel cannon fodder . I cant wait to see it again tomorrow . . when you watch a new hope and Vader comes in, it adds far more darkness to his presence. The guy has literally chopped up a bunch of people , opening a door with a lighsaber actually in a rebel as he is opening the door and is now choking a guy to death slowly a few hours later . ..
    . That's a good days work for a psycho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just back

Fell asleep about an hour in then woke up for the credits.

Will have to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Just back

Fell asleep about an hour in then woke up for the credits.

Will have to see it again.

Brilliant.

Have you ever thought about doing movie reviews on a professional basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Brilliant.

Have you ever thought about doing movie reviews on a professional basis?

Hahaha well i didn't want to say anything but
    the first hour was so boring i fell asleep

Its been a long week, I'll give it a proper bash next week :D

Ha, just watching Empire strikes back and my son points out that the callsign of the pilot who finds hans and Luke stuck out in the snow is "Rogue 2". . Rogue 3 fights against the At-Ats. .

Luke forms Rogue Squadron after ANH. He becomes Rogue One. My guess is he names the squadron after those who stole the plans to honour them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I suppose her nickname is
    foreshadowing
    if you think about it?
    Fantastic movie, so much more natural than the main line.

The follow up to Force Awakens really needs to get more Jedi action, more about Jedi history and the philosophy and mystical vibe on it. Not enough of it in the Force Awakens.

• Advertisement

More I think about it, what a great film! It is the human aspect to it that makes it a great movie for me. People willing to sacrifice themselves for what they see as the greater good, the dynamics in the characters, the rebels having less than perfect personalities, the story of Jyn was just great, very relatable in many ways.

The blind guy was fantastic in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Went and seen this today. I would give it 7 out of 10. It is certainly darker than other Star Wars films but also very sad. There is some excellent scenes in it but I felt the CGI in certain parts looked a bit rushed and ropey. I also think they were trying in certain parts to have some humour but they were trying to hard. Loved the last 30 or was it 40 mins. That part alone with the destroyers was worth it. Was disappointing that again we do not get to see the Death star either enter or come out of hyperspace was looking forward to that. Thought the way they ended it was brilliant leads right up to where it should. Would I go see it in the cinema again not sure but I will certainly buy it at some stage maybe on Blu-Ray.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

I'm 99% sure the antenna doesn't get blown up at all...

I'm 1% sure it does.

When the Death Star fires it takes out the antenna and dish With yer man on it. Horse has already bolted though at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

On first watch its up there with Empire Strikes Back for me. Havent felt that range of emotion watching a movie in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I liked it a lot. There are flaws and not paced as well as or as charming as The Force Awakens but there is a lot to appreciate.

Positives: :)

- There are some very good performances particularly Ben Mendelssohn who I preferred a lot more than Donal Gleason in a similar role. Felicity Jones carried the movie well, and Donnie Yen is amazing. Mads Mikkelsen continues to be exceptionally talented and engaging actor in a role that could easily have been mundane in a lesser actor's shoes.

- Unlike the shiny CGI fakeness of the prequels, the world looks gritty, real and lived-in. The tyranny and power of the Empire is clearly evident.

- The direction is overall of a very high quality. There are some beautifully composed shots.

- K-2 is a great addition to the Star Wars cast of droid and is freakin hilarious. Alan Tudyk did a great job with that character.

- The climatic battle was exciting, engaging and had a real sense of being a battle in a war film. It also did a commendable job of keeping all the ensemble characters relevant and not simply focusing on two or three. Having no A-list stars probably helped keeping the even distribution of screen time in this regard.

- I loved all the references to the original trilogy. Some are really obvious, and some more subtle. For example, I noticed the same type of droid that tortured Leia in A New Hope passing by quickly in the background during a crowd shot.

- The scene at the end where
    Vader is cutting down the rebels was absolutely phenomenal. I just loved the panic and fear he instilled in the rebels at that moment and the whole scene was very well directed. In a way, it is such a high peak I kinda wish we saw more of Vader like that by extending his rampage through the rebel ship but I guess they made the decision to keep his appearance to a minimum.

- I loved how the destroyers looked EXACTLY like their 1977 model counterparts including how they are lit. Not too difficult to do with modern CGI but I appreciated the continuity.

Negatives: :(

- Forest Whitaker! Jesus...his performance and character's mannerisms were so over the top and grossly out of touch with the general feel and tone of the rest of the movie. He reminded me of a character more suited to Battlefield Earth! Ugh.

- There are definite pacing problems in the first act and the movie can feel quite episodic (jumping from planet to planet). It doesn't majorly detract from the quality of the movie but it is noticeable.

- There are a few exposition heavy moments. There is one scene that stands out near the end where one of our heroes has to explain a plan to a completely random extra which is obviously there purely for the benefit of the audience because the hero isn't with anyone else in the cast.

- I'm usually a fan of Michael Giacchino's scores but his work here is uninspired, dull and lifeless. A massive drop in quality from John Williams. To be fair, he was a last minute replacement for Alexandre Desplat so I presume the poor quality is related to the time pressure.

- The CGI human faces were too distracting unfortunately. I kept my knowledge of this movie to an absolute minimum so I didn't know these characters where in the movie. I can appreciate the technological advantages made in CGI in this regard, but the human brain is just too good at recognising that a CGI human face is just not 100% photorealistic. It might work for apes and Gollum, but we aren't there yet with humans.
    Having said that, I think I audibly gasped when I saw Leia and how incredible she looked...until she looked up, smiled and spoke her single word of dialogue and we're back in uncanny valley again

- Our band of heroes, while certainly fulfilling their purpose with some cool moments, won't go down as one of the best character ensembles in cinema. Don't expect a Fellowship of the Ring or The Avengers in this regard.
    Their deaths should have emotionally resonated more with me than it did.

Overall, I'd place it fourth in the SW saga behind A New Hope, Empire and The Force Awakens. Very enjoyable movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭wingnut32

I went in to see this with low expectations and I'm glad to say this film was up with the best of star wars for me. The last 30 minutes is a star wars fans wet dream!!

The moments with the walkers in this movie has the effect of highlighting how absolutely absurd Return of the Jedi was with the ewoks defeating them with rocks and slingshots.

The moments with the walkers in this movie has the effect of highlighting how absolutely absurd Return of the Jedi was with the ewoks defeating them with rocks and slingshots.

Ssshhh. He'll hear you and go back and do another special edition with a huge bloated battle in its place!!

That said the point of that battle was to have the smallest creatures beneath the empires notice be the ones help bring it down. Same as with the hobbits in LOTR

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    Ssshhh. He'll hear you and go back and do another special edition with a huge bloated battle in its place!!

That said the point of that battle was to have the smallest creatures beneath the empires notice be the ones help bring it down. Same as with the hobbits in LOTR

I know his motivation but that doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Advertisement