Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

With
    Stranger Things
    I could go back, rewatch and
    slowly adjust to the feelings at the end.

Rogue One probably isn't gonna be out for a while though.
    *big sigh* :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I loved it.

Some things took a while to get used to but I didn't think were an issue in terms of my overall enjoyment.

It is a different Star Wars movie. It is a bit more grown up, as others have said it's a war movie in the Star Wars universe. The final act is spellbinding. The final few scenes in particular were wonderful. Ah I just loved it. I'd rate it above ANH, but ESB remains my favourite as it is pretty much faultless from start to finish. The middle act in R1 didn'the grab me as much as the start or finish.

But comparisons are pointless. I really liked TFA, although I preferred R1 (albeit I've of only seen it once), but TFA was about setting the scene for 8 and 9, developing Rey and Ren etc. It is also set in a different Star Wars era to the OT. R1 is an OT movie and if you like the OT you should like R1.

One negative in R1...I didn't love the Score...but maybe it will grow on me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'm baffled by some of the gushing praise. Rogue One was inept start to finish, the score was weak, the acting stilted, the plot pedestrian and the characters wafer thin and as a result the film was really dull and dour.
    When the most well developed character is a droid sidekick, you're in trouble.
    In fact all the character development happened in the novel Catalyst, which 99% of viewers will not have even heard of and this was the biggest problem with the movie, so many scenes that were clearly ment to have emotional heft simply don't because of this. In fact apart from the main character I can't even recall the names of any of the others. They are largely there to
    deliver a couple of lines of exposition and die, the less said about replacing the irreplaceable Peter Cushing with a walking uncanny valley the better.
    One for the less critical die hard fans.
    I'll be curious to see if the box office falls off more than 40% In it's second week or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So... Best star wars movie yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

So... Best star wars movie yet?

Nope. It is, and always will be, Empire Strikes Back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Thought it was good, not amazing. I would say 7/10.

Echo what others say about tone, much more adult like and different from the franchise to date. Dont know if the kids will love this.

It is being compared against TFA which I thought was highly overrated other than putting things in the right direction again after the prequels. Rogue one and TFA are such different movies, I dont really think they can be compared.

I guess it may be a case of either loving the same thing being rehashed over or going in a new more adult direction.

May go to see it again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

conorhal wrote: »
    I'm baffled by some of the gushing praise. Rogue One was inept start to finish, the score was weak, the acting stilted, the plot pedestrian and the characters wafer thin and as a result the film was really dull and dour.
    When the most well developed character is a droid sidekick, you're in trouble.
    In fact all the character development happened in the novel Catalyst, which 99% of viewers will not have even heard of and this was the biggest problem with the movie, so many scenes that were clearly ment to have emotional heft simply don't because of this. In fact apart from the main character I can't even recall the names of any of the others. They are largely there to
    deliver a couple of lines of exposition and die, the less said about replacing the irreplaceable Peter Cushing with a walking uncanny valley the better.
    One for the less critical die hard fans.
    I'll be curious to see if the box office falls off more than 40% In it's second week or not.
    Sounds like having read the book beforehand was the mistake for your enjoyment of the film.

Have seen it mentioned quite a few times now though so will be going off in search of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

A solid 8/10 for me.

What stops it being top marks for me was some really poor scripting - albeit trying to be dated Star Wars dialogue. I thought forest Whitaker was the poorest of them all.

The good:

Madds Mikkelsen
    Ben Mandelson
    Best action sequences of any Star Wars film to date.
    The over all darkness of the film
    The attention to detail, especially the Imperial gear.
    The Star fighter sequences
    The Death Star
    The new locations
    Tarkin

The bad:

Poor script (forgivable)
    Poor dialogue
    Obvious plot holes
    Average score
    Story a bit disjointed
    Obvious reshoots

All over tho I really enjoyed it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I enjoyed it. Felt it was a little slow at times but the last 3rd of the film (once they decide
    to go after the plans on their own
    ) is some of my favorite star wars stuff ever. I'm not a huge fan so I'm sure I missed a lot of Ester eggs but I thought the stuff I did pick up on was very nicely done.

I have a question about the pilot
    when he delivers the message and then he's subjected to that mind reader creature, it's said that people who go through it have a tendency to lose their minds. So is he affected by it? I ask because I remember him being a bit off for a while but then being fairly sane for the rest of the film.

Overall a good solid 8/10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

On the left. Where do I know that little droid from? ;)
    DE72B8D9-B4D5-408A-9ADE-A222737EC43B_zpsvcvrnses.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I have a question about the pilot
    when he delivers the message and then he's subjected to that mind reader creature, it's said that people who go through it have a tendency to lose their minds. So is he affected by it? I ask because I remember him being a bit off for a while but then being fairly sane for the rest of the film.

Yes, I'm reading the book right now and apparently
    the creature pulls one's memories apart as it investigates them and it takes effort to reintegrate them, he has some memory loss and is in shock. They are all much more battered physically in the book too.

david75 wrote: »
    <snip of a droid we may have been looking for>
    Probably off to wherever General Syndulla was being called to
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Great film, really happy with it.
    Tarkin was fantastic - looked really well - only the eyes looked dodgy.
    Vader's introduction was amazing, that planet and the bacta tank ... awesome.

I was resigned to not seeing him with the lightsaber and then that scene at the end !!! wow!

My only slight disappointment was that the emperor wasn't in it, it would have been nice - even if only as a holo-transmission to Vader.
    Oh yeah and after doing such a good job on Tarkin how did they **** up Leia so much ??

Slydice wrote: »
    Probably off to wherever General Syndulla was being called to
    :D

On the top left..fuzzy but it's the ghost

So be the end of the decade if you wanna watch Star Wars chronologically it'll be

1 2 3 Rogue One Han Obi Wan 4 5 6 7 8 9

On the top left..fuzzy but it's the ghost
    Awe cool! I only read about it today. Was bulling I'd missed it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Nope. It is, and always will be, Empire Strikes Back.

Return of the Jedi is the one I think is the best.

I think if the Blu-Ray for Roque One is good that means plenty of extra,s and maybe an extended movie and not like the one for TFA which was very poor I will buy it.
    Paramounts Blu Ray for Star Trek Beyond recently was excellent and 2009s Star Trek Blu-Ray is also excellent but the one for the film between them in the middle was terrible.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

So be the end of the decade if you wanna watch Star Wars chronologically it'll be

The Han movie is set before Rogue One and Obi Wan is yet to be confirmed and your forgetting The Clone Wars

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There won't be a lot in the Han movie with that sequence other than him buying a drink in the cantina.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In 2005, George Lucas revealed that Star Wars “was really about the Vietnam War….”
    Wasn't that quote about Return of the Jedi only? You know, the little guys in the jungle fighting the mechanised behemoth?

The original Star Wars was seen as a cross between the genres of samurai film (light sabres) and WWII naval fighter movies (X-Wing -v- TIE-Fighter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm a big fan of Mendlsohn, I think he's brilliant. But casting him as a new character
    destined to die
    seems pointless.
    Does he actually die?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I absolutely loved it, it started slow and I can imagine a lot of people who aren't huge fans tuned out around the 40 minute mark but the third act is some of the best Star Wars ever.

As far as problems go
    obviously the Tarkin stuff is a little jarring, I don't think the cgi is as bad as some people do but it's very difficult to recreate a human face but they got it 95% right. The thing is Tarkin is so instrumental to this movie that it really can't be done without him, but I think they could have done more camera tricks, like his face in the reflection, to get around the issue.

The Imperial droid (KS20?) wasn't all that likeable for me, reminded me too much of Sheldon from the big bang theory, but even still I felt for his death scene.

Forest Whitaker, blah

Apart from that it's all thumbs up from me.
    The fan service stuff was dealt with a lot better that TFA, little things like Mr. Death sentences on 12 systems gave me a good smile. The only really ham-fisted bit was R2 and C3PO but I'll let them away with it if only to keep up the streak of them being in every movie.

This movie also fixes the major flaw of ANH, the weak spot, and to me it's done really organically. And that's what I love most about this movie, it's an Extended Universe novel made into a movie and it does exactly what the novels do, it makes the OT better, not that it needed any help. For the first time we see the full might of the Empire, they have a planet just for storing data! And we also see just how disorganised the Rebels are, they nearly disband right before the start of ANH.

While the characters weren't very well developed I think it's best to look at them as a collective squad for the most part, this is a war movie, and I'm satisfied with all their deaths, none of them felt cheap. Jyn and Cassian's death scene was genuinely beautiful. Credit to Disney for not shying away from what I feared they might, whatever you may think about them they've done nothing but good for the series.

The movie makes me want to watch the OT again and gives me a greater appreciation for them, I'll probably watch the OT and then go see this again over Christmas.

Oh and let's not forget
    Vader being as horrifying as ever in the end, I'm glad they brought him back after making a fool of him in Revenge, but I realised I was giddy watching him ruthlessly kill the Rebels, and thata probably not the right way to feel about a villain :D Having the movie seamlessly tie into ANH was such a great move and it's beautifully done, I loved it.

Did anyone else notice that most of the rebel pilots had long sideburns and moustaches? Probably to tie in with the "look" from the late 70s? :) I was nearly expecting one of them to say "chocks away old chap".

Did anyone else notice that most of the rebel pilots had long sideburns and moustaches? Probably to tie in with the "look" from the late 70s? :) I was nearly expecting one of them to say "chocks away old chap".

A lot of those shots were unused footage from the original movie!

Great film, really happy with it.
    Tarkin was fantastic - looked really well - only the eyes looked dodgy.
    Vader's introduction was amazing, that planet and the bacta tank ... awesome.

I was resigned to not seeing him with the lightsaber and then that scene at the end !!! wow!

My only slight disappointment was that the emperor wasn't in it, it would have been nice - even if only as a holo-transmission to Vader.
    Oh yeah and after doing such a good job on Tarkin how did they **** up Leia so much ??

Really? Thought leis looked perfect! Couldn't tell it was CGI at all.

Yeah I loved that attention to detail.

A lot of those shots were unused footage from the original movie!

Yes, but not just those, the modern day actors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

It's nice to live in a world where they are making good Star Wars films again.

This was ace, and despite having a Death Star being the fulcrum of the plot, this was so different from previous SW entries.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    The Han movie is set before Rogue One and Obi Wan is yet to be confirmed and your forgetting The Clone Wars

I loved the clone wars series but does anybody count that as a film? Nobody I know does but ok.

Th rumour we got was that all these standalones are happening after ROTS and before a new hope. So we know Han is going n there(be cool if his final scene was walking into the cantina) and it's looking like we're gonna see Ezra Kanan and Maul come to find Obi Wan on Tatooine in his watch over Luke. So there's 19 years to play with. I imagine they'll put Obi Wans film happening almost the same time as Rogue One so the three standalones effectively end at just the same time.

• Advertisement

I'm not looking forward to these character specific movies, don't like the idea of iconic characters getting new actors. Obviously Alec Guinness was replaced with Ewan McGregor but he only featured heavily in one movie, Harrison Ford has played Han in a lead role for 4 movies. Also there was a huge time leap from Alec's to Ewan's Kenobi, the Han Solo movie will presumably take place just before ANH, I can't see myself getting over that.

Advertisement