Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Wobani
    Obiwan

Are they telling us?

I mean it's right there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

McLoughlin wrote: »
    The original cut seemed to have had more of the third act set on the planet with the rebels stealing the plans from one building and escaping to another building were the communication tower was but in the edit the two buildings were amalgamated into one building.

You know, that would make sense.

I was wondering why the death star didn't just target the building the rebels were actually in.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

ads20101 wrote: »
    You know, that would make sense.

I was wondering why the death star didn't just target the building the rebels were actually in.

Well as we've seen, I don't think it's that precise :p
    Even when the targeted the top of the tower and took out Krennic, the rest of the beam that hit miles away ended up wiping out the entire area. Not sure they can focus on just one building.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Were you not a fan of Force Awakens whose whole plot is one ginormous call back(rehash) of the plots of Star Wars and Return of the Jedi , yet the call backs in this, that all make sense in the context of the film, are 'sadly witless' . Sorry Johnny but I find it hard to wrap my head around that one. So fan service on a huge scale is fine but a few nods is bad ?

Couple of reasons for my opinions on this :)

I've said before that Disney can only play the 'nostalgia jamboree' card once before it outstays its welcome (once was too much for many viewers). I believe Episode VIII will have to be something MUCH bolder than its predecessor and cannot rely on the 'Star Wars is back!' novelty. Given the series is now established as 'back', I think it's disappointing Rogue One relies as much as it does on what's gone before when it should be trying to be more of its own thing.

When familiar characters show up in TFA, they have something to do. We learn something about them, where they are at decades later. In Rogue One they mostly just kind of pop up for a scene or two, recite some exposition and move on to A New Hope.

The Force Awakens is derivative for sure, but put together with energy, enthusiasm and flair. It is cohesive and focused (a few second act asides excepted). IMO Rogue One is derivative too (beyond Star Wars - tonnes of war movie cliches in there too), but is clunky, confused and feels weirdly compromised so its familiarity becomes less forgivable. Ultimately, the difference for me is that TFA's throwbacks are mostly deeply embedded in the narrative, whereas in Rogue One they feel forced and get in the way.

Once again, can only stress its low down my list of concerns with this film, but is a minor contributing factor to what I felt was a hot mess of a film. I know that's a minority opinion in this thread, but just could not warm to it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Been a while since i saw A New Hope, so this may be obvious.

Vader's destroyer is chasing the Lea's freighter with the plans on it. But when Vader catches Lea, she thinks she can get away with saying they're on a diplomatic mission to Alderan..

Seems odd as as we now know that they're being chased from the off?

Anyone clear this up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Been a while since i saw A New Hope, so this may be obvious.

Vader's destroyer is chasing the Lea's freighter with the plans on it. But when Vader catches Lea, she thinks she can get away with saying they're on a diplomatic mission to Alderan..

Seems odd as as we now know that they're being chased from the off?

Anyone clear this up?

What else is she going to say? It's just an excuse. Vader doesn't buy it one bit anyways.
    Maybe she's using the 'ol "Diplomatic Immunity" line from Lethal Weapon 2?

She's just trying to blag a way out. She's lying and he knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Seen this last night.

For the main part of the movie its an enjoyable solid 7.5/10 . For the final 20 mins i would give it 10/10.

I went into it with an open mind and i think its one of my favourtie star wars movies.

Really enjoyable popcorn movie, with some good casting in there. It looked like to me some of the spacecraft shots were done using models like in the original, can anyone confirm this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Recasting Tarkin with Charles Dance instead of CGI would have been absolutely perfect. He has the charisma and screen presence to pull off the sneering confident Tarkin.

• Advertisement

I think they were in a lose lose no matter what they did with Tarkin. But remember it's lucasfilm. And they've always pushed the boundaries. Sure Tarkin wasn't 100% there but it was 98% there for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That Vader scene gave me goose bumps.. Not too much power, just enough..
    Absolutely class..
    Wonderful control by the director...

Tarkin was fine to me, you could definitely notice it was CGI but it's incredibly good CGI all the same. The movie couldn't be done without Tarkin, but I feel like they could have done a bit of a Blofeld on him rather than focus so much on the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

david75 wrote: »
    I think they were in a lose lose no matter what they did with Tarkin. But remember it's lucasfilm. And they've always pushed the boundaries. Sure Tarkin wasn't 100% there but it was 98% there for me.
    Tarkin was fine to me, you could definitely notice it was CGI but it's incredibly good CGI all the same. The movie couldn't be done without Tarkin, but I feel like they could have done a bit of a Blofeld on him rather than focus so much on the face.

Agreed! It wasn't perfect but the only way they'll make it perfect is by doing it imperfectly over and over until they get that last 2%. I'll happily take 98% for now!
    That Vader scene gave me goose bumps.. Not too much power, just enough..
    Absolutely class..
    Wonderful control by the director...

Perfection of a scene.

The third anthology film, Rogue Two, explains how they were able to find the flaw with the second Death Star.

The third anthology film, Rogue Two, explains how they were able to find the flaw with the second Death Star.

It was built about 6 times as fast as the first one, it was probably just made of paper mache.

It was built about 6 times as fast as the first one, it was probably just made of paper mache.

It was built 6 times smaller, and placed 6 times closer to the camera.

Pablo Hidalgo pointed out the Death Star was actually built relatively quickly. But they're stuck on the weapon for most of the 19 years hence getting Galen involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Seen this last night.

For the main part of the movie its an enjoyable solid 7.5/10 . For the final 20 mins i would give it 10/10.

I went into it with an open mind and i think its one of my favourtie star wars movies.

Really enjoyable popcorn movie, with some good casting in there. It looked like to me some of the spacecraft shots were done using models like in the original, can anyone confirm this ?

Long time listener, first time caller.
    Saw it this morning - not a star wars addict but thought it was great.
    Strangely I thought the casting was suspect - although all great actors.
    Found some slices of the film were 'hat tips' to other one - one scene during the last battle there was a definite apicolipse now throwback (over active imagination and a solid hangover might account for that!)
    Don't honestly think it will gravitate to a smaller screen - although it will still be enjoyable.
    Had a 6 year old with me who loved it - bit too much shooting was his adendum!

We see K2 dying in Rogue One.

And somehow that Death hit harder than us watching Han die.

So what are the odds they're working and re editing 8 in light of how people have reacted to rogue one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Did anyone ever cop that the callsign of one of the snowspeeders in Empire is Rogue 2?

You'll hear it when they are looking for Luke and Han on Hoth.

zerks wrote: »
    Did anyone ever cop that the callsign of one of the snowspeeders in Empire is Rogue 2?

You'll hear it when they are looking for Luke and Han on Hoth.

Rogue Leader (Rogue One) was Luke Skywalker :eek::eek:

Just back from second viewing.

Feckin. Deadly.

Not sure if it's gotten a mention but one thing I noticed immediately is when Jyn is sitting in her cell near the start of the movie, next to the snoring alien lad, I'm 99% sure the pattern on her cell door is that of the Death Star corridor lights.

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

EDIT: Ah never mind, just found this picture of it and it's a bit different, thought I'd spotted something there :p

Rogue1Jail.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

david75 wrote: »
    So what are the odds they're working and re editing 8 in light of how people have reacted to rogue one?

Jesus I hope not. They should let the most talented director to have ever been handed responsibility of a Star Wars film work away on making the film he wants as opposed to any focus-grouped re-edits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

First 1/3 good, 2nd 1/3 bit meh but last 1/3 brilliant. Film very much redeemed by a great last 20mins. Vader scene was magnificent. Film as a whole needed more Vader but all in all it wasnt bad and definitley better than the force awakens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Talisman

Spoiler:
    In one scene, two stormtroopers are chatting and one of them mentions something going obsolete (I cant remember what he says), I assumed it was referring to a ship or a weapon, or even the clones, but couldn't link it anything. Does anyone know what I'm talking about :confused:? Was this throw away line of dialogue a way to explain how something that is used in the prequels is not used in A New Hope and beyond? Or am i looking into everything:o too much
    They were referring to the T-16 skyhopper replacing the T-15.

T-16 skyhopper

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

While you could notice the CGI on Tarkin it was never a problem for me, and I actually didn't really notice it by the end. And we even got to hear the immortal line
    you may fire ready

Looking forward to the original directors cut off this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Looking forward to the original directors cut off this.

I doubt we'll ever get it to be honest. Unless a workprint is leaked online.

Advertisement