Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Roar wrote: »
    I doubt we'll ever get it to be honest. Unless a workprint is leaked online.

Going on the reaction to the final 10 mins, Disney would be mad not to release it.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I think having Peter Cushing's likeness is what really made the movie for me. Seeing him on a cinema screen again in that role for the first time since 1977 was a bit special.

It also made me think if Obi Wan is to return as a Force Ghost, then we may have seen how they'll do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Wedwood wrote: »
    I think having Peter Cushing's likeness is what really made the movie for me. Seeing him on a cinema screen again in that role for the first time since 1977 was a bit special.

It also made me think if Obi Wan is to return as a Force Ghost, then we may have seen how they'll do it.

I think I'd rather Ewan McGregor with makeup as Obi Wan if he returns ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

david75 wrote: »
    I think they were in a lose lose no matter what they did with Tarkin. But remember it's lucasfilm. And they've always pushed the boundaries. Sure Tarkin wasn't 100% there but it was 98% there for me.

Unfortunately, for me, it was like leaping between two tall buildings an making it 98% of the way across, in otherwords, best not done in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

On the Tarkin thing...

As someone who watched the original 3 star wars religiously as a child and maybe bits and pieces of them since it just never even struck me that Peter Cushing was a CGI thing... it had been so long since I watched them I'd forgotten most of the original cast.
    Obviously more hardcore Star Wars fans were more aware of what was going on with him than I was!
    Unless you're looking for it, it's flawless imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

They really have done the Blake's 7 with the cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

conorhal wrote: »
    Unfortunately, for me, it was like leaping between two tall buildings an making it 98% of the way across, in otherwords, best not done in the first place.

The 2% will only come when we aren't prepared for it, and they make a 100% CGI human character that isn't an already-existing (or already existed) person.

We know that Peter Cushing is dead, and that Carrie Fisher isn't 19 anymore. So our brains tell us that it isn't real, and we look out for the flaws. Of course, we see those flaws as the cgi isn't 100% yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭blue note

Wow, I didn't know yer man is dead and it never dawned on me watching it. That's seriously impressive cgi considering I never questioned it.

On the film as a whole I thought the first two thirds of the movie were boring. But the battle at the end was really good. I don't know why they're so hesitant to use vader - he's by far the best thing about the whole franchise. But between the three prequels and this we had 20 seconds of him in revenge of the sith and 5 minutes of him here. That's in about 9 or 10 hours of film.

I also didn't realise this was a standalone film, I thought it was the start of another franchise. So I thought this was going to be part 1 of another trilogy. Imagine my surprise at the end when it becomes clear there's no sequel!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I found CG-Tarkin 100% distracting personally, but...
    Unless you're looking for it, it's flawless imo.

... that may be true enough. I watched the film with someone much less familiar with the cast and characters of the original trilogy, and they had no idea Tarkin was CGI until I told them afterwards.

But then again, they wouldn't have cared or noticed at all if they'd used a different actor either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I thought Tarkin was incredibly jarring and took me right out of the movie. When they first showed him in reflection I thought it was pretty clever and that they'd leave him at that. But the more I saw of him the more off putting it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

IMHO cgi Tarkin was necessary

I thought it was obvious, but exceptionally well done

Saying that, there is precedent in the SW films that when production technology is improved, so are the films.

So, look out for a seemless version in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Tarkin...Leia... CGI bad ... blah blah blah.

Do people not have a similar problem with people wearing rubber masks on their head, or Kermit Yoda training Luke in the previous movies etc? It's a movie, you know it's not real, you can cope with people talking to puppets and a tall bloke wearing a carpet, but some very, very good CGI in order to be able to include a dead actor in the movie is a problem??!?!!!??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I'm well used to the actor Guy Henry from watching Holby City and when I saw Tarkin, I assumed it was just Guy Henry in make up and was surprised that it was all CGI.

Guy Henry a good choice though Peter Capaldi would be my number one choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

Tarkin just didn't work. As someone said above, Charles Dance would've been perfect for that role. I'm stunned anyone could be fooled by that CGI.

robinph wrote: »

Do people not have a similar problem with people wearing rubber masks on their head, or Kermit Yoda training Luke in the previous movies etc? It's a movie, you know it's not real, you can cope with people talking to puppets and a tall bloke wearing a carpet, but some very, very good CGI in order to be able to include a dead actor in the movie is a problem??!?!!!??!

It didn't bother me...I think it's the hardcore Star Wars fans who are used to seeing Tarkin/Leia find it "jarring"... I didn't even notice Tarkin was CGI until pointed out to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

People had problems with CGI prequel Yoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think its more a problem in our subconscious, we're not expecting wookies or whatever to be real so there's no problem, but when the eye seems something thats masquerading as human, the lizard brain starts screaming that something's not quite right.

personally I feel that they should have done all of tarkins scenes via reflection or grainy communications console, and leia would have been better observed from a distance recording the message that was shown in A new hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

.ak wrote: »
    Really? Thought leis looked perfect! Couldn't tell it was CGI at all.

Had the same conversation after the film.. I though Tarkin looked good and Leia didn't.. my friend though the reverse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I think its more a problem in our subconscious, we're not expecting wookies or whatever to be real so there's no problem, but when the eye seems something thats masquerading as human, the lizard brain starts screaming that something's not quite right.

Yes, it's called "uncanny valley" and has been referenced a few times already in this thread.

CGI Yoda was just too cartoon like. At least the puppet was in the same room as the actors around it.

And Chewie is real. :)

I don't know how anyone could say that the Leia CG was bad... It was literally a two second cameo... I really don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I don't know how anyone could say that the Leia CG was bad... It was literally a two second cameo... I really don't get it.

If you went in cold, you'd have a hard time telling either was CG.

But hey, its LucasFilm. They'll put CG on anything. There was no way they'd get a stand in actor if they could remake Tarkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

At least the CGI didn't creep me out as much as young Robert Downey Jr in Civil War so it gets a thumbs up from me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Knew that Tarkin was CGI, but no problem with it. Would mess up the story though if they had made him all mysterious and in reflection only for the amount of time he was around in R1, but then properly on screen just a day later in ANH as a mere nasty diplomat. Would change the balance of evil for ANH from Darth to Tarkin being the main baddie. The extra scenes of Darth though just added to his presence in ANH.

A distant or reflection shot for Leia would have been fine for R1 as she was only there for a second anyway and the character is properly introduced an hour later in ANH. I wasn't certain at first glance if she was CGI or not though and was trying to recall how similar/ what age Fishers daughter was and if a bit of makeup could have solved the age difference.

Radiosonde wrote: »
    People had problems with CGI prequel Yoda.

Stupid flying frog with a lightsaber sequence was bad alright. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It didn't bother me...I think it's the hardcore Star Wars fans who are used to seeing Tarkin/Leia find it "jarring"

To me, Tarkin just jumped off the screen as a cartoon in a live action film, very distracting, and Leia looked like some Japanese pervert's doll.

They should either have recast Tarkin or kept the cartoon to glimpses and reflections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

It has been confirmed that work will continue on Tarkin and Leia before the blu Ray release.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Also Felicity Jones has a sequel clause in her contract. Reys mother confirmed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

david75 wrote: »
    It has been confirmed that work will continue on Tarkin and Leia before the blu Ray release.

Ugh. So the initial BR release will already be a digital remaster..

I guess other movies have released different cuts on video/DVD than cinema (with the cinema print never making it to home media) but it is just because Lucas Film have such a bad rep for this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

In their defence fans Know and are told in advance that the special edition with all the extras comes a long time down the road. 6 months in the case of force awakens. You can't accuse them of anything when fans know this and buy the first version on initial release anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

So we have episode 8 next year and another star wars spin off the following year. Anyone know what the other spin off film is about ?

Advertisement