Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

404378.jpg
    david75 wrote: »
    We see K2 dying in Rogue One.

And somehow that Death hit harder than us watching Han die.

So what are the odds they're working and re editing 8 in light of how people have reacted to rogue one?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Not R2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think it's one area where the prequels excel, the soundtracks are absolutely excellent and really make some of the better scenes of those movies (Obi Wan vs. Anakin in ROTS springs to mind, the score is near flawless and really brings the scene to life). TFA in comparison is generally decent but unremarkable, and Rogue One was even less memorable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Saw it tonight, thought it was very good.

On the CGI used for Tarkin and Leia, my wife didn't realise until I told her afterwards, so it's good enough to fool people who don't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,454 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

CatInABox wrote: »
    Saw it tonight, thought it was very good.

On the CGI used for Tarkin and Leia, my wife didn't realise until I told her afterwards, so it's good enough to fool people who don't know about it.

This 100%

It's good enough to fool people who aren't looking out for it and that's good enough. If people are going in looking for flaws they will see them. I honestly can't believe some of the criticism this film has gotten here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I knew I recognised CGI Tarkin from somewhere

gmannew.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yeh, I agree mostly. It's a servicable score, but it really makes you miss the expertise of John Williams and the familair stings.

Wonder why he passed on this one, or was passed over?
    There was one standout part, where the two Star Destroyers are crashing into the shield ring. It's very reverential. like it's reminding you that thousands of people are dying here.

He wasn't passed over at all just that he's 85 or something and already signed up doing other scores. He's working on 8 the last week or two and going back in march to do more.

That said a lot of people thought his FA score was weak.

I'll take weak john Williams over great anyone else. For Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

The one standout track from TFA is Rey's theme for me, absolutely love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

A pretty comprehensive list of easter eggs: http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-easter-eggs/

The one standout track from TFA is Rey's theme for me, absolutely love it.

Absolutely. And Jedi steps. Walked up those steps on skellig listening to it last May. That'll stay with me.

*pretty sure there's an echo/reprise of it somewhere in R1. It's really like it. Can't remember the scene but me ear went straight to it. I'll watch closer for it next time.

Burgo wrote: »
    A pretty comprehensive list of easter eggs: http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-easter-eggs/

I f*ckin loved all the Easter eggs and love that they do that. Imagine how crap it would be if they didn't at all. They'd be accused of not giving a sh!t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Did we know before this movie that the Death Star uses Kyber Crystals or is that new information? Either way pretty messed up how what was once used for lightsabers, a symbol of peace, is now being use don a planet-killer.

Did we know before this movie that the Death Star uses Kyber Crystals or is that new information? Either way pretty messed up how what was once used for lightsabers, a symbol of peace, is now being use don a planet-killer.

It's kinda a new idea. Can't recommend reading Catalyst enough.

They've also been working it into the Rebels series and clone wars. It's been there a good while. Just the lucasfilm story group playing the really long game winding all these threads together.

Way it works now the padewan goes to find his crystal. It chooses him or her. They're white to begin with and the colour changes to adapt to them.
    If they go bad th crystal bleeds and goes red.

This would have been awesome. Witta is one of the writers
    https://instagram.com/p/BOQcILqDxdX/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think it's one area where the prequels excel, the soundtracks are absolutely excellent and really make some of the better scenes of those movies (Obi Wan vs. Anakin in ROTS springs to mind, the score is near flawless and really brings the scene to life). TFA in comparison is generally decent but unremarkable, and Rogue One was even less memorable.

Duel of the Fates from the phantom menace is without question the best thing about that movie. It's a phenominal track.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

A fan service mess. very mediocre action sci-fi film.
    no characters I cared about. It was nice to see Dave Batista from wrestling reprise his role as Drax the Destroyer from Guardians of the Galaxy though. He was a robot this time but its sci-fi so I could get behind that.

Speaking of getting behind characters, there wasn't one you gave even half a sh*t about. Oh no, I liked the Hammerhead Corvette. That ship was great and had bags of personality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

You saw it coming ? well your a more cynical man then me then , given how they had been portrayed in the past I was expecting the rebel informant to go suicide by stormtrooper after being wounded to allow Cassian to escape. As for the framing of it , I'd argue lucas's framing of the Han Greedo scene signposts whats to come far more as we actually see him reaching for his blaster under the table. At least here we(well most of us) don't realise whats happened till we hear the blast and he slumps to the ground.

I can't see how it's predictable at all: one of the nominal heroes in a Star Wars movie casually murders a physically and mentally-disabled man supposedly on the same side because he's an inconvenience?

And Cassian is not even one of the extreme rebels. Those guys torture prisoners with mindsucking tentacle monsters and run about lobbing grenades at stormtroopers with total disregard for potential civilian casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Don't watch unless you've watched Rogue One

https://vimeo.com/196357074

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Finally had a second viewing of it last night. One little thing I noticed is when Jyn, Cassian & K2SO walk out in front of the Stormtroopers on Jedha there is the funny bit where they ask K2SO where are they taking the prisoners. Then Chirrut starts a fight and the 3 others take cover. When the fight is over they come out from their hiding place and K2SO takes off handcuffs. I didn't see them with handcuffs on or getting them put on. Was this a mistake or have I missed something?

Overall I enjoyed it more the 2nd time as I wasn't in the mindset of what was missing from the trailers, and the Tarkin cgi taking me out of the film. I could enjoy it for what it was. It does have lots of problems as people mentioned but if anything the biggest problem I will find is that it may not be as infinitely rewatchable as the others, saving the last act.

This 100%

It's good enough to fool people who aren't looking out for it and that's good enough. If people are going in looking for flaws they will see them. I honestly can't believe some of the criticism this film has gotten here.

So I'm supposed to ignore that the fact that I noticed because other people didn't? I made a point of asking my gf if she noticed if any of the human actors were CGI. At a push, she mentioned the evil general but she didn't really notice. So what? I thought it was a terrible decision not to recast him regardless.

I honestly feel like I saw a different film to some people on here. I think I'm expecting too much of this franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

On the CGI uncanny valley thing, different people notice different things. Just because it jumped off the screen at me doesn't mean it jumped off the screen and distracted everyone. Equally, just because someone here says they personally didn't see it, or saw it and didn't care, doesn't mean it was a good idea.
    I think everyone would have been happy if Tarkin had stayed in shadows, reflections and so on - he didn't actually do anything except talk and look at stuff.

• Advertisement

I read Catalyst before rogue one and it's a prologue and gets into the power struggle between Tarkin and Krennic. Doing the audiobook of the novelisation of the film and you see Tarkin has to be in it. Him and Krennic hate each other and Krennic wants access to the emperor to assure his rise in the ranks and Tarkin and Vader arentchaving that but for different reasons.

Also next time you watch a new hope watch for the empty chair in the conference scene on the Death Star (this battle station is now the ultimate power in the galaxy). Krennics not there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

So I'm supposed to ignore that the fact that I noticed because other people didn't? I made a point of asking my gf if she noticed if any of the human actors were CGI. At a push, she mentioned the evil general but she didn't really notice. So what? I thought it was a terrible decision not to recast him regardless.

I honestly feel like I saw a different film to some people on here. I think I'm expecting too much of this franchise.

No you are not supposed to ignore that you noticed.

But you are supposed to go into the movie and ignore the things that you know from the real world about which actors are alive and dead or who plays which part or that there are not really any jedis or sith or big slugs with mind reading tentacles. Going into the movie knowing that an actor died years ago so therefore cannot be playing that part takes you out of the movie world, so have your memory chip wiped before going in and just enjoy and appreciate the movie for what it is and not get wound up about Carrie Fisher not actually being 19 anymore etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

This 100%

I can absolutely see the logic in their choice . Throwing prosthetics on an already gaunt actor like Wayne Pygram in episode 3 was all well and good as that was set over 20 years before A New Hope and any difference could be explained away by the passing of years . Rogue one is set hours or at most days before A New Hope and in this binge culture are expected to be watched together. One can only assume they did make up tests and came to the conclusion that the difference between a Cgi Tarkin and the Tarkin we see in ANH would be less jarring to audiences then someone in prosthetics. Personally while I was obviously aware I was looking at a cgi character it didn't coming anywhere close to ruining the film for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Roar wrote: »
    Don't watch unless you've watched Rogue One

https://vimeo.com/196357074

Wow! Rogue One joins up so well with A New Hope! Also,
    the Vader Helmet has that same clunky look which I thought was off in Rogue One!
    Looks like they were keeping that mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

robinph wrote: »
    But you are supposed to go into the movie and ignore the things that you know from the real world about which actors are alive and dead or who plays which part or that there are not really any jedis or sith or big slugs with mind reading tentacles. Going into the movie knowing that an actor died years ago so therefore cannot be playing that part takes you out of the movie world, so have your memory chip wiped before going in and just enjoy and appreciate the movie for what it is and not get wound up about Carrie Fisher not actually being 19 anymore etc.

Again: I avoided all spoilers, trailers, tie-ins and rumours about this movie, and went in cold. I did not say "Hey, Price is dead, this must be CGI, I hate it!". I was watching a movie with real actors, and suddenly a cartoon was there talking to them, and I thought "WTF?".

If you did not notice, it worked for you. If you noticed and it doesn't bother you, it worked for you.

But CGI Tarkin worked about as well as having Roger Rabbit appear for me.

robinph wrote: »
    No you are not supposed to ignore that you noticed.

I can absolutely see the logic in their choice . Throwing prosthetics on an already gaunt actor like Wayne Pygram in episode 3 was all well and good as that was set over 20 years before A New Hope and any difference could be explained away by the passing of years . Rogue one is set hours or at most days before A New Hope and in this binge culture are expected to be watched together. One can only assume they did make up tests and came to the conclusion that the difference between a Cgi Tarkin and the Tarkin we see in ANH would be less jarring to audiences then someone in prosthetics. Personally while I was obviously aware I was looking at a cgi character it didn't coming anywhere close to ruining the film for me .

I'm well aware of the concept of suspending my disbelief. This simply broke that. The interactions between Tarkin and Krennic didn't feel real to me. To say it ruined that film for me is an enormous exaggeration. We're probably gonna have to agree to disagree about the Tarkin thing to avoid going in circles. I think they should have just recast someone who looked similar. The fact that the two films are hours apart is irrelevant to me. If people are going to watch them back-to-back, its going to be massively jarring regardless. Two films made decades apart with completely different tone aren't going to intertwine seamlessly.

It was one of many missteps which lead to a largely forgettable experience. I was genuinely bored for the first 3/4 of the film. The only new character's name I could remember walking out was the comedy bot K2SO. Is that my fault or the creators of the film?

People complaining that they can't suspend disbelief for a CGI human character while watching a film about spaceships and Death Stars and magic space wizards with laser swords

Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

People complaining that they can't suspend disbelief for a CGI human character while watching a film about spaceships and Death Stars and magic space wizards with laser swords

Haha

Fanboys like you can dismiss it all they want but I found the CGI Leia disgraceful. Completely jarring and ruined ending of the film for me. It just looked sh!t.

It's nothing to do with suspending disbelief - that would be not having the tarkin character in the film at all, which they could have done. And obviously there was no need for Leia.

If you can't do something properly don't do it :rolleyes:

Haha

I don't think you fully understand the concept

• Advertisement

Fanboys like you can dismiss it all they want but I found the CGI Leia disgraceful. Completely jarring and ruined ending of the film for me. It just looked sh!t.

It's nothing to do with suspending disbelief - that would be not having the tarkin character in the film at all, which they could have done. And obviously there was no need for Leia.

If you can't do something properly don't do it :rolleyes:

Following that logic Star Wars would never exist.

Advertisement