Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

I've actually started watching episodes 4 - 6 again. started 4 tonight and will watch the others over christmas. The behaviour of the droids is so much different so much better than in the recent films (including prequels). there is just this certain mood and tone which can't be replicated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

david75 wrote: »
    Would have been cool to see someone so devoted to the force face off against someone who was so powerful but warped and corrupted in the force.

Chirrut wouldn't have lasted long though in fairness.

Didn't even think of the force thing.

Just think Donnie Yen is awesome.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Didn't even think of the force thing.

Just think Donnie Yen is awesome.

He was in this.

Chirrut has some force ability. They don't explore or explain it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Saw this in IMAX last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think there is far too much analysis in this thread by posters trying to appear super intelligent and knowledgeable.

I just went with an open mind and threw myself into it. People were actually applauding at the end.
    It was well made, good story and was thrilling and really adds to Episode IV.

I also enjoyed The Force Awakens last year, but it seems to be trendy in here to knock that film down.

I’m very happy that we have Star Wars films being made that stick more to what the first 3 films were like unlike the 3 CGI packed soulless prequels.

Speaking of CGI, it was bit weird seeing Peter Cushing and it wasn’t perfect, but I get why they did it as he was so important to the Death Star in Episode IV. It or the appearance of Leia did not ruin the film.

I’m happy that all of this is happening and really looking forward to Episode VIII.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Loved it...particularly Donnie Yens character.

Stupid question but do Donnie Yens character and Chewbacca in Force Awakens use the same weapon? Some sort of crossbow blaster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

murpho999 wrote: »
    Saw this in IMAX last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I think’s there is far too much analysis in this thread by posters trying to appear super intelligent and knowledgeable.

I just went with an open mind and threw myself into it. People were actually applauding at the end.
    It was well made, good story and was thrilling and really adds to Episode IV.

I also enjoyed The Force Awakens last year, but it seems to be trendy in here to knock that film down.

I completely agree. I expected to see an equivalent of a novella which often accompanies written sagas - something smaller, just a story to show you more of this world, to give some background or a different angle. And I got a great one in Rogue One.

It feels pointless to compare it to flagship movies and their scale and focus. I personally appreciate seeing a story that is not planned for generations or galaxies. I liked how they were showing everything from the ground level (see how Jyn goes out at the top of the tower and sees the battle around her, she's completely overwhelmed) and reduced the range of destruction from planets to cities - with Scarif they could have gone all out on the final destruction but they wanted to show us human scale and human costs and succeeded quite gloriously I think.

I was afraid that the Han Solo movie would be all funsies now... but I should probably have more trust in the filmmakers. I hope they keep the smaller scale. It's great.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think’s there is far too much analysis in this thread by posters trying to appear super intelligent and knowledgeable.

some people don't think mediocre is good and are sick of the grey flavourless sludge they get served up in the cinema time and time again

It's interesting seeing not just here but elsewhere that the people really taken with R1 are also fascinated by the reshoots and what 'might have been'.
    Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

BMMachine wrote: »
    some people don't think mediocre is good and are sick of the grey flavourless sludge they get served up in the cinema time and time again

Yet keep paying their hard earned cash to go back, the morons.

Yet keep paying their hard earned cash to go back, the morons.

yeah I like Star Wars and I want to see a good film. I liked the Force Awakens and had fun at it. but films like this, Jurassic World, anything Marvel (which I have stopped going to, despite Civil War being the best of that genre) etc. are just this constant fan service board-roomed to f**k mess. I want to see an interesting film thats exciting with interesting characters and fun scenario's. This film didn't have that. What it did have was good CGI cutscenes (featuring my favourite character, the Hammerhead Corvette) and a complete mess of a backstory. Even that Chirrut character the internet is currently jizzing themselves over was a nothing character who we knew nothing about and had an annoying catchphrase. oh he did ninja moves, clap clap clap. Sorry, not enough for me and not enough for many others. Am I asking for too much? nope! Im asking for good film making, not mediocre, not poor, not crap - but good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I saw this yesterday having done no reading up on the film or its background at all, so there were some interesting surprises with the CGI characters. The combat scenes were pretty spectacular in 3D. I laughed when I saw Darth Vader's outfit, I don't recall it looking as tacky, almost like something picked up in Heatons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Darwin wrote: »
    I laughed when I saw Darth Vader's outfit, I don't recall it looking as tacky, almost like something picked up in Heatons.

well the outfit does date back to the 70s,

70s sci-fi styling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

yeah I like Star Wars and I want to see a good film. I liked the Force Awakens and had fun at it. but films like this, Jurassic World, anything Marvel (which I have stopped going to, despite Civil War being the best of that genre) etc. are just this constant fan service board-roomed to f**k mess. I want to see an interesting film thats exciting with interesting characters and fun scenario's. This film didn't have that. What it did have was good CGI cutscenes (featuring my favourite character, the Hammerhead Corvette) and a complete mess of a backstory. Even that Chirrut character the internet is currently jizzing themselves over was a nothing character who we knew nothing about and had an annoying catchphrase. oh he did ninja moves, clap clap clap. Sorry, not enough for me and not enough for many others. Am I asking for too much? nope! Im asking for good film making, not mediocre, not poor, not crap - but good.

I think you want to be a troll but you're very bad at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

philstar wrote: »
    well the outfit does date back to the 70s,

70s sci-fi styling

I know, I'm getting old I suppose - I remember going to see Episode IV in the cinema :eek:

A lot of posts in this thread would fit snugly on this list :)
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/a-comprehensive-guide-to-the-worst-rogue-one-takes-on-t-1790441878

• Registered Users Posts: 11,886 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

good straightforward war heist movie

didn't enjoy K2 at all, the 'this is going to go x% wrong' was a tired joke the first time he said it

does everyone have to have their parents be killed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

This movie was epic. It started off great and just kept delivering. Plenty of action, storytelling, plenty of characters and locations. It was a fine film.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

So why did you like TFA, a rehash of Star Wars with cardboard cutout characters (e.g. the fighter pilot was hero-by-numbers)? This film was a hell of a lot better.

Bad news.

Looks like Carrie fisher has had a heart attack on a plane

Hope she's ok

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Bad news.

Hope she's ok

Me too. It doesn’t sound good, but hard to tell with all the twitter trolls.

:(

• Advertisement

Me too. It doesn’t sound good, but hard to tell with all the twitter trolls.

:(

Just got the audiobook of her new book princess diarist. Won't be able to listen if this happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,488 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bad news.

Hope she's ok

:eek:

Yes hope she will be ok

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    :eek:

Yes hope she will be ok

They worked on her for 15 minutes doing cpr. That's really bad
    15 minutes before they got a pulse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

You don't get a pulse with CPR.

CPR is there to keep the blood pumping while you wait for the AED device.

The device gets the heart back going. CPR does not. EVER.

15mins of CPR is better than no CPR if there is no device around. It means someone kept the blood and oxygen circulating to the brain.

So why did you like TFA, a rehash of Star Wars with cardboard cutout characters (e.g. the fighter pilot was hero-by-numbers)? This film was a hell of a lot better.

I thought the characters and themes were a lot better than rogue one even if the story was rehashed. I discussed the characters earlier, didn't see Finn's use and his comedy was blunt and unnecessary. This film provided nothing though in terms of characters and just had a lot of action for a story that didnt actually mean anything. At least in TFA we are going places. Fan service is rife across both but I felt it far more in Rogue One and its just pathetic. The Vader thing at the end for example was just so people could get their rocks off - Vader is and always has been at his best when talking and its his presence which is more frightening rather than his fighting. This film doesn't seem to recognise any of that though and has no sense of tone or depth, just a cheesey surface level action film with nothing and no one for me to grab onto. Like I've seen this film before, done much better with much more fun characters. The worst crime against it I think though is that its ultimately quite boring, even the action at times was just silly, no intensity to it because it has no intense characters you want to root for (aside from Hammerhead Corvette, obviously)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I thought the characters and themes were a lot better than rogue one even if the story was rehashed. I discussed the characters earlier, didn't see Finn's use and his comedy was blunt and unnecessary. This film provided nothing though in terms of characters and just had a lot of action for a story that didnt actually mean anything. At least in TFA we are going places. Fan service is rife across both but I felt it far more in Rogue One and its just pathetic. The Vader thing at the end for example was just so people could get their rocks off - Vader is and always has been at his best when talking and its his presence which is more frightening rather than his fighting. This film doesn't seem to recognise any of that though and has no sense of tone or depth, just a cheesey surface level action film with nothing and no one for me to grab onto. Like I've seen this film before, done much better with much more fun characters. The worst crime against it I think though is that its ultimately quite boring, even the action at times was just silly, no intensity to it because it has no intense characters you want to root for (aside from Hammerhead Corvette, obviously)

Find it kinda funny that you went into such a meltdown over people liking Rogue one and how it was symptomatic of a wider failing in society about how we elevate mediocrity and yet give TFA a pass despite it being a, quite frankly, patronizing and cynical remake of A New Hope . Kinda stands in contrast to your raging against the dying of the light stance don't you think . Turns out we're both in denial , just about different films 😄

On a side note . Glad to hear Carrie Fisher is in stable condition . After hearing she had stopped breathing for so long I was convinced it was one of those situations where they tell everyone the person is in critical condition until such time as the family get there , when in reality they were probably dead on arrival .

They're showing the Yoda seagulls video before rogue one in some US cinemas.

Thatd be brilliant :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I avoided this thread when the movie came out and having watched it now I can finally post my thoughts. I will post them and then read other people's posts prior to mine then after. :) God knows what I've missed in the thread up to now!

Overall film is meh. Its for the large part, boring. There is little to no character development. The level of exposition in a film that is prequel is ridiculous. I just didn't care about any of the characters including emo Gin or whatever alcoholic beverage she is named after. On that point, the fecking character names. I kept getting Whitaker and Gin dad's name mixed up all the time. Overall it felt like a licensed fan film.

CGI humans were absolutely awful. Princess Leia and Tarkin, what the hell? Leia's smile at the end was insulting to everything that had happened up to that point of the movie! The early scenes with Tarkin were a mess.

Darth Vadar. Christ on a bike. Did someone go out to a joke shop and buy the costume? The first time we meet Vader, something was not right with the outfit. His helmet was crooked. Also, James Earl Jones is far too old now to do Vader.

The soundtrack was all over the place. For the first act, the music was not in sync with the movie. It was completely jarring. (I know the reshoot was to blame for this)

The characters were dull and 2 dimensional. A blind man who can see better than those of us with eyes? Come on. Thats just lazy.

There were far too many nods to the original movies. We didn't need to see R2D2, C3PO or the lads from the Cantina fight. Felt forced (Forgive the pun)

But not to be all negative, bits I did enjoy:

Visually it was spectacular. The best visuals from any Star Wars movie so far. The finale battle scene was epic, I just wished I cared more for the characters.

Darth Vader's killing spree. Finally we get to see Vader do something other than just be there for the sake of it. They should have used him more, after all its the ideal opportunity to use him.

Kiling everyone at the end. Loved it for 2 reasons. It was the right thing to do and it killed off any need for a sequel to a prequel of a sequel.

I'd give it 2 stars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Slydice wrote: »
    You don't get a pulse with CPR.

CPR is there to keep the blood pumping while you wait for the AED device.

The device gets the heart back going. CPR does not. EVER.

15mins of CPR is better than no CPR if there is no device around. It means someone kept the blood and oxygen circulating to the brain.

Sorry for going slightly off topic.

The main aim of CPR is to restore circulation and breathing. Yes, if successful, it will result in a pulse. An AED will not work if there is no cardiac output at all, it needs something. It is designed to stop an arrhythmia to return a regular rhythm.

Advertisement