Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭brevity

Disney are smart.

Initially they get in a big name, fan favourite, director, one that can bring in the fanboys, sacrificing some control. Then they get in promising directors but ones that don't have so much weight as to be "a problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Anyone else disappointed that their not going more toward a Guardians of the Galaxy type tone, a more irreverent and light hearted tale

No.

david75 wrote: »
    lads hang on a second..

it opens with her apparently being under arrest and lead by a rebel officer yet you hear what sounds like an imperial agent putting charges to her..and then being grilled by Mon Mothma and by the end shes in an imperial uniform?

perhaps shes a double agent and this film will be from an Imperial POV?

that would be an awesome way to tell this story..shes rogue one and has to get the plans back for the empire?

That WOULD be great.

But this is a Star Wars film and I doubt such cold war type scenarios would raise their head.

In any case, I'd imagine that the rebel forces have their interrogators too.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Can someone explain the tactical advantages of the AT-ATs?

The clue is in its title.

They are an All Terrain Amored Transport.

The point being that they can pretty much get their foot soldiers into any battle, on almost any terrain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Tony EH wrote: »
    That WOULD be great.

But this is a Star Wars film and I doubt such cold war type scenarios would raise their head.

In any case, I'd imagine that the rebel forces have their interrogators too.

The charges are being put to her by the rebel general, so that idea is out the window. Most likely just going over her resume before shaking hands on a deal, but she could also have managed to annoy the rebels somehow, as I think that all of the mercs in the film will be morally ambiguous.

I do hope that the films, now that they're exploring the universe outside the main trilogies, will show something of the imperial side.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Really loved Monsters, and loved the sense of scale that he managed to get in Godzilla, even if the rest of the film was average. From the trailer, he's definitely bringing that eye for scale to this as well, the way he managed to make the Star Destroyer look both huge and then tiny and insignificant in one shot was great.

What I always found incredible about Monsters is that Edwards did the visual effects more or less by himself.. in his bedroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The charges are being put to her by the rebel general, so that idea is out the window. Most likely just going over her resume before shaking hands on a deal, but she could also have managed to annoy the rebels somehow, as I think that all of the mercs in the film will be morally ambiguous.

I do hope that the films, now that they're exploring the universe outside the main trilogies, will show something of the imperial side.

I don't think we know who is putting the charges to her?

I'm a little behind on this - where exactly does this fit within the Star Wars cannon? Especially with regards to the Force Awakens and those movies. Same universe, but different stories?

It could be a decent prequel to Star Wars. So, it's perhaps a year or two before Luke blew it up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

bilston wrote: »
    I don't think we know who is putting the charges to her?

Sounds like the accent reading out the charges, and the accent that the rebel general has are the same.

That's just what it sounds like to me though. I could be totally wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

Boy did that 'I rebel' line, with all it's teenage angsty 'rebel without a clue' intonation make my eyes roll.

After The Force Awakens re-tread old ground so heavilly I'd been hoping for a story outside the general Starwars mythology. I've seen a few comments popping up that have described this as the flashiest peice of fan fiction ever produced, which made me nod in agreement. On the other hand, I do quite like the idea of a Starwars heist movie, if they frame it in that context.

• Advertisement

The charges are being put to her by the rebel general, so that idea is out the window.

Most likely just going over her resume before shaking hands on a deal, but she could also have managed to annoy the rebels somehow, as I think that all of the mercs in the film will be morally ambiguous.

That's what I mean by "the rebel forces have their interrogators too."

It sounds like a rap sheet being put to her in an interrogation.

As you say, probably a vetting interview before they seal the deal with a job. Or maybe it's a Snake Plisken type job. Do us this favour and we'll look the other way?

Actually, that would be great too. The rebels need some darkening up tbh.

I've always said that after the disaster of the appalling prequels, a form of redemption would be to make some films following Vader's expansion of the Empire across the Galaxy and from the Empire's point of view.

A surrogate epsiode I, II and III if you will.

How much of a time distance was there between Episode 3 and the original movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Presumably about 20 or so years, whatever age Luke and Leia were supposed to be

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Probably about 18 years as Luke and Leia were born right at the end of Ep. 3

So theoretically Darth Vader could make an appearance in this? But presumably not!

It's possible.

James Earl Jones is still knocking around and there are plenty of big lads in hollywood too that they can pop into the suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Rumour is Vader will be in this and will be shown to be more bad ass than we've seen him in the other films, so much so that it's thought he'll have to be toned down.
    Links234 wrote: »
    The main actors from The Raid were the pirates Han Solo was dealing with, and you got the feeling "Oh hell, sh*t's gonna get real!" when they turn up, but nope, they were just there to get eaten. Criminally wasted.

kanjiklub_b2344601.jpeg

They were basically in TFA so they would try get more interest in China etc.

Interesting about Vader! It could be that he's still so psychologically scarred from the events at the end of Episode 3 and is still dealing with how he is now. Will be great to see the transition between the two.

They were basically in TFA so they would try get more interest in China etc.

Those guys are Indonesian.

The Chinese wouldn't give a tinkers cuss about them being in a Star Wars film or not.

It seemed a very odd choice to cast almost all the Raid cast. I mean.. maybe one or two of them.. but all of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

bilston wrote: »
    I don't know. A lot of people here seem to have some sort of magical power where they can conclude how good an actress will be or how big a role an actor will have based on little over a minute of footage. That's a pretty neat trick!

I based my criticism on the main actress based on this trailer as you say, and indeed, she may well surprise me and in fact be a revelation in the role, as she was in A theory of everything, but based purely on these few fleeting excerpts it would appear to me at least, that her delivery of lines and general presence in this particular movie are bland and devoid of any hint of charisma. Perhaps I'm just surprised with how dull and lifeless this looks when compared to the Force Awakens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

It seemed a very odd choice to cast almost all the Raid cast. I mean.. maybe one or two of them.. but all of them?

JJ is obviously a fan, doubt there's any more to it than that.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty sure Abrams was just a fan of the films and gave them a part.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Pretty sure Abrams was just a fan of the films and gave them a part.
    JJ is obviously a fan, doubt there's any more to it than that.

Makes sense and shouldn't expect anything else from the superfan that Abrams is known to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Rumour is Vader will be in this and will be shown to be more bad ass than we've seen him in the other films, so much so that it's thought he'll have to be toned down.

Source? If Vader was in this, I think we'd know about it now. I can't see him being in this movie and there being no tie in - after all, Vader sells a lot of toys. A LOT.

If they're going to do a Vader movie, they'd go all out and make it a VADER movie, but somehow I don't think we're going to see one. I reckon Vader's story has been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Wait Donnie Yen is in this? Shut up and take my money

Did someone mention that this was going to be a part of a new trilogy outside of the planned and upcoming ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭conorhal

I'd say about 20 years give or mostly take.

Sure at the end of episode 3 the death star looking like this:
    death-star.jpg?quality=90&w=650&h=435

So it looks like it took a damn long time to build!
    I suppose Imperial bureaucracy is much like any bureaucracy and the Death Star probably ran afoul of cost over runs, union demands, the inevitable planning tribunal and endless arguments about who’s constituency it should get built in, not to mention the 'Alderan says NO to Death Stars!' crusty protests......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Did someone mention that this was going to be a part of a new trilogy outside of the planned and upcoming ones?

Think it'll be part of a series of 'Star Wars stories' that won't necessarily relate to each other but will all exist within the Star Wars universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Everything can be broken down, dissected & criticised by someone over & over again to the point where it becomes a chore wading through folk being critical almost purely for the sake of it.
    I'm a huge star wars fan, I was 5 when SW was released in 77 & fell in love with the OT instantly, I for one am simply delighted to be seeing a new film with top quality production values related to the star wars universe, for that reason I admit I loved the trailer and am eagerly awaiting seeing this on the big screen... I refuse to have the joy sucked out of my by people determined to see the fault in everything & anything.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Advertisement