Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The centre pic is CGI. Or is it? Can we stop giving out now. That is frighteningly real.
    https://twitter.com/paulrmq/status/816778620203057153

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

J Mysterio wrote: »
    That fuking picture of Leia is creepy as hell.
    Horror movie creepy.

It's just weird isn't it. I mean, it's decent, don't get me wrong. If someone had posted it on the zBrush forums, I'd be all over it. But in a film, with real living actors? Just stands out like a sore thumb.

Thing is, there was absolutely no need for it. They could have shot it as Antilles handing CGI Leia the info in the long shot and then have her turn and look out the window with her back to the audience and have voice over Leia say the lines.

Bang...done.

The recognisable figure of Leia in her white gown in a medium to long shot was all that was needed, if indeed she needed to be in the film at all.

david75 wrote: »
    The centre pic is CGI. Or is it? Can we stop giving out now. That is frighteningly real.
    https://twitter.com/paulrmq/status/816778620203057153

In a still, it's close to perfect.

The issues appear when you start to animate that.

I've watched it again. It's actually the voice. It's like The adr is off or too loud but it certainly both and isn't matched right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tony EH wrote: »
    It's just weird isn't it. I mean, it's decent, don't get me wrong. If someone had posted it on the zBrush forums, I'd be all over it. But in a film, with real living actors? Just stands out like a sore thumb.

Thing is, there was absolutely no need for it. They could have shot it as Antilles handing CGI Leia the info in the long shot and then have her turn and look out the window with her back to the audience and have voice over Leia say the lines.

Bang...done.

The recognisable figure of Leia in her white gown in a medium to long shot was all that was needed, if indeed she needed to be in the film at all.
    Tony EH wrote: »
    In a still, it's close to perfect.

The issues appear when you start to animate that.
    I've watched it again. It's actually the voice. It's like The adr is off or too loud but it certainly both and isn't matched right.

Bloody hell lads, could you stop over analysing and reading too much into it and accept it.

The CGI was decent and I get the intention of it from the filmmakers. It is no reason to say that the film was bad if you didn't like the CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Well, when you consider how far CGI has come on since George Lucas inserted his CGI Jabba scene into the Star Wars Special Edition in 1997, I think the CGI Tarkin is a success. The CGI Leia is brilliant at the start of the scene when you see her from the side, hopefully they can fix the rest of the scene for the blu ray release as suggested.

It's interesting that a lot of younger people who don't really know who Peter Cushing is, don't spot it's actually CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Didn't have a problem with either CGI character, to be honest. Sure, you knew it was CGI, but so what? It was well done.

I'm fairly sure the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park were CGI (though I can't be sure). No one going nuts about that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

When trying to analyse the Peter Cushing CGI, its difficult to pin-point exactly what is off about it. The closest I can come to describing it is 'weight'. There is an absence of weight, physicality, to the rendered model. It feels, moves, reacts in a way that it is almost independent of the environment around it. He just seems a little too light-of-foot, hollow, if you will. Normally, I try to spot eye-contact or some dodgy lighting effect, but Cushing passed all that. Its just down to 'weight' for me.

As for the reasons why they did this? Apart from being integral to the story, ILM have built a history of pushing boundaries. Most non-Star Wars fans can attribute the development of special effects to the original Star Wars movies. CGI actors is just a new frontier and it sort of makes sense to have one of the leading companies who kick started the whole thing leading it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't have a problem with either CGI character, to be honest. Sure, you knew it was CGI, but so what? It was well done.

I'm fairly sure the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park were CGI (though I can't be sure). No one going nuts about that though.

Actually, most dinosaurs weren't CGI. IIRC, there was only about 3/4 minutes of CGI FX through the entire film, the majority of dinos were recreated using animatronic robots or just old-fashioned puppets. There's an infamous goof where you can see a puppeteers arm/body behind one of the Raptors in the kitchen scene.

It's funny because Jurassic Park gets labelled as the great progenitor for modern CGI driven blockbusters, yet there was far less than we generally think - and this is probably why the film still holds up today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone who is saying the film is ruined by the CGI characters of Tarkin and Leia are being just a bit anal about it.

Its a film ffs, entertainment. Don't let it get you down. Get over it.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Actually, most dinosaurs weren't CGI. IIRC, there was only about 3/4 minutes of CGI FX through the entire film, the majority of dinos were recreated using animatronic robots or just old-fashioned puppets. There's an infamous goof where you can see a puppeteers arm/body behind one of the Raptors in the kitchen scene.

It's funny because Jurassic Park gets labelled as the great progenitor for modern CGI driven blockbusters, yet there was far less than we generally think - and this is probably why the film still holds up today.

What I've read is about 5/6 minutes out of about 13/14 minutes of dinosaur screentime is CGI, the rest animatronics/whatever. That being said, I haven't done masses of research, just something I recall reading a few months back.

So a little under half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

NIMAN wrote: »
    Anyone who is saying the film is ruined by the CGI characters of Tarkin and Leia are being just a bit anal about it.

That's being quite dismissive - poor CGI can of course ruin a film. I'm not saying it ruined Rogue One for me but the Leia part certainly ruined the ending IMO.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What I've read is about 5/6 minutes out of about 13/14 minutes of dinosaur screentime is CGI, the rest animatronics/whatever. That being said, I haven't done masses of research, just something I recall reading a few months back.

So a little under half.

Not really the point; just addressing your comment about people complaining about how convincing the dinosaurs were. People generally haven't, because in all likelihood, whatever scene they remember fondly they were looking at actual props. Spielberg broadly used puppets and props when the dinosaurs had to actually interact with the cast: Sam Neil leaning on a triceratops still looks so tangible and real, whereas Chris Pratt stroking the head of a CGI raptor from 2016 already looks a bit rough & weird.

I think the Cushing CGI, whether convincing or not, was a completely unnecessary move. In fact, to rob a line from Jurassic Park itself, ILM were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they didn't stop to think if they should :D

I mean for Jurassic Park you are talking about dinosaurs - fakery is kinda implied from the get go and part of the contract with the audience IMO. Even the master of tinkering himself George Lucas, decided it was better to use a real actor for Tarkin's (admittedly brief) appearance in Revenge of the Sith. There was no need for it, which just broke the immersion a tiny bit for me. Doubly so for the fake Leia.

Don't get me wrong, it was great CGI, but not a great person.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not really the point; just addressing your comment about people complaining about how convincing the dinosaurs were. People generally haven't, because in all likelihood, whatever scene they remember fondly they were looking at actual props. Spielberg broadly used puppets and props when the dinosaurs had to actually interact with the cast: Sam Neil leaning on a triceratops still looks so tangible and real, whereas Chris Pratt stroking the head of a CGI raptor from 2016 already looks a bit rough & weird.

I think the Cushing CGI, whether convincing or not, was a completely unnecessary move. In fact, to rob a line from Jurassic Park itself, ILM were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they didn't stop to think if they should :D

I mean for Jurassic Park you are talking about dinosaurs - fakery is kinda implied from the get go and part of the contract with the audience IMO. Even the master of tinkering himself George Lucas, decided it was better to use a real actor for Tarkin's (admittedly brief) appearance in Revenge of the Sith. There was no need for it, which just broke the immersion a tiny bit for me. Doubly so for the fake Leia.

Don't get me wrong, it was great CGI, but not a great person.

Hah, that's fair enough (particularly on the ILM bit). I don't agree, but such is life.

Regarding JP, it's about a 60% chance the person is remembering a prop and not CGI though. On Leia, which I completely agree wasn't nearly as good as Tarkin - I find it amusing when people say "Leia broke the immersion". It was the last scene of the film.

Anyway, I quite enjoyed the film, but then again I don't really dissect them, I go for the fun, and this had it in spades. I don't have the heart to argue about the CGI too much online. Different strokes, I suppose.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell lads, could you stop over analysing and reading too much into it and accept it.

The CGI was decent and I get the intention of it from the filmmakers. It is no reason to say that the film was bad if you didn't like the CGI.

As a one time animator myself who still has friends in that business and also someone with a keen interest in film and special effects, it's certainly not unreasonable to "analyse" something like this.

Plus, I am one of the people sticking up for 'Rogue One'. I thought it was very good.

As Pixelburp said, there were only limited scenes in 'Jurassic Park' that were rendered in CGI.

However, building and animating something like dinosaurs is vastly different to doing the same for a human being, especially for the face. The human face is always moving and twitching. You eyes may not notice, but your brain does and has become tuned to observing those movements since you were a baby. There is also a vibrancy in the human eye that is extremely difficult to reproduce successfully in a computer model.

In my opinion we're still a very long way off of that reproduction, even though I consider the likes of Tarkin to be a great effort. The problem is just that it was over used.

This argument will come to a perfect head when the director of Jurassic world directs episode 9 :)

Here's how they did it. It is really impressive
    https://youtu.be/oo6wsXjOg6M

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't think discussing the CGI characters is in any way overanalysing - it's quite a significant piece of technology, with potentially significant practical, artistic and ethical consequences for both this series (more so now following Carrie Fisher's death) and cinema in general. This is a film discussion - we welcome any such lively debate (unless it's plot hole nitpicking :p)

As I've said before, I thought it was a terrible, terrible decision. For those scenes, it pulled me completely out of the film - not film ruining in itself, but certainly a significant issue nonetheless. There's just something really off about the gestures, textures, lighting, movements etc... with Cushing, and worse again - albeit brief - for Leia. Certainly on a purely technological level it's impressive, but there's a difference between that and technology being 100% successful: I'd put forward that even if you're thinking in those scenes 'that's pretty impressive' the gamble has in a sense failed: you're distracted from the story being told. For me, it just wasn't good enough - whether it will ever be good enough is even uncertain.

It's cool that some people didn't spot the difference, but nor is knowledge of Peter Cushing's death or time difference between this and ANH in any way uncommon. For a significant percentage, even majority, of viewers it will stand out in some way.

There's such vast a difference between clearly fantastical CG and detailed CG humans that IMO they barely warrant comparison. Viewers will much more obviously be able to separate the former, and adjust expectations accordingly (although obviously even clearly cartoonish CG can pull you right out of a film when handled poorly).

I also think there's concerns about posthumously adding to an actor's body of work - there's a sanctity to a performer's conscious performances IMO one should be inherently reluctant to toy with (although maybe horror veteran like Christopher Lee or Cushing would take a ghoulish pleasure in the knowledge of their resurrection). But ultimately Rogue One's CG characters are very noteworthy indeed, potentially a precursor for things to come. We'll see: for now, I think it was a really, really bad decision.

• Advertisement

I don't think discussing the CGI characters is in any way overanalysing - it's quite a significant piece of technology, with potentially significant practical, artistic and ethical consequences for both this series ......

Whatever about the ethics of it I don't see using CGI as adding to a deceased actor's work.

It is the character that is being portrayed not the actor.

Peter Cushing is not credited in the cast, only a thank you to his estate.

I think it's something we're going to see more often in future and should get used to it.

I really don't see how it detracts from the film at all. I would argue that it adds to it and contributes to the continuity of the story.

You sign away your likeness forever when you sign up to these films. Forever means forever. Only one that didn't was Harrison ford running enough.

Well there it is. What o do about Leia
    Possible spoilers for 8&9

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/

Well there it is. What o do about Leia
    Possible spoilers for 8&9

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/

Sorry but there is nothing in that but speculation.

How can there be spoilers in it yet when nobody knows the plots except for those closely connected?

There are two pretty big points about her role in future films one that has been finished and one yet to enter prodicution. Not into arguing just to argue but thanks for playing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

murpho999 wrote: »
    It is the character that is being portrayed not the actor. Peter Cushing is not credited in the cast, only a thank you to his estate.

This goes WAY beyond merely being the character, unfortunately - it attempts to directly 'emulate' (christ, I shudder slightly using that word in this context) Peter Cushing himself to try and convince the audience it is in fact Peter Cushing. That an estate can be credited over an actor is a slightly disheartening thing in and of itself.

I raise no objection to the fact that the estate and the filmmakers can likely do precisely what they like in this context once agreement is reached between them - legally, that's their right. That the creative / commercial team behind the decision made it in the first place is what I'd object to.

Meant to point out before that a decision to use a CG zombie actor also brings much more basic creative restrictions over murkier ethical debates. It limits what the character can do, the locations they can be in, even potentially the very visual identity of the scenes in question. The computer artists behind this have highlighted lighting discrepancies between A New Hope and Rogue One as a significant hurdle in their efforts, for example. Creatively and practically you are freer if you recast - indeed, you don't have to look beyond Star Wars and even Rogue One itself for examples of that.
    I think it's something we're going to see more often in future and should get used to it.

If we see more of it, I'll continue to object to it vehemently :) Not something I want us to get used to for the reasons I've mentioned.
    I really don't see how it detracts from the film at all. I would argue that it adds to it and contributes to the continuity of the story.

Can only agree to disagree here, as I've said pulled me right out of the film. Fair enough if it didn't for you. I am more than willing to make allowances for human mortality when it comes to mere continuity (itself often an inconvenience, TBH, especially in a series with as convoluted a lore as Star Wars - heck, the prequels are one big continuity cluster****) and would've been far less distracted with a new Grand Moff - or, indeed, no Grand Moff at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Disagree with the above decrying the use of Cushing's likeness. I see it as merely a new technology which happens to be a more modern way of applying a mask rather than prosthetics as used in Revenge of the Sith.

This whole 'ethics' issue is a bit of a storm in a tea cup. The portrayal of Cushing's likeness in Rogue One was respectfully done and in keeping with his performance in Star Wars. I think that's the key as to whether using such CGI is ok or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

NIMAN wrote: »

What are you on about. We are critiquing the film because we like Star Wars.

If everyone took your approach there would be no point for debate at all.

Frankly, I find the practical issues more objectionable than any ethical ones - just don't think it looks right first and foremost. Although I still would rather they don't try and digitally recreate actors in the first place unless extraordinary circumstances dictate it (e.g. to put the finishing touches on a performance after a tragedy) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

I'll be honest, i saw the film a week ago and only found out Tarkan was CGI'd when i came onto this thread. Just thought it was a stand in that looked like the original guy with some makeup.

To me, it's not important as long as you're not looking for imperfections like someone said above about lighting and other BS.

Advertisement