Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,165 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Glebee wrote: »
    Went to see it yesterday with the young lad. I liked it more that TFA from a first viewing. I remember leaving the cinema after TFA disappointed but yesterday defo left with a smile on my face. x-wings, tie fighter, star destroyers left right and centre made it for me. I loved the final hour of the battle and even they way the tied it up in the end to link it into A New Hope. A definite 8/10 for me. ( 10/10 from the young jedi who sat beside me.):)

Only saw it today with my 8 year old Jedi! I loved it and little Jedi loved it! As a man who saw episide 4 on its original release I can really sense the effort that is being made. I could nit pick, but I prefer to generalise the brilliance of TFA and R1 as new movies adding to the experience I had in 1977.

I think there is too much over thinking of the Star Wars universe from those who maybe weren't around when it all started and was the most spectacular thing we had ever seen. For me there is a lot of emotion personally and especially watching my daughter appreciate and understand it all. Even she knew that a lot of R1 characters couldn't survive the movie and the ending was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In R1, did the rebels just start a war?
    She would hardly try to use mind tricks if she didn't have any reason to believe Jedi existed though, would she? She did only just find out Jedi exist, but she has that weird vision when seeing Lukes lightsaber and then manages to resist Kylo Rens attempt to read her mind with the Force. It makes sense that she would conclude that she might be able to use the Force.
    But she had heard lots about the Jedi, but thought they were just stories when she was told them. Where she grew up looks like a bit of a backwater (sans water).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Victor wrote: »
    But she had heard lots about the Jedi, but thought they were just stories when she was told them.

:confused: Yeah, so she had no reason to believe they existed until she met THE Han Solo and starting experiencing the Force herself. I confused at your point, if you aren't agreeing with me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Funny thing about that scene. Han does a 180 on his magic tricks and nonsense/a good blaster at your side comment standing on the exact spot saying it's true all of it. The force the Jedi

Then in the next scene hands Rey a blaster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Went to see Rogue One for a second time last night, and I enjoyed it way more. Not sure why, perhaps the weight of expectation was lifted. It's a great movie. Much, much more fun the second time around, and I cared for the characters more. The same could be said of the original movies - we've all seen them countless times, is that why we care for the characters so much?

Some points to note on 2nd viewing - for some reason the CGI Tarkin seemed far more real to me. Maybe mentally I had accepted that he wasn't "real" and just got on with the movie. The same with Leia.

The length of Krennic's hair seemed to vary considerably - at times it's short back and sides, other times it's longer at the back. A result of reshoots perhaps?

I might be wrong, but in the scene where Jyn and Saw see the hologram message (and that whole sequence) they don't share any screen time (as in, they are never in the same shot together). There's blurry over the shoulder shots of the back of her head, which could easily be a double. There's was one shot where she's blurry in the foreground but again, they could've used a stand-in and CGI-ed. Again, I'm wondering were these reshoots.

Storm Troopers are USELESS. "what the?" "hey you!" etc. They stood around so much, or came running in with their weapons down, they were too easily picked off. Maybe there's so many of them, it didn't matter.

Finally, did the hammerhead corvette go down with the star destroyer? It looked to be still embedded in the side of it when it was crashing into the shield. If so, cheers Admiral - your "idea" was a suicide mission! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

david75 wrote: »
    Funny thing about that scene. Han does a 180 on his magic tricks and nonsense/a good blaster at your side comment standing on the exact spot saying it's true all of it. The force the Jedi

Then in the next scene hands Rey a blaster :)

Yeh, but he didn't know that she was supergirl at that point.

Storm Troopers are USELESS. "what the?" "hey you!" etc. They stood around so much, or came running in with their weapons down, they were too easily picked off. Maybe there's so many of them, it didn't matter.

I think they're less useless than in something like 'Return of the Jedi' and they're way more effective than those awful Roger Roger droids.

But, yeh, it's a typical bad guy trope. It's like how German soldiers are presented in war films. Picked off with the greatest of ease and can't hit an enemy from half a yard away.

It's annoying and retarded, but if a realistic version was presented, all the heroes would be dead in 10 minutes.
    Finally, did the hammerhead corvette go down with the star destroyer? It looked to be still embedded in the side of it when it was crashing into the shield. If so, cheers Admiral - your "idea" was a suicide mission! :)

Didn't notice that. Cool if it's the case. Maybe it's a skeleton crew that volunteers knowing the odds.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I think they're less useless than in something like 'Return of the Jedi' and they're way more effective than those awful Roger Roger droids.

Another thing I noticed, the Storm Troopers get hit (by hand or a stick) on the head and fall down A LOT. Are those helmets made out of paper mache or something?? :)

Yeh, that's just stupid. Their armour is about as useful as a wet paper bag.

Again, it's a movie trope. Bad guys can get knocked out with a sideways look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Something tells me he knew exactly who she was and knew exactly where the millennium falcon was all that time. ;)

• Advertisement

Let it go Tony. I'm beginning to think you hate Rey. The very idea ;)

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Something tells me he knew exactly who she was and knew exactly where the millennium falcon was all that time. ;)

Same.

When I says yeah I knew him. I knew Luke he switches from Finn to look at her on Luke.

Same.

When I says yeah I knew him. I knew Luke he switches from Finn to look at her on Luke.

A great twist could've been Han being angry with Luke for screwing up his Kylo Ren's training. And wanting revenge, which is why he'd want to find Luke. Could imagine some kind of confrontation between them... Luke saying "dude chill"... :) Anyway won't happen now.

Let it go Tony. I'm beginning to think you hate Rey. The very idea ;)

Nah, Rey is ok, largely because of Ridley. But she's written badly.

A great twist could've been Han being angry with Luke for screwing up his Kylo Ren's training. And wanting revenge, which is why he'd want to find Luke. Could imagine some kind of confrontation between them... Luke saying "dude chill"... :) Anyway won't happen now.

The thinking is the falcon has been left on Jakku with unkar plutt on purpose. Rey is also left with unkar(it's him holding her hand in the force vision) and the map left with Lor San tekka to give both to her when she's old enough.
    None of it is random anyways.

There's even a tie in from rogue one to force awakens. Kylo says they found he Majority of the map in the remains of the empires archive. The archive you see get blown up in Rogue One.

They're doing a brilliant job weaving all these strands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Didn't notice that. Cool if it's the case. Maybe it's a skeleton crew that volunteers knowing the odds.

I think it is in the book...

So there's Gareth Edwards cameo. He's the guy launches the tantive
    Escaping Vader. Bastard gets to be In the film and direct it.
    https://twitter.com/leono_92/status/817066870557868032

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Alright, so Rogue One has made $829 million to last Wednesday. It hasn't opened in China yet. It opens there tonight.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars2016.htm
    Domestic: $451,407,837
    Foreign: $377,700,000
    Worldwide: $829,107,837

Force Awakens made $124 million there.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=starwars7.htm
    It's overall is:
    Domestic: $936,662,225
    Foreign: $1,131,561,399
    Worldwide: $2,068,223,624

So maybe Rogue One in China will scale down similarly (around half) so about 50-70 million.

Looks to me like it's got a chance to top $900 but probably not gonna make the billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Worrying about the money films have made has dismayed me beyond caring.

Especially in this case I don't get it as there will obviously no sequel. Just seems like a dick measuring contest to me upon people who should have better things to be doing.

Ben Gadot wrote: »
    Worrying about the money films have made has dismayed me beyond caring.

Especially in this case I don't get it as there will obviously no sequel. Just seems like a dick measuring contest to me upon people who should have better things to be doing.

In Rogue ones case watching the returns is important as a barometer for how successful these standalones are going to be in future.
    They marketed this film well if a little misleading. THe trailers don't really represent the film we got but that's a moot point.

It's a colossal success and Disney will see it that way. The had warned their shareholders it wouldn't do anything like force awakens numbers. But it's taken a huge swing at it.

Also it'll do better in China than you think. The two Asian lad are huge stars in China and the Far East.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

DuffleBag wrote: »
    I'll be honest, i saw the film a week ago and only found out Tarkan was CGI'd when i came onto this thread. Just thought it was a stand in that looked like the original guy with some makeup.

To me, it's not important as long as you're not looking for imperfections like someone said above about lighting and other BS.

In a lot of cases it did really work, even knowing in advance that he's was cgi'd, but there were instances where the light on the skin didn't look quite right, the head position against the body looked a little off or the eyes were a bit weird. Overall I think they did a great job of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

In a lot of cases it did really work, even knowing in advance that he's was cgi'd, but there were instances where the light on the skin didn't look quite right, the head position against the body looked a little off or the eyes were a bit weird. Overall I think they did a great job of it.

mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

One hardly needs to be Sherlock to be capable of identifying a nerd in a Star Wars thread on an internet forum.

Every day they’d do “Indie Hour,” where for an hour, they just shot random stuff for no reason, just to see what would happen.
    Why the Rogue One Trailer's Most Iconic Shot Never Appeared in the Movie
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-the-rogue-one-trailers-most-iconic-shot-never-appea-1790910745
    Such as the shot of Jyn turning in the tunnel
    405633.jpg

Slydice wrote: »
    Why the Rogue One Trailer's Most Iconic Shot Never Appeared in the Movie
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/why-the-rogue-one-trailers-most-iconic-shot-never-appea-1790910745

405633.jpg

That shot is in the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Saw it just there.

The only really disappointing thing to me was the music.

It felt like a knock off of proper Star Wars music.
    It was never as good as the originals (which isn't a crime in itself) but it mimics it, particularly in the beginning of the various pieces, which leaves you expecting one thing, but then you get the rug pulled out from under you.

I also felt like it was used less effectively.
    Of course, Star Wars music is big and brash, but it tends to punctuate or set the scene with the most bombastic numbers like the Imperial March (this scene being my favourite use of it) with the softer more clarinetty tunes used to underscore emotional scenes.

Rogue 1 got that balance wrong in my book - too loud too often.

In general, thought it was solid.
    The opening tried to cram too much in and jumped around an awful lot and in the process, wasted time that could've been spent better on Forest Whitaker, Mads Mikellsen and their relationship with Jyn.
    It felt like low quality film making.
    In the scene where they show Jyn in prison; great, we have information.
    They didn't make anything out of that scene. Nothing visually interesting, no clever transition.
    It was just "here's a scene and now here's another scene and you have the aggregate inforamation contained in those two scenes by virtue of having seen them both".

In contrast to how well they used the beautiful landscapes later on, the Deathstar looming over the horizon, the contrast between ships, between big objects and little objects, light and dark, it felt like an intern handled things until they got to Jedha.
    Steadily more solid after that point.

TFA had hype on it's side after 30 years of nothing or disappointment so it was going to be difficult to detach that excitement from the experience (and I wouldn't have wanted to) but on their own merits I think Rogue 1 is a better film.

That shot is in the movie.

no it isn't :)

Slydice wrote: »
    no it isn't :)

Yeah it is

When they go into the vault.

Yeah it is

nope, not there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Yeah it is

Nope. She is in there, the tunnel is there, that shot isn't there.

Advertisement