Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Drumpot wrote: »
    Bit of a wildcard here but I would love to see an emperor palpatine backstory... I think he was a great villain. They could do what rogue one did and possibly clean up some ambiguity regarding Annakins conception (was palps involved or not?!).

Suppose my worry would be who they could get to play the role because I thought Ian mcdiarmuid was superb. Particularly in ROTS.

Asides from that, I read some of the comics based on the universe long long before Ep1 and there is some savage stuff...

Have you read the Plageuis book?
    It's as close to a biography on him as we have. Great book too despite no longer being canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think a return of sorts of Christiansen doesn't in theory have to be a terrible thing. Yes, he stunk up the prequels, but to be fair so did the entire ensemble of award winning actors - he's quite a good actor usually.

I have to disagree somewhat. Portman was good in a lot of her scenes, but coasted along, it has to be said, in many others. She didn't really have a lot to do though in the grand scheme of things and I get the feeling she became rather dispondent the more time that went by. Neeson too was good in his role and was probably the best thing about 'The Phantom Menace', but in fairness he was playing Liam in Jedi robes, so your either like that or you don't. McGregor was very good as Kenobi. He was the tightest thing about the whole trilogy and I think would do well in a standalone with a decent script. McDiarmid remains the most consistantly watchable of them all. Christiansen, however, was terrible in every scene he was in and it wasn't just line delivery, it's his whole way of carrying himself and the mannerisms. He lacked the darkness needed for the part. He lacked the dramatic chops to convincingly portray Vader as he should have been played. The role was simply far too big for him and didn't have the talent to shine through, bad scripts/direction or not.

I don't think that Christiansen is "a good actor usually". He was adequate in 'Shattered Glass', the role he is often lauded with. But that's it.

Now, I'm not saying that there isn't a role out there for him nail. But, to me he's merely a face that can say some lines, that has still yet to prove himself properly. I've no doubt he rues the day he ever said yes to Star Wars. But, let's be honest, he role choices, since, haven't great either.

I'd genuinely like to see him land a part that he could get his teeth into. But, I absolutely do not want him anywhere near another Star Wars film.
    Some sort of appearance in Ep 8 could have worked well with Kylo Ren, given Anakin was a similar age when he underwent the transformation to Darth Vader. Snoke could even possibly manipulate a vision of Anakin to spur Kylo Ren further down the path to the dark side, rather than the happy family force ghost stuff (and I agree with you on that point, I never liked it and it should be limited or avoided in general).

I don't think we need Vader at all in these new films. His "ghost" should be his lack of presence. Showing him as a sparkilly entity is absolutely guaranteed to split the audience. There's a whole swath of fans out there, myself included, that simply don't recognise the prequels as canon. That's how bad they (I) view them. They go to terrible lengths to screw up the classics - the worst offence being their destruction of Vader - it's best to simply ignore them. I like Disney's approach so far, in that they have effecively jettisoned them. I'd very much like to see that continue. While they maintain publicly (they don't have much of a choice) that they're canon material, I get the feeling that they don't want to touch them with a barge pole.
    The prequels were poorly done, but I think we shouldn't strive to have everything in them excised, ignored or forgotten. Continuity is important in Star Wars and ultimately, Christiansen is Anakin and I feel he deserves a chance and could offer a lot to Ep8 or 9.

The prequels were tragic. They destroyed the series and it would have stayed dead if Disney hasn't forked out an obscene amount of money to take the dead franchise off of Lucas' hands. Also, the continuity that the prequels offer is utterly wretched. Vader is ridiculous, C3PO is made by him, Fett's dad is the entire clone army, kid Fett's appearance, the fact that they're just Kiwi's now, the Force is just some bugs in a person's system, a fcuking ejit was responsible for handing Palpatine ultimate power...ad nauseum. They're littered with awful, awful choices and that list is just the tip of the iceberg. There's no continuity from them that needs to be included in any other Star Wars film ever. So far Disney has produced one meh film and one great one. So, right there they've trumped the prequels entirely. The future looks relatively bright. They've no need to screw it up by harking back to something the scuppered the entire show.
    He gets a disporportionate amount of the hate for EpII and III, but it really wasn't his fault how poorly they were written and directed. Portman and Jackson are two major names that also gave dismal, b-movie quality performances but people forgave them readily enough. The funny thing is that the acting and direction in EpI is actually of a much higher standard (poor, over complicated story and Jar Jar aside), it's like Lucas stopped caring as much with the rest of the sequels.

I agree that Christiansen gets most of the hate. But the reasons for that are clear. He was Darth Vader. One of the greatest villains that has graced the screen. So, of course, his terrible, terrible perfomance is going to be railed upon and justly too.

As far as Jackson is concerned, I think he's a shit "actor" too. A one trick pony that managed to keep a schtick going well past its sell by date. His poor performance in the prequels didn't surprise me in the least.

The worst thing about the tragedy of the prequels is that story is there and they could have/should have been great.

I would be quite happy to see Disney make a few standalones, complete 7-9, and then loop back and remake the prequels, trashing Lucas's prequels completely, from top to bottom. Have the new prequels match IV-VI as well as Rogue One does, and have actual scripts with plots, characters and dialogue as well as action and SFX.

Remaking the prequels would be one of the few times in which I would applaud such an idea. In fact, they don't need to even touch 'The Phantom Menace'. They can just delete it. Simply start with Kenobi and Vader and take it from there.

This won't happen though. I would lay money on it.

Odd given rogue one in dripping in prequel era references.

The era, but not directly to the prequels themselves.

• Advertisement

There's loads! I was surprised actually

Ummm...none of those are actually directly referencing the prequel timelines and circumstances though. They make passing nods to places and equipment, but 'Rogue One' doesn't really make a comment on strict events from the prequels. You don't really have to have seen the pequels for those passing nods to make sense. Nobody says remember when that thing happened? Remember when such and such did this thing? remember how great it was when Jar Jar handed the Emperor supreme powers?

Probably Bail Organa is the most overt, as he's a person, but even then it's not an absolute requirement to see the prequels (god forbid).

Well it's one of two things. Few pages ago we had people screaming about fan service and putting things in just to keep the fans happy and how that dragged it down. But now those things are not important or noticeable to the story?
    It can't be both. This film owes far more to the prequels than it does the OT. In the narrative especially. And it's far more connected to them than the OT. Serves a a nice gateway but still doesn't feel connected to the main saga in any true sense. But (for me) does enhance a new hope somewhat.
    Complimentary to them rather than supplementary to them in any important way. You could not see this and not miss anything vital. Whereas the prequels are a chore but they are anakins story..

My pal saw it never having been much into Star Wars and he thought it a good action flick but feels too much a retcon to make sense of the prequels into the OT for non fans but that it doesn't work at all as it's own film. He had no idea of the point of it all nor cared to find out after watching it. Sad but Have to agree. (and to make them money. He's a cynic though).

It's not making me excted to see it again which is a bummer. Normally be watching a new one every chance I get.

david75 wrote: »
    Well it's one of two things. Few pages ago we had people screaming about fan service and putting things in just to keep the fans happy and how that dragged it down. But now those things are not important or noticeable to the story?

I've never said anything about "fan service" in 'Rogue One'. A least I can't recall. I think people complaining about putting Star Wars stuff in a Star Wars film is more than stupid TBH.

Plus, 'Rogue One' cut the ballance pretty much ok with me. I could have done without Walrus man and ugly face on Jedha. But, it didn't bother me. Leia should absolutely have been just a back shot, but again, I'll let it pass. Those type of easter eggs work fine. They don't interefere with the story, they don't change the direction of the film and they aren't essential to the plot.

Unlike the prequels which made such awful, awful insertions of well known characters to try a shove the "it really is a Star Wars film" down people's throats. We didn't need C3PO, R2D2, Boba Fett, Greedo, Jabba, Mon Mothma (although a cut scene) or any other of the forced reminders of thing yet to come. The entire trilogy is clunky references to things that have no business being there in the first place.
    It can't be both. This film owes far more to the prequels than it does the OT. In the narrative especially. And it's far more connected to them than the OT.

I couldn't disagree more. The entire film is a set up for the next one.
    Serves a a nice gateway but still doesn't feel connected to the main saga in any true sense.

I feel it does, perfectly and even its recon re: exhaust port made absolutely perfect sense. For me it's Star Wars part 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Have you read the Plageuis book?
    It's as close to a biography on him as we have. Great book too despite no longer being canon.

Never read it but will see if I can get one. Have a friend who has been collecting these for decades... thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

In fairness Lucas had no expectation about what people wanted from a Star Wars film. Disney do, and it's pretty much "not the prequels". So they are staying away from that kind of thing completely.

In fairness though, nobody really knew what they wanted from a SW film back in 1999. If Rogue One had come out then, what would the reaction have been? Lucas was stuffing it with references to the OT, because that's what he thought people wanted, and it was nostalgia rather than trying to make something new. With that out of the way, Disney can now make something new. The Han Solo movie could be the most swash-buckling adventure this side of Pirates of the Caribbean, with no dark side or Force to speak of, which again is something that hasn't been done in a SW movie.

Agreed that Christensen is the worst thing about the prequels, which is why Phantom Menace is the only one I can watch. Imagine someone like Casey Affleck in that role, with the finesse of balancing that point between good and evil and exploring a wide range of emotions, not just "I love you" and "I hate you".

While the prequels will probably never be remade, there could be scope for a different movie from the same time.

Tony EH wrote: »
    I've never said anything about "fan service" in 'Rogue One'. A least I can't recall. I think people complaining about putting Star Wars stuff in a Star Wars film is more than stupid TBH.

Plus, 'Rogue One' cut the ballance pretty much ok with me. I could have done without Walrus man and ugly face on Jedha. But, it didn't bother me. Leia should absolutely have been just a back shot, but again, I'll let it pass. Those type of easter eggs work fine. They don't interefere with the story, they don't change the direction of the film and they aren't essential to the plot.

Unlike the prequels which made such awful, awful insertions of well known characters to try a shove the "it really is a Star Wars film" down people's throats. We didn't need C3PO, R2D2, Boba Fett, Greedo, Jabba, Mon Mothma (although a cut scene) or any other of the forced reminders of thing yet to come. The entire trilogy is clunky references to things that have no business being there in the first place.

I couldn't disagree more. The entire film is a set up for the next one.

I feel it does, perfectly and even its recon re: exhaust port made absolutely perfect sense. For me it's Star Wars part 1.

Yeah I disageee with all of that but who has the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I'm just going to say it, a jar jar binks back story!

The Star Wars Show: Pablo Hidalgo Talks With Dave Filoni on the Rogue One Set, Interview With John Knoll and More. - http://bit.ly/2jqLkes - #StarWars

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

salmocab wrote: »
    I'm just going to say it, a jar jar binks back story!

Where we discover he's really a top agent working for Palpatine who ingeniously trains for many years as a complete buffoon to infiltrate the Jedi to rat out their location to Darth Maul and eventually infiltrate the Senate where he organises the senators votes to implement Emperor Palpatine's Order 66 to wipe out the Jedi.

A plot twist even more shocking than 'I am your Father' !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭golfball37

Wedwood wrote: »
    Where we discover he's really a top agent working for Palpatine who ingeniously trains for many years as a complete buffoon to infiltrate the Jedi to rat out their location to Darth Maul and eventually infiltrate the Senate where he organises the senators votes to implement Emperor Palpatine's Order 66 to wipe out the Jedi.

Meesa likes this !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Wedwood wrote: »

Palpatine is just a puppet, Jar Jar is obviously the real Sith Lord.

And after Palpatine is destroyed with the 2nd Death Star, Jar Jar gets a new puppet, Snoke.

This would in fact be better than the real movie
    t3_5q9ojo?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F3ltuuyyik1cy.png&token=AQAALneKWB_YeqB6ESP3yaxxSWQYMoorp9Esy3lsIKpMW-pfE8nO&app_name=mweb2x

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Some good news. The writer that wrote Rogue One wants to write a Star Trek story next :) Great news.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Hopefully they fix the ****e Leia CGI at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Very late to the party but finally caught this today.

Absolutely loved it. The tension was immense. It looks fantastic. The cast were spot on. Wonderful stuff! Think I'll stick on episode 4 tonight. Struggled through 3 last night, ugh.

This and the force awakens really are immense beginnings to the Disney ownership.

Very late to the party but finally caught this today.

Absolutely loved it. The tension was immense. It looks fantastic. The cast were spot on. Wonderful stuff! Think I'll stick on episode 4 tonight. Struggled through 3 last night, ugh.

This and the force awakens really are immense beginnings to the Disney ownership.

Deffo watch a new hope if you can. Rogue does add a lot of extra dimensions to it.

Rogue One Blu-Ray Available for Pre-Order for an April 4 Release! - http://bit.ly/2kENt8z

Got my rogue one DVD early.

They have *definitely* worked on Tarkin. He looks 100% real. Totally flawless.

Think they exchanged the opening title card too but can't remember. Looks different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Hopefully they fix the ****e Leia CGI at the end.

Looks pretty good now

Man. The last 45 minutes of this film are just glorious.
    The space battle and editing of it intercut with the Rebels in the base is just so brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Looks pretty good now

Didn't catch this in the cinema. Jesus, how bad was it for the theatrical release if you think it looks pretty good now?! Methinks its simply that you're sitting at couch distance from a TV screen. I just watched it on the oul projector at 130" diagonal and blown up that big its pretty bad. Tarkin was OK...until he spoke. They still haven't nailed mouths when speaking even with mouth mocap.

Gotta disagree. Leia looks way way better now too

You're watching on a projector in fairness. Hardly known for their resolution quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

changes I noticed:
    "Rogue One" title on Star Background instead of Blue
    K2 got to finish his "bad feeling about this" line in the lift
    K2 Death scene had waaay more storm troopers than before
    Felt to me like the "hammerhead" scene in the space battle seemed to come much later in the movie than previously?
    Also felt like the Mon Mothma/Bail organa Dialog had improved clarity?
    Krennic seems to have developed more of a lisp?
    Or maybe was all my imagination!

Advertisement