Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Had a look. Leia definitely looks way better. In the cinema she felt airbrushed in. Here she looks like she fits properly and her scene is short and she isn't looking at or moving around anyone in particular.

Though the CG of Tarkin is noticeable now. Might be because I watched this Roger Rabbit discussion since Rogue One:

It's the little things.

Back when it was 3D in the cinema, his forehead looked ok but something about it is more noticably CG now.
    Then his behaviour around Krennic is odd. He behaves in contrast to how Ben Mendelsohn acts. His eyes look fine but he's just not looking to right place. He also acts more like a block moving about and doesn't appear to acknowledge Mendelsohn is there but is able to move around him as if he was paying attention.
    Mendelsohns face & makeup is also a little different in tone to Tarkins so it highlights that something is off too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Slydice wrote: »
    Had a look. Leia definitely looks way better. In the cinema she felt airbrushed in. Here she looks like she fits properly and her scene is short and she isn't looking at or moving around anyone in particular.

Though the CG of Tarkin is noticeable now. Might be because I watched this Roger Rabbit discussion since Rogue One:

It's the little things.

Back when it was 3D in the cinema, his forehead looked ok but something about it is more noticably CG now.
    Then his behaviour around Krennic is odd. He behaves in contrast to how Ben Mendelsohn acts. His eyes look fine but he's just not looking to right place. He also acts more like a block moving about and doesn't appear to acknowledge Mendelsohn is there but is able to move around him as if he was paying attention.
    Mendelsohns face & makeup is also a little different in tone to Tarkins so it highlights that something is off too.

On the eyes. Look at a new hope again. That's exactly how he is in that. He's almost always looking off left or right when he's talking to someone.
    I thought he looked flawless in this. His movement was kind of off for me and that was the tell. The movement seemed wrong. Weird n jerky. They've fixed it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

nah, somethings off

he connects with eye contact in new hope but feels off in rogue one

new hope eye contact:
    412240.jpg

feels off in rogue one:
    412241.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have they actually officially made all these changes to the home release? I mean, do we have confirmation of some sort?

The long list someone posted up above no I don't think so. The film is a lock upon release they haven changed things further for it. There's been enough whinging and uproar about it.
    Further work on some CGI though definitely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Very enjoyable movie on repeat viewing...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

geecee wrote: »
    changes I noticed:
    "Rogue One" title on Star Background instead of Blue
    K2 got to finish his "bad feeling about this" line in the lift
    K2 Death scene had waaay more storm troopers than before
    Felt to me like the "hammerhead" scene in the space battle seemed to come much later in the movie than previously?
    Also felt like the Mon Mothma/Bail organa Dialog had improved clarity?
    Krennic seems to have developed more of a lisp?
    Or maybe was all my imagination!

Pretty sure that was all your imagination! Sorry, really don't think anything changed.

That said, Tarkin and Leia do look better, but I think that's more from the smaller screen/format being more forgiving than any extra work put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭geecee

CatInABox wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was all your imagination! Sorry, really don't think anything changed.

That said, Tarkin and Leia do look better, but I think that's more from the smaller screen/format being more forgiving than any extra work put into it.

The Rogue One Title on the Star background is absolutely new, prior to this release it was on a Sky Blue background

Also in the recent copy I watched K2 got to say "I've got a bad feeling about this" in the theatrical release he only said "I've got a bad feeling..." before the blaster door shut on him

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The Rogue One Title on the Star background is absolutely new, prior to this release it was on a Sky Blue background

It was on a star background when I saw it at the cinema.
    Also in the recent copy I watched K2 got to say "I've got a bad feeling about this" in the theatrical release he only said "I've got a bad feeling..." before the blaster door shut on him

If true, a change for the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Yep, don't recall anything but a star filled background for the title. I clearly remember thinking it was an awful way to start a Star Wars film. Omitting the usual crawl was a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The cinema background was most definitely a starscape - maybe you saw some sort of different regional release? A bright blue background just sounds incredibly....awful and ill-fitting, and wouldn't really make much sense when the opening scene is dark.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Either your recollection is wrong, or you managed to watch a workprint in the cinema. The title didn't change, and neither did the scene you're referring to with K2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought it was the others cutting him off mid sentence by telling him to shut up?

It was. That was the joke on the often (and quite unfunny) phrase that's repeated in every Star Wars film. He doesn't get it out fully, both Jyn and Cassian tell him to be quiet.

So, unless they re-shot this for some odd reason, I can't see it being any other way on the home release.

Seriously, nothing has changed. It's the same film, no changes, none whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Does anybody else feel that the stark landscapes such as Skellig don't suit the tone and feel of Star Wars? It takes the fantasy feel out of it for me, as if they are trying to give it more of a visual edge.

The scenes in Iceland and the Maldives were fine in 'Rogue One', but the end of 'The Force Awakens' with Skellig and its seagulls took me right out of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Seanachai wrote: »
    Does anybody else feel that the stark landscapes such as Skellig don't suit the tone and feel of Star Wars? It takes the fantasy feel out of it for me, as if they are trying to give it more of a visual edge.

Del Norte California (Endor), Finse Norway (Hoth), Tunisia (Tattooine), Death Valley California (Tattooine again)... Star Wars has never shied away from filming in "real" locations.

Star Wars has never shied away from filming in "real" locations.

In fairness, if you were raised on the Prequels, you might think Star Wars means green screen.

Lots of us old-timers were excited by the early set stuff from Ep VII precisely because it seemed to have sets, actors and physical effects in actual locations.

Del Norte California (Endor), Finse Norway (Hoth), Tunisia (Tattooine), Death Valley California (Tattooine again)... Star Wars has never shied away from filming in "real" locations.

You're right, it hasn't, my point is the choice of real locations, I kind of get that they are trying to convey a more serious tone but using the stark landscapes of Iceland in particular is just not suited to Star Wars. The black beach and the haze in the air takes away from the production that defines the series. A stunning place, but it doesn't dovetail with the look of SW imo. The scenes from Jordan were great and even the Maldives to a certain extent. Cold realism is great, but only when it marries with the overall artistic tone of a movie, otherwise it only takes you out of the frame into a landscape that is more suited to the Alien series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭budgemook

You're right, it hasn't, my point is the choice of real locations, I kind of get that they are trying to convey a more serious tone but using the stark landscapes of Iceland in particular is just not suited to Star Wars. The black beach and the haze in the air takes away from the production that defines the series. A stunning place, but it doesn't dovetail with the look of SW imo. The scenes from Jordan were great and even the Maldives to a certain extent. Cold realism is great, but only when it marries with the overall artistic tone of a movie, otherwise it only takes you out of the frame into a landscape that is more suited to the Alien series.

which films / scenes / locations do you think look better in a Star Wars film, if you don't mind me asking?

budgemook wrote: »
    which films / scenes / locations do you think look better in a Star Wars film, if you don't mind me asking?

Tunisia for I & IV, Norway for V, Italy for wedding scene in II, Death Valley USA for IV. There are lots of different locations around the world that would be suitable, just so long as they don't look like they should be in a Christopher Nolan or Ridley Scott film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

My interpretation of the comments above is that every planet in the Star Wars universe must look like what we've been shown before or else is looks out of place.

We're talking about a UNIVERSE! Is it really that jarring to show a water planet with a solitary island on it represented by the Skelligs? This universe is practically defined by a diverse set of extremes on planets... deserts, oceans, sky, global city, snow, jungle, lava, etc. I reckon the real reason the Skelligs are jarring is that we (Irish) all go "Hey the Skelligs! I'm from Ireland! That's in Ireland! Go Ireland!".

Bacchus wrote: »
    We're talking about a UNIVERSE!

Well, at least a galaxy.

I would have the opposite criticism of Ep VII. Hooray, they did not drag us back to Tatooine, but boo! Jakku was another desert planet exactly like it.

Rogue One had that Iceland planet, some dark place with the Imperial labs, and a tropical atoll planet, but Jedha was yet another desert.

My interpretation of the comments above is that every planet in the Star Wars universe must look like what we've been shown before or else is looks out of place.

We're talking about a UNIVERSE! Is it really that jarring to show a water planet with a solitary island on it represented by the Skelligs? This universe is practically defined by a diverse set of extremes on planets... deserts, oceans, sky, global city, snow, jungle, lava, etc. I reckon the real reason the Skelligs are jarring is that we (Irish) all go "Hey the Skelligs! I'm from Ireland! That's in Ireland! Go Ireland!".

For me it's about tone, same with music, an album can have variety on it but it's not good when it veers off course too much. I'm not saying SW has to look vintage all the time, just in keeping with the warmth and magic that was set with the originals.

It would be like watching one of the Nolan batman films and it switching to a scene with the same lighting and appearance as a rom-com set in New York and then back again. The whole appeal of the franchise was the fantasy and unreality of it, but with the latest they seem to have gone for a gritty realism in some scenes and I don't think it fits. The cinematography in them is great, it's just in the wrong film.

I'd have no problem with them using Irish locations, maybe a country scene at sunset on a rare summers day, skellig is a great location, for GOT or something similar maybe.

Tony EH wrote: »
    The scenes in Iceland and the Maldives were fine in 'Rogue One', but the end of 'The Force Awakens' with Skellig and its seagulls took me right out of the film.

Me too. But It's purely cos were familiar with skellig.

TBH the only location I thought was totally ill fitting was the Maldives
    The empire builds its main archive. On a beach planet?

Cmon

Every other location in rogue one was spectacular.
    They'll never do alien landscape with purple sand and green skies etc

That's Star Trek. Never be Star Wars.

For me it's about tone, same with music, an album can have variety on it but it's not good when it veers off course too much. I'm not saying SW has to look vintage all the time, just in keeping with the warmth and magic that was set with the originals.

It would be like watching one of the Nolan batman films and it switching to a scene with the same lighting and appearance as a rom-com set in New York and then back again. The whole appeal of the franchise was the fantasy and unreality of it, but with the latest they seem to have gone for a gritty realism in some scenes and I don't think it fits. The cinematography in them is great, it's just in the wrong film.

I'd have no problem with them using Irish locations, maybe a country scene at sunset on a rare summers day, skellig is a great location, for GOT or something similar maybe.

As someone said it may depend on which Star Wars films you saw first.

As someone who grew up viewing the original Star Wars as a set of films placed in a used universe, I have it in mind that its landscapes are gritty, rough and worn. Tattooine, Endor, Hoth etc are all pretty much left as they are in their real life locations with little added. Because they don't need much addition. Likewise, I thought the locations in the two Disney films were fine, with the exception of the Skelligs and their aforementioned seagulls squawking around the place. I'm with Yoda on seagulls. :mad:

That kind of thing was largely missing in the fake landscapes of the prequels.

It's set in a galaxy, but I get what you're saying, there's going to be variety within that galaxy obviously but Middle Earth for example is a self-contained realm and they don't stray too far from the overall look while showing different regions.

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    TBH the only location I thought was totally ill fitting was the Maldives
    The empire builds its main archive. On a beach planet?

Thought it was grand myself. Maybe the lads like to kick back after a hard day's archiving? :D

Plus, we get an brand new Imperial, the Shoretrooper (or whatever the hell they're called).

Advertisement