Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Gareth Edwards said there is a 4K/ restored print of a new hope at least cos he watched it at Skywalker ranch when working on rogue one.

So the inevitable fan edit has arrived. It has a crawl!!

An opening text crawl, which summarizes the events of Rogue One leading up to the battle of Scarif.
    Insertion of several music cues from John Williams. About 50-60% of the film's score is now comprised of classic Star Wars cues.
    Classic Star Wars sound effects added in certain places, along with a few old-school wipe transitions.
    Other cuts and adjustments to scenes throughout the battle, either to fit the new music cues or to pace the film a bit differently. For example, there isn't as much back-and-forth cutting between all the different characters anymore. This may have originally been to make the film seem more exciting, but it also made it difficult to follow the action at times.
    The film ends exactly as it did in the original version, making it a perfect segue into A New Hope.

http://www.maple-films.com/rogue-one-fanedit

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

...is just under 50 minutes long...

pffft :rolleyes:

I have this guys version of 'The Hobbit' with all the shite cut out of it and it's pretty good. Flows more like the book and isn't so painful to watch.

But a 50 minute 'Rogue One'...nah.

ALways meant to wtch the hobbit edit. Heard great things.

As to this, the addition of the John Williams music and cutting down of all the needless scenes might just make it my preferred version of this film:)
    Definitely watching it later.

Can't think of any needless scenes. Except maybe Bor Gullet. But that was probably just a compromise. I like to think that Gareth Edwards wanted to show the rebels beating ten shades out of the Empire pilot, but Disney said no. :pac:

If I had my way Bodhi would have been hooked up to an R5 unit and his balls electrocuted til he passed out.

• Advertisement

Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It got rid of Vader's horrible "aspirations" line. It has my vote.

Don't know people have against that line. :confused:

It's simply sarcasm, which is the only type of humour I like seeing in a Star Wars film and it fits well with Vader's other sarky lines.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Don't know people have against that line. :confused:

It's simply sarcasm, which is the only type of humour I like seeing in a Star Wars film and it fits well with Vader's other sarky lines.

Completely agree. Anakin had a wicked sense of humour/biting quips. Loads of it in the clone wars series.

That line is totally him and Vader. Makes perfect sense it's in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Had a watch, made a few notes as it went along. Opening crawl was alright. Had to pause and reread the last paragraph.

First.. a small thing: the first scene with k2so felt tacked in.

The Big Sin
    Using Vaders theme for a fighter ship crashing at the furthest gaps between Vader appearances. Has me thinking they probably screwed up the music throughout, I just wasn't paying attention enough cos I wanted to give it a fair go.

Anyway...

Dimished the roles of Jyn and Chirrut. Increase for Cassian
    The Jyn leadership role gutted and now seems to rely on Cassian more.
    Introductory scenes had Cassian gaining more of a leader angle.
    Final Jyn/Krennick scene became about Cassian coming to the rescue
    Scene of Jyn being held back from Krennick by Cassian now just gives more clout to Cassian as leader

Dimished the role of Chirrut
    Chirrut talking about the force came outta nowhere
    Chirruts death had its emotional connection gutted

Grounding
    The strength of conviction given for going against the rebel alliance or the sacrifice they knew they were making was lessened because so small of a background was given.

Vader inclusion pro and con
    Vader felt introduced better.
    Vaders inclusion at the end now felt a bit different. Like more predictable or something.

Bazes sacrifice
    The grounding for Bazes sacrifice felt diminished but relatively similar to the original cut cos of Chirruts diminished role.

Admiral Raddus role clearer
    The tactical role of Admiral Raddus made more clear. His being up front and strategising and all that.

Hammerhead appearred too fast
    There was a weak consistency of the battle by bringing in the hammerhead so quickly when the rest of the battle showed that getting stuff done takes time.

Tarkin worked ok
    It was a brief use of Tarkin and he didn't need to look someone in the eye so that felt ok.. ish.

• Advertisement

Cool review. You should send it to them. They'll keep tinkering with it with an eye to improving.

All they have to do is put a crawl on the opening. Shorten the scenes where a 5ft slip of a girl is knocking the **** out of 6ft armed, armoured and trained military men.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

david75 wrote: »
    Cool review. You should send it to them. They'll keep tinkering with it with an eye to improving.

Pasted it as a comment to their blogpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

david75 wrote: »
    Completely agree. Anakin had a wicked sense of humour/biting quips. Loads of it in the clone wars series.

That line is totally him and Vader. Makes perfect sense it's in there.

It's awful. Vader should say classic lines like "I find your lack of faith disturbing". Not terrible puns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

jpm4 wrote: »
    It's awful. Vader should say classic lines like "I find your lack of faith disturbing". Not terrible puns.

The line was fine. The delivery was bit off. It should have been more deadpan, but it's hardly an issue for me.

Which is near enough to a pun in itself. :confused:

Seriously, "Be careful not to choke on your aspirations" is no worse than "I find your lack of faith disturbing" or "Apology accepted Capt. Needa".

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Which is near enough to a pun in itself. :confused:

Seriously, "Be careful not to choke on your aspirations" is no worse than "I find your lack of faith disturbing" or "Apology accepted Capt. Needa".

How is it a pun?

Anyways, each to their own, it just sounds so forced. I can practically see Vader winking at the audience delivering that one.

If you have a problem with 'apology accepted captain needa' you don't even get Star Wars. I'm sorry but that is Vader. He's an evil bastard but one with a sarccy streak. His line in rogue one is perfect and within character.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,745 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

"No disintegrations" was always a fairly humorous line too.

How is it a pun?

Anyways, each to their own, it just sounds so forced. I can practically see Vader winking at the audience delivering that one.

"Near enough" - as in not quite, but close in flavour.

And I don't think it was any more forced that his sarky lines from the other films.

Vader has contempt for most of the officers in the Imperial Navy. He finds their ambition to be their undoing and doesn't make any attempts to disguise it. That's my take on it anyway.

I don't see any real difference here in his sarcastic admonition of Krennic to his putting down of the officer on the Death Star or his novel way of relieving officers of their duties when the fail him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

"Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them"

"The Emperor isn't as forgiving as I am."

The guy's a laugh riot. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Agreed. There has always been a bit of cheeky messing behind the black mask.

I think Some People are over thinking the Krennick interaction. It was funny and perfectly in character with Vader. There are plenty of examples where Vader, throughout all 6 movies (even as whiny Anakin) brought a bit of a laugh even into perilous situations.. also remember in the prequels, Obi - one regularly made some cringe worthy jokes "no robot jokes". No surprise that Vader kept some of this humour....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I think it's very obvious that Anakin/Vader thinks he's funny.

Whether you find him funny or not is a different issue.

I find him sarcastic. Sarcasm can be funny.

Ergo...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ah, now I get it...

"I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere."

He's being sarcastic there!

No. He just changed his mind. He consistently changes his mind in fairness through the films.
    CqArV1aXEAAqw-w.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

So i watched Rogue One again last night, gotta be honest its a cracking movie that for me gets better with each watch imo.

Vader is awesome, Krenic is awesome, the relationship between Jyn and Cassian is great, Tarkin if friggin awesome.

Such a great watch!

"Red leader this is gold leader" : )

Some little things im still picking up in the background that i hadn't noticed before like mouse droids

Its brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

DivingDuck wrote: »
    I think it's very obvious that Anakin/Vader thinks he's funny.

Whether you find him funny or not is a different issue.

I'd find him funny so he doesnt force choke me to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I'd find him funny so he doesnt force choke me to death.

Can you fool a man who can read minds, though?

Maybe he'd appreciate the self-preservation or sycophantry...?

Advertisement