Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: Rogue One *spoilers from post 1195*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Burgo wrote: »
    Ben Mendelsohn could be Tarkin, he does look a bit like Peter Cushing. Unlikely I know.

gallery-1460037263-rogue-one-star-wars-ben-mendelsohn-grand-moff-tarkin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

zerks wrote: »

I wonder will Disney do what they did with Jeff Bridges in Tron where they used the special effects to make him younger? I don't know how it works and there were talks of them using footage of him and putting it through that special effects thing!

Then of course they did use a guy in ROTS, albeit for only seconds at the end.

I love the trailer for Rogue Nation, sets a dark and certainly different tone from TFA. Also think they really know how to make a trailer ! Some studios are just shocking at trailers, these guys know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Drumpot wrote: »

Then of course they did use a guy in ROTS, albeit for only seconds at the end.

Was that a real actor though? I watched ROTS recently and I genuinely thought they did a CGI job on Tarkin, hence his distance from the camera in the shot. Maybe ROTS is so full of CGI, by the end, its difficult to distinguish the real from the CGI. :pac:

Jump to 1:15.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,285 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Links234 wrote: »
    It was almost blink and you'd miss it, but he's a fantastic actor and it's a shame he didn't get another crack at Tarkin, this time with some dialogue.

It wouldn't look right though Links.

And you simply can't replace Cushy.

But, I spose something has to be done. Tarkin was in command of the Death Star, so he'll need to be present in some form. Assuming this is the Death Star from Star Wars that we're talking about? It might be another?

zerks wrote: »

[Geektime]He's wearing the insignia of a fleet Admiral. Tarkin was a Grand Moff when he was tasked with overseeing the construction of the Death Star. More of a Governor type rank, although still military. He had that rank by the time teh Rebels stole the blueprints of the Station.[/Geektime]

Although, you could be right in this films context. Disney has pretty much abandoned the Star Wars expanded universe (plus back stories) that were built up after the original trilogy ended. So anything's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Falthyron wrote: »
    Was that a real actor though? I watched ROTS recently and I genuinely thought they did a CGI job on Tarkin, hence his distance from the camera in the shot. Maybe ROTS is so full of CGI, by the end, its difficult to distinguish the real from the CGI. :pac:

Jump to 1:15.

Ugh, so many transition wipes. It's like a bloody Powerpoint presentation. Having said that this was the one part of the prequels I wanted to continue, I wanted to see more of Darth Vader in the suit and more Empire-building.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ugh, so many transition wipes. It's like a bloody Powerpoint presentation. Having said that this was the one part of the prequels I wanted to continue, I wanted to see more of Darth Vader in the suit and more Empire-building.

I always wished the prequels started with AOTC with a nod to the TPM in terms of how Anakin was once a slave on Tatooine and then ROTS being the middle film with a third film showing Vader wiping out the Jedi post ROTS. It just wasn't to be. Maybe we'll get that film somewhere down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Tony EH wrote: »
    [Geektime]He's wearing the insignia of a fleet Admiral. Tarkin was a Grand Moff when he was tasked with overseeing the construction of the Death Star. More of a Governor type rank, although still military. He had that rank by the time teh Rebels stole the blueprints of the Station.[/Geektime]

Although, you could be right in this films context. Disney has pretty much abandoned the Star Wars expanded universe (plus back stories) that were built up after the original trilogy ended. So anything's possible.

Sure it could be Thrawn then going by the uniform :pac:

Disney made most of the EU stuff, even set before the prequels as part of the "legends" now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Falthyron wrote: »
    Was that a real actor though?

Yeah, Wayne Pygram. He was wearing some heavy makeup to really match Cushing. But I can only think that his role must have originally been much more substantial, or why else get an actor of his calibre in there, he can do the cold, menacing villain thing so perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Vader is in this. Wasn't it confirmed? Wasn't the special effects guys talking about it or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

.ak wrote: »
    Vader is in this. Wasn't it confirmed? Wasn't the special effects guys talking about it or something?

As a cameo afaik

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think Vader would be perfect here as a looming, background threat. Someone who keeps coming close to entering the picture (and if he did everything would be scuttled in a moment), but the story and characters manage to stay ahead of him, mostly out of a desperate fear from all sides. By all accounts those in the Empire were just as terrifield of him as the Rebels, and would probably be eager to keep Rogue Ones' spy problem an internal issue and avoid ... management taking control :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote:
    I think Vader would be perfect here as a looming, background threat. Someone who keeps coming close to entering the picture (and if he did everything would be scuttled in a moment), but the story and characters manage to stay ahead of him, mostly out of a desperate fear from all sides. By all accounts those in the Empire were just as terrifield of him as the Rebels, and would probably be eager to keep Rogue Ones' spy problem an internal issue and avoid ... management taking control

I honestly don't think this would work unless this is your first Star Wars film. Its difficult to have someone as a threat in the background when they've already been humanised and unmsked in other films. You'd also be unnecessarily teasing the audience with something they already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

I honestly feel like I may have gone slightly mad, everyone it seems is simply raving over this trailer, I on the otherhand think it looks ****e, absolutely positively ****e... I'm not arrogant enough to believe I'm right whilst everyone else is wrong so I'm left questioning my sanity.. Not one person has commented on that God awful alarm that plays over half the trailer disguising both score and dialogue? It's going to be ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I honestly feel like I may have gone slightly mad, everyone it seems is simply raving over this trailer, I on the otherhand think it looks ****e, absolutely positively ****e... I'm not arrogant enough to believe I'm right whilst everyone else is wrong so I'm left questioning my sanity.. Not one person has commented on that God awful alarm that plays over half the trailer disguising both score and dialogue? It's going to be ****e
    Look up the teasers for many classic films and see just how poor they look with piecemeal bits of story just cobbled together.

Or in other words: Trailers gonna trail!

Do you want to tell us why you think it's shite?

So far it looks better than 'The Force Awakens'. Which admittedly just scraped an average.

At this point I'm more interested in looking at 'Rogue One' than Episode VIII, TBPH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yeah, I'm seriously sick of the whole LOUD NOISES trailers, but honestly, I can look past that, it just seems to be the in thing, along with sombre piano versions of old themes when it comes to sequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

faceman wrote: »
    Trailer was great and I'm usually super cynical.

But that poxy nostalgic slow played piano of theme tunes has to stop. It's irritating and cheap.

Other than that great trailer.

The music nerd in me is more annoyed that it's the Force leitmotif, and it's just pure lazy writing.

Unless she's force sensitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

To me personally the trailer was absolutely stellar and a prime example of how to market a movie - the use of a subtle score with the overwhelming alarm sound worked excellently to my mind.

I think this has the potential to be a better film than The Force Awakens - something I hadn't really considered until I saw the trailer.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Do you want to tell us why you think it's shite?

The director has a proven record of producing nothing but.. In my opinion of course, I'm not going to argue with someone if they enjoyed Godzilla. The line " This is a rebellion isn't it, I rebel," is a line that would be ripped apart by most was it uttered in any movie but Star Wars it would seem. But mainly, out of an entire galaxy of possibilities, for this, the first spin off of many, this it would appear is a coming-of-age tale about a young orphan finding themselves in the midst of war...it's incredibly disappointing that they haven't tried to make this stand apart from the main episodes. Again this is just my opinion based on one trailer that may well have been edited without any input from the director.

• Advertisement

I think this has the potential to be a better film than The Force Awakens - something I hadn't really considered until I saw the trailer.

Of course it does... It also has equal potential to be as poor as the prequels. All we have is this one trailer so until it's actually released we're all just using our best guesses, no one opinion is definitive. I am truly routing for this movie as I do adore old school Sci Fantasy I'm just amazed at how much my opinion on this trailer conflicts with popular opinion, this hasn't happened to me since... the trailer for Episode I.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

It makes sense to have a new lead character from whose viewpoint you follow the events in the movie. Otherwise the movie would be a nothing more than a sequence of events we already know the outcome more or less.

If the movie is as good as the trailer suggests then happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Drumpot wrote: »
    I love the trailer for Rogue Nation, sets a dark and certainly different tone from TFA.
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to not get Tom Cruise and Star Wars mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I'm a Star Wars fan from day 1. There was nothing like it at the time to capture a kids imagination. I watched the films multiple times, I had the paperbacks, the computer games, quite a lot of stuff like that. The X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter space combat sim is the still unrivalled Star Wars game btw.
    All that has stayed with me through the years and I have always had a love of science fiction and space opera. Star Wars played a huge role in that and to this day - with all its space opera flaws - it's still my favourite Sci-fi universe.
    However, back then what buggered me was that it always took sooo bloody long for the next movie to come out.

The fact that they are now delving into side stories, that characters, dialogues, special effects are up-to-date is just fantastic news for any Star Wars fan imho. As far as I'm concerned they can make two every year. I can't get enough of it.

To me this trailer looks really good, I can't wait, and I'm looking forward to many many more movies in the Star Wars universe.

The theme is also a good one imo. A few years ago a fan project made a movie about the capturing of the shuttle Tydirium. Unfortunately while it went quite far down the road and had really promising trailers and was supposed to be finished but for the final cut it eventually never took off although it wasn't torpedoed by the official right holders. Dunno what happened really, very cloudy in the end but the makers claim its still going to come out eventually. But anyway it shows there is a huge interest in the universe and in side stories.

polydactyl wrote: »
    I assume she falls ins love with Luke " albeit not shown just hinted" and she is Reys mother

I really hope this doesn't happen, these films are set in an entire galaxy so I think we need to see that not everyone is connected to the Skywalkers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I honestly don't think this would work unless this is your first Star Wars film. Its difficult to have someone as a threat in the background when they've already been humanised and unmsked in other films. You'd also be unnecessarily teasing the audience with something they already know.

I think though having unmasked, and essentially defanged Vader with the prequels, turning him into an unstoppable force of nature would at least go some way to reestablish him as a threat - and done without showy FX or lightsaber play. Afterall, in New Hope he was just a lapdog of Tarkin, scowling about the place and being a threat.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I think though having unmasked, and essentially defanged Vader with the prequels, turning him into an unstoppable force of nature would at least go some way to reestablish him as a threat - and done without showy FX or lightsaber play. Afterall, in New Hope he was just a lapdog of Tarkin, scowling about the place and being a threat.

TBH I was talking more about the original trilogy than the prequels, we know that they're good in him deep down which eventually wins out and we've seen the withered old man beneath the mask. Going back and showing as a big bad wouldn't work for, obviously the characters in the universe don't have all that knowledge but the audience does and (for me anyway) that would take away from any potential threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

apologies if this has been asked already....

is this a follow on from The Force Awakens??

are they using different characters for each star wars movie??

fryup wrote: »
    apologies if this has been asked already....

is this a follow on from The Force Awakens??

are they using different characters for each star wars movie??

It's set between the prequels and the original trilogy. You're not the first person to ask which is worrying from a marketing perspective. They could have made a mistake by not using 'Episode VII' in any of promotional material for TFA.

Speaking of which, I wonder if Rogue One will have a crawl.

• Advertisement

The director has a proven record of producing nothing but.. In my opinion of course, I'm not going to argue with someone if they enjoyed Godzilla. The line " This is a rebellion isn't it, I rebel," is a line that would be ripped apart by most was it uttered in any movie but Star Wars it would seem. But mainly, out of an entire galaxy of possibilities, for this, the first spin off of many, this it would appear is a coming-of-age tale about a young orphan finding themselves in the midst of war...it's incredibly disappointing that they haven't tried to make this stand apart from the main episodes. Again this is just my opinion based on one trailer that may well have been edited without any input from the director.

Um...ok.

Can't say I agree though.

If it is another orphan scenario, it might be a little disappointing, as obviously we've done that. But, if handled well in a good story (unlike a lot of things in 'The Force Awakens') it won't matter.

Personally, I like the fact that it has bugger all to do with a Skywalker and I appreciate the serious tone that comes across in the trailer. Something that was lacking in Episode VII. 'The Empire Strikes Back' is rightly considered the best Star Wars film, largely because of its tone. There's no silly laughs in it and irritating, goofball, characters like Finn or ewoks.

When your characters take themselves and their situation seriously, so does your audience.

Advertisement