Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British royal visit

Options
  • 14-05-2015 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Will it be possible to see the royal couple next week? Eg is it worth standing at the side of the road to get a glimpse, or am I wasting my time trying? I see the NUIG reception is invite only.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Will it be possible to see the royal couple next week? Eg is it worth standing at the side of the road to get a glimpse, or am I wasting my time trying? I see the NUIG reception is invite only.
    You can stand on University Rd and gawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

We have a just made up anti-monarchist group in Galway now too.
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-anti-monarchy-group-hits-out-at-planned-royal-visit-2/
    I imagine most of the 10 members already know each other though their membership of some other anti stuff groups in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

dloob wrote: »
    http://connachttribune.ie/galway-anti-monarchy-group-hits-out-at-planned-royal-visit-2/
    I imagine most of the 10 members already know each other though their membership of some other anti stuff groups in Galway.

That is very progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I'm a little confused. Are they anti-monarchist or anti-British? If this kind of anti-monarchism prevails we can forget about future state visits from Belgium, Norway, Monaco etc..
    If anti-British then Britain becoming a republic won't necessarily cure the cold shoulder.
    What armies are getting up to around the world should rule out quite a few.
    And as for armies misbehaving in Ireland, that should make quite a few from Northern parts, some of them government figures albeit non-royal ones, distinctly unwelcome around Galway.
    The trouble about having no truck with people you disagree with on one thing or another is that it can end with you talking to yourself, having nobody else to talk to, except perhaps ten people in Galway who agree with you about everything. It generally means that only one of the ten people is thinking. Of course, that could lead to savings in these straitened times, as we may as well close down all our enbassies abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

There's the druid theatre thing too is it public?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Little My wrote: »
    There's the druid theatre thing too is it public?

As part of the Peoples Front Against Theatre i demand local access to the theatre to allow me my democratic right to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Mr Windsor can come and go as he wants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

biko wrote: »
    Mr Windsor can come and go as he wants

Mr Saxe-Coburg-Gotha

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

They should have a game of five-a-side instead. A bit of exercise and fresh air would do them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ludikrus wrote: »
    They should have a game of five-a-side instead. A bit of exercise and fresh air would do them good.

Ah come on, how are you supposed to run around with a tinfoil hat on your bonce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Will it be possible to see the royal couple next week? Eg is it worth standing at the side of the road to get a glimpse, or am I wasting my time trying?

I'd say it's most definitely a waste of time. The vids proving they're reptilian shapeshifters on youtube are good enough, no need to risk earning their cold-blooded ire attempting to see it for yourself in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm hoping that even these Reptilian Freemasons will know to avoid Lough Atalia's intergalactic tailback

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

It never even occured to me that anyone would want to see them I must say. I'm sure if they're going to Druid and Claddagh school you might be able to see them around there as they might not to able to disembark from their cars on private ground like they would in NUIG.

It's going to be mighty expensive I'd say. Someone who is a guard was telling me everyone is being pulled off normal duties to ensure security during the visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It never even occured to me that anyone would want to see them I must say. I'm sure if they're going to Druid and Claddagh school you might be able to see them around there as they might not to able to disembark from their cars on private ground like they would in NUIG.

It's going to be mighty expensive I'd say. Someone who is a guard was telling me everyone is being pulled off normal duties to ensure security during the visit.

Why would people not want to see them just because you don't, I am sure that a lot of people will turn out to welcome them to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Why would people not want to see them just because you don't, I am sure that a lot of people will turn out to welcome them to Galway

I didn't mean it in a prejudicial way, which I think is obvious enough from my post. It just hadn't occured to me that it'd be more than a quiet official visit in the same vein as a visit from Enda Kenny or someone unlikely to cause waves.
    I can't remember any visit that caused waves or where people were excited to see someone and were willing to stand out watching/welcoming anyone.

I hope it'll be peaceful and completely respectful. I've nothing against either of them as people.

Any connection with the visit and the sprucing up of the green area opposite Cathedral?
    Council appear to have spent a fortune on it - until it gets destroyed..

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Genuine question for those eager to see them - why? I find celebrity worship fairly odd at the best of times but there is at least some sense in applauding a talented individual who has achieved something significant. Are you fans of water polo and inbreeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Intifada wrote: »
    Genuine question for those eager to see them - why? I find celebrity worship fairly odd at the best of times but there is at least some sense in applauding a talented individual who has achieved something significant. Are you fans of water polo and inbreeding?

Water polo? Plenty of Water polo played in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Careful now! Water polo is taken quite seriously in Galway with 2 very successful clubs. The royals play just polo (-water +pony).

Sincere apologies to the water polo lads, I'll stick to the mints in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you fans of ... and inbreeding?

Can you explain exactly how the current visitors are involved in inbreeding?

I'm no fan of monarchy in any country. But if you're going to put claims out there, there should be some basis to 'em.

Back in reality, Galway Indo's Facebook page says that some traffic restrictions have started, and more are due tomorrow when there will be no parking in few places, a few closed roads in the Claddagh in also Flood Street. And Mr OBumble reports significant Garda presence (including a few on pushbikes) in the inner city streets today, too.

There are loads of Gardaí about. Wonder where in the country is short-staffed?
    Almost as bad as when Hillary came in 1999

Can you explain exactly how the current visitors are involved in inbreeding?

I'm no fan of monarchy in any country. But if you're going to put claims out there, there should be some basis to 'em.

Nah it was just a joke, settle down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Nah it was just a joke, settle down.

You are correct though, Elizabeth and Phillip are related, therefore Charles is a little bit inbred.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Hope it pisses rain on them tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I say now, if Edward and the Missus visited, the place would be black with people framing for a look.

I wish them well on their visit. Just another friendly state visit etc. all very ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Pugzilla wrote: »

its the north west, you dont need to hope. It pisses down on everybody up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Have to drive through the center of the city and out the west side of the city on Tuesday. This thing going to be causing any delays on the roads anywhere? Might add on some extra time to the trip anyway just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pugzilla wrote: »

There's always one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

The An Post Ras is also travelling through Galway this afternoon, finishing in Barna. However, there has been almost no publicity or information about road closures - there is one sign near Rusheen Bay saying traffic will be affected from 1:30 to 4:30 pm but that seems to be the height of it.

Just posted on twitter an hour ago:

https://twitter.com/anpostras/status/600572077087858688

Good to see they are planning on using the Galway city bypass before it has been built.......

Advertisement