Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British royal visit

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Hide the stash!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

I can't help but see any of these disparaging comments, and name calling as anything other than trolling. So that's how it will be dealt with from now on.

On a personal note, I don't buy into this whole '800 years' 'us vs them' undercurrent nonsense. A large portion of my grandmother's generation moved to England, all of my uncles and aunts on one side, though Irish by heritage are English. I couldn't give a fiddler's foreskin that Prince Charles and Camilla are over for a visit. I hope they enjoy themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Joan Burton is there!
    the cheek of her

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Raining hard now, not fun for the onlookers and Gardai down the Sparch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

If the Brits want to retain a symbolic shower of inbred overpaid toffs who have no actual power, what's the problem? It's them that have to pay taxes to fund their lifestyle, not you. Personally, I couldn't give a toss about them
    I couldn't give a fiddler's ... I hope they enjoy themselves

At least the Mods here have a sense of balance - you may not agree with the concept of a Monarchy (I don't) but it's a lot better than the self serving and corrupt administrations that existed in Ireland in days gone by. I can't comment on the current administration as I've been out of the country for some time.

This kind of rubbish is something I honestly thought was in the past where it belongs, sadly...

There's no excuse for personal insults like 'scum'. If you feel that strongly about it, pop along to the University and let your feelings be known - see how you get on.

The comments in this thread are perfect examples of some of the things that prompted me to leave in the first place, and it's not somewhere I'd care to return to, even for a short visit. No loss, says you. I have the same opinion - Nothing has changed there, no loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Did many people come out to watch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

10409742_10153312425831941_5466745608883914643_n.jpg?oh=efc60764de4997a021ce85a3bd2257fc&oe=55D2D58D

Someone's well in the spirit of the occasion!
    Wasn't expecting that but... fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I think Galway does these occasions so well. There seems to be absolutely no fuss, most people aren't really bothered as long as it doesn't affect their daily lives. I hope the 2 tourists enjoy their visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

benji2006 wrote: »
    The An Post Ras is also travelling through Galway this afternoon, finishing in Barna. However, there has been almost no publicity or information about road closures - there is one sign near Rusheen Bay saying traffic will be affected from 1:30 to 4:30 pm but that seems to be the height of it.

Just posted on twitter an hour ago:

https://twitter.com/anpostras/status/600572077087858688

Good to see they are planning on using the Galway city bypass before it has been built.......

Funnily enough th Ras was founded by a Republican cycling organisation which refused to recognise the two other 'partitionist' cycling federations. The Ras was known as Republicanism on Wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

cytop wrote: »
    At least the Mods here have a sense of balance
    So much so that criticising the concept of a monarchy or the colonel of the Paratroop Regiment is 'trolling'. Balance indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

cytop wrote: »
    At least the Mods here have a sense of balance - you may not agree with the concept of a Monarchy (I don't) but it's a lot better than the self serving and corrupt administrations that existed in Ireland in days gone by. I can't comment on the current administration as I've been out of the country for some time.

This kind of rubbish is something I honestly thought was in the past where it belongs, sadly...

There's no excuse for personal insults like 'scum'. If you feel that strongly about it, pop along to the University and let your feelings be known - see how you get on.

The comments in this thread are perfect examples of some of the things that prompted me to leave in the first place, and it's not somewhere I'd care to return to, even for a short visit. No loss, says you. I have the same opinion - Nothing has changed there, no loss.

Rest assured that Ireland is glad to have ejected another miserable bastard.

Mod: user banned for being uncivil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 cytop

Criticise all you want - but at least put your arguments forward in a rational way. Using words like 'scum' (Not saying that was you and I can't be bothered to scroll back to check) is not criticism; it's a personal insult, even if directed at a group of people.

Good for Billy, by the way. Nothing wrong with flying a flag. He was the same individualist back in the Bish.
    Rest assured that Ireland is glad to have ejected another miserable bastard

Not just the one - but look closely at what's left... Shouldn't take too long more before you have exactly what you want there.

Bye. I won't bother you again - you can have your narrow minded opinions all to yourself. There's nothing quite like preaching to converts to make you feel important.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

cytop wrote:
    Not just the one - but look closely at what's left... Shouldn't take too long more before you have exactly what you want there.

Less negative muppets walking around saying 'only in Ireland' and 'typical ireland' and other such rubbish. I'm sick of that ****.
    cytop wrote:
    Bye. I won't bother you again - you can have your narrow minded opinions all to yourself. There's nothing quite like preaching to converts to make you feel important.

Not preaching anything. Didnt espouse any opinions in this thread other than to criticise your tunnel view.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Had lunch sitting outside Wards. A significant protest element alright - I counted 8 or 9 Republican Sinn Fein members, 2 or 3 anti-austerity protesters, and about 20 Gardai, 2 horses, and 15 schoolkids wandering around seeing what was going on. THE RSF guys "entertained" us with a few renditions of "Go on home, British soldiers..." - limited repertoire and the singing was awful. The 2 lad with hoodies and scarves up to their eyes looked ridiculous...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Had lunch sitting outside Wards. A significant protest element alright - I counted 8 or 9 Republican Sinn Fein members, 2 or 3 anti-austerity protesters, and about 20 Gardai, 2 horses, and 15 schoolkids wandering around seeing what was going on. THE RSF guys "entertained" us with a few renditions of "Go on home, British soldiers..." - limited repertoire and the singing was awful. The 2 lad with hoodies and scarves up to their eyes looked ridiculous...

Do Wards do food? And if so, is it nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's quite nice actually, and good coffee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yep, great little deli, keen prices and Biko is spot on about the coffee. They also have a loyalty card so you get every tenth roll free basically...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

The staff in Ward's always look miserable. Not rude or anything, just always got the impression it was probably a crappy place to work.

Anyhoo, kind of forgot about this til mounted gardai started going past the window earlier (I live on Newcastle Rd). Was half tempted to scoot out and press the button on the pedestrian crossing across from the school when the motorcade was going past just to see if they'd stop, but didn't even give that much of a fcuk tbh. Also probably wouldn't have been in my top ten ideas, in hindsight :D

I've to go through town on foot there in a while, Newcastle to Forster Court, does anyone know if there are streets closed to pedestrians or anything or where I could get that info?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The staff in Ward's always look miserable. Not rude or anything, just always got the impression it was probably a crappy place to work.

Anyhoo, kind of forgot about this til mounted gardai started going past the window earlier (I live on Newcastle Rd). Was half tempted to scoot out and press the button on the pedestrian crossing across from the school when the motorcade was going past just to see if they'd stop, but didn't even give that much of a fcuk tbh. Also probably wouldn't have been in my top ten ideas, in hindsight :D

I've to go through town on foot there in a while, Newcastle to Forster Court, does anyone know if there are streets closed to pedestrians or anything or where I could get that info?
    Flood St,Claddagh and New Dock Street, wont affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

That post office is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

10409742_10153312425831941_5466745608883914643_n.jpg?oh=efc60764de4997a021ce85a3bd2257fc&oe=55D2D58D

Someone's well in the spirit of the occasion!
    Wasn't expecting that but... fair enough.

:mad: Did one of the staff put that up, think a phone call to an post is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya, you'd think that Post Office staff would know how to hang a flag the right way up.

Old pillar post boxes in Ireland still have British royal symbols on them - should we have them removed as a matter of urgency?? :rolleyes:

Tis no place for the butchers apron, talk about a fuss, all of the guards out on the junctions looking shifty, never seen so many of them about on my cross town trip earlier, saw that anpost race as well, looked like they'd taken a wrong turn somewhere..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

It's 2015, fair play to them I say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

It's 2015, fair play to them I say

Cringey bandwagon jumping should never be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

snubbleste wrote: »
    Gerry Adams on Skynews.
    Giving a shoutout to Cllr Mairead Farrell whose relative was murdered by UK forces

Could you recount what she was doing in Gibraltar at the time of her death?

For the sake of balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Ya, you'd think that Post Office staff would know how to hang a flag the right way up.

Perhaps its meant to be an irreverent pog-mo - thoin to the Passing Royal Entourage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What's all that about hanging a Brit flag on the window of the PO?

Fair enough welcome the Royal couple but that flag represents noting but murder and oppression, it's not called the Butchers Apron for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Cringey bandwagon jumping should never be celebrated.

I thought bandwagon jumping was a part of the Irish residency test

Advertisement