Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British royal visit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Can we ban all non-Galway people from this thread? They are taking life far too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

What's all that about hanging a Brit flag on the window of the PO?

Fair enough welcome the Royal couple but that flag represents noting but murder and oppression, it's not called the Butchers Apron for nothing.

Prince Charles is Colonel in Chief of the Parachute Regiment. Being against "murder and oppression" and yet welcoming his visit are sadly incompatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Intifada wrote: »
    Prince Charles is Colonel in Chief of the Parachute Regiment. Being against "murder and oppression" and yet welcoming his visit are sadly incompatible.

He is a visitor to the country, nothing more so no issue with that but whatever tool thought it was a good idea to hang a Union Flag needs to take a long hard look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can we ban all non-Galway people from this thread? They are taking life far too seriously.

Define a "Galway person"

chipsdave wrote: »
    Perhaps its meant to be an irreverent pog-mo - thoin to the Passing Royal Entourage ?

Indeed, I'd like to think it was deliberate - and if it was, it was indeed a very clever way to get a dig in. But I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Something I love about the Galway people is they like to have a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

old galway definition of a true galway person i heard a few places:

-born in galway
    and
    -has relative buried in Forthill cemetery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Looks like the big meeting passed without too much event although in the footage of the handshake Charles does look to be recoiling somewhat from Gerry. Gerry Adams looked a bit... taken aback or something afterwards in his comments to the media I thought.
    I'd love to know what was really said in that private 15 mins, while Charles seems pretty mild mannered he's known to be opinionated.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

USA USA USA!

stir stir

Yes to detract from the contentious issues of division let us enjoy some casual infighting!

I don't understand at all why people from Galway imagine we have a unique perspective on ALL matters, or such a great sense of humour,or such lighthearted world class banter. Haven't seen much evidence to suggest such a conclusion in these parts.

Define a "Galway person"

In this instance, those living in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

Mountbatten was murdered by a southerner and it is we Catholics in Northern Ireland who get the blame and stigma of terrorism attached to us, that irritates me so it does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Looking at the RTE news there and the amount of ordinary people brown nosing them, have they no pride or sense of history.
    I know the politicians have to do it but to see ordinary people do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Cringey bandwagon jumping should never be celebrated.

Or just the bandwagon you don't like? I find the whole "haha fcuk the queen, up the ra, tiocfaidh ar la" bandwagon pretty cringey.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Looking at the RTE news there and the amount of ordinary people brown nosing them, have they no pride or sense of history.
    I know the politicians have to do it but to see ordinary people do it.

Were you giving out about the Chinese president being "brown-nosed" on Sunday, or Barrack Obama when he visited?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

Obamas wee country doesn't have a history of terror against Irish Catholics, before you say it, Ulster catholics are still Irish catholics, it is an all-Ireland church.

The american army were based in my local area in WW2 in northern ireland and they were not bad fellows, they actually married local catholic women, my granny remembers them giving everyone chewing gum as paddys hadnt seen chewing gum at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Or just the bandwagon you don't like? I find the whole "haha fcuk the queen, up the ra, tiocfaidh ar la" bandwagon pretty cringey.

Yeah you are so right thinking for me.

No thats not it at all try not being presumptious. I found the whole Murica flag and **** ridiculous when it was going on. But yeah believe whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

In this instance, those living in Galway.

What about those not living in Galway anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Yeah you are so right thinking for me.

No thats not it at all try not being presumptious. I found the whole Murica flag and **** ridiculous when it was going on. But yeah believe whatever.

Fair enough, sorry. It's just usually when people are slagging people for any hint of a positive attitude towards a royal visit their motivations are a bit narrower than that :o my bad

Sofa King wrote: »
    What about those not living in Galway anymore?

Today's visit should affect them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

As with any tourist, or anybody, hope they're having a lovely time here - I know I am :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

As with any tourist, or anybody, hope they're having a lovely time here - I know I am :)

I managed to get a glimpse of the happy couple as they went in and out of NUIG. Glad I made the effort to go down there as I would have felt like I had missed something otherwise. Seems like it was a great promotion for Galway and the West- looked really good on RTE news tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Nice to see the royals settling right in

11261723_1605486723023158_6736671537059764946_n.jpg?oh=5549a164c8ae782c1b452afb7543e42e&oe=55D24C41

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

LiamNeeson wrote: »
    Obamas wee country doesn't have a history of terror against Irish Catholics, before you say it, Ulster catholics are still Irish catholics, it is an all-Ireland church.

You don't know your history. The US was virulently anti-Catholic, and anti-irish, for many years. Throughout the latter part of the 19th century the US was rife with anti-Irish prejudice.

This antipathy persisted throughout the first half of the 20th century. In 1928 a resurgent Ku-Klux-Klan marched on Washington in direct opposition to the candidacy of Al Smith for the office of the Presidency. Smith was the first Irish Catholic to run for the highest seat in the land, and the hatred he experienced throughout that campaign was unprecedented.

To date, JFK has been the only Catholic President of the US.

History is history. Times change. You can disagree with the concept of monarchy, but we should not turn our backs on the visit of Prince Charles because of some twisted notion of historic English oppression.

The ongoing political rapprochement between Ireland and the UK is something to be welcomed. I have lived through some very dark days between our two countries, but from my experience we are not that different.

Those dark days are behind us, and I for one am thankful for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Bit strange he isn't visiting the relatives of The Ballymurphy massacare when he is in Ireland, I would have thought that was more important than going to Galway so can see why the families are pissed off.

You don't know your history. The US was virulently anti-Catholic, and anti-irish, for many years. Throughout the latter part of the 19th century the US was rife with anti-Irish prejudice.

This antipathy persisted throughout the first half of the 20th century. In 1928 a resurgent Ku-Klux-Klan marched on Washington in direct opposition to the candidacy of Al Smith for the office of the Presidency. Smith was the first Irish Catholic to run for the highest seat in the land, and the hatred he experienced throughout that campaign was unprecedented.

To date, JFK has been the only Catholic President of the US.

History is history. Times change. You can disagree with the concept of monarchy, but we should not turn our backs on the visit of Prince Charles because of some twisted notion of historic English oppression.

The ongoing political rapprochement between Ireland and the UK is something to be welcomed. I have lived through some very dark days between our two countries, but from my experience we are not that different.

Those dark days are behind us, and I for one am thankful for that.

Behind us but not so far behind, there was after all a failed republican threat to the lives of the royals while they are here. We are still not far from the cusp of igniting trouble again. I don't think too many of the North's dead or those grieving for them would want to sacrifice another generation in the name of honouring their memory. They'll be honoured more in us choosing peace now even if it comes at the price of having to choose moving on over justifiable heartfelt grievance. I don't know how people in the North are doing it but if they can ,we can, and if we can facilitate a better future for them by not poking old wounds we should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

There was a 5k road race in Claregalway last night. It started at the corporate park (up behind the church) and when running from there up the hill a Garda estort with multiple Garda bikes and a few blacked out cars came the opposite direction (from Carnmore Cross towards Claregalway). They were pushing past very fast for cars sharing the road with a road race. I'm sure if the organisers knew they were expected they'd have held off for 5mins.

Seemed like the royal visitors but this was just after 8pm and I thought they were down around Gort in the evening. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

What's all that about hanging a Brit flag on the window of the PO?

Fair enough welcome the Royal couple but that flag represents noting but murder and oppression, it's not called the Butchers Apron for nothing.

Of course there was no Irish involvement in any of the murder and oppression in the name of the empire back in the day.
    Indeed I think the Connaght Rangers were nicknamed the Fluffy Bunnies.

b3cc4f96-664a-42cc-b5ed-05e871254694-620x424.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

J o e wrote: »
    There was a 5k road race in Claregalway last night. It started at the corporate park (up behind the church) and when running from there up the hill a Garda estort with multiple Garda bikes and a few blacked out cars came the opposite direction (from Carnmore Cross towards Claregalway). They were pushing past very fast for cars sharing the road with a road race. I'm sure if the organisers knew they were expected they'd have held off for 5mins.

Seemed like the royal visitors but this was just after 8pm and I thought they were down around Gort in the evening. Any ideas?

Maybe that was about the An Post Rás cycle race which was also around the place yesterday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I managed to get a glimpse of the happy couple as they went in and out of NUIG. Glad I made the effort to go down there as I would have felt like I had missed something otherwise. Seems like it was a great promotion for Galway and the West- looked really good on RTE news tonight.

Seems like quite a few turned out. A good day for the republic

Advertisement